Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I was sold on this movie from the teaser poster alone.

Like I'm not gonna lie, I am a total loving sap for a really good poster (which is why I proudly have The Thing 2011, Doomsday and It Follows framed and hanging up at home) and I will proudly own nice posters for movies that are terrible (case in point: I have a Chernobyl Diaries poster and the best actor in that movie is a wild bear) but I am loving the simple look of this teaser. A tunnel with inlaid mazes, the slow tarnishing of SICARIO, and a suit-clad explorer about to journey into the dark and unknown looks really really rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well, that was certainly a grim movie. I liked it and I am glad some of the stuff involving Alejandro was in it, especially near the end, to help remind me that it was a movie and not just something that probably does happen.

This felt a lot like the Anti-Counselor. Both films dehumanize the cartels and turn them into forces of human nature, smart cancers, but The Counselor is a film where you don't come in conflict with them if you just keep away because otherwise they'll just beat you down. In that film, the cartels are just big, alien fish that swallow up the guppies that attract their attention.

Sicario takes a different approach by tying it into the whole nature of post 9-11 nature of American supremacy, retaliation and alphabet departments operating with no oversight once someone says it's okay. Sicario's characters argue that yes, the cartels are a smart cancer. But you beat cancer with chemotherapy, surgery, medicine and it's not pretty. If you can't excise the cancer, the best you can do is just put it into dormancy, remission.

I like how the movie chastises you for buying into this mindset by letting you see the people of Juarez and just how dangerous this view can be when you take a cancer metaphor and apply it to living people.

Other thoughts: casting and acting was fantastic, the pacing is great, it doesn't feel bloated and I really appreciated the shots of the scenery. The convoy fading into the background as Juarez looms and seems to swallow them up as they enter is really great (along with the tunnel raid where they slowly sink into the black horizon of the land) and they do a really good job of getting Blunt and Kaluuya look small compared to everything. And I absolutely loved the part where the Mexicans are giving Brolin and del Toro info because despite everything else, they're treating these guys well and politely because they're just willing to play ball and provide info and they're so relaxed and open and even joking a little.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 25, 2015

• Locked thread