Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
This movie is ultra frustrating in the exact same way Prisoners was, where the visuals/audio/tension/performances are so loving good that it feels like you're watching a great movie, except once you get to the end of it you realize it's actually super shallow and the characters were basically non-existent and just puppets to serve the needs of the plot. It's actually kind of infuriating, it's like an imposter of a great movie.

Like, it's not bad, but I don't get how you can have such masterful direction of every shot and every sequence, but not see that the main character is completely useless in this story, and that the supposed twist and message isn't remotely shocking or interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
In both cases, there's an element of insincerity that holds the movies back. Prisoners and Sicario both feel very artificial and manipulative, like watching chess pieces being moved around a board instead of real human characters. It's like a David Fincher movie with all the skillful trappings that would entail, but with the secret sauce missing, it's tough to articulate.

The minimalism and complete sidelining of the protagonist might work better if I believed the movie as a procedural, but nothing about the operation feels believable to me. If the CIA wanted someone dead, and they had a target to follow, there are way easier ways of accomplishing this than sending a renegade assassin through Drug Tunnels to cross the border. You don't think we have hundreds of assets operating in Mexico that would get the job done? And it's awfully coincidental that Benicio's family happened to be killed by this exact drug lord so he can go seek revenge. This is where the movie has kind of an identity crisis in my opinion, where tonally it feels like it's going for a strong sense of authenticity, like Zodiac or Zero Dark Thirty, but Benicio's character and his entire climax feels like something out of a Luc Besson action movie. That, coupled with the "twist" that our protagonist actually has no relevance to this story, really deflates the movie for me.

Again, on a technical level? Masterful. But it truly is an example of style over substance if I've ever seen it.

bullet3 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 2, 2015

• Locked thread