Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

This is how you say, "Hey, what's a grimace?"

quote:

Hear me out.

I am a 25 year old, college educated adult human who reads a moderate amount. I'd ballpark a lifetime average of about a book a month.

That being said, I have an honest and sad lack of condfidence on what the hell a grimace is. It seems like every book I read, especially in the fantasy genre, has at least one scene where a character "grimaces" at another. And it makes me hit a road block every single drat time. Without fail, i get pulled out of the story because as I am unconsciously picturing the scene I am reading in my head, my stupid brain runs into a computer-like runtime error at not being able to picture the face a character is supposed to be making.

Sure, i've made attempts to look up the definition. But even that has borne my uncreative ,video game-addled brain-tree any fruit. In fact, it just leaves me with more questions; like, what the hell was McDonalds thinking with that purple blob mascot?

Google tells me that a grimace is;

an ugly, twisted expression on a person's face, typically expressing disgust, pain, or wry amusement.

disgust

or

amusement

Ok. Great thanks for clearing that up. It goes onto give the glaringly unhelpful usage in the following example;

"I sipped the coffee and grimaced"

Ok, now they're just screwing with me. I know people who love coffee, and I know people who hate it. More context plz.

So, anyway. Is it just me? Is their any hope of me learning the intricate uses of the word? Anyone have any tips and tricks to increase my own comprehension...i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys, go Giants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:secondpost:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:page3:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:firstpost:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

:5thpost:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
IM GRIMACING RIGHT NOW

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

:wtf:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
sorry bout your autism OP and how you cant understand facial experssions

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:zerg:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Hey there, mister.

Hear me out.

I am a 25 year old, college educated adult human who's no stranger to the concept of time. I'd ballpark I look at a clock of some kind eleven times a day.

That being said, I have an honest and sad lack of condfidence on what the hell time it is. It seems like around here you can't find a clock anywhere. And it makes me hit a road block every single drat time. Without fail, i'm late for appointments because

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
it's me

I'm a grimace

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
A grimace is the face your father makes when he finds you reading that trash in his house instead of looking for work.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Beat me 2 it

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
:whitewater:

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

gently caress the ROW posted:

IM GRIMACING RIGHT NOW

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Thanks guys, go Giants!

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

yo you could use a real dictionary besides google like the OED and figure that poo poo out go giants

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Why don't I hear any sleep screams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeyU7uVOTic

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
It's when you go "eurgh"

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Grimace = salmonella. Always hangs with Ronald but can never be his friend.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpcEfTcYiO4

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

The Grimace posted:

it's me

I'm a grimace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Sir John Feelgood posted:

This is how you say, "Hey, what's a grimace?"

This guy is apparently too stupid to type grimacing in youtube. This should be about on his level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ogCT97OjU

• Locked thread