Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Shields will be broken my most vehicle attacks; if there are other enemies around I'll usually start my combo off of them and then as soon as I reach the end I'll switch targets and ram a shield-user.

Or I'll just hit L1 as Bumblebee because his special rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This isn't a game that should cost 60 bucks though, but if it retailed for $40 I'd say that's a very fair price for a VERY fun combat engine.

Well it retailed at 50.

And while the story mode itself is short, going back to higher difficulties and the 50 challenges is a lot of content for me, especially since it's got that usual platinum flair of enemies having new attacks and straight-up interrupting your attacks mid-combo.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tae posted:

Optimus's special ability breaks shields.

Exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Percent-wise. how far in is Soundwave?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Percent-wise. how far in is Soundwave?

In the story quest? You briefly fight him in the second level, but he's the main boss of the third-to-last stage I think?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

In the story quest? You briefly fight him in the second level, but he's the main boss of the third-to-last stage I think?

Sorry, first play through, first meeting of him.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
So beat it as prime, grimlock and wheeljack. What's the deal with bumblebee's slide dodge thing?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It makes Bumblebee almost untouchable is what.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Welp just started my second run on Commander and I already got some A drops. This game is going to destroy my life.

EDIT: Goodness Grimlock is hard to get used to for the Megatron road battle. His lack of snipers also hurts.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 16, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Huh, so that was the end? I thought I was going to have to fight Nova Prime since they kept mentioning how he'd become corrupted by a mysterious evil force.

Oh well, I got an S rank on the final fight and I loving ROCKED that poo poo. I loving love this game and am sad to return it to the rental box tomorrow, but I at least beat it and I'll buy it as soon as it goes on sale. It's such a loving blast to play, this is easily one of the funnest battle systems Platinum has made, and surprisingly accessible. I like that I can do tricks and poo poo to boost my combo, so even if I get hit, I can still get SS rankings by doing sweet moves and being an awesome robot.

EDIT: I used Sidewinder for most of it, he's definitely my speed. Bumblebee was tiny and useless but I assume he has a trick that makes him good.

EDIT: Also, I think that Peter Cullen's voice acting is probably the only reason anyone still gives a poo poo about Transformers, because he really does make Optimus just sound like the wisest, nicest, bestest grandpa ever.

EDIT EDIT: I want to play as Starscream.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 16, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Artum posted:

So beat it as prime, grimlock and wheeljack. What's the deal with bumblebee's slide dodge thing?

Short-range, goes through(Over or under depending on whether you're ground or air) enemies, counts as a dodge, counts as a hit for combo extending.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
My Grimlock playthrough has encountered a snag, that being Grimlocks inability to carry a gun with some distance on it, making side missions a challenge and making treasure hard to collect. as a Collection maniac, It's ridiculous trying to get it all as Grimlock.

On the other hand, I lucked out and got an uncommon A-Rank drop for the Star Saber with 5 slots free.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

S-Rank Shockwave Blaster! ... oh it only has 4 slots.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What are you filling your slots with, may I ask?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bloodly posted:

What are you filling your slots with, may I ask?

Sure, my Star Saber (Level 30) has Atk+ Lv.5, Focus + Lv.5, RareDrop+ Lv.5, Crit+Lv.4 and FocTime+ Lv.4
My Shockwave Blaster has Atk+ Lv.4, Accuracy+ Lv.4, FireRate+Lv.4 and Atk+ Lv.3
My Twin Heat Swords have SynXP Lv.5 and Lv3, RareDrop Lv.4 and Lv.3 And Weapon Drop Lv.5. I have no idea if this makes them an effective farming weapon since.... well... random chance.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Saur approves so far.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The bridge in chapter 4. It's not beating it, it's doing it for the SS Rank that's grinding me, Well... Less so now that I've decided to stop using Grimlock for it. But seriously the jets flying everywhere drive me nuts, I came so close to no damaging (and probably getting a 0 for time) and one Seeker off screen

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Onmi posted:

The bridge in chapter 4. It's not beating it, it's doing it for the SS Rank that's grinding me, Well... Less so now that I've decided to stop using Grimlock for it. But seriously the jets flying everywhere drive me nuts, I came so close to no damaging (and probably getting a 0 for time) and one Seeker off screen

Use Sideswiper for everything. He's fast, hits hard, he's fast, he can chain vehicle attacks together, he's fast, and he's great. He's really great, I think he's my favorite. Plus he says the word "retort" a lot and that pleases me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Use Sideswiper for everything. He's fast, hits hard, he's fast, he can chain vehicle attacks together, he's fast, and he's great. He's really great, I think he's my favorite. Plus he says the word "retort" a lot and that pleases me.

