Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I wrote a little blurb in the other thread.

---

Sicario - I've been really hyped for Sicario, and I may have watched that teaser too many times, enough to derive a bit too much out of the plot. For those sensitive to spoilers, this is a film that would really benefit from a blind watch. Yet, and I don't know how he does it, Villanueve (along with incredible cinematography from Deakins) manages to take whole swaths of his film and make them unbearably tense, and prolong that tension using sound design in a way that no other director is capable of right now. Sicario is probably the most moving and uncompromising film yet made on the US/Mexico drug war, and contrary to people claiming that it demonizes Mexico, it actually is amazingly effective at demonstrating the US' economic/militaristic complicity in the whole affair. At the same time it seemingly proposes, rather subversively, that many of the worst consequences of this fictitious war are heaped upon the shoulders of a rather poor and destitute Mexican populace. I think it's fair to say that the US is both insulated and largely unaware of the horrors happening in the region, but the film is both personal enough and daring enough to equate the American state to a cartel itself, a purveyor of what Chomsky would call "wholesale terrorism", and largely unanswerable for its own crimes against civilian populations. Great performances all around, especially Blunt and Del Toro. I can't wait to see what other people write about Sicario, because it's rather amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morestuff posted:

Saw this last night and liked it a lot. I'd seen complaints about Blunt's lack of agency before going into it, but I thought that was pretty clearly addressed both narratively and thematically. Her "flaws" are a respect for the chain of command, and a moral compass. You could have cast a man in the role and (aside from the sexual assault) mostly been fine, but the way she's disrespected, patronized and used in a calculated way just underlines the noxiousness of the system.

I think there's a lot made of the general attitude and environment of violence against women in the film, too. Villanueve is no stranger to discussing said themes (see Polytechnique for anyone accusing him of anti-feminist sentiment, or hell, the entirety of Enemy), and he's very straightforward with the idea that even though US military force is 'equal opportunity' its central power structure is built exclusively on the principles of the white male boy's club. No time for irrationality or hysterical fits of morality and due process, play along or be stomped. Or, better yet, in a scene that mirrors Macer's attempted sexual assault (and the systemic sexual assault of women in both Mexican and American culture)...Josh Brolin puts a knee to her neck and tells her to be quiet and stop moving. She's forcefully subdued, as is her black male partner to the tune of 'just let it happen.'

I don't think the dad-cop's scenes with his son are cliche or pointless at all. They serve a direct purpose of humanizing the casualties of violence that are committed tit for tat by the 'cartel' of the American state and it's illegal/immoral covert operations. Just one result of loosing their unpredictable attack-dog hitman into the wild. No one will ever hear about it in the USA or even in the flat, towerless expanse of Juarez, just another body in a grave that doesn't matter. And yet, where's the final shot? The final shot is on the kids and single mothers living amid rampant violence not of their making. It's chilling and uneasy, very similar to the scene in The Counselor where he finds himself on the street amid a protest of mothers who've lost their daughters to kidnapping, reprisal attacks, and human trafficking.

The agency that is denied Blunt's character is the agency that is denied women in all warzones. I like how Lucy Ellman put it:

"It wasn’t women’s idea (war was invented by Bronze Age patriarchal societies, following the invention of superior weaponry), and it’s not in women’s interests: war promotes and entertains men, but it severely curtails women’s freedoms. It is designed to subdue women and deprive them of what they need. Women, therefore, shouldn’t have to help with this. They shouldn’t have to proudly or tearfully or bravely welcome home the dead. They shouldn’t have to provide the world with young men and women to be killed, raped, tortured, maddened. War devalues the power of giving birth. That is its primary purpose. War serves as a means of rejecting and destroying women."

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 4, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Interesting to hear that others saw the movie with lovely audiences. I had chalked the laughing and applauding and "oh poo poo!"-ing in my screening up to NYC audiences being universally terrible.

I think a lot of people have the nervous reaction. I heard "waterboardin time!" at a PDX screening, most likely a sarcastic response to what many liberals in this region recognize as institutional wrongdoing in the military. But I'm pretty sure it's almost a universal human trait to respond to horror with humor. I've found this to be true during time in both Africa and India...but in Mexico, Central, and South America (places I haven't been) it seems to be even more the case, that there is a dark, maybe even fatalistic humor hovering over entire populations. Malcolm Lowry wrote a lot about this fatalism in Under the Volcano, by the way, and made many comments about Mexico being both beloved home and hell to him, though he was a foreigner basically drinking himself to death. :shrug: Such a good book.

