Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudcade.shopheroes&hl=en
IOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shop-heroes/id938185444?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
Facebook: https://apps.facebook.com/shopheroes/?fb_source=appcenter&fbs=126&fb_appcenter=1
Kongregate: Coming Soon?

What is this?

Shop Heroes is a shop simulator where you take up the role of a shopkeeper in a traditional RPG town selling weapons, armor, and items to the local adventurers. You then reinvest that money into your shop or your town so that you can then make more money, which you will reinvest, and so on and so on. Its a fun little time management game that gets a lot better if you're playing with other people. If you've played Swords and Potions, this game might seem very similar, since the developers of Shop Heroes are partially developers who broke away from Edgebee, who developed Swords and Potions. Nonetheless, Shop Heroes has made a lot of improvements on the Swords and Potions formula, and is an entirely different game.

Is this another P2W phone game?

Shop Heroes has one of the best implementations of Free to Play that I've ever seen. Very little in the game is hidden behind a paywall, and most of the uses for premium currency are purely for convenience or appearance options. A completely F2P player held the top position in the game for months, it's not a big deal.

Your Shop

Upgrading your shop is one of your main priorities in the game, since the furniture you place determines effectively what you can make in the game. Furniture is broken down into the following Categories:

Resource Bins: Items that hold a specific resource like Iron or Wood. Levelling these up increases your overall cap, as well as how much the bin itself holds.
Workstations: Your workers need Workstations to make items, and the level of each workstation caps the total effective skill of your workers.
Racks: Restore Energy when you sell an item of the selected category. Energy is used to tell customers to buy different items, or to get them to pay a higher price for an item.
Counter: Your counter increases your max energy. There are other furniture pieces that also do this, but they're entirely premium, and not that worthwhile anyway.

Your City:

You and up to 24 other players will work together to build up a city, which will increase the level cap and availability of adventurers and workers, increase the speed of resource generation, and a lot more. Cities are massive goldsinks, but the benefits are amazing, and any gold you put into the city stays with you, the player. This means that if you jump ship to a new town, your donations weren't a waste. Donations to buildings will also provide short term boosts, so even if you aren't able to push a building to a new level, you and your neighboring shopkeepers will still benefit.

Goon Players and Cities:

Goons have been coordinating via this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kqbmgS50YFzUvEdk4EeuMKSD9opqHDImBC61LM157N4/edit#gid=0.

I will expand this section when I know which cities are still active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Tips and Tricks:

• Each Resource Bin has it's own individual timer for generating resources. So if you have 3 iron bins, you will have triple the iron income of someone who only has one.
  • Never go it alone. Cities are painful to level and there's always an open slot in some low-medium range city if there are no spots open in goon cities.
  • Focus on two or so item categories to focus on and to be your money makers. Ideally these should take different resources, but towards mid-endgame, items are going to take a lot of overlapping resources to make.
  • Communicate with people in your city to try to focus money on getting certain upgrades. Tier 2 workers and higher tier adventurers represent a huge jump in effectiveness, but you might not see them for awhile if everyone is doing their own thing.
  • Don't spend gems until level 20 or so. The benefit of using them early game is rather minimal, and the gold/gem ratio of upgrades increases rapidly.
  • You can sell rare resources and chests on the auction house. Generally this is actually more efficient than actually using them yourself.

Deki fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 22, 2015

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I jumped in on this recently with some people in the iOS thread.
I guess it might be a good idea for us to go into the large towns if they have spots open :v:

Added myself to spreadsheet

EDIT: Otisburg still have that open slot?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I play this game and I don't know why. But I'm still going to keep playing this game.

Is constantly having to make low level garbage in order to keep your customers happy so they come back more often just always going to be a thing? I mean, you never have enough energy to constantly convince them to buy other stuff, right? I'd be happy if I never had to make another basic knife again.

e: Also I'm not sure I entirely "get" my workers' skills. Like, I get the categories and their immediate levels, but what good are those levels? And why does it sometimes say something like "22/14" underneath? And what is "mastery," really?

ee: Oh okay I figured out the fraction beneath skill levels of workers, for some reason I thought I'd say the ratio the other way, which was confusing. Anyhow, that number is how much of the appropriate workshop's skill cap is currently used up. So when my armor dude has a big "20" there and it says 20/20 underneath, I need to upgrade my stupid armor station.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 22, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Skills work like this:

Every worker with a given skill pools their skill together to determine what your shop's skill level is (If your armorer and jeweler each have 20 metalsmithing, you have 40 total).

The workbenches determine the maximum effective skill cap, so each point of skill you have over that cap is worthless.

Item crafting time is determined by the ratio of your skill to that of the item's skill requirements. If you double your effective skills for an item, it will halve the crafting time.