You're only pitching that my next character be Sideswipe, but I must finish this Grimlock playthrough (With special guest star Optimus "gently caress your poo poo up" Prime)

I think I just found Grimlocks new hammer (If I ever didn't just use the Star Sword which is Level 30 because money to upgrade weapons is ridiculous now)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aside from "Well, I wanna use Optimus (and giant hammers)", the main reason I didn't use Sideswipe was because his Ultimate isn't as good at lazily murdering everything in a mile radius even if it's in the air. No, gotta stop and take time to aim missiles come on just takes some tips from bumblebee.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I never use the ultimates (even though it's not like I'm getting SS ranks normally fighting) because I keep thinking "Less chance for SS Ranks"

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

It sort of feels like on the higher difficulties the ultimates aren't even really worth using. They're not a lot of damage for that long-rear end animation.

On the other hand, headshots are completely crazy for getting SS-ranks, especially if you have a medium-fast gun like heavy blasters or an assault rifle. They give a stupid amount of points for something you do four-five times in a dodge.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Does anyone know if rate of fire stacks?I tried to put two level 5's on a sniper rifle and it emptied the bar. So... no?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

aerial units are easy once you figure out a heavy range attack knocks them to the air. The auto-aim is incredibly generous, it's better to left trigger, right trigger between every shot for the best accuracy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

aerial units are easy once you figure out a heavy range attack knocks them to the air. The auto-aim is incredibly generous, it's better to left trigger, right trigger between every shot for the best accuracy.

Oh yeah, they're just bloody awful without a sniper rifle. Also I'm poo poo at aiming so for Prime and others my general firearms focus is "Hit L2, Hit R2, SPAM DODGE"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I currently have a machine gun that does close to 1000 damage per hit, so I can't imagine how much S rank snipers do.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

I currently have a machine gun that does close to 1000 damage per hit, so I can't imagine how much S rank snipers do.

I was just going into the Ark to check Optimus's and got this

I think I just found my new hammer.

EDIT: That would be this bot

and the Bolt Sniper Rifle I'm using is 1,487 total power at level 20, A-Rank. I'm looking to upgrade it the next sniper I get.

EDIT 2:

Look upon my works ye mighty. And Despair. In comparison

EDIT 3:

Blitzwing is certainly very Blitzy, he gets attacks out very quickly. And he doesn't seem to be stunlocked like Starscream was. I seriously chunked Starscreams health between the Hammer of Solus and Dinobot rolling at him. Also sometimes Focus ends far quicker than usual, anyone figured out why yet?

EDIT 4: The adhesive gel gun works on bosses, Now I'm curious about the other Status Guns. My No-Hit Blitzwing Run is still in hell. Strategy right now (Grimlock Only) is "Open match by shooting 14 times with the Shockwave S Rank gun. Hopefully get some headshots. Now Focus Dodge every hit, hammer him, also liberal application of the adhesive gel." Which also seems to knock him out of transformation.

I can get almost no vehicle hits in, since 1. Blitzwing had ridiculous Super Armor and 2. There's too many enemies around, I eat too much damage.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 17, 2015

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Having so much fun with this. I still suck at P* games, buy the kicks it gives for the fun combat and "Oh yes, I get to fight X now!". Ah yes. Might be one of the few games I play through several times to explore everything and all the different play styles.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I am stuck in my own personal hell using a character who's controls I hate (Grimlock) vs a Boss who is super loving fast with Super Armor (Blitzwing) and mooks. I'm trying to SS rank, and in my mind the only proper way to do it is No-Hits. I cannot manage this task. I'm afraid when I do, I'll get an A or S rank instead.

