Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lizard Wizard posted:

If nothing else, click this. The Wilkins Coffee commercials are gold.

Was Wilkins a coffee company or the Protection arm of the Mob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
As a self-proclaimed Muppet aficionado, the pilot didn't land for me but I think it did show potential. I have two concerns. First, the jokes weren't that funny, but I can chalk this up to pilot syndrome. Second, while I'm fine with the darker, more 'adult' focus, they definitely need to include more of the Muppet-brand of optimism.

The updated premise works well. The late night format is today's variety show and the characters translate nicely to their new roles. I'm hoping they designed the show to incorporate frequent guest stars because part of the Muppet charm is how they interact with humans.

I disagree with whoever said the characterization was off. Kermit, Fozzie, and Piggy have always been sad sacks who need each other to succeed. If there's one consistent message throughout all Muppet media, it's the importance of working together, being kind and loyal and supportive to your friends, community > individual, etc. The tension always comes when the Muppets are separated. The pilot introduced their current disharmony, and I imagine that'll be the through-line for the show: how do we put on a show when everyone is a walking disaster? On the lighter side, Gonzo's joke about camera cutaways being hackneyed fit perfectly. He's a whatever who loves the avante garde, so of course he's the perfect mouthpiece to question the show's tried format.

I'm going to keep watching. Hopefully they'll find the right balance as the season unfolds, but I don't think they have a lot of time before they risk cancellation. They might've used up any popular audience goodwill they had by placing too much emphasis on the "not yo mama's Muppets" angle right off the bat.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Holy poo poo, Proto-Kermit was ice cold.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Lizard Wizard posted:

That should have been the ending to Mad Men.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Was Wilkins a coffee company or the Protection arm of the Mob?

What do you mean "or"?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm just hoping we finally get an answer as to what happened to Skeeter and why every just pretends she never existed.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Are you goons seriously watching and criticizing a children's tv show?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
No.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
So why exactly are parents upset about this show? Isn't Modern Family considered a family show and they have adult situations?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

Are you goons seriously watching and criticizing a children's tv show?

No, please look for cartoon threads if you want to see that.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Jubs posted:

So why exactly are parents upset about this show? Isn't Modern Family considered a family show and they have adult situations?

The consensus I've seen is that certain parents (i.e. those from One Million Moms) are upset over its "perverted nature" because they cover topics about "sex and drugs". The jokes in the pilot were much more direct than what we've typically seen from past shows or movies featuring the Muppets, as opposed to simply alluding to more mature themes.

The Muppets' reputation amongst the general public is inoffensive, family-friendly humor - so it probably was a little jarring to some people who are only really familiar with the Muppets via their movies. It sounds to me like they're upset because they didn't bother to watch any previews or do enough research on the show before it aired.

Here's an article that's a good laugh:

Julie Gunlock from the NYPost posted:

ABC’s sordid prostitution of the once-sweet Muppets

ABC’s “The Muppets TV Show” is a betrayal of Jim Henson’s tender, optimistic vision — a pointless prostitution of a children’s entertainment franchise...

The utter dearth of kid-appropriate material is clearly intentional. As one of the show’s puppeteers suggested in the media last month, the show is “a little edgy.” Because that’s what The Muppets needed: an edge.

What’s next? Kermit deals with drug addiction, AIDS, gender reassignment surgery? Perhaps Miss Piggy (or Kermit’s new girlfriend) should deal with infertility. Or let’s all have a laugh riot while one of them visits an abortion clinic.

Source: http://nypost.com/2015/09/23/abcs-sordid-prostitution-of-the-once-sweet-muppets/

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

e: I mean seriously where is this hardcore edgy nympho Muppets show so I can watch it? These people are acting like someone filmed puppet erotica for late night television, the show was incredivlbly inoffensive in that respect. loving NCIS has more hardcore jokes.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 25, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HIJK posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

e: I mean seriously where is this hardcore edgy nympho Muppets show so I can watch it? These people are acting like someone filmed puppet erotica for late night television, the show was incredivlbly inoffensive in that respect. loving NCIS has more hardcore jokes.

