Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0SDT2GeFg

The newest film from Denis Villeneuve, director of Incendies (2010), Prisoners (2013), and Enemy (2013). He's currently filming Story of Your Life, a science-fiction film, and was announced as a director of the unnamed sequel to Blade Runner. He's working with Roger Deakins again, as he did on Prisoners to wonderful effect, so reports that it's a visually stunning affair are entirely believable. It's a first script by Taylor Sheridan, better known as an actor from Sons of Anarchy and Veronica Mars.

The film follows Emily Blunt (Edge of Tomorrow, Looper) as an FBI agent working near the US/Mexico border as part of a joint task force hunting a drug lord. The cast also includes Benicio del Toro (Guardians of the Galaxy, The Wolfman), Josh Brolin (The Goonies, Hollow Man), Victor Garber (Legally Blonde, Alias), Jon Bernthal (The Walking Dead, The Wolf of Wall Street), Daniel Kaluuya (Skins, Black Mirror), Maximiliano Hernández (The Americans, Captain America: The Winter Soldier), and Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice, Changeling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

Sure they "needed" a local agency liaison to operate on US soil, but she specifically was chose because "she's been a door-kicker since day one" and she's got a reason to hate the enemy.

I loved this scene because as much as it made sense at the time – he's looking for people to take the boots off, so he wants someone whose focus has been engaging physically with criminals – in retrospect it's specifically important that he receives confirmation she's never had investigative experience beyond what it implies about her willingness to get physical. He wants someone who won't be able to unravel what he's up to until it's too late, which we can see in his irritation whenever she asks questions.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cromlech posted:

Can somebody tell me what happens in the first 15 minutes? I just got here and missed it. I'm at the scene where Josh Brolin is vetting Emily Blunt in the offices

Emily Blunt goes into a house in Arizona in an attempt to recover hostages. They shoot some people, she gets shot at, but isn't hit. They find a massive number of corpses in the walls. She's shocked, her partner vomits. Some cops investigate a shed, find a door in the floor, open it, it explodes. In general, it's a disaster of a raid. This motivates her to accept Josh Brolin's offer later.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I probably would watch more Detective Loki, who is a fun take on a broad enough type to be slotted into a bunch of different stories, whereas there's not really anybody here who I think would be served by seeing more of. Like, it's perfect that Kate Macer (Emily Blunt) ends up signing the form, ends up unable to pull the trigger on Alejandro, and ends up out of the game, used up and done. Maybe she'll still be part of the FBI, but the real players got their brief use out of her and she's back to not mattering. Alejandro is a weapon and there's no particular reason to see him fired again. Matt's sure to get up to other shenanigans, but he never really mattered as a person.

This certainly could have been made like a TV show in the style of True Detective, but rather than being the first two episode or whatever, you'd basically do things like make the sequence where Kate takes Jon Bernthal home into an entire episode, and Villeneuve simply doesn't need that much time to get across what we need to know.

edit: Which I guess is a "that's the point" argument. But, well, it is the point that there's no future in this for Kate, no way for her to get back at the system that chewed her up. I guess what I'd say is that the fact that the story ends where it does, with nothing really fixed and just a slightly better accommodating of the status quo to be part of what makes the movie powerful.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 2, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I felt Brolin's character was pretty cliched and uninteresting though.

I liked his character as an exploration of that cliche, though that's something that was only really clear in retrospect. Like how his preference for a door-kicker with no investigative experience isn't because he prefers that attitude in general, which would be the cliche, but because he wants someone who won't know enough to ask the right questions. Or just how coldly cynical his support is for giving someone a chance at revenge, with Alejandro the ultimate realization of what it looks like to deploy someone like that.

Basically, less a cliche and more a purposeful deconstruction of a particular archetype.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's entertaining that the low-drag high-speed operators are douche-bros, and the casual way the movie is like, "yeah, and they're basically rapists too" is funny enough that it's a shame to have it go over your head, but such is comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Someone needs to make a thread for The Revenant. I'm seeing discussion about it everywhere.

Done

• Locked thread