Mastery increases the chance to make better quality items, and that's about all anyone knows about it.

e:

Don't worry about the lovely low level items, Adventurers will only buy items that are within 7 levels of themselves, so those knives and such will become obsolete. As you grow everything though, your resource generation and crafting skill will ensure that you'll usually have a couple of relatively lovely quick recipes to throw out if need be. It gets a lot easier once your shop is big enough to hold a bunch of item racks for heart generation though. For me, suggesting knives/armor/swords is usually a heart surplus.

Deki fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 22, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I play on my iPad. I just now realized this game is on Facebook. So I popped open a web browser, went to the url in the OP, and great, it's there too. Thing is, on my iPad, I was logged in through game center. If I try to connect it to my iPad via Facebook now, it wants to load up the (brand new) Facebook account, which I assume will lose my progress on the game center account. Is there any way to resolve this? I just wanna be able to play the same game on both systems without starting over. :/

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Try logging in from the game center version, and check to see if there's an option in the options for linking the account directly. If that doesn't work, I have no idea. I started with the facebook version.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Added myself to the spreadsheet, I finally got fed up with going solo on my town.

Is there anything like this game that's not free to play? I like the crafting and equipping heroes parts and the concept of investing in a growing town that unlocks new stuff, but all the timers and the generally slow pace are not my favorite - I'd pay some money for a complete game that kept the general feel but progressed faster. I know the first thought is probably Recettear, but I didn't particularly like the dungeon crawling segments; I prefer this game's style of sending the heroes off to handle it themselves.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
More Tips!
Avoid overlapping your workers. Your workstations are always going to be the cap on your skills, so doubling up on skills is pointless until you have every possible skill covered. Depending on your city and the unlocked workers, you should be able to get a set of workers that never overlaps.

So starting with Blacksmith and Carpenter is terrible because they overlap on weaponsmithing. Either dump the carpenter for the druid (woodworking + alchemy) or fire the blacksmith for the armorer (Armor + metalworking).

Right now I've got every skill except Rune Writing with Fletcher, Luthier, Sorceress, Jeweler, Artificer. Eventually you can unlock Tier 3 workers who have 3 skills and get 10 skill points per level.

You can rotate your furniture at no penalty, so if you get stuck on a crafting tree (like when bows suddenly require Artificing for crossbows), you can store your racks in the warehouse and pull them out later. If you're crafting a lot of one item to push to a new recipe, buy and upgrade a new rack for it.

If you're crafting for sales and not for unlocks, always focus on recipes that don't use quest resources. I've yet to encounter a recipe that returns more than the trade house value of the quest resources.

Also I'm a little reluctant to share this tip, but it's for the greater goon. Once you level your storage furniture and the good items take a long time to craft, you're going to have a lot of empty space. Go through every category on the trade house and look for items that are selling for less than 125% of their base market value. The trade house values don't take into account the price increase you get for leveling up a recipe, and a lot of people seem to mass-craft items and unload them at near their base value. I'll buy a dozen swords for 5k and flip them to my customers for 5,250. Sure that's a tiny profit, but it's free money, free experience, and if you've got the right racks, you can surcharge.

One last tip - Adventurers can form parties once they get past level 5. Each adventurer in a party boosts everyone's power by 10%. Don't be afraid to send a few underequipped lowbie heroes with your all-star to clear a higher level quest. Also when you can send a party of 4, you get to keep 2 treasures instead of 1, and each successful adventurer beyond the first has a chance of bringing home gold, items, or (impossibly rarely) keys).

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

One last tip - Adventurers can form parties once they get past level 5. Each adventurer in a party boosts everyone's power by 10%. Don't be afraid to send a few underequipped lowbie heroes with your all-star to clear a higher level quest. Also when you can send a party of 4, you get to keep 2 treasures instead of 1, and each successful adventurer beyond the first has a chance of bringing home gold, items, or (impossibly rarely) keys).

I'm guessing the exception are those special 10 gem quests? It seems that I couldn't get that to succeed until both required heroes were A rank.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Here's another tip: in the game options, enable multi-craft. Then, you can just bring up the craft pane and BING BING BING activate crafting for a bunch of stuff at once. The difference is, when you click to start crafting a thing, it doesn't close the pane, it just leaves it open and you can fill up your crafting slots without bringing the pane back up. SO much nicer.

It'll automatically close the crafting pane once your crafting slots are all full (or you can close it whenever you want, of course.)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
What's a good place to spend gems on? Assuming non IAP, where it's going to take like a month to break 200 gems. Are chests the only non-terrible option? Is there a non-terrible option?

I also found that upgrading your max energy is cheap and pretty useful -- you sometimes get surprisingly high amount of energy for discounts and this can translate into suggesting a level 8 item instead of your fifth maul, or selling a big item for $$$.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RoboCicero posted:

I also found that upgrading your max energy is cheap and pretty useful -- you sometimes get surprisingly high amount of energy for discounts and this can translate into suggesting a level 8 item instead of your fifth maul, or selling a big item for $$$.

