Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

did the game come out yet? how much money have they taken in? what ever happened with Derek smart, did he get the life saving drugs he needed for his poz hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Yes its out.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it got released alst week with way more features than they promised. fully immersive 3D, glorious play-er controlled plots, you can put a lazer cannon on top of other lazer cannons and ram your ship into

oh nvm im thinking of that minecraft clone they built in space.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

BeefThief posted:

did the game come out yet? how much money have they taken in? what ever happened with Derek smart, did he get the life saving drugs he needed for his poz hole?

Derek Smart's drugs now cost $750 per pill so he has had to cut down on coke. And coke machines.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
derek smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Sometimes, I'm scared. I'm not afraid to admit it.

*blushes slightly, but powerfully*

We all get scared, I like to think. Sure, some of us hide it well, but it's there, that weakness deep inside. What are you scared of? I don't mean snakes, or heights, those are shallow fears. I mean what are you scared of? Dad? Failure? Making poor life decisions? I don't blame you, those are some real things to be scared of. I'm not scared of any of that though, I've tempered this soul my whole life, blocking out all the nonsense. The only thing left for me to be scared of is running out of fuel in hyperspace mach 22 because I'm no longer scared of saying that I am flying the millenial falcon.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

shart shitizen

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tokamak posted:

shart shitizen

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
buncha cumdorks furiously fapping in the hope that if they shed enough dickskin the game will miraculously not suck/come out

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
my friend works on it irl

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

It's out and it's good. You should try it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is this the game some guy fleeced a bunch of money from goons over?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

yeah, think there's an actual google spreadsheet with goon names and figures donated.

that being said, goons are obviously not responsible for the entirety of the $90 million or so loving given to this shitstorm of a project.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Hector Beerlioz posted:

its literally worse than the hot dog stand. at least that came into existence

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lol

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Are they still pushing release dates further into the future ?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I’d like to touch on a few things.

First, people know me well enough by now to know that

a) I tend not to lie. It’s not in my DNA because it’s not a good quality. It’s an ego thing being caught in a lie

b) I have very strong convictions and my tenacity and resilience are legendary

c) I tend to be fair, even if/when I’m wrong (which doesn’t happen very often)

I’m not perfect, and I when I mess up I don’t make excuses. I own it, take the heat, move on.

The fact is that, when I backed this project back in 2012, like I have so many others, I did so because, for me, it was more of nostalgia more than anything else. All that aside from my undying love for a genre that, despite a lot of challenges, failures, ridicule etc, made my life today, possible.

This genre has afforded me a pretty good life, I have made many friends and acquaintances, traveled the world, raised a family, have very nice things etc. Despite all that, I remain connected to the industry at various heights, from the high-level execs, to the average unknown gamer. I don’t hide behind a PR mouthpiece. Which is why, being over-exposed and someone who can be engaged, makes me such an easy target for abuse, attacks etc. But I’m old school and I don’t intend to change the fact that I’m a gamer by trying to elevate myself above the very gamers who brought me this far.

I challenge you to run a search on the SC forums and see how many times Chris Roberts has ever engaged the gamers who gave him this money. We did. And the results are startling. I will post them in my next blog.

I respond to any gamer, regardless of whether or not they bought or are playing my games. I know who I am, I know where I’ve been – and I know that I’m not above the very people who are largely responsible for how I got here.

Back when I gave Chris money, I didn’t – for one minute – take into account the fact that he was going to revert to his old ways and screw up again. I was willing to give him a chance. I felt that, like me, he had grown up, learned a lot of things and perhaps not tethered to publishers – the platform he was now riding on – he could maybe pull this off. And if he didn’t, it was only $250. I don’t even need to get out of bed for that amount of money. In other words, I wouldn’t miss it if the game was delivered and it sucked etc.

At the time, it was vision 1.0. I’m not going to repeat everything in my blogs. You know all of it already, regardless of your feelings about it.

I have never disclosed this before. What caused me to start looking into this, was because back on June 9th, 2015, I received a very long and detailed email explaining to me what was going on. Then days later, I got on a call with this person. By the time I was off the call, I was completely and utterly speechless. The picture basically was that Chris and co (which included Wingman and others he had worked with from back in the day) were pretty much back to their old tricks again and that the project had absolutely no chance of success with him at the helm.

I have spoken to and communicated with no less than 17 people attached to this project. Both past and present. Most of them I didn’t even know before. But they were willing to talk to me because, despite all the poo poo that people post, I am very close to people in this industry. And one thing they know about me is that I am very loyal, I never – ever – breach confidentiality. And I can be trusted. Anyone who has access to my LinkedIn or Facebook lists, can see the caliber and quality of industry people in there. I don’t take this lightly because relationships are everything to me.

