Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tezzor posted:

they have no ideology beyond being worms who serve the masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I honestly don't understand how this is happening. The drug is no longer under patent. If that's the case, isn't anybody allowed to manufacture it? How does this company have exclusive rights?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

genesplicer posted:

I honestly don't understand how this is happening. The drug is no longer under patent. If that's the case, isn't anybody allowed to manufacture it? How does this company have exclusive rights?

the precursor chemicals are highly controlled and uncommon, and its a small market so its pretty much the perfect drug to screw a bunch of people over with

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

genesplicer posted:

Others are allowed, the materials are difficult to obtain and will take a long time to get things up and running so this guy has a monopoly for now.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

TEAYCHES posted:

pharma lobbying, yes, is the answer

I don't get why we put up with that kind of poo poo. Like you'll drive a Japanese car everyday but you don't want their ibuprofin? It's so blatantly corrupt it's frustrating.

genesplicer posted:

From what I've read in this thread it's a very expensive barrier to entry to start manufacturing these pills from scratch elsewhere and the supply chain for the precursors is controlled to stifle competition. Doesn't really surprise me, it can be a pain to get ahold of certain chemicals for research because the companies basically only want to sell to you if you sign a contract with them saying you'll buy x tons a month for y years at z price, when you have a drug like this with a relatively small market it's probably very difficult to get a third party generic operation up and going.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

genesplicer posted:

generics are expensive to make and toxoplasmosis affects a relatively small amount of people. the drug was already cheap, been around for 4 decades and there was no real need for another copy. the cost for the drug was 13 bucks and generic may only reduce it to 7 or 6. not profitable enough.

when this despicable oval office bought the drug there was no need. now there is and he intentionally restricted the samples needed to make one. his logic falls flat completely as there is absolutely no need for a new toxoplasmosis medication.

companies who make generics need:

1) to purchase or free up equipment to make it

2) establish a high quality generic

3) establish a supply line for precursors

i predict that there will be a generic for this drug and other 'specialty drugs' that are being bought off by useless hedge fund parasites who serve no purpose on this earth and who should be executed and fed to animals so they can be the poo poo they are. and that hospitals and clinics will stock cheaper alternatives that might be less effective or have greater side effects because gently caress paying 750.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

mdm posted:

Kill all the cats, toxoplasmosis problem gone

You can get it from fruits (like ur dad) and vegetables (like you're mom) you blithering jackass

Something to tells me you already nixed those from your diet a long time ago tho

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nationalize the healthcare system now

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Melmac posted:

You can get it from fruits (like ur dad) and vegetables (like you're mom) you blithering jackass

Something to tells me you already nixed those from your diet a long time ago tho

Sounds like your toxo from your moronic choice in pets has made you a bit stubborn and defensive there, champ.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Kill the AIDS pill guy. Murder him.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Melmac posted:

gently caress you ALF you just have an agenda to keep cats alive so you can breed more for slaughter

if you shut your mouth we can make sure you get all the dead cats after the program, no problem

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Fonzarelli posted:

i suppose the fact that he does stuff like that is the reason why he's so rich and successful at 31

"Wow, how did you make one billion dollars at 31?"

"I started with 10 billion and then made lots of bad choices and got sued several times"

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Sounds like your toxo from your moronic choice in pets

I got it from eating fruits and vegetables retard

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Melmac posted:

I got it from eating fruits and vegetables retard

You should probably take your oddly-named cats to the vet.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

you do realize that like half the world is infected with toxoplasmosis, right? one-fourth of the us is infected with it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dapper Dan posted:

you do realize that like half the world is infected with toxoplasmosis, right? one-fourth of the us is infected with it.

its usually harmless and dormant unless your immune system shits the bed, like say if you get aids

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Mange Mite posted:

its usually harmless and dormant unless your immune system shits the bed, like say if you get aids

Ahahahaha :moreevil:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

genesplicer posted:

i'm going to have to re-quote my post every loving page aren't I

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Agag posted:

this but unironically

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Agag posted:

if somebody actually did this theyd be like. the hyperdorner. everybody from all across the political spectrum nodding like "yeah he did a murder, im down" and wishing him well in his escape from justice

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Tezzor posted:

libertarians are against patents when it's convenient, and for them when it is convenient. they have no ideology beyond being worms who serve the masters

in the same vein of how a lot of libertarians loving love cops + police overreach n brutality