As was suggested, racks of the appropriate type are clutch. With a couple moderately upgraded racks of the right type, you can suggest an alternate, surcharge for it, and STILL come out ahead on energy.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I've yet to encounter a recipe that returns more than the trade house value of the quest resources.

Quoting because I didn't notice it when I first unlocked the trade house and it's a really really good source of income at low level.

Another tip is to look though the achievements, most are so hard they're laughable but there's a couple that worth grinding towards for the 200k and 1 million. Of particular note you can get 1.2 million gold from the interior designer chieve by buying <50k gold in plants/torches/rugs/etc.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

dipple posted:

Quoting because I didn't notice it when I first unlocked the trade house and it's a really really good source of income at low level.

Another tip is to look though the achievements, most are so hard they're laughable but there's a couple that worth grinding towards for the 200k and 1 million. Of particular note you can get 1.2 million gold from the interior designer chieve by buying <50k gold in plants/torches/rugs/etc.

Nice. I just tried this. I'm about 3 decorations away from the 1M, but the 200k was still worth it.

EDIT: I could finish it off for 150 gems. Is there an alternative?

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 23, 2015

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

DontMindMe posted:

Nice. I just tried this. I'm about 3 decorations away from the 1M, but the 200k was still worth it.

EDIT: I could finish it off for 150 gems. Is there an alternative?

Did you check all 4 decoration types? there should be more than enough

red square carpet/round rug/ welcome mat/brown rug
basic plant/ potted fern
window/torch/ tapestry
ardoise/ gilded pillars

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

dipple posted:

Did you check all 4 decoration types? there should be more than enough

red square carpet/round rug/ welcome mat/brown rug
basic plant/ potted fern
window/torch/ tapestry
ardoise/ gilded pillars

Weird. I don't have a Brown Rug option. Or gilded pillars. Maybe I unlock it at a later level?

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 23, 2015

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
Yeah must be tied to player level or maybe some city upgrade, anyway don't spend 150 gems on that.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

dipple posted:

Yeah must be tied to player level or maybe some city upgrade, anyway don't spend 150 gems on that.

Yeah, I'll just wait and see at this point.

EDIT: Oh no! I just missed out on 1 million. I got a leather key from the spin, put offer up on market, and realized too late I missed a zero :(

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 23, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is it correct to say that it's not worth spending gems on repairing equipment that breaks during a quest?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

~Coxy posted:

Is it correct to say that it's not worth spending gems on repairing equipment that breaks during a quest?

I learned this lesson the hard way. It's not worth it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

DontMindMe posted:

I jumped in on this recently with some people in the iOS thread.
I guess it might be a good idea for us to go into the large towns if they have spots open :v:

Added myself to spreadsheet

EDIT: Otisburg still have that open slot?

Otisburg is currently full up but about 2 million away from the 13th player slot, so it shouldn't take long. We're at 12/12 with no immediately kickable candidates, though if someone happens to say "gently caress it, I'm done" we can do the needful.

Some other tips:

Racks are your friend. Every time you sell something of their type, the rack gives you an energy boost, and they're pretty cheap to upgrade. This means that if you know you're focusing on a line or two to unlock blueprints (say, daggers and bows) on a given day, put out a rack of each and you can go Surcharge -> Compliment -> Sell and stay energized, or Surcharge an expensive item and then sell someone a garbage dagger on Discount and get all that energy back. The warehouse has no storage limits, so make one of each eventually and swap them in and out of your warehouse as needed.

Customers will only request items within a couple of levels of their own level, and will only accept suggestions +/- about 6 or 7 levels from their own. This means you can't just sell Pocket Knives with Dagger Racks forever for easy energy, you have to keep moving on to new base-level products. That said, if you stumble onto a blueprint that's early on and decent money (mine was Moon Boots) you can spam it for quite a while.

Upgrade resource bins and racks at every opportunity, up to at least level 6 or so. This is not only useful in and of itself, but can get you some easy and lucrative achievements. Another achievement set worth doing is Interior Decorator -- buy up torches and rugs and plants that are cheap and throw them around everywhere, then warehouse them when you're tired of looking at them. Once you're high enough level to afford enough gold-purchased (not gem-purchased) decorations you can score an easy million from this.

You only level up as a shopkeeper by selling items directly to customers. Crafting doesn't count, trade house sales don't count. Trade house sales can be a lot more lucrative, which is the tradeoff.

Keep your Inn quests going constantly. There's no reason not to. Don't go crazy keeping heroes' equipment up unless they're going on quests that need them; i.e. if you're just sending Minh out to collect Elven Dews, he doesn't need the full equipment Set Boost for that so don't craft something expensive to fill a slot that might just break the next time he goes out. Once you get up to Rainbow Dust or Moon Shards you can make plenty of gold chain-running those and selling them in the Trade House in bulk, though the market on those has been crashing lately as others figure that out.