There's a line in the film where someone says the freeway shootout will be in the news all over the country and someone else responds with the equivalent of "are you kidding me, no one will even hear about this in El Paso." One might get the impression that the statement implies a situation of media control in some sense, in a world where the NSA plants news articles abroad to be picked up domestically, but I think it speaks equally to the fact that Americans are either unaware or in denial of (more likely) current events around the world. Through the act of denial we are insulated and unprepared to deal with the discomfort of slave-labor working conditions, human trafficking, disease, food shortage, forced migration of populations, and other atrocities that are a result of our way of life. Those things happen predominantly in red-zones, which make us nervous to look at.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 4, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Viginti posted:

I also took that 'no-one will hear about this' line as a follow-up to the chat about the hanging bodies. The media will be told and will tell that some violent mexican criminals attacked heroic americans and lost, if they're told anything at all. It will be positioned as a righteous act, and therefore there's nothing to write about; Blunt knows that they provoked it, that they shot first, that they were in control and that the story isn't that simple but no-one else will.

It ties into the line that Brolin has when she asks what they're going to Juarez to do and he says 'overreact' or somesuch. It's not that the cartel aren't a threat (anyone with a gun and malintent is, as we know) just that like al-quida, the mujahadeen, ISIS, they aren't actually on the scale of a national invasion but that's the scale of the response. It's important that they don't take SWAT with them on these missions but Delta Force. It's a clear appropriation of War on Terror tactics to the War on Drugs; Medellin is no different than democratically installing a dictator. If you're comfortablt with the War on Terror, if you cheered in Zero Dark Thirty, then I can see why you would here as well.

There is a whole hell of a lot going on in the movie, it just skims past so much of it, leaving you to decide your opinion, then being blunt as hell at others. Like that score, which could so easily have been ridiculous but worked so well with his style.

I can't remember what thread it was where someone posted information showing that the war on drugs theater of operations actually uses a majority of the financial/legal resources appropriated for the war on terror. They might as well be referred to as subsections of a greater campaign for American hegemony.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

On my Villeneuve rankings i put it as much better than Prisoners and maybe a smidge better than Incendies but not as good as Enemy.

Alejandro definitely wet the willie.

I agree with your ranking, though it's tied with Enemy for me.

Also, less of a wet willie and more of an ear drum rape, fyi.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

centaurtainment posted:

The script refuses to take a stand on how it feels about what's going on, which would be fine except that Blunt's character also fluctuates in how she feels (she objects to and then goes along on at least three separate missions, and then impotently points the gun at Alejandro at the end), which keeps the audience from having an identifiable human anchor in the story. And the script's single attempt at having a human character (Silvio, the Mexican cop) is spoiled because he is ultimately just a tool to make the audience feel a certain way about Alejandro in the highway scene. Talking about Sicario after the fact makes it sound like it has a much better script than it actually does because a lot of the characters/scenarios work as metaphors for America's attitudes about US/Mexico border relations but are not very believable on-screen.

Luckily Villeneuve is a good enough director and the cast are all good enough actors to compensate for this.

Silvio actually serves as more of a connection to the invisible victims of violence in Mexico: women, children. There are a ton of allusions to this, and if you're familiar with Villanueve's style then this is easy to see.

Silvio is also an equivalent to Kate, as both are swallowed by an incomprehensible system that overpowers their better judgement. At the beginning of the film Kate worked for the FBI and was able to maintain a rigid, if naive, set of principles. By the end of the film she signs the document that violates those principles and places herself irrevocably beneath the will of the American cartel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

justlikedunkirk posted:

Throwing this in here for fun: A very well-written pan of the film that I pretty much disagree with 99% of.

http://reverseshot.org/reviews/entry/2098/sicario

Lotta buzzwords flying around in there.

Funny, he thinks that the film is saying "the ends justify the means." I got the exact opposite impression, with zero ambiguity.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

centaurtainment posted:

Showing Silvio eat breakfast four times with his family and like, wink at his wife when she sees him add booze to his coffee, does not a character make. We know nothing about his motivations, all we know is that it seems like he loves his son. Then the first time we see him outside of that very basic setting is the scene at the end of the tunnel, at which point he simply becomes a human shield for Alejandro, who kills him for basically nothing.