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

TEAYCHES posted:

http://fusion.net/story/202317/turing-daraprim-reversal/

dude is backpedaling and isnt gonna hike the price as much
Now only $749.99 a pill :holy:

After reading about the harrassment thing and seeing his weak "regular guy who wants to help people" act I dont believe a word from his mouth

NigelsPoppet posted:

this guy is broke and this was his gamble, he could give a gently caress about what anybody thinks cuz its completely legal
Lol I know he's facing lawsuits but the guy works in New York and commutes in a helicopter

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Also, there are a ton of drugs which are FDA approved, but really old and don't have submissions for them. They're basically grandfathered products that aren't compliant with all regulations but since there's a need for them they're still produced. The FDA allows a company exclusivity to a generic under a few circumstances, and producing a submission for grandfathered products is one of them.

Some less scrupulous companies (such as the one the CEO for Turing was previously fired from) will use this exclusivity to jack up prices hundreds or thousands of percent.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dapper Dan posted:

generics are expensive to make and toxoplasmosis affects a relatively small amount of people. the drug was already cheap, been around for 4 decades and there was no real need for another copy. the cost for the drug was 13 bucks and generic may only reduce it to 7 or 6. not profitable enough.

when this despicable oval office bought the drug there was no need. now there is and he intentionally restricted the samples needed to make one. his logic falls flat completely as there is absolutely no need for a new toxoplasmosis medication.

companies who make generics need:

1) to purchase or free up equipment to make it

2) establish a high quality generic

3) establish a supply line for precursors

i predict that there will be a generic for this drug and other 'specialty drugs' that are being bought off by useless hedge fund parasites who serve no purpose on this earth and who should be executed and fed to animals so they can be the poo poo they are. and that hospitals and clinics will stock cheaper alternatives that might be less effective or have greater side effects because gently caress paying 750.

3rd party manufacturing can free up the logistics for small generic companies (I sincerely doubt Turing is going to be doing any actual manufacturing themselves), but yeah, there's no way to prove equivalence legally without samples, which Turing is withholding.

I can't wait to read about Turing's consent decree though :owned:

e: What you predicted is already happening. Valeant bought isuprel and nitroprusside from Marathon then jacked the price up like 1000%.

spacemang_spliff fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 24, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

if somebody actually did this theyd be like. the hyperdorner. everybody from all across the political spectrum nodding like "yeah he did a murder, im down" and wishing him well in his escape from justice

zim zam should redeem himself and defend himself against this guy

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.
Even if someone did infect him with HIV we have drugs now that can pretty much erase the infection if it's still in its early stages.

Better to just shoot him.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Don't kill the AIDS pill guy. Take his eyes, take his hands, take his legs.

Then make sure he lives a really really long time.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Kill the AIDS pill guy.

Kill his wife and kids, too.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

TEAYCHES posted:

medicare is required by law to not negotiate and has to pay full asking price

Yeah that's a big part of the problem for drug prices actually. Since the rest of the civilized world uses a national healthcare system, their governments get to negotiate drug prices. But since 'Mericans scream about ARE FREEDUMBS, we managed to create a healthcare system where it is literally illegal for their government to negotiate on their behalf to lower drug prices.

This whole thing is basically lol if you're an American

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

spacemang_spliff posted:

3rd party manufacturing can free up the logistics for small generic companies (I sincerely doubt Turing is going to be doing any actual manufacturing themselves), but yeah, there's no way to prove equivalence legally without samples, which Turing is withholding.

I can't wait to read about Turing's consent decree though :owned:

e: What you predicted is already happening. Valeant bought isuprel and nitroprusside from Marathon then jacked the price up like 1000%.

isuprel is used in anesthesiology. like, it is used if you're having trouble breathing so not getting it will literally kill you. jacking up its price will gently caress up already strained healthcare systems. nitroprusside is also a heart drug for heart failure. so yes, these drug increases will kill people.

also, turing essentially completely hosed over this practice because the guy running it is the equivalent of a downs syndrome retard. he jacked up a critical drug that will effect poor people. in an election year. in an election year where populist themes are overtaking both parties. also this issue is actually being looked into right as we speak:

quote:

In 2014, half of all generic medications saw their prices hiked with 1 in 11 seeing their prices more than double, according to an analysis by Pembroke Consulting. Some of these meds, such as the common albuterol sulfate, increased 40-fold in cost; others have risen by a staggering 17,000% (although it should also be noted that some major meds, such as Lipitor, have actually gotten cheaper). All told, 14 generic drug makers were asked to provide data on what justified these price jumps by members of Congress.

