Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJJYMsgSsk

Official Site:
http://www.transformersgame.com/

What is it?
Transformers: Devastation is a new game coming out in October featuring those wonderful transforming robots, duking it out again on Earth. The mighty Autobots versus the evil Deciptcons, the battle that will wage across time and space. It's a single player, brawler coming to XBOX360, XBONE, PS3, PS4 and PC/Steam.

Why should I care?
Well, there's a few reasons. Firstly, it's the Gen 1 Transformers; the classic 1980's bright colors done in cell shaded graphics. So Megatron is not a lumbering pile of scrap metal like the movies. Also, it features Peter Cullen returning once again to voice Optimus Prime, along with Frank Welker (Megatron and Starscream) and Dan Gilvezan (Bumblebee), so if you dug the Gen 1 cartoon/toy commercial, this has a lot of nostalgia going for it. Plus we get to see Devastator for sure, so chances are pretty good we might get to see some other giant, multi-robot combiners and face them up close and personal (There's at least one Insecticon). Probably a little more intimately than in previous games (War for/Fall of Cybertron)

If that's not enough for you, the game is a brawler being developed by Platinum Games

Who is Platinum Games?
Platinum is the studio behind a lot of really great games, including Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. It also has a lot of the talent from when they created the Viewtiful Joe series, so they kind of know what they are doing in this arena.

Taken straight from the promo materials "Platinum Games' signature fast action allows instant robot to vehicle attacks, slam downs, counterattacks, and infinite combos to create a unique combat system." In some of the videos, you can see the vehicle mode attacks, such as Optimus using his trailer to perform a large sweeping attack (about 1:00 in the above vid) or Bumblebee transforming to ram an opponent (about 1:10). It seems like the combo system will also mix up between melee and ranged attacks.

Who is playable?
Right now, it looks like Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Wheeljack and Grimlock. Possibly there may be other secret characters and always the chance for DLC down the road.

Any Pre-Order Bonuses?
Looks like pre-ordering through Amazon and GameStop give you extra character and weapon skins. I do not see any other pre-order bonuses.

Release date is October 6, so just about two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trojan_male
Oct 20, 2008
I love Gen 1 Transformers, they cant take my cash fast enough!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I have no doubt platinum will do a good job with the mechanics, but it seems weird for the G1 robots to be brawling. Wonder why it isn't just a Vanquish reskin with Optimus Prime.

Oh well, can't wait to ram the gently caress out of some decepticons.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
transformers is dumb but I hope the game is extremely good so I have more sweet PLATINUMGAMES to play.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
This game has next to no hype associated with it. When I was a little kid in the 80s, I used to try to imagine what games of the future would look like. This is exactly what I pictured a future Transformers game to look like. Add Platinum to the mix and I'm totally on board.

I still don't pre-order though so I hope those skins become available later on. That Nemesis Prime is baller.

Cinemassacre did a quick look of the game play last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWkm-3nQxLA . It's hard not to be optimistic about it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This game looks about as good as that Korra game they did (ie not very) but they're selling this one at full price because Transformers, I guess?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This game looks about as good as that Korra game they did (ie not very) but they're selling this one at full price because Transformers, I guess?

Yeah, I am fully down for a no-frills brawler with solid mechanics at a budget price but this just doesn't look like a $50 title to me.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Got the game on PS4. Protip: You can't see what all the poo poo you've picked up or switch characters until you beat Megatron while being Sideswipe. That will unlock the "uplink" (autobot emblem that glows) where you can go back to the Ark and mess around with stuff.

If you're having trouble on the Megatron fight like I did: Don't forget to use your Ultimate when it fills. Also Use Sideswipe's L1 ability after breaking Megatron's shield + R1 attacking him to get a few more hits in. When he recovers and tries to fight back, dodge in time to slow down time and get a couple more hits in then back away and see what he does. If he turns into a tank, get ready to hit R1 but don't do it too soon. if he brings his shield back up, turn into a car and try to drive through one of the accelerators. Rinse and repeat. Don't try to wail on him too much. Get your hits in, then back off and react. Once I did that the fight went much easier.

Fun game. Lots of stuff to unlock it looks like. Gonna try to stretch out the experience and not blow through it all in a day or two.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I knew this was out sometime this month. Didn't realise it was TODAY.

