Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

I was on the fence about creating a thread, since the already archived thread for S1 didn't get too far. Then again, it was a midseason debut.

Not going to write a whole lot again. There were only thirteen episodes so far, but we already have a good idea what to expect. The first U.S. network sitcom about an Asian American family since Margaret Cho's show crashed and burned, it's pretty much your standard network single-cam comedy. Think something like "Asian Modern Family" set in Florida. Besides the asian cast, the other hook it's set in the 90s, so you'll have a bunch of "Oh I remember that" and "Hey it's Scottie Pippen". Nothing revolutionary, but the cast's great and the writing is good enough; there's enough here to hit a nerve with some people. People know who the dad Randall Park is now, but the real show stealer is Constance Wu as the mom. And the kid actors, including Hudson Yang as the main character, are surprisingly good. Paul Scheer and Ray Wise also pop up in this show.

Nominally based on the book of the same name by chef and writer Eddie Huang, he's actually quite annoyed with how this show ended up for supposedly being a much neutered, family-friendly version of his memoir. He's kind of a polarizing figure, petty enough to be sucked into Twitter skirmishes, so maybe it's good that he's not doing the voiceover anymore.

If this thread doesn't just simply limp along, expect a lot of "As an Asian kid who grew up in the 90s..." here. Also, whatever drama real Eddie decides to drum up.

Family Business Trip | 8:30 PM on ABC, 30 min 2015 TV-PG
In the Season 2 premiere, Louis reluctantly brings the family along on a business trip to Gator World, where Jessica learns to relax and Eddie takes on the "Death Roll." In other events, Evan loses his last baby tooth.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is such a charming little show and I'm glad it got renewed. Definitely veers on corny, which you have to expect from ABC, but there are definitely enough ridiculous/absurd/over-the-top moments to keep me watching.

I also get unreasonably giddy whenever I see Randall Park pop up in other stuff. He's absolutely hilarious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I too look forward to the return of this show. All about the mom.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I'm still waiting for Shaq to show up in an episode. If they got Scotty Pippen, they can get Shaq.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is such a charming little show and I'm glad it got renewed. Definitely veers on corny, which you have to expect from ABC, but there are definitely enough ridiculous/absurd/over-the-top moments to keep me watching.

I have old chinese immigrant landlords (they are both the mom from this show). Nothing in this show is over the top. Ridiculous, absurd? Yes. But over the top or in any way unbelievable? No.

They are so cheap they won't use tap water, they put buckets out to get rain.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

IRQ posted:

I have old chinese immigrant landlords (they are both the mom from this show). Nothing in this show is over the top. Ridiculous, absurd? Yes. But over the top or in any way unbelievable? No.

They are so cheap they won't use tap water, they put buckets out to get rain.

I meant more the crazy melodramatic shitshows at the restaurant, or the part where the only thing missing from the rasta circle at the school fair was :420:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yep. I had pump sneakers well after they stopped being cool.

If they were ever cool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I'm still waiting for Shaq to show up in an episode. If they got Scotty Pippen, they can get Shaq.

This absolutely has to happen.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

The mom is very much my mom, so I can relate to this episode. The taking remote batteries and bathroom implements, setting the room temperature to ice cold, saying kids were 5 when they were 8 or 9... holy poo poo they got this right. :unsmith:

As a sidenote, that Reading Rainbow shirt was hilarious.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

The laughing about going on vacation just got to me. Sitting at home playing SNES ,watching MTV, and my grandma floating around was spot on. I don't know why but the Mask bit was hilarious as well.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I don't know what was worse Shaqs Cd, movie or video game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

joebuddah posted:

I don't know what was worse Shaqs Cd, movie or video game.

Have you played the indie JRPG starring Charles Barkley? It's recent-ish.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Shaq is indeed appearing on FOB.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I was delighted that last night was apparently the Riki Lindhome Hour.

After being tragically disappointed with The Muppets, it was great to come back to Fresh Off the Boat and see it still being as top notch as it was last season. Constance Wu is a treasure.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"Your job is a vacation, from poverty" :lol:

There's no way anything in the season is topping that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

"Your job is a vacation, from poverty" :lol:

There's no way anything in the season is topping that.

Jessica coming in for the solid high-five is what killed me. I could probably go for a gif of that.

I'll also never get tired of Emery being surrounded by girls.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Boy II Man | 8:30 PM on ABC, 30 min 2015 TV-PG
Eddie is crushed when Nicole, who convinced him to quit piccolo and tutor her, ditches him for another boy.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

"...a little girl, which we could create in under one minute."

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Holy poo poo that dinner table sing-a-long

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Leland Palmer and Other Cum Son on the same hilarious half hour comedy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The new principal was hilarious. I really hope we get to see more of him at some point, hopefully with his asian wife.

I loving lost it at the dinner table scene. They just slowly all start joining in one at a time singing Boyz II Men, and then... just cutting to the grandmother swaying back and forth smiling. I died.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Famdav posted:

Holy poo poo that dinner table sing-a-long

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Latest episode was like sitcom 101

as in the really good and funny way, not the generic way

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Shaquille O'Neal Motors | 8:30 PM on ABC, 30 min 2015 TV-PG
Louis plans a romantic evening with Jessica for their wedding anniversary—at the car dealership. In other events, Evan and his "friends" help Eddie buy a hot dog-shaped water slide.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I too look forward to the return of this show. All about the mom.

Yeah she's the best

Really surprised at Eddie Huang not returning for the voiceover but he's probably rich off this anyway

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah she's the best

Really surprised at Eddie Huang not returning for the voiceover but he's probably rich off this anyway

He virulently hates the direction they've taken the show so I'm betting it has more to do with that.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The real Eddie Huang is kind of a douche and this show is great, so no big loss really

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

They fired Eddie Huang. If you need to see why, look at his rants. http://deadline.com/2015/04/eddie-huang-fresh-off-the-boat-tweets-1201406604/

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Duke posted:

The real Eddie Huang is kind of a douche and this show is great, so no big loss really

Yeah, having seen him on a few things he comes off as a real shitlord and seems to revel in it so good for him I guess, but I don't need wife beating in my sitcom.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

Yeah, having seen him on a few things he comes off as a real shitlord and seems to revel in it so good for him I guess, but I don't need wife beating in my sitcom.

Plus, he was signing a deal with ABC, so he had to know what direction it was going to take. It's not like anything anywhere expected anything other then "Asian Modern Family"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
IT'S HAPPENING

...Shaq-Fu :argh:

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 7, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Okay that was pretty amusing.

Shaq, I forgive you for endorsing Chris Christie for governor.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

We don't want another...

Jamesman posted:

...Shaq-Fu :argh:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Lil' Eddie is quickly becoming the least interesting part of this show and all for the better.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I loving died when Shaq was actually behind the door.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pentyne posted:

Lil' Eddie is quickly becoming the least interesting part of this show and all for the better.

The mom has always been the best part of the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pentyne posted:

I gotta calm this mess down was pretty good.

The kid actors are good, helped by strong characterization. The kids remind me of Malcolm in the Middle a bit in that way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Xoidanor posted:

I loving died when Shaq was actually behind the door.

Same. Shaq's cameo was much better than I expected.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Fall Ball | 8:30 PM on ABC, 30 min 2015 TV-PG
Louis wants Eddie's first school dance to be as perfect as a John Hughes film; and Jessica tries to get on Grandma Huang's good side so that she'll invest in her new business venture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So good

• Locked thread