Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

:siren: Haven & Hearth (aka Haven and Hearth2, aka Hafen) has had a major face lift and rewrite. Currently there are biweekly updates, and regular bug patches as needed. Also pay to play and free to play options. :siren:

What is Haven & Hearth?

From the About page:

quote:

Haven & Hearth is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) set in a fictional world loosely inspired by Slavic and Germanic myth and legend. The game sets itself apart from other games in the genre in its aim to provide players with an interactive, affectable and mutable game world, which can be permanently and fundamentally changed and affected through actions undertaken by the players. Our fundamental goal with Haven & Hearth is to create a game in which player choices have permanent and/or lasting effects and, thus, providing said players with a meaningful and fun gaming experience.

Players start the game surrounded by a vast and somewhat unforgiving wilderness, with only the most basic tools of survival at their disposal. The use of fire is a thematic focal point of the game's mythos, and an early and important task will be the simple lighting of one. As the first hearth fires disperse the darkness of the surrounding wilderness, more pressing questions will present themselves to the players: Who are they? Where are they? And, most importantly, where are they going? From this point on, players will have to blaze trails of their own into the unknown, the wilderness and the future, and explore and affect the world of Haven & Hearth using only their own best judgment and a chipped stone axe. Trust us, the stone axe is the poo poo.

As players progress, they will be able to acquire new skills and abilities, allowing them to perform a variety of tasks—such as the claiming of land, the construction of buildings and the cultivation of crops—each step forward making the basic task of survival somewhat easier. Having progressed far enough, players will, in time, be able to organize themselves into societies, from simple tribes and villages, progressing through republics, nation states and, ultimately, empires.

At least, those are our lofty ambitions.

// The Seatribe team

So, what is this really and why should you play this?

H&H is a true sandbox survival MMO. There are no quests or NPCs. No dungeons or raids. It is Man vs. Nature and Man vs. Man from top to bottom. You start with nothing but a smile, and what becomes of you after that is a result of your actions and the actions of other players and the various wildlife.

H&H is skill based. You earn Learning Points through curiosities that you study, and spend those points to increase your skills. Skills are uncapped. From Carpentry to Farming, Unarmed and Melee combat, to Cooking and Sewing there are plenty of skills and all are useful. Your base stats such as Strength, Intelligence, and Dexterity are all uncapped as well. Increasing these stats is done by earning Food Experience Points (FEP) through eating incredible amounts of various foods. Seriously, you will be eating stupid amounts of food.

H&H has an in depth quality based crafting system. Everything in game, crafted or natural resource, has a quality stat associated. Acquiring high quality resources and manipulating them through crafting into high quality tools, equipment, and other resources is an integral part of advancement. Need a better sword? You can increase the quality of the ore, the smelter, the fuel, the hammer and anvil, or all of the above. This system works for virtually everything in the game.

H&H has Permadeath. When your character dies, that's it. Time to make a new one. This adds an extra level of tension to everything you do. From PvP, hunting, to even stepping outside the safety of your village walls can mean the end of the time and resources invested in your character. But, the same goes for every other player in the game world. Fights are meaningful, and the fallout is usually drama filled. Its great!

What you make of your character is up to you. A homebody farmer, an explorer and hunter, a miner and metalworker, or a roaming warrior killing for fun or justice. Any one, or all of the above and more are options. It is your choice.

You've played H&H before. Why should you reconsider?

The current incarnation of H&H has undergone an almost complete rewrite. The core of the game, the heart of it, is the same but virtually everything else has changed in some fashion. A short list might be in order:

• A new look. Gone is the old 2d sprite based isometric view. It has been replaced with a 3d isometric view with sane camera controls (even better with a custom client).
  • A new combat system. The new system is card based allowing you to build custom decks of attacks and defenses. Far more elegant, and potentially deeper, than the old system.
  • Sliders are gone. No need to wait for days to complete moving your sliders to be pigeon-holed or otherwise feel gimped. Jump right, and you can eventually farm and mine at equal levels.
  • New Hunger/Stamina/Energy system. Eating restores Energy. Energy restores stamina. The more hungry you are the greater the gains from food, but if you run low on energy you start taking damage and could die.
  • New injury system. More varied types of injuries, and cures. A work in progress.
  • Teleporting changes. You may only teleport to your Hearthfire or along player made "roads". The latter is blocked permanent/semi-permanent structures, and liftables.
  • Crime Scent changes. There is a logoff and hearthing cooldown after leaving scents.
  • Bi-weekly updates. Currently we are getting updates twice a week with both new additions to the game as well as a slew of changes and bugfixes.
  • Developers. Yes, even the Devs (Jorb and Loftar) seem to have changed. Engaging and even implementing submitted ideas.