That arc works very nicely if you're writing an essay cuz you can make the same claim that you did, that he represents the unseen victims blah blah blah, but that doesn't make his character in the movie strong or compelling. You don't need dialogue, but why not show him playing some soccer with his kid while dressed as a cop, or him going to the game with his family (like at the end, but with him?). Keeping us in the house, when he's waking up, for multiple scenes, was a waste of time, and his role in the story was too small to justify those repetitious scenes.

Or focus on the wife if you're gonna stay inside the house. She could have been the character you're talking about, but since she barely interacts with Silvio or his kid she's relegated to the sidelines until her last scene at the soccer match (no pun intended).

I know I'm taking the negative view in this thread but I really liked this movie. It's one of the best this year, but it falls short of greatness for some very basic and fixable reasons, all of which have to do with the characters either being weather-worn cliches (Alejandro) or inconsistent in their behavior (Macer). The movie is under-written to its own detriment, although since you're using the term "expository dialogue" pejoratively I'm not going to go too far down that road.

That was my post, actually. Man, is the film too blunt or too subtle? I can't decide!

VVVVVVVVVVV and yet, it's making a whole lot of other points simultaneously.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 9, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Well, this actually released in central Michigan and my dad went to see it. He said the tension almost gave him a heart attack.

His little town cineplex never gets anything but the most mainstream movies, and with that in mind I'm making the assertion that Sicario is about as subversive as film can get right now if it's going to play on 2500 screens. Villanueve definitely must have some people that believe in him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm not sure there's a more concrete example of a movie that so many people made up their minds on before watching it.

maybe Last Temptation of Christ, i guess.

I'll admit that it's hard to tune out the publicity noise machine of headlines and think pieces, but I mostly felt that it was made a little too soon after the assassination itself for proper critical consideration (by a nation still relatively consumed in war fervor), and way too close to a presidential reelection to not be considered utilitarian on a political level. The fact that there were all sorts of weird conflicting interchanges between Boal, Bigelow, and CIA representatives really muddied the waters for a movie that's play-acting as narrative based on facts at hand. REDACTED.

It doesn't have to condone warfare, militaristic culture or even torture to come off as propaganda. If you don't think the tag line "The Greatest Manhunt in History" has a conniving tone in relation to our extra-legal affairs in other countries then I don't know what to tell you. Or maybe I just think it's cowardly to present a moment of historical crux using the language of amoral detachment and faux-journalistic pedigree. (the assassination serving as a unifying moment of American ideology, a tool to provide retroactive credibility to a war that destabilized an entire region and left hundreds of thousands dead and millions displaced). Maybe the dead deserve more.

As was the case with cinematic reactions to Vietnam, I see more potent indictments of the GWoT to come with the passing of time, which kind of leaves ZD30 in the dustbin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also American Sniper didn't get bad publicity.

Chris Kyle is the physical embodiment of bad publicity.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 11, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress me, I cannot stop thinking about this film. :shepicide:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Regarding the scene you're referring to

The cop that shadows the convoy is from Juarez, while Silvio is from Nogales. He had nothing to do with the Americans until the tunnels

Something else:

I can't say I pegged Silvio for an innocent when he was first introduced. All the secrecy and conspiratorial menace that happened prior, really clouded my perception of a Mexican man sleeping through the morning.

We do not see him go to work, wash his car, or play soccer with his son, because they are irrelevant to our viewpoint. We do not see these things because it is only important that he is a Mexican, and we fill in the blank. You do notice how little we learn of him. He works late, he owns a gun he shouldn't have, he frequently isn't home.

If you imagine this movie without those scenes, Silvio would simply be another gangster with slightly more screentime. His role in the plot is so minor that it's repeated. Alejandro kills him, and uses him as a pawn to get closer to Manuel Diaz. Then minutes later, he uses Manuel for the exact same purpose.

Silvio could have been anybody, but instead he wasn't. His life exists outside of anyone else's perspective, even the audience's. He is everything that should be forgettable.

The scene when Silvio steps out of his car and walks towards Manuel is set up like the climax to a Western. The two men, a criminal and a lawman stand face to face while camera affixes at head level. They stare at each other until shots ring out, and both fall to the ground. But it's a total sham, and Alejandro steps out of the darkness and puts an end to that genre moment.

