Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Didn't they single out DMC as one of their core franchises a little while back? They put out a list of 6 or so series they considered "leading IP" or something and I remember DMC was one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I know right I guess they figured that everyone was done with the series after dmc4 sucked so bad.

DMC4 is flawed for sure, but it's no worse than DmC. Ask yourself this - what is more detrimental to action games: heavy environment reuse and the occasional garbage dice minigame, or tons of unskippable walk-and-talk segments, drawn-out platforming, and really poor boss fights?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm playing TMNT right now so I think the correct answer is probably "Activision"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Korra team apparently worked on TMNT, so shock of all shocks it sucks.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The Korra game didn't suck, it was just clearly held back by being a budget game. It's decent fun for the amount it costs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm playing TMNT right now so I think the correct answer is probably "Activision"

Is it as bad as it looks? :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Baal posted:

TMNT was released/priced like Transformers so people expected something closer to that level of quality.

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it as bad as it looks? :(

It's Bad Anarchy Reigns minus the versus mode and with AI partners that you wish would just go away and bad bosses with half a dozen health bars. It seems like it'd be more tolerable with other competent players but it's not much fun as a single-player experience and it has the same budget constraints as Transformers (boring areas with only a few repeat settings).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
anarchy reigns had some bad AI partners too. remember the kraken boss where black baron would just run into its tentacles and die?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

The AI isn't any smarter here but the game demands more of them, which in turn makes them more of a nuisance because they're stupid as hell and mostly just get in the way. The game is designed around having 4 players so there are lots of "defend x" missions where you can't rely on the AI to defend anything or kill anything quickly and the bosses take forever to kill because they're tuned for co-op (high damage, absolutely insane amounts of health) but the AI doesn't consistently attack when it should and makes no effort to dodge anything so they spend most of their time reviving each other. (You only get limited continues after your party wipes, too, so you have to replay the entire stage if you die to a boss too many times.)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

The Korra game didn't suck, it was just clearly held back by being a budget game. It's decent fun for the amount it costs.

This argument doesn't work when Transformers has about the same amount of play time and development time and is a much better game despite being three times the price at launch. Mind you I would probably be a bit miffed if I spent 50 for it, but it's a drat solid game regardless.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 25, 2016

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Baal posted:

It's not really the Korra team. The same person directed both games, and they share some staff, but that's it (and most Platinum games have a good deal of staff overlap anyway - the company isn't divided up into teams).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
And from what I can tell, it costs over three times as much, since Korra was a $15 game.

edit: darn you for editing before i can see...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Baal posted:

This argument doesn't work when Transformers has about the same amount of play time and development time and is a much better game despite being three times the price at launch. Mind you I would probably be a bit miffed if I spent 50 for it, but it's a drat solid game regardless.

The higher price implies they spent more money making it (ie the team was bigger).

Of course, we don't actually know what any of these games cost to make but the Activision deal proves that you can only squeeze so much blood out of a stone.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

It's not really the Korra team. The same person directed both games, and they share some staff, but that's it (and most Platinum games have a good deal of staff overlap anyway - the company isn't divided up into teams).

I've been under the implication for a while that even though Platinum is an independent studio they do have separate teams since they are running a lot of projects concurrently, but I suppose this is possible.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The higher price implies they spent more money making it (ie the team was bigger).

Of course, we don't actually know what any of these games cost to make but the Activision deal proves that you can only squeeze so much blood out of a stone.

Yeah, I wouldn't really account for the pricing meaning much other than "Activision." It's never come off to me like they've allowed more time, money, or a bigger team for any of the three games separate from the other.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I can totally believe we'll get a DMC5 and probably a return-to-classic after the backlash. (not to mention that Ninja Theory is working on Disney Infinity these days.)

lol. How things change.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Are they gonna announce another DMC game this year? I'd like to see a prequel all about Sparda.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
E3's in a week, maybe then!?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

notZaar posted:

Are they gonna announce another DMC game this year? I'd like to see a prequel all about Sparda.

Ideally call it DMC 5 and act like DmC never happened

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'd like to point out that Capcom has a PSN sale right now in the US and the PS3 version of the DMC HD collection is $5 for anyone who doesn't have it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

You're getting a slot machine what more do you want???

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A game

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I'd like to point out that Capcom has a PSN sale right now in the US and the PS3 version of the DMC HD collection is $5 for anyone who doesn't have it.

are there any problems with the hd collection i should be aware of before i get it or are they all good ports?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the first game has a weird rear end bug with the end boss? I dunno if they ever patched it.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

sharrrk posted:

are there any problems with the hd collection i should be aware of before i get it or are they all good ports?

DMC1 has jump as X instead of Triangle so that'll gently caress with muscle memory if you played the hell out of it but otherwise they're solid ports as far as I know.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They've put the dmc series on sale so many times and the timing of this last one before E3 is no coincidence. Unless Capcom is that dumb :v:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

RBX posted:

They've put the dmc series on sale so many times and the timing of this last one before E3 is no coincidence. Unless Capcom is that dumb :v:

With all the poo poo from mighty no 9 im not so sure about capcoms complete stupidity

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

With all the poo poo from mighty no 9 im not so sure about capcoms complete stupidity

You do know Capcom has literally nothing to do with MN9, right?

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

You mean the game that Capcom has nothing to do with?

Edit: should have hit preview first

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Yeah i dont know what im trying to say.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 9, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

After this pachinko horseshit I refuse to believe anything until I can hold it in my fat loving fingers

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wrist Watch posted:

After this pachinko horseshit I refuse to believe anything until I can hold it in my fat loving fingers

Jokes on you, it will be digital distro only.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

CAPCOOOOOOOM :argh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If this is true then that means we have another new main character, lol

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm ready for Dante's cousin

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If we don't get anything at E3 I'm gonna be so disappointed. Now that Activision has Platinum churning out half finished garbage and Konami is turning Metal Gear into pinball this is the last hope.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think if we got this it's safe to say E3 or TGS is where we're gonna hear about it,m. So hold out hope for now even if that Pachinko game did honestly shake my faith in a new game quite a bit.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Its cool anyone can update wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baal posted:

If this is true then that means we have another new main character, lol

Why would it mean that?

They should just go back to Alec Baldwin Dante from 4. He was pretty cool.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 9, 2016

• Locked thread