so not only has he called attention to this practice, it was already being investigated and he accelerated this investigation basically ten fold. who said this gibbering retard was smart again?

pharma better pray that only this practice gets curtailed and not the ones they might generally need to cover the r&d costs of failed drugs (tbh, there are a lot of drugs that fail and they honestly do need to be paid for otherwise we'd never get any new drugs as shareholders are stingy cunts anyway who are poorly suited to science, which is basically short term failures, long term gains. which is the complete opposite way the market works, which rewards short term suicide and not long term saftey). there's just been way too much fuckery going on for far too long. and the poo poo they are doing with 40+ year old meds is loving inexcusable.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
fortunately for them reimportation still doesn't seem to be on the table. a word so powerful a senator just mentioning it causes pharma stocks to drop across the board

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dapper Dan posted:

isuprel is used in anesthesiology. like, it is used if you're having trouble breathing so not getting it will literally kill you. jacking up its price will gently caress up already strained healthcare systems. nitroprusside is also a heart drug for heart failure. so yes, these drug increases will kill people.

also, turing essentially completely hosed over this practice because the guy running it is the equivalent of a downs syndrome retard. he jacked up a critical drug that will effect poor people. in an election year. in an election year where populist themes are overtaking both parties. also this issue is actually being looked into right as we speak:

so not only has he called attention to this practice, it was already being investigated and he accelerated this investigation basically ten fold. who said this gibbering retard was smart again?

pharma better pray that only this practice gets curtailed and not the ones they might generally need to cover the r&d costs of failed drugs (tbh, there are a lot of drugs that fail and they honestly do need to be paid for otherwise we'd never get any new drugs as shareholders are stingy cunts anyway who are poorly suited to science, which is basically short term failures, long term gains. which is the complete opposite way the market works, which rewards short term suicide and not long term saftey). there's just been way too much fuckery going on for far too long. and the poo poo they are doing with 40+ year old meds is loving inexcusable.

I posted a link earlier that basically said about Turing's CEO "Good job making this an issue in an election year you loving idiot". Fortunately, in isuprel and nitropress's case there are other manufacturers although they'll probably raise their prices too.

I think it's going to get worse with generic companies consolidation (such as Pfizer's acquisition of Hospira, Teva acquiring Allergan's generics, etc).

R&D is a huge cost, but the obvious counter argument is you've spent more on advertising than R&D AND you still recouped enough to pay for bringing two more drugs to market.

And yeah, wall streets priorities are toxic to pharma. Valeant's CEO said about the price hikes that his responsibility to is their shareholders, when in actuality Valeant's responsibility is provide safe and effective drugs to people who need drugs to you know... not die.

It sucks that the only way that there is ever enough public support to fix regulatory issues is for a bunch of people to die. It's going to be tough for pharma when drug patent laws start changing, but then again, changing a pill's shape and color isn't really a good reason to prevent a drug going off-patent

anyway enough effort posting. I hope this dude gets hit by a bus

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Melmac posted:

Also undercooked beef, iirc.

If you eat a rare steak, it will fill you up on toxos.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Ork of Fiction posted:

Also undercooked beef, iirc.

If you eat a pink steak, it will fill you up on toxos.

Good I like cats and if I can become more like one by becoming a toxo vector I will die a happy catman

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

spacemang_spliff posted:

Good I like cats and if I can become more like one by becoming a toxo vector I will die a happy catman

TOO LATE

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

lol

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Its the saddest thing about our world. People mostly murder their wife/gf, or maybe their kids. Or drug dealers murder their business rivals. But what people should be doing is finding guys like this, or the poacher dentist, or Wall Street dudes and just butchering them like hogs.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Has anybody suggested the aids pill guy be killed? Maybe drawn and quartered?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It really does confuse me how we can have so many people that are straight up dying to long term stuff like untreated cancers or infections due to a for-profit health care industry and yet not a single one of them grabs a knife and goes Saw 1 through 4 on an insurance company executive or twenty. They've got nothing to lose and there's untold thousands of them.

Why can't that kind of murder spree catch a week on the 24 hour news channels and spawn a few dozen copycat killers instead of all the other retarded spree killers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

itd probably be pretty hard to track down this dude and find out his normal routine for the right moment to strike plus he probably lives in a wealthy neighborhood and drives a car to a wealthy office so if you are some haggard person dying of aids with no money how are you gonna intercept him without getting stopped. hell he probably has a bodyguard at this point

• Locked thread