I just liked that moment

Nice post.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Goddamn, this would make an awesome DVD cover.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My dad posed me this question:

"...who do you think is more malevolent, Benicio del Toro in Sicario, or Javier Bardem in No Country?"

I'm actually not sure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I guess it would come down to principles, for me.

Alejandro certainly show's both compassion and reserve between bouts of indiscriminate violence, but it feels like political two-timing, an agent of the Neo-liberal state that smiles to your face while dropping a bomb on your village. He basically makes Kate violate herself at gun-point in order to fulfill contractual obligations.

Chigurh offers people the coin-flip, and in that way he's an agent of chaos, but as he chases down the main players it becomes more apparent that the money represents a blood-fued, that the money is tainted itself and he's found a way to rationalize stamping out any insect that drinks from the sugar-water.

I suppose Bardem, by a hair.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Well, I very much doubt a wide-release, well produced film is going to be allowed to explicitly state "the war on drugs is a farce; end drug prohibition." Gotta work within the subtext.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

some good rear end posts itt

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Just means you'll like the movie even more on the second viewing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

I understand the Mayor of Juarez's complaint, but there's not a lot you can do about that. Just because crime is getting better there doesn't mean that it hasn't been bad, and you can't hold films to be accurate by time they are finished being made. That's just ridiculous. No one really wins there.

As for the xenophobic aspect, I think it's basically unfounded. In fact, the way the story is told we really only see Americans (and Alejandro) being monsters and Mexicans being victims. Yes we see bodies and are told stories about the crimes committed by the Cartel, but none of these things happen on-screen. On the flip side, we see a bunch of (predominantly white male) American paramilitary operators gun down Mexicans like they are expendable movie bad-guys, and literally oppress the female and black police officers. These aren't accidents. Sicario makes a pretty damning statement about the way American authority treats human life. There's even a line reminding us that the American public's demand for narcotics is what fuels the Cartel violence in Mexico.

Exactly. Not even just the demand, but the fact that drug prohibition (and the moralization of drug use or addiction) is the very engine of the militarized conflict. With Mexico, America has successfully created a big loving scapegoat for its own lovely political/economic/moral failings.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

I'm not gonna lie. I'm going through some reasonably serious depression right now, and I think I big part of why I loved this movie so much is because I felt like it affirmed my view that the world is poo poo and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Henry Miller posted:

Everything is endured--disgrace, humiliation, poverty, war, crime, ennui--in the belief that overnight something will occur, a miracle, which will render life tolerable. And all the while a meter is running inside and there is no hand that can reach in there and shut it off. All the while some one is eating the bread of life and drinking the wine, some dirty fat cockroach of a priest who hides away in the cellar guzzling it, while up above in the light of the street a phantom host touches the lips and the blood is pale as water. And out of the endless torment and misery no miracle comes forth, no microscopic vestige even of relief. Only ideas, pale, attenuated ideas which have to be fattened by slaughter; ideas which come forth like bile, like the guts of a pig when the carcass is ripped open.

And so I think what a miracle it would be if this miracle which man attends eternally should turn out to be nothing more than these two enormous turds which the faithful disciple dropped in the bidet. What if at the last moment, when the banquet table is set and the cymbals clash, there should appear suddenly, and wholly without warning, a silver platter on which even the blind could see that there is nothing more, and nothing less, than two enormous lumps of poo poo. That, I believe, would be more miraculous than anything man has looked forward to.

- Tropic of Cancer

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Judakel posted:

And I disagree. You never explain why it would. Apparently it just does.

Shut it with your straw man.

You've made four posts in this thread (on this page!) so far and said absolutely nothing. Burden of proof is on you.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 3, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I actually watched Nightcrawler after I got home from seeing Sicario in the theater. It was :thumbsup:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Judakel posted:

He has already granted me that the characters are developed lightly, so I have nothing left to prove. Learn about argumentation before you comment. Let him explain why character development and the simplistic moral struggle at the heart of this film are mutually exclusive, or own up to the fact that the characters are poorly developed without an excuse.

I'd love to hear you elaborate, actually, rather than co-opting other people's posts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Incendies was loving horrifying though, jesus. It's the kind of movie I can only stand to see once.

I felt that the first time I watched it, too. Then I watched it 3 more times. :D

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Saw it again and this time (when I was more concerned about what was happening in the frame vs the plot) the allusions to sexual violence, especially against women, stood out plain as day. They were literally everywhere. The scene where they visit the groups of detainees (headed wherever, over the border? to ICE camps?) remained poignant.

