Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Djarum posted:

I find it most telling that all of Kane's sponsors with the exception of EA are still on board. If people who have a lot of money to lose being associated with Kane are sticking around you have to think that his innocence is pretty darn convincing despite what a lot of people think. As people say, always follow the rats.

I'm pretty sure Gatorade and Nike or whatever the gently caress don't have any more information than you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And people in it for the money usually don't turn down a settlement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So if a grand jury is a formality, we can consider Kane effectively going to trial already.

Sounds like time to suspend him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Almost half of your probations came from Marty. That's a different person.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

Jesus, derailing the derail thread.

I just want to point out that the big disconnect between the two nebulous sides in this thread seems to be deeply rooted in differences of opinion about the effectiveness and ability of the U.S. justice system to mete out unbiased justice. Just an observation, but I would like to point out that trials of this type and the popularity of one of parties historically has lead to crazy distortions of justice.

Uh, not really. I think everyone expects nothing's going to happen to him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

And here's another person who believes that the justice system can handle a case like this properly. I'm not saying that duro is wrong or that it is destined to fail, I just want to point out that I'm not just making poo poo up. The part of the dichotomy is trust in the courts to function properly.

Edit:Understanding presuppositions like this is good for civil discourse is the point I'm trying to make

Duro is the system.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

Kane's lawyer has said that there never even were settlement talks

Yeah so maybe she didn't turn down any settlement offer.

What I meant is she's apparently not seeking one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Enderzero posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

Off the top of my head, racial sentencing disparities, school to prison pipelines, excessive drug possession prosecution, DA's who prosecute cases because it looks good for their political careers, rich people avoiding charges and prosecution strictly because of their wealth. And that's just off the top of my head. My god, do you really not see the systemic problems with our legal system? And you're a lawyer, no less? That is worrying.

He's Canadian.

I mean I don't have the stats for Canada or anything but it's probably a little better here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

toxicsunset posted:

My dude said "askance" drat

Kane probably just anced.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

That's a fair comment. We're allowed to feel revulsion but the histrionics for their own sake are pretty silly.

Who is doing that, besides that row of scarecrows that seems to have been setup in the corner?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Both of us were simply answering the question "If the FBI comes in, who do they investigate?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The bite mark with his DNA is a little harder to get from casual contact though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

But pretty common in consensual sex. That's not an indictment by any means.

Right, I just mean that it makes it pretty clear they didn't just hang out at his house.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not sure where my line is exactly, but if 3999 out of every 4000 violent crimes (or whatever the inverse of the rape statistic is) were committed by Flyers fans, I think I would have a hard time believing someone who said they were assaulted by a Caps fan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not her lawyer anymore.

Edit:

quote:

Hannah Buehler ‏@HannahBuehler 1m1 minute ago

Eouannou: I can no longer effectively represent this client. @WKBW

quote:

Hannah Buehler ‏@HannahBuehler 14s14 seconds ago

Eouannou: I no longer have confidence in the mannor and means about which this bag was discovered.

quote:

Hannah Buehler ‏@HannahBuehler 1m1 minute ago

Eouannou: I don't know how the bag got on the porch. I don't have confidence in the version provided to me. @WKBW

quote:

Hannah Buehler ‏@HannahBuehler 25s25 seconds ago

Eouannou: there were fabrications made. @WKBW I don't know what's true and what's not true.

He's the one who said he verified authenticity though, so that was bullshit I guess?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 25, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whatis posted:

he reiterated that the bag was authentic, but he doesn't believe the story told to him wrt how the mother obtained it

Oh, I missed that part.

Well that makes things weirder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Perdido posted:

Like, all this poo poo with the evidence bag is why we have trials and don't just jump to conclusions because someone is a doody head and your feels are hurt.

This is jumping to conclusions too, though.

Edit: ugh, the drat server. I erased the original post here accidentally.

The accuser doesn't need a lawyer for the criminal case to proceed.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 25, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

https://twitter.com/JulieDiCaro

Meanwhile she's still breaking news on twitter.

Yeah she actually just posted a few big things in the last few minutes.

quote:

Julie DiCaro ‏@JulieDiCaro 3m3 minutes ago

"Friend" reluctant to testify in Kane investigation has always been reluctant to testify. She's 19 & wasn't supposed to be in bar - Source

quote:

Julie DiCaro ‏@JulieDiCaro 1m1 minute ago

Semen, as a protein, attaches to fibers and is difficult to remove by washing, per source.

Julie DiCaro ‏@JulieDiCaro 1m1 minute ago

Source also says crime lab stated DNA in accuser's underwear "could have been 5 years old."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TubeStank posted:

DNA in accusers underwear could have been 5 years old.

Wash your underwear once in a while.

Apparently washing isn't good enough, so think of that every time you get dressed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So uh, what actually happened?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Duro posted:

Ok, but who brought the bag to the mother's house? Or did the mom invent the story of "finding the bag"? Did they do this with the intent of making it seem like the victim was being intimidated?

The mother originally said she thought it was dropped off by a good Samaritan, so that couldn't have been the intent.

The rumors about the DNA evidence had leaked before that, I suppose her plan could have been that revealing a damaged evidence bag could cast doubt on those? I mean we're never going to get an answer there, she's never going to admit what happened.

...And then it turns out they did the rape kit improperly anyway

This case is messed up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stabler would have Kane's girlfriend outside the courtroom door to slap him in the face as soon as he walked out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

:smith: If this is a fabrication I can't wait for this to go right alongside the Duke Lacross case as the goto for slut-shaming and assuming the accuser is lying.

When I was Googling the Kane cab driver incident (I had never heard the thing about being unlicensed Paulo mentioned) I found this:
http://blackhawkup.com/2009/08/11/report-kanes-cabbie-a-drunken-bafoon/

It's just a fansite and not legitimate news, but god drat.

AsInHowe posted:

WGN's female morning host is proclaiming Kane's innocent, since the woman is a slut who was asking for it with her sexy top. Kane is the victim. Just like exonerated victim Ben Roethlisberger.

WGn also used Nazi symbols in their Yom Kippur report earlier this week.

Maybe it's time for that network to take a break.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 25, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If this was football, basketball or baseball it actually probably would end up being an SVU episode next season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would assume that since it does not ultimately affect Kane in any way and that the trial would be The People vs. Kane and not The Accuser vs. Kane, it wouldn't be admissible. But my legal knowledge literally comes from TV shows and Phoenix Wright.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Djarum posted:

Now this is different than evidence that impacts the credibility of a witness as this is Giglio. I love that we are all learning about the law together!

I also think it's wrong to agree not to prosecute the makers of Gigli.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Perdido posted:

You're seriously moaning about hockey board moderation on another board that is dealing with a completely different topic?

You're insufferable, dude.

This response seems incredibly aggressive for him just posting a little anecdote.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Both sides confirmed the DNA results were accurate, but there was that mention the kit may