Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol I'd say good luck with the 483s but this idiot is never going to be able to manufacture.

so I'll just say good luck burning bridges with every contract manufacturer you interact with. owning a dota2 team and getting into reddit slapfights is going to come off real professional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Millennials are idiots

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/thanks-turing-your-5000-price-hike-puts-pharma-election-hot-seat/2015-09-21

this dude is hosed basically

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lars Blitzer posted:

It also treats malaria, which means the price increase will kill people. Not probably, but that it will. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrimethamine

There's other generics available and I'd be willing to bet that the FDA is going to allow another manufacturer to step in and produce it.

Hopefully no one dies because of this idiot.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Also, there are a ton of drugs which are FDA approved, but really old and don't have submissions for them. They're basically grandfathered products that aren't compliant with all regulations but since there's a need for them they're still produced. The FDA allows a company exclusivity to a generic under a few circumstances, and producing a submission for grandfathered products is one of them.

Some less scrupulous companies (such as the one the CEO for Turing was previously fired from) will use this exclusivity to jack up prices hundreds or thousands of percent.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dapper Dan posted:

generics are expensive to make and toxoplasmosis affects a relatively small amount of people. the drug was already cheap, been around for 4 decades and there was no real need for another copy. the cost for the drug was 13 bucks and generic may only reduce it to 7 or 6. not profitable enough.

when this despicable oval office bought the drug there was no need. now there is and he intentionally restricted the samples needed to make one. his logic falls flat completely as there is absolutely no need for a new toxoplasmosis medication.

companies who make generics need:

1) to purchase or free up equipment to make it

2) establish a high quality generic

3) establish a supply line for precursors

i predict that there will be a generic for this drug and other 'specialty drugs' that are being bought off by useless hedge fund parasites who serve no purpose on this earth and who should be executed and fed to animals so they can be the poo poo they are. and that hospitals and clinics will stock cheaper alternatives that might be less effective or have greater side effects because gently caress paying 750.

3rd party manufacturing can free up the logistics for small generic companies (I sincerely doubt Turing is going to be doing any actual manufacturing themselves), but yeah, there's no way to prove equivalence legally without samples, which Turing is withholding.

I can't wait to read about Turing's consent decree though :owned:

e: What you predicted is already happening. Valeant bought isuprel and nitroprusside from Marathon then jacked the price up like 1000%.

spacemang_spliff fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 24, 2015

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

TEAYCHES posted:

medicare is required by law to not negotiate and has to pay full asking price

Yeah that's a big part of the problem for drug prices actually. Since the rest of the civilized world uses a national healthcare system, their governments get to negotiate drug prices. But since 'Mericans scream about ARE FREEDUMBS, we managed to create a healthcare system where it is literally illegal for their government to negotiate on their behalf to lower drug prices.

This whole thing is basically lol if you're an American

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dapper Dan posted:

isuprel is used in anesthesiology. like, it is used if you're having trouble breathing so not getting it will literally kill you. jacking up its price will gently caress up already strained healthcare systems. nitroprusside is also a heart drug for heart failure. so yes, these drug increases will kill people.

also, turing essentially completely hosed over this practice because the guy running it is the equivalent of a downs syndrome retard. he jacked up a critical drug that will effect poor people. in an election year. in an election year where populist themes are overtaking both parties. also this issue is actually being looked into right as we speak:

so not only has he called attention to this practice, it was already being investigated and he accelerated this investigation basically ten fold. who said this gibbering retard was smart again?

pharma better pray that only this practice gets curtailed and not the ones they might generally need to cover the r&d costs of failed drugs (tbh, there are a lot of drugs that fail and they honestly do need to be paid for otherwise we'd never get any new drugs as shareholders are stingy cunts anyway who are poorly suited to science, which is basically short term failures, long term gains. which is the complete opposite way the market works, which rewards short term suicide and not long term saftey). there's just been way too much fuckery going on for far too long. and the poo poo they are doing with 40+ year old meds is loving inexcusable.

I posted a link earlier that basically said about Turing's CEO "Good job making this an issue in an election year you loving idiot". Fortunately, in isuprel and nitropress's case there are other manufacturers although they'll probably raise their prices too.

I think it's going to get worse with generic companies consolidation (such as Pfizer's acquisition of Hospira, Teva acquiring Allergan's generics, etc).

R&D is a huge cost, but the obvious counter argument is you've spent more on advertising than R&D AND you still recouped enough to pay for bringing two more drugs to market.

And yeah, wall streets priorities are toxic to pharma. Valeant's CEO said about the price hikes that his responsibility to is their shareholders, when in actuality Valeant's responsibility is provide safe and effective drugs to people who need drugs to you know... not die.

It sucks that the only way that there is ever enough public support to fix regulatory issues is for a bunch of people to die. It's going to be tough for pharma when drug patent laws start changing, but then again, changing a pill's shape and color isn't really a good reason to prevent a drug going off-patent

anyway enough effort posting. I hope this dude gets hit by a bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Ork of Fiction posted:

Also undercooked beef, iirc.

If you eat a pink steak, it will fill you up on toxos.

Good I like cats and if I can become more like one by becoming a toxo vector I will die a happy catman

• Locked thread