There are more changes than I could list, and more being implemented each week. Some are huge and immediately noticeable, while others are more subtle. They all have given the game a bit of polish and made it fun again.

What is this about Pay To Play?

It is free to play, but you will receive some pretty good bonuses if you verify and/or subscribe.

More information can be found here.

Playing/Chatting with Goons

Discord: https://discord.gg/mN5RB8a

Usefull Links

Main Site
Store Page
Official Forums
A pretty good beginners guide
Patch Notes and Announcements
Ring of Brodgar Wiki Some things may or may not be 100% correct. Being updated slowly with new information.

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmXKmBUn7VU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HbQlAjre2Q

Screenshots

http://gfycat.com/EnchantingEthicalIcelandicsheepdog
http://gfycat.com/WetSecretGalapagospenguin
http://gfycat.com/AdvancedWelltodoAmericanriverotter

Blacktooth fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

reserved

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

I've never played this, and i've generally never really been interested in these sorts of games before outside of a few rare exceptions.

I will say this though. That looks amazing. :allears:

Given the past times this game has come up, how likely is there to be a goon presence?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 22, 2015

ill b bach
Sep 13, 2007
100% likely

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.

Archonex posted:

I've never played this, and i've generally never really been interested in these sorts of games before outside of a few rare exceptions.

I will say this though. That looks amazing. :allears:

Given the past times this game has come up, how likely is there to be a goon presence?

There allready is one. We didn't want to post a thread before we were steady on the new mechanics, so that we could help some fresh haven meat figure out the game. But there are like 14- ish of us playing more or less on a regular basis atm.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Trying to turn my lovely life around then one of you arseholes has to make another hearth thread. Great.

I didn't even know there was an update! Trolling people last time was really fun.

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.
In the first day of launch we were doing a goon exodus from our first lovely camp to greener pastures, and during the trip our cart caravan ran across an unconscious player on the ground. One goon promptly picks him up and puts him in the cart, which was the best thing ever.

Just fuckin abduct this guy from his friends.

You can't do this anymore, but you can still pick up unconscious dudes afaik.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Sotsa posted:

In the first day of launch we were doing a goon exodus from our first lovely camp to greener pastures, and during the trip our cart caravan ran across an unconscious player on the ground. One goon promptly picks him up and puts him in the cart, which was the best thing ever.

Just fuckin abduct this guy from his friends.

You can't do this anymore, but you can still pick up unconscious dudes afaik.

Didn't this crash the server, as well? Wouldn't be a Jorbtar game without a sufficient dose of Jorbtar!

ill b bach
Sep 13, 2007
last night's update was was playable musical instruments

edit:

ill b bach fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 23, 2015

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Angrily playing a fiddle

Basically sums up haven and hearth

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

all of your troubles are dead and gone~
Flashbacks to the first few weeks of the Salem beta. Dear god.

Count me in, I'll shoot you guys an email.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You guys forgot the best part of this version, stockpiles. You can stack bones and skulls all over your base! Or rotten entrails! To root around in later to make SAUSAGES.

2 out of 2 libertarian swedes recommend this game!

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Elijah. posted:

Flashbacks to the first few weeks of the Salem beta. Dear god.

Count me in, I'll shoot you guys an email.

Done. Invite sent.

The inevitable comparison to Salem. Honestly, and I could be wrong, I don't think it H&H will go down in flames like Salem. A lot of the exploits from previous iterations simply are not possible, and JnL have actually been listening to their playerbase, Unnerving really.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So what is the actual time limit for F2P players?

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

So what is the actual time limit for F2P players?

I didn't want to put any numbers in the op, since they could change at any time.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/store

Currently 48 hours + 7 hours a week.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Taking bets on how long before this gets abandoned. Say 2 years?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
this game should have stayed dead

SweetBro posted:

Taking bets on how long before this gets abandoned. Say 2 years?

you mean by the populace? probably in a few days when the free to pay time runs out.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

you mean by the populace? probably in a few days when the free to pay time runs out.

This world is about 5 weeks old now. Just over 300 active players off peak.

