Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
This looks like it has a No Country For Old Men vibe set in 2015.

Immortan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Holy loving poo poo this thread. Comparing this to Zero Dark Thirty as :spergin: AMERICA FUK YEAH!!1! propaganda :spergin: ? What the gently caress?

But yeah, this is definitely up there with No Country For Old Men with me. The pacing, editing, tension, and cinematography were all top notch. Also, I wasn't expecting Alejandro to execute that drug lord's family in front of him before blowing his head off as revenge. gently caress. :catstare: I like to be surprised.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

IMB posted:

Great movie. Loved that Blunt and Silvio both smoked the same cigarettes. Two probably honorable cops sucked into the corruption above their pay grades.

:wow: I didn't catch that at first.

Also, I heard that The Cartel by Don Winslow is a great read and Sicario's similar subject matter finally convinced me to buy it. :D

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
A shame that this is bombing at the U.S. Box Office; but then again releasing this alongside The Martian was criminally stupid.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Snak posted:

Now obviously, Sicario has a lot more going on than that, but as someone who has seen lots of action movie, both the upbeat and the gritty, I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was this nihilistic about killing with military efficiency.

I liked how the film has an unambiguously ambivalent tone with respect to the violence depicted. The continuous violence and power structure behind the Cartels gradually made Mercer become morally jaded. These were both nice surprises from an action movie. I still do not see how the comparisons to Zero Dark Thirty are valid. This movie was essentially depicting what ‘is’ rather than what ‘ought’ to be. Zero Dark Thirty was pretty blatant in its pro-American bias; Sicario, not so much. There was even a scene where a DoD advisor (Matt Graver) was admiring the organization and tactics of the very Cartels he was fighting.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm shocked to learn how many people took a "Rah Rah America" message away from fuckin' ZD30.

Goons.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
This movie is going to look tits on BluRay.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, I suppose it's not if you're either an apologist or a loving moron. Several of those on this page

I think you might be retarded?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

centaurtainment posted:

Between Sicario, Fury Road, Ex Machina, and The Hateful Eight, this is one of the best years for American film since 2007.

Mad Max: Fury Road, Sicario, and most likely The Revenant for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

centaurtainment posted:

Have you seen The Revenant? I did and thought it was good, not great.

Not yet. The trailers look amazing though. I love the time period it's set in. I heard it's a hard R and I'm so down for a long chase across rugged, snowy terrain. The scenery is one of the main reasons I liked Sicario as well.

• Locked thread