Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

THE MACHO MAN posted:

He's not been charged with anything. They'd fight, rightfully, 100%.

It's scary how quickly everyone is in a hurry to railroad someone before we even get to trial when it comes to cases like this. Allowing the legal process to play out on a very unclear trial is the correct thing to do, something anyone else here would want in a similar situation in their professional life. Justice is not any less served if he's found guilty and immediately banned, suspended, jailed, etc.

Cases like this or the Rice and Petersion issues make everyone all retarded. Suspending Kane now after today's incident would be every bit as ridiculous as throwing Ray Rice in double jeportdy

He should have been suspended from the start as a precaution. I don't think it's unreasonable to suspend him with pay until the investigation/trial is completed just as precautionary measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Why is that preferable to waiting and acting accordingly once the trial is concluded, which is generally what is done for most things that aren't dui/minor drug stuff or something where the player is jailed?

Because it's rape we're talking about? Do you think it's wrong when a Police Officer shoots someone that they get suspended with pay while an investigation into what they did occurs?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

You don't go to the grand jury with "virtually no" evidence.

And how many times does it need to be repeated that the vast majority of rape cases are not fabricated?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Duro posted:

How about we leave it in the capable hands of the legal system and wait for an actual decision to be made by a court of law before stating that Kane is guilty of anything. Then, once that's done, go hog wild.

Again, for the millionth time, most rape cases are not fabricated. There is a high degree of likelihood that Kane is guilty. What the justice system will decide is anyone's guess, but the NHL isn't bound by innocent until proven guilty and given the statistics on rape cases as well as the damage to their image - and the moral quandary of letting a potential rapist continue to represent the brand - there is no reason the NHL shouldn't have suspended him with pay while this gets resolved.

As Jordan so saliently pointed out, sitting at home with pay is not a punishment to Kane, and is a completely reasonable course of action for the NHL to take.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So everyone that wants to give Kane the benefit of the doubt is aware he's a guy that beat up a cab driver over a nickel, right? This is the guy you're asking us to give the benefit of the doubt to.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A) No? You're doing it in your answer under B).

B) Statistically, fabrications in rape cases are rare. Therefore, I am presuming Kane is likely guilty. He absolutely deserves a fair trial and presumption of innocence by the actual court of law. He does not deserve my presumption of innocence - I can form an opinion if I want, and based on the stats I'm likely right about his guilt.

C) Fair point. I would argue they're just as likely to lose money due to the cloud surrounding Kane and the Hawks while the trial etc goes on. The bad optics from this could cost sponsors, cause bad publicity, etc. So it's lose/lose in my opinion, and given that, they might as well take the moral high ground at least and keep the bad optics away from the sport.

D) I'm not arguing Kane be punished. Being at home being paid millions of dollars is not a punishment.

E) And if it goes to trial and he loses, the NHL loses in a big way too because people will rip them for how they handled it.

Perdido posted:

There's a difference between "benefit of the doubt" and being in favor of due process.

I'm absolutely in favor of him having a fair trial and presumption of innocence by the court and NHL. The fact that the NHL would continue to pay him while he's under investigation but suspended seems to fall pretty well in line with giving him the benefit of the doubt but also protecting the integrity of the league.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 24, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Duro posted:

So what? That has nothing to do with this trial. You can't use character evidence in criminal proceedings. If the victim's lawyer brings that up he'll be slapped with an objection so fast, his head will spin

I'm not implying it does? I'm saying as a person that is not involved with the trial I can absolutely use stats and past actions to form an opinion of Kane's likely guilt or lacktherof. He will (rightly) be afforded a higher standard of guilt by the court.

That doesn't mean I have to - or should - give a millionaire prick athlete the benefit of the doubt here. Given his wealth and access to good lawyers the vitriol he faces from the public might be the only shame he ever feels.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not going to say I wouldn't have a more difficult time looking my next door neighbor in the eye if they were accused. But given that Patrick Kane is not a risk to me or my personal safety; it's okay to say from a distance that you trust police to do their jobs on this matter. If you don't, you have a lot bigger issues than this thread is really built to discuss.

This is a lazy argument that is getting repeated by a lot of people and it has nothing to do with anything so maybe we should stop making it. I'm sure Hand Knit will be more than happy to probate anybody that is taking this so seriously that they can't reasonably discuss it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It really is like a Law and Order episode at this point.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Am I still allowed to despise Kane for being a rapist and the Blackhawks for harboring him or do I need to obey the court ruling

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aurora posted:

What court ruling?

The inevitable one that will go in his favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

It likely won't even get to that point. Charges still haven't been formally filed.

Don't get technical with me in the lawyer thread mister

• Locked thread