The general opinion at the start was 2 weeks. Still getting the bi-weekly updates, and nothing major is broken.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Both. I played Salem, I have not forgotten being burned by Jobtar.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Today's update: http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=43236

quote:

New Implementations
-----------------------
Implemented new roadtype "Milestone", made from stone. Can hold 4 trails.
Added Drum.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
Trails/roads can now also be connected to an already existing road marker upon creation, rather than only by placing a new, initial road marker.
The instrument interface should now grab keyboard input entirely, making it possible to walk and play instrument, among other things.
Soil can now be placed in a stockpile. The previous ability to place a single unit of soil by right-clicking ground is no more, but you can still place one unit and pick up another by holding down shift and right-clicking the ground.
Stone can now be used in the world as landfill to raise terrain just as soil can.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
Instruments should now interact better graphically with claypipe.
Should now be able to dig away plants from trellies using the Destroy command on the plant itself.
Fixed some minor graphical issues with the cylinder hat as reported here.
Should no longer starve when missing a game session, fixing this problem.
Starvation damage should now have a prettier distribution over the energy scale. Do note that this means that starvation deals more damage sooner than previously. Damage on the lower end of the energy meter should be less extreme.
Fixed a bug which caused several beehives to influence the same crop several times, causing them to grow ultra fast as was reported here.
Steel crucibles should now need to be refueled every 12 RL hours, fixing a problem reported here.
Fixed a bug preventing mass planting from more than one seed stack if one of the stacks was of irregular size.
Fixed a bug causing cauldron timers to go bonkers when cauldron ran out of water while map was unloaded.
Tables should now drop their contents when destroyed, fixing this.

We Did Not Fix
-----------------------
It was reported the the Cylinder hat gives no stat buffs. Currently working as intended, but contemplating equipment buffs in general.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Should be reposted in Games (maybe with a better title) because you're not going to get new blood on this dead subforum

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Don't try to trick people who don't know any better. Post it with title: "ETA Till devs abandon 5... 4... 3..."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just saying MMOHMO is about the last place you're gonna drum up any interest

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

SweetBro posted:

Don't try to trick people who don't know any better. Post it with title: "ETA Till devs abandon 5... 4... 3..."

The devs aren't gonna abandon Haven, they've been at it for like a decade now.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Patch coming later today, Also we got a wagon built for hunting.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Delamore posted:

Patch coming later today, Also we got a wagon built for hunting.

A literal meat wagon

And patch notes: http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=43749

quote:

New Implementations
-----------------------

If a player has worthy, dead, characters (INT 50+, LP 100k+) he may now as one of them visit The Hall of the Gods by exiting the character creation room using the Rainbow now appearing to the left of the starting pool. The Hall of the Gods lies in the midst of a field of neverending battle. Weapons and armor of every kind lie scattered, and death is a passing condition in this twilight realm. In the Great Hall itself a mighty swine hangs ever roasting, and when you partake of its flesh your combat relevant stats (strength, agility, constitution, unarmed & melee) are instantly buffed to wherever you want them. Eating of the swine also restores your stamina and health. Feast and do battle until the End of All Times!
Players may now build a Great Hall
You can now pave and build with Cat Gold, which generally counts as stone.
Added "Shield" block.
Added "Parry" block.

Key Fixes
-----------------------

Fixed a bug with paving preventing caveins.
Caveins no longer damage objects with soak
All fights are now initiated with a cooldown active. Initiating a new combat relation gives you a cooldown. The defender has a slightly lower cooldown than the attacker.
"Chop" now requires one IP.

Harry Manback
Sep 22, 2009
Oh yes, where do I throw my money I need this in my life again. Forgot that they were revamping the entire system. I'm in, just downloaded Enders client, how do I join up with goons?

ill b bach
Sep 13, 2007
send an email to havengoons@gmail and we'll invite you to the chat

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
A beautifully ugly game
http://gfycat.com/SmoggyCostlyGlobefish
http://gfycat.com/MetallicHarshGuernseycow

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I'm in, shot you guys an e-mail.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I sent off an email for some reason I can't possibly imagine because why oh why would I get myself into this again.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Invites sent.