Now to cry into my wallet until payday.

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 6, 2015

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Okay I got through Chapter 6, I think I'm nearing the end. I'll write up an effort post when I'm not sleep-deprived and enjoying a day off, but in short: If you like Platinum games and you like the 80s Transformers you will like this game. I'm Optimus loving Prime fighting Devastator and Menasor and Soundwave and his minions, and it's loving awesome.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The game appears to be remarkably cheap in England - but only physically.

Amazon.co.uk: £17.29
Game.co.uk: 17:99

No clue why - it's £31 on Steam itself. Do these not come with a Steam code or something?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Boy this game is really god drat good.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This game owns bones like any Platinum game, but how the hell do you use the reversal because holding down square, triangle, or L2 after focus pops is not working at all

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm still on Chapter 1. Someone saying it was like 4 hours was worrying, but I spent like 2 just finding hidden paths and sub-missions.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Can someone comment on where it falls on the Platinum Scale? Between rushed-out-kind-of-budget-Korra at one end of the scale and super-smooth-insane-combat-Bayonetta at the other? I'm in a similar boat where I loving love Platinum but this is kind of expensive for a tie-in that arrived with zero hype.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
*makes another mark on a tally for platinum made games that nobody bought*

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Pierson posted:

Can someone comment on where it falls on the Platinum Scale? Between rushed-out-kind-of-budget-Korra at one end of the scale and super-smooth-insane-combat-Bayonetta at the other? I'm in a similar boat where I loving love Platinum but this is kind of expensive for a tie-in that arrived with zero hype.

Super smooth it's basically metal gear rising + vanquish. You have less combos and switching stuff than Bayonetta but enemies are far more aggressive than that so you don't have time more in line with metal gear rising. Shooting is fun and everything integrates with the vehicle modes without going down the war for cybertron route of just making everyone control like tanks.

It's fast and looks great and feels great. Also just played a side scrolling section so it's 100% platinum.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Do we have a rough estimate on how long it takes to get through the story? I know that like other P* games the idea is to play, get good, replay at harder levels and for higher ranks, better rewards, rinse, repeat, but I'd kind of hope for 6-8 hours at an absolute minimum.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CzarChasm posted:

Do we have a rough estimate on how long it takes to get through the story? I know that like other P* games the idea is to play, get good, replay at harder levels and for higher ranks, better rewards, rinse, repeat, but I'd kind of hope for 6-8 hours at an absolute minimum.

I've been reading that it's about 5 from start to finish. I'm sure it's give or take depending on how much wall humping/backtracking you do.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Levantine posted:

I've been reading that it's about 5 from start to finish. I'm sure it's give or take depending on how much wall humping/backtracking you do.

:stare: Just the first chapter took me that long

Granted, each of the bosses took me at least 20 minutes each, if not much longer

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The people going 'five hours' are probably just looking at the time it tells you at the end of the game, which only counts time spent in combat minus retries.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
It took me around 5 hours of actual playtime to reach Chapter 7, but that's with missing a bunch of collectibles and not doing any side missions I came across. 8 hours for a first playthrough seems like a good estimate. Gonna dive in and finish my Optimus Prime playthrough.

Oh yeah, if you want to plat this game you have to beat it with all 5 characters, so that will bump up replays if you're into that kinda thing (I am :getin: )

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Is the loot system intrusive at all? It's the thing I'm most worried about

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone playing on Commander? I'm fighting Devastator and the difficulty (of him) is not very hard, but he's a damage sponge. I beat on him for 10 minutes and only get 10% of the health bar.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feenix posted:

Anyone playing on Commander? I'm fighting Devastator and the difficulty (of him) is not very hard, but he's a damage sponge. I beat on him for 10 minutes and only get 10% of the health bar.

Playing on whatever normal is called so I didn't need to bother, but I noticed that using the platforms he makes with has smash move to jump and attack his head does the most damage, you can also knock him in to a downed state like that, though he came out of it quick enough that you could maybe only get a vehicle smash attack on him like that.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Okay just finished my first playthrough. 7 Chapters + final fight I'd say I hit 8 hours. loving awesome game and the last chapter makes you feel like a badass.