And this film definitely makes you dwell on each single instance of a legal drug reference, Matt's whiskey hands, cigarette after cigarette, as if to make a viewer question why certain drugs are prohibited while others are accepted.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

am0kgonzo posted:

Ignoring the way those scenes actually play out on screen to make a point isn't very interesting.

Oh god give me a loving break.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Well, I suppose it's not if you're either an apologist or a loving moron. Several of those on this page

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

keyframe posted:

Just saw this. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time now. I read that the director and Roger Deakins are reuniting for Blade Runner 2 which makes me stupidly excited.

Villanueve is also doing Ted Chiang's The Story of Your Life, he might be my favorite director right now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

Yeah this was announced awhile back. Actually before the movie even came out in wide release. It's how I knew he was the titular sicario. I'm not super thrilled about it, because I feel like Sicario is a perfectly self-contained film, and I liked the split protagonism between Blunt and del Toro.

But obviously I'm gonna keep an open mind.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

VVVVVVVVV BMD has some nice articles here and there

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 25, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it takes balls for a hollywood thriller to commit so fully to being completely unsatisfying. i mean that in a good way.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it takes balls for a hollywood thriller to commit so fully to being completely unsatisfying. i mean that in a good way.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Feel-bad movie of the year!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Best movie of 2015 for me

This is what I would be saying if Fury Road didn't exist, but I'm surprised and thrilled that both movies met and surpassed my expectations. I talked with a stranger for 3 hours yesterday about movies, much of which we agreed on, and he went away vowing to watch the entire Villanueve catalog.

I felt a little jealous, actually.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

centaurtainment posted:

The opposite problems, actually. I found it to be bloated. The script took what should have been a simple story and added in at least one too many subplots, which dilutes the impact it should have. If it were only its best scenes, it would be a great movie, but there's a lot of fat there.

This is pretty common with Inarittu, I think. I'm still looking forward to it though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

centaurtainment posted:

I guess I was hoping that he would be able to build on the relative subtlety of Birdman when compared to his previous films, but the The Revenant is more like his older stuff, a very simplistic, on-the-nose type movie with almost nothing left to the imagination that treats the audience members like idiots who need every last thing spelled out for them five times. There are places where that works to its advantage, specifically Leo's character's parts, but overall I think it could have used a good editor to streamline it.

It's definitely worth seeing; like Sicario (we're still in that thread, right?) it has some incredible individual scenes and at least one great performance.

I definitely think Inarritu condescends a lot, but he's obviously gifted. And hell, I'll see it for Chivo's camerawork alone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

durk onion posted:

One other question: why were the illegals helping Alejandro with the tunnels? Wouldn't they think that they were going to shut down their way back into the country? They seemed awfully friendly.

Because they're poor and intimidated and surrounded by stone-faced enforcement officers. Because they're already headed off back across the border or worse to some abysmal ICE detention center...so why not play along?

That's the impression I got.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

96 spacejam posted:

Either way it goes along with the entire tone of the movie and kind of a moot point to argue over.

agh NVM i don't care

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 22, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The 8 person cartel death squad was dead either way, that's why they were sweating it so much, they were given a death sentence mission and the Delta guys both know this and exploit it.

"What are the rules of engagement here?"

"Stay in the car; if they move, you move."

The moment the door cracks they are all over the cartel members. Procedurally by the book. The reason it feels wrong is the story's running theme of the US military continually manipulating desperate populations for their own economic benefit using extreme amounts of force. The state of perpetual warfare serves as a continual boon for the supreme military force, they who have the ability to puppeteer strategy over lesser nations and fight wars using drones rather than boots.

Kate's reaction to the sudden "authorized" violence is the proper human reaction to the way a military superpower doles out violence across the world with such casual abandon and emotional disinvestment.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Excellent discussion itt, it's cool that the film operates on a level that can support varied interpretation without resorting to outright ambiguity.

Good on Villanueve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Death By The Blues posted:

Hello!

If anyone is interested my business partner and I decided to take a stab analyzing the themes within Sicario, hopefully this is kosher.

Sicario: The Mirage of the Moral World

Holy poo poo, you are a goon among men!

edit;

also, your Serenity/genre vid is loving great

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 5, 2016

• Locked thread