Honestly, the game is much improved over what it once was. I think JnL spent like two years(?) on the overhaul, and the effort shows. It is still getting bi-weekly updates. Here is the latest: http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=44285

quote:

New Implementations
-----------------------

Added Lynx
It is now possible to dig Acre Clay from the natural dirt flats, as it was in Legacy.
Animals should now wreck poo poo if boxed in.
Added "Glazed Grazer Dog", food
Added "Steak & Tubers", food
Added "Tuber Mash", food
Added "Liver & Onions", food

Key Fixes
-----------------------

Fixed a bug by which an animal slaughtered while tethered could resurrect after death.

Small Fixes
-----------------------

Fixed a bug with Bonds of Blood & Soil not being studyable when you already had one in the study.
Fixed a bug by which you could get "Sensing the Beast" from dead animals.
Fixed a bug with inventory windows not resizing properly when plundering inventory boosting equipment.
Added a requested error message when attempting to Hearth while carrying an object the removal of which would be theft.
Buffed silk moth life time as suggested here.
Fixed a bug with bats spawning on claimed land.
Made it so that chickens count an average of water and swill qualities, rather than effectively "hardcapping" on both, as observed here.
Reduced the bounding box of cattle as suggested here.
Should now receive discovery when butchering fish, rather than when picking up butchered filets, as reported here.
Fixed a minor bug with dream catchers producing dreams very soon after harvesting. Much gaem braek.
Fixed a bug by which attacks created by blocks could reach over dimensions by not checking for that. (Bat hitting a player having left the cave world).
Reduced the amount of rennet required per cheese curd by a factor of five. One liter of rennet is, thus, now good for 50 curds.
Reduced stamina consumption when building trelli from 35 to 20.
Chicken salad icon requesting boiled egg sets correctly as reported here
Fixed hair bleeding through Winged Helmet.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

hello from email . i am logmen. thanks

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

a slime posted:

hello from email . i am logmen. thanks

Invite sent.

If you have played before the game will be familiar enough, but many things have changed. If you have never played, a lot of the game mechanics are going to be opaque and with no in game help you will likely be completely lost. Either way, this tutorial of sorts is invaluable: http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40714

There is usually someone in slack to help out as well.

musicshemale
Jan 28, 2012
Told my old H&H friend about this yesterday and he decided to start up today since he had a huge amount of free time this weekend. I jumped in as well. Being able to play the flute at wandering people is a magical experience with a variety of reactions. No matter the frustrations sometimes imposed by having to keep my quality 1 flute vs any other item on me, I have kept it in my inventory 100% of the time.

Being aggro'd by bats in a mine we found and running at full speed toward the exit while still playing the same flute song at double quicker tempo was frickin' priceless. Best addition so far. Second is climbing up and down cliffs.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

musicshemale posted:

Told my old H&H friend about this yesterday and he decided to start up today since he had a huge amount of free time this weekend. I jumped in as well. Being able to play the flute at wandering people is a magical experience with a variety of reactions. No matter the frustrations sometimes imposed by having to keep my quality 1 flute vs any other item on me, I have kept it in my inventory 100% of the time.

Being aggro'd by bats in a mine we found and running at full speed toward the exit while still playing the same flute song at double quicker tempo was frickin' priceless. Best addition so far. Second is climbing up and down cliffs.

Hahaha I haven't messed around with the instruments since they were added, but then if you moved while playing one note your character would play that one note endlessly as long as it was moving. So, obnoxious and great.

This latest patch they've added custom banners. Which is cool, but it broke most of the custom clients.

musicshemale
Jan 28, 2012

Blacktooth posted:

Hahaha I haven't messed around with the instruments since they were added, but then if you moved while playing one note your character would play that one note endlessly as long as it was moving. So, obnoxious and great.

This latest patch they've added custom banners. Which is cool, but it broke most of the custom clients.

I've almost always been the player and not the, uh, playee. I don't know what he was hearing as I booked my escape, but I really hope it was as annoying as possible.

How's the goon village going?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
so is this basically what the abortion that was salem has turned into?

ill b bach
Sep 13, 2007
nah it's way less retarded than salem ever was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

musicshemale posted:

How's the goon village going?

I'm not living there currently, but seems to be going well.

Razzled posted:

so is this basically what the abortion that was salem has turned into?

I never played Salem, but from what I understand only a few things from it are in the current version of H&H...mostly cosmetic. H&H2 is basically the same 10 year old H&H with a lot of improvements.

A good indication is from recent events. The last few worlds someone always starts a newbie friendly village, and they always get run over pretty easily. This time around they are able to put up a fight, and have held their own against a group that has traditionally been feared. It has been pretty fun to watch.

• Locked thread