Be prepared to be disappointed by what comes out of chests. Maybe dabble with an early chest or two in hopes of a decent blueprint but don't burn all your gems on them, because 75% of the time you get random items or quest mats instead.

Once you reach level 18, two good four-worker layouts are Blacksmith-Tailor-Artificer-Druid (missing Jewelry, Magic) and Leatherworker-Fletcher-Jeweler-Druid (missing Tinkering, Magic). Swapping out workers can get expensive once you get into Tier 2s but if you get tired of bows/guns/projectiles or rings/pendants, you can switch over once in a while to work on the other set.

When you have expansion opportunities in this game that are level-based but can buy them early with gems, DO NOT DO THIS. For example, fourth worker is at level 18; if you buy fourth worker with gems, at level 18 you _do not_ get an opportunity to buy Worker 5 with gold, it's simply a wasted opportunity.

delfin fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 23, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So on a whim, I messaged Shop Heroes on Facebook about my dual account issue, they got back to me within the hour and said they could fix it, all they need are the two user#12345 IDs and which one I wanted to keep. Awesome, 5/5, would contact tech support again.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

quote:

Focus on two or so item categories to focus on and to be your money makers. Ideally these should take different resources, but towards mid-endgame, items are going to take a lot of overlapping resources to make.
I have been blatantly ignoring this advice and going as broad as possible so I can outfit the heroes cheaply and pound out dungeons to sell the items. It seems to work but the disadvantage is my shopkeeper's level is way low for my net worth. On the other hand it means I have to spend very little money equipping my dudes, which is good since they're getting to the point where I have to pay 20k or more to cover a hole in the equipment that I can't make.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm in as coolcorn#11298 and level 8, but how do I search for a city? When I go to my city screen and view the open cities, I just see a handful with no option to search.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

COOL CORN posted:

I'm in as coolcorn#11298 and level 8, but how do I search for a city? When I go to my city screen and view the open cities, I just see a handful with no option to search.

You need an invite. You should join xtanstic, all the other cities are garbage.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bad Munki posted:

You need an invite. You should join xtanstic, all the other cities are garbage.

Well then invite me!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dude I totes did, ball's in your court!

This game straight up can not handle my iPad going to sleep. It never recovers, just sits there locked up until I fully kill the app and restart it. Super annoying.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 23, 2015

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

CrashCat posted:

I have been blatantly ignoring this advice and going as broad as possible so I can outfit the heroes cheaply and pound out dungeons to sell the items. It seems to work but the disadvantage is my shopkeeper's level is way low for my net worth. On the other hand it means I have to spend very little money equipping my dudes, which is good since they're getting to the point where I have to pay 20k or more to cover a hole in the equipment that I can't make.

It's fine to keep your other categories up to date for gearing up but like you've noted it's hurt your shopkeeper level. Picking 2 items categories that have 100% hero sell coverage and buying 2 racks of that type to let you suggest and surcharge those items with net positive hearts seems to be the best way to powerlevel.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Xtanstic has three more slots open (9 total) if anyone wants in on the best city around.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Shoot me one, please. fatsamurai#16374

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bad Munki posted:

Xtanstic has three more slots open (9 total) if anyone wants in on the best city around.

Invite me! trips#79665

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Invite me! trips#79665

The common man is welcome here, unlike TrumpPillage. Welcome to Sanderstown.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Nice work Munki! Spreading the word of Hiphopgoonpopolis.

Also I took a dip and invested the 25k required to level the fountain up, assuming that there was an extra zero added for the first level and that progression would be more in line with other hero buildings.

The next level is also 25k. Why do you do this to me Albert :negative:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

RoboCicero posted:

Nice work Munki! Spreading the word of Hiphopgoonpopolis.

Also I took a dip and invested the 25k required to level the fountain up, assuming that there was an extra zero added for the first level and that progression would be more in line with other hero buildings.

The next level is also 25k. Why do you do this to me Albert :negative:
Oh I remember those halcyon days of 25k buildings.

Everything is 300k+ now in MURDERVILLE. :unsmigghh:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

truly, I weep for your financial woes

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Anyone have a spot open in an active city with the 2nd tier workers open? SilverMike#69475 if you want another resident.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

SilverMike posted:

Anyone have a spot open in an active city with the 2nd tier workers open? SilverMike#69475 if you want another resident.

Just sent an invite for our last open spot.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Took the invite to MURDERVILLE, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Guys, I'm not made of iron, stop asking for knives. Would you like a nice maul? It's entirely made of wood. Yeah, the top as well, we just paint it silver. No don't ask me how it works.

Look, if the wimpy wizard can wield a maul, so can you.

gently caress bards and thieves forever.

• Locked thread