Feenix posted:

I think weapons and upgrades carry over from playthrough to playthrough so you might want to start on Warrior. That way you can build up your stats and upgrade weapons and stuff. It shouldn't be taking that long to take him down.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Static Rook posted:

Okay just finished my first playthrough. 7 Chapters + final fight I'd say I hit 8 hours. loving awesome game and the last chapter makes you feel like a badass.

I think weapons and upgrades carry over from playthrough to playthrough so you might want to start on Warrior. That way you can build up your stats and upgrade weapons and stuff. It shouldn't be taking that long to take him down.

Thats fair. I just didn't want it to be too easy.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I really like the Vanquish bullet time dodges if you aim when you focus dodge. There seems to be a lot of little things that are relatively undocumented like that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Feenix posted:

I'm doing my first playthrough on Commander because why not, and yeah the first few bosses are going to take a lot of wailing. If you can figure out how to knock down Devastator (I still haven't figured it out how to do it reliably), then he takes extra damage to the head.

Also, so everyone else knows, I've figured out how to use reversal: You have to do a dodge that will trigger focus, but hold down the button (square, triangle, L2) before the blue flash that tells you you're in focus. It would be nice if Platinum bothered to write their poo poo accurately.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think my pettiest complaint so far is that all these electric and bolt "machine guns" seem to work more like close range flamethrowers. Because I am poo poo at dealing with flying enemies unless I have a convenient weapon handy for it also machineguns are cool. I finally got a "Normal" machine gun dropped and am enjoying firing 200 bullets into everything from all distances just because I can.

I've been spoiled by other Platinum games (despite being mediocre at them), but this is still fun. I've answered the question of how to improve Optimus Prime, and that answer is firing rocket punch drills. But I do hope for some notable boss finishes at least, fighting Devastator has less of an impact when they just sort of shrug and leave after.

Also holy poo poo you can buy the whole moves list in the shop so drat fast. I'm garbage at directional parries as ever, but the the damage on the "Hold Heavy then mash it" attack for your alt mode shield breaker is just bonkers.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 7, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Holy loving god I love this game

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Solemn Sloth posted:

Holy loving god I love this game

:hfive:

Fake edit: Also, four hours in and I'm part-way through Chapter 2. 5-hour campaign my rear end.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've been playing this for an hour or so. Pretty radical.

Anyone have any idea how the weapon system works? I can see a game like this going either way with upgrades, like "Prime's Axe becomes real good if you feed it enough lovely swords" or "The starting equipment is trash. Ditch it ASAP."

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Weapons have a level cap depending on the grade I think? Or maybe their starting level. I was only able to level up some of the starting gear to 5 but you do find more gear. I found a fire energon axe for optimus but it's not so good. I dont get why optimus' axe is the only melee weapon I've seen with ammo. It's not stronger than a sword or anything.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
For weapons, just synth / sell anything with less stats than what you're using or like. It's good to have a non-energy melee weapon, too so you can always use it. I got a Dark Cyber Sword thing up to level 8 in one playthrough and it worked out pretty well. Also, be careful when synthing because you can end up lowering the stats on a weapon, too. After like Chapter 3 just sell any level 1 weapons that drop, really.

I go with 2 melee and 2 ranged, with 1 of the ranged being a blaster type and the other being a launcher or missile thing

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Seems like you can get a shot in before you do a vehicle follow up if you quickly hit both triggers. Combined with a shotgun most bosses aren't lasting more than 40 seconds

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

You don't even have to hit both triggers. You can just hit right trigger to shoot without aiming.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

How is it so far? I'm still hung up a bit on the price tag.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's really good to hear that the estimates of 4 hours are bunk. I tend to be on the slow side when playing these games anyway so it sounds like it might be a value at full price if you like both Transformers and Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Lant posted:

Seems like you can get a shot in before you do a vehicle follow up if you quickly hit both triggers. Combined with a shotgun most bosses aren't lasting more than 40 seconds

As Optimus I can get a second vehicle attack prompt by shooting the enemy just after the first vehicle attack. Does a nice bit of extra damage. I think they have to be airborn because it doesn't work using the ground slam vehicle move.

Golden Goat posted:

How is it so far? I'm still hung up a bit on the price tag.

If you like P* games and 80s transformers it's great. 7 chapters + final boss. 5 characters to play as, weapons to upgrade, etc. If you're not big on replaying a game over and over to try and get better then wait for it to get cheaper.

• Locked thread