That’s precisely why I had reached out to Chris, to get his side, before my first blog went up. He blew me off. I didn’t give up because, again, I wanted to be fair. I reached out to our common friends on Facebook. Same thing. Even LinkedIn and back channels (through his PR person, David, who I sent the first blog before it was even live) – all yielded the same result.

Yet, he was having discussions (yes Chris, it all comes back to me eventually) with other industry people, telling them how I was out to “get him”, that I was “crazy”, “jealous” etc. He later uttered the similar sentiment in a Gamescon interview.

As the story goes, in one instance, Chris was sitting at a dinner table, laughing about how incredulous it was to him that gamers were paying so much money for concept ships. So they were going to keep doing it. I have full intentions of deposing EVERYONE who was party to this discussion – under oath.

This, and a bunch of other yet to be disclosed events, are what led me to start digging and writing these blogs. I have tried very hard to be objective and to keep emotions out of it. Sometimes I fail, but I am only human and I don’t profess to be perfect.

Still, in writing these blogs, knowing the potential for being sued if I write anything that isn’t opinion based or which is known to be false or intentionally malicious, I was still cautious. Particularly because I didn’t want to do or say anything which would caste, not only Chris, but also the project, in a poor light and cause people angst. Which is precisely why the tone of my first blog, Interstellar Citizens, was about my disappointment, the comparisons to ED and SC to my own large projects etc.

The minute they (word is that Sandra made the call, and that she was 100% responsible for what followed) made it personal with Ben’s (Sandra’s pet) forum post, which was made at the same time as the press statement they issued – then refunded me – I knew we were at war.

Word is that several people told them that engaging me was a very bad idea. But Sandra was adamant (she’s the single most hated person on this project, and Chris, for some reason is reportedly afraid of her) that they “come after me” and she made statements alluding to the fact that a) I already had a bad rep with gamers b) they had the support of the Star Citizen backers.

This is the same person who has NO experience with the industry.

And what she predicted would happen, is precisely what did happen. The mob came.

In fact, just last week, one of my researchers gave me a spreadsheet which has the public forum names of every single person who has ever engaged in this attack against me since July. They are ALL the same people. Only a few are new (we think they are alt accounts, but we have no proof). Most of these people, unlike some of us who tend to use our real names, hold on to their avatar/names like a badge of honor, so they keep them consistent everywhere.

That’s the only reason why the tone in my follow-up blogs, changed, and I started to unleash everything that I was holding back. I still try to remain objective, but when the gloves come off, they come off. That’s how that works.

Even by the time Wingman left, its reported that relations between him, Chris and pretty much everyone, was already strained. In fact, when Wingman made that off-hand comment (it was false) on the forums which I made him remove, someone (still at CIG) made the comment to me that “We don’t even know why he did that. It’s not like there’s any love lost between him and Chris”

I already knew about how Chris and Sandra were running the project. I know why some specific people were leaving, as more were coming (everyone needs a job). I knew everything related to the German offices because, again, I have friends all over the world. And when you piss people off, treat them like poo poo etc, they’re going to go talk to the one person who is brave enough and has the balls to stand up and take these people on. Me.

That’s why I called for them to be investigates, for Chris to resign and let someone else (not me, I have no interest in that) run the project etc. Because when Alex left, it was clear that they wanted to keep the project within a closed loop of sycophants in order to reduce the chances of leaks, accountability etc.

Unfortunately for them, in this dangerous cat and mouse game we’re now engaged in, these people (past and present) are legally protected and are required to testify under oath about this project, why they left etc. They have NO choice. NONE.

Heck, despite my convictions, as I stated again in a recent interview (not yet published), I said that I would even settle for Erin taking over the project, even though it’s unlikely that he is going to have that much influence over his brother. But the fact is, he is very experienced, it gives them an “out” etc. Even though it may cast Chris in a poor light if with Erin at the helm, the project turns out as expected (it won’t, but it’s a better shot with Erin).

Everyone (industry and gamers alike) attached to this, has picked sides and playing the stupid game of “The enemy of my enemy is my friend“, ignoring the facts that this project is doomed, has been run into the ground, and has very little hope for recovery. More importantly, at every turn, and every step, the creators of this project have seemingly misled backers and have yet to account for $90m in backer money.

Unfortunately for them, I know pretty much every – drat – thing. And each time one of my blogs is published, or I post something on social media, Sandra apparently loses her mind and makes everyone’s life a living hell. Have you seen the dynamics and body language people exhibit around her in some of those videos (compare to the ones with she and Ben only)? No? Look again. It’s all there.

This was never personal. And even though they chose to make it personal, I keep trying to remain objective. You can even see the arrogance and personal nature of Ortwin’s response letter. And that’s precisely why I chose to make it public. This is what we can expect going forward because that’s just another deflecting tactic in attacking the messenger, instead of addressing the issues.

People think that I am taking this too personally. But here’s the thing, I am human. If this didn’t effect me at a personal level, why would I care?

Back in July when I offered up to $1m to hire someone to bring accountability to this project, some (who don’t know me well enough), thought I was bluffing. So now, I’m spending that money on investigations, legal action etc.

As part of that, I am in the process of hiring a well known firm that specializes in investigative media reporting and research. It’s going to cost well over $100K as quoted, but I am going to pay to do a complete and independent investigation of this project and all the creators attached to it.

Then I’m going to make the entire results public, and attach them to the impending legal action. I am also going to hand it over to the State and Fed authorities because, if nothing else, it gives them an unbiased overview of what has going on, and also give a footprint of where to start looking and asking questions.

People think that I’m doing this because I am a competitor? Fine, I can see how that would be the perception. But ask yourself this: why haven’t the media, who have all these resources, done anything thus far? Besides fluff pieces, soft questions etc? So now, I am going to take myself out of the equation.

Regardless of how this ends, I know with 100% certainty, that I am right to be pursuing this and asking questions. Unfortunately, the only way that I am going to be able to prove that something is amiss, is by spending my own money and taking legal action.

I asked them for three simple things. Basic things that all backers are entitled to, whether they want it or not. Them refusing, while engaging in personal attacks against me, is enough for any sensible person to start thinking carefully.

All they have to do is provide these three things, and all this ends. It really is that simple. I am a man of my word, and have always been that way. I only want these things. Nothing more. Nothing less. And even if the project fails or succeeds, it won’t matter once these three things have been given to the backers and the gamers who are entitled to them.

I will fight this to the very bitter end and at whatever cost.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Decebal posted:

Are they still pushing release dates further into the future ?

By the time this game comes out, no one will want it because they can just go out and buy a real starship.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I loving love Chris Roberts presents: Star Citizen: Squadron 42.

Every night before I go to sleep I start the hangar module and kiss goodnight to my Constellation Phoenix (the Millenium Falcon of Star Citizen).

At Citizencon we will finally have multicrew and I can take my baby out fo a flight.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
http://www.tentonhammer.com/columns/respawn/star-citizens-2500-ship-dreams

mental retardation . like this is literally the result of gmos or agent orange or something

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

In the departure lounge, Smart finishes his latest blog post and snaps his laptop shut. In one smooth motion he stands and dons his sunglasses. The slightest smirk as he hands over his boarding pass is enough to make the beautiful flight attendant go weak at the knees.

Moments later, a pair of fatties in Star Citizen tshirts burst in, streaming with sweat, only to see the British Airways 747 already pulling away from the gate. One of them swallows hard and scrolls through his phone contacts to SANDRA.

"Ma'am...we lost him...the ticket to Shanghai was a fake...yes, ma'am..no, ma'am...yes, ma'am, we're aware of the consequences of failure...Frankfurt, ma'am...yes, ma'am...we'll alert the German offices..."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i don't need Star Citizen any more, having found Dr Smarts Universal Combat i will never need to play another game in my life

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Clipperton posted:

In the departure lounge, Smart finishes his latest blog post and snaps his laptop shut. In one smooth motion he stands and dons his sunglasses. The slightest smirk as he hands over his boarding pass is enough to make the beautiful flight attendant go weak at the knees.

Moments later, a pair of fatties in Star Citizen tshirts burst in, streaming with sweat, only to see the British Airways 747 already pulling away from the gate. One of them swallows hard and scrolls through his phone contacts to SANDRA.

"Ma'am...we lost him...the ticket to Shanghai was a fake...yes, ma'am..no, ma'am...yes, ma'am, we're aware of the consequences of failure...Frankfurt, ma'am...yes, ma'am...we'll alert the German offices..."

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
can i get a serious answer about the status of star citizen?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nation posted:

serious: 2017 ie never coming out

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Star Citizen is the best thing to happen in the history of anything.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Nation posted:

Funds Raised

Star Citizens

NEXT STRETCHGOAL
[REDACTED]

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Nation posted:

In two weeks at Citizencon Chris Roberts will present the first version of the Persistent Universe and the first part of the Squadron 42 campaign.

Expect both of them to release within 6 months.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I liked Wing Commander. Some of the torpedo missions in WC2 were kind of bullshit though.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
thanks

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
im actually more intrested in doobie

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

kikkelivelho posted:

In two weeks at Citizencon Chris Roberts will present the first version of the Persistent Universe and the first part of the Squadron 42 campaign.

:lol:

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4&t=1m43s

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

roberts lied, game died

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Which will be released first, star citizen or platform masters?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Is this the new doobcitizen thread?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm currently running an interplanetary hot dog business and we'll be making the franchise interstellar soon.

Star Citizen owns!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
They ran out of money and are trying to hide that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I genuinely can't comprehend what they've spent all that money on.

• Locked thread