EDIT: My problem with Grimlock in detail is frankly the dino mode. I'm sure it's a lovely mode great for killing all on its own, but the fact is when I'm in the heat of a boss battle, my fingers have enough trouble with the inputs. I do not need to be doing something for one form (such as tapping circle to sprint) only to be in the other form because I hit the transform button for too long and Grimlock cannot cancel out of a transformation like the others can. As well, his Dodge becomes small as hell, his reach becomes abysmal, his combos are that poor place of far weaker than the hammer, faster than it, but not fast enough to complete a Vehicle attack combo. Which makes it so that stuck normal attacking as Grimlock is loving infuriating.

Oh and this is just me but he's inconsistent as all hell. When I do the belly flop (Dash Triangle) Sometimes I get the vehicle attack prompt, and can get back into good old robot mode where everything is familiar with the entire rest of the game. Other times I don't, Sometimes I get the prompt but stay in Dino mode after the attack.

I keep getting hit where I wouldn't be getting hit with the other characters. No other character eats an attack because I'm trying to swap forms. No other character is so locked into his form switches that I'll start dodge rolling like a moron trying to get out of it. No other character suddenly has far shorter range than they did a second ago, or is faster in attacking, or has had the timing for dodge cancelling change. Speaking of that, no other character can be 90% of the way through an attack only to dodge out of it, into a surrounding pit of enemies.

I realize the problem is with me. And I could win this fight if I wasn't trying to go for No Hits. But we all journey to hell in our own ways, and this is mine.

EDIT 2: On the other hand? the Starscream fight before this? Grimlock took no damage by stunlocking his rear end in with hammer and vehicle attacks. Only got an A-Rank though.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 17, 2015

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I started playing as Optimus but he's so good he's kinda like cheat mode. But yeah Sideswipe is awesome - so fast and so much fun. And his ultimate is badass. What does his special do?

Holy poo poo Starscreams intro was cool. The music is hilarious.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 17, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Disco De Soto posted:

I started playing as Optimus but he's so good he's kinda like cheat mode. But yeah Sideswipe is awesome - so fast and so much fun. And his ultimate is badass. What does his special do?

Holy poo poo Starscreams intro was cool. The music is hilarious.

Starscream is legit the coolest boss battle in the game, the second time you fight him.

The music in this game is quite excellent. There's a big boss near the end that has a very epic choir accompanying him, which lent the fight an air of gravitas I think not generally associated with the car robot cartoon smashing.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Tae posted:

That's when it dropped, it has like 4000+ around level 40

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Welp that's Hard done, now onto Magnus difficulty. Either Sideswipe, Wheeljack or Bumblebee time.

Sherlock Hopkins
Sep 28, 2005
From now on I shoot my dinner salad before I eat it!
I can't wait until i get my hands on this game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh my

So the Assault Rifle, is a sniper rifle with full auto.

I got this just after Mission 4. This is never leaving my Autobots.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Onmi posted:

Welp that's Hard done, now onto Magnus difficulty. Either Sideswipe, Wheeljack or Bumblebee time.

The cool thing about playing the smaller guys is that the Decepticons look so much bigger. I didn't realize Blitzwing was so buff - I still have his original toy and it's not so big. I love his move where he grabs you by the throat and drags you along beside him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Disco De Soto posted:

The cool thing about playing the smaller guys is that the Decepticons look so much bigger. I didn't realize Blitzwing was so buff - I still have his original toy and it's not so big. I love his move where he grabs you by the throat and drags you along beside him.

I also love that move. And by love I mean despise. Because he would always snatch my out of a combo or Grimlocks bellyflop.

He's also fast as gently caress. I do not look forward to fighting him on Magnus.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Onmi posted:

I also love that move. And by love I mean despise. Because he would always snatch my out of a combo or Grimlocks bellyflop.

He's also fast as gently caress. I do not look forward to fighting him on Magnus.

The challenge fight with him and Starscream is crazy. They are tough enough on their own - together you need eyes in the back of your head. They are both good at dodging or breaking combos.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is this game dynasty warriors transformers? It looked that way a little in a quick look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is this game dynasty warriors transformers? It looked that way a little in a quick look

Not remotely.

• Locked thread