To be fair, NCIS has one character is walking sexual harassment suit.

I watched the pilot and I liked most of it. Stadler and Waldorf are still funny, they had some of the weird humor between real world and fantasy and I didn't really see anything too sexual. So I am in for now.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm terrified of Wilkins Coffee now.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Dave Syndrome posted:

It'll pass. The network would do well to just sit and twiddle its thumbs while those crotchety biddies gesticulate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueuA-9pqRok

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jonny_Rocket posted:

The consensus I've seen is that certain parents (i.e. those from One Million Moms) [/url]

Which is, allegedly, like 2 people and a fax machine who like to mass email/fax complaints under a long list of false names. Supposedly at one point every single message sent by them was traced to the same IP address (of a Tea Party member from Arkansas.)

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The only thing I don't like about tonight's episode is Fozzie's B story.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

This episode is already better than the last one, it has more of Bobo the Bear

Also, "For the first time ever, we're in a code GREEN! Yaaaaaay!!"

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

"Libraries have had it TOO good for TOO long."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

"Talking Toilets with Jay Leno" would be an awesome show.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
Laurence Fishburne!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Jax-Guy1 posted:

Laurence Fishburne!

Holy poo poo, he's an rear end in a top hat. That's amazing.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Holy poo poo, he's an rear end in a top hat. That's amazing.

"I watched your show, and IT SUCKED!"

*Drives away

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
I liked that a lot more than the first episode.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
And they paid off the Lea Thompson joke. Nice.

I liked last week, but I loved this episode. ...But it's got almost nothing for kids and it'll probably be off the air in a couple weeks. Oh well, I'll get the one-disc box set.

And I choose to believe Fozzie thinking Jay Leno's the funniest comedian ever was a subtle slam on the chin.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
That ballpoint pen joke slayed me, oh my god.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

HIJK posted:

That ballpoint pen joke slayed me, oh my god.

This but I also loved the confrontation between Kermit and Josh Groban when Kermit tried to jump over him but failed miserably

"Did you forget that frogs can jump?!" *Thud

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jonny_Rocket posted:

This but I also loved the confrontation between Kermit and Josh Groban when Kermit tried to jump over him but failed miserably

"Did you forget that frogs can jump?!" *Thud

Also: "Bye bye." That was savage. I love it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like this show a lot.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

X-O posted:

I like this show a lot.

Yeah I heard mediocre things about the pilot but tonight's episode was gag-a-minute and I loved it.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
The line Kermit had about Piggy being brave enough to say she couldn't do it without a man was loving amazing and had my husband and I in stitches.

Kermit has got to be the only performer that could pull that off.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HIJK posted:

e: I mean seriously where is this hardcore edgy nympho Muppets show so I can watch it?

That show is a movie and it's called "Meet The Feebles". Peter Jackson made it back in his earlier, edgier, more experimental days. I liked it (because I enjoy weird things), but be warned that it's pretty heavy on both gross out humor and puppet based gore.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
muppets. FTW

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I thought that episode was still pretty weak but the show is still alright enough for me to give it a few more episodes

My mom and my little sister both dislike it though and don't want to watch any more episodes so I don't imagine general public opinion is very good

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My wife lost it when the Swedish Chef asked Kermit "Cooked de piggy?" after the scene with the hot rocks.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I loved the "Forget the mountain bike; she's getting a Prius!" Really, the whole solution to that plot was great.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
"Don't draw anything inappropriate"
"hmmmm, maybe I can turn that into a saxophone"

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
For some reason it always cracks me up when Pepe calls Kermit "Kermin".

Also his "What? Gender is fluid!" scene should be good for a few protest reviews.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Second episode was definitely a step above the first.

"YOU HAVE PRE SHOW CRY TOO!?" ; Animal only gets like 2 gags an episode but he's been golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

My wife lost it when the Swedish Chef asked Kermit "Cooked de piggy?" after the scene with the hot rocks.

I thought it was something along the lines of: "Someone cookin' de bacon?" Oh well, same joke. I also liked his line about "Gropin' de Grobin? Hee hee hee."

• Locked thread