Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just saw this. Liked it a lot. Appreciated how little plot there was. Forgot the dude from episode 2 of Black Mirror was in it, he was really very good. Emily Blunt continues to be awesome in everything i see her in (i wish My Summer of Love was on blu ray). Definitely agree with the person who said this is the successor to Zero Dark Thirty, in some ways it felt like a direct response to that movie. Great ending.

On my Villeneuve rankings i put it as much better than Prisoners and maybe a smidge better than Incendies but not as good as Enemy.

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Admittedly, I was so tense at that point that I straight laughed at Alejandro giving a guy an aggressive wet* willie.
*I did not actually see him wet the willie.

Alejandro definitely wet the willie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm shocked to learn how many people took a "Rah Rah America" message away from fuckin' ZD30.

i'm not sure there's a more concrete example of a movie that so many people made up their minds on before watching it.

maybe Last Temptation of Christ, i guess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Wasn't the whole reason it got "bad publicity" because people thought it glamorized war?

that was American Sniper. ZD30 got in trouble for supposedly condoning torture.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

second-hand smegma posted:

Well, I very much doubt a wide-release, well produced film is going to be allowed to explicitly state "the war on drugs is a farce; end drug prohibition." Gotta work within the subtext.

i think that in principle, this is no kind of excuse, but in practice, Sicario actually read to me as a pretty drat excoriating view of the drug war and its effect on Mexico.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Surlaw posted:

Finally got around to watching Enemy after totally loving Sicario, I hadn't seen any other of Villeneuve's movies before and I loved Enemy too! Will check out Prisoners when I get a chance. Is his earlier stuff worth looking for too?

Incendies is really good and I've heard unanimously positive things about Polytechnique.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Goddamn Sicario was good. Between this and Enemy, Villeneuve is definitely becoming one of my favourite current directors. Incendies was loving horrifying though, jesus. It's the kind of movie I can only stand to see once.

i actually found Sicario much more disturbing, although that might just be the use of actual photographs of mutilated cartel victims and stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it takes balls for a hollywood thriller to commit so fully to being completely unsatisfying. i mean that in a good way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cupachabra posted:

Initially the film has the hallmarks of gritty drugwar movies of old: feds rubbing up against the cia, rustling cartel hoods to move up a player at a time etc, but then one of the leads goes all metal gear solid on the the crime boss and his family in their guarded mansion. This just does not happen in real life or even decent literature, only in comic books and computer games.

what do you consider "decent litersture?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think it's high praise to compare Fury Road to Sicario.

• Locked thread