Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Cubone posted:

what's this new trend in gbs threads excluding all pertinent information and just vaguely alluding to a current event
We've hit peak low effort, can't even be assed to make an rss thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Too bad we live in a society that encourages and rewards this kind of behavior.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
What do free market enthusiasts have to say about this?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
How come there's never been an industry disruptor that just buys oversees from a singlepayer system and then sells for a couple hundred percent markup while still drastically undercutting US pharma. I'm guessing there's legislation that somehow implies European equivalents of the fda aren't up to snuff or something.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

www posted:

someone explain this please, people give to cancer charities to help find a cure and then people like Martin Shkreli buy up the drugs and sell it @ a massive mark up??? is this a thing???

Welcome to capitalism. P much same thing happened with telco too.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

TEAYCHES posted:

thats super illegal yes

I figured as much but I was more asking is there like a legitimate explanation for why we couldn't buy medicine from other first world countries with regulated food/drug industry or is it a pretty clear case of internal lobbying for less competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

TEAYCHES posted:

pharma lobbying, yes, is the answer

I don't get why we put up with that kind of poo poo. Like you'll drive a Japanese car everyday but you don't want their ibuprofin? It's so blatantly corrupt it's frustrating.

genesplicer posted:

I honestly don't understand how this is happening. The drug is no longer under patent. If that's the case, isn't anybody allowed to manufacture it? How does this company have exclusive rights?
From what I've read in this thread it's a very expensive barrier to entry to start manufacturing these pills from scratch elsewhere and the supply chain for the precursors is controlled to stifle competition. Doesn't really surprise me, it can be a pain to get ahold of certain chemicals for research because the companies basically only want to sell to you if you sign a contract with them saying you'll buy x tons a month for y years at z price, when you have a drug like this with a relatively small market it's probably very difficult to get a third party generic operation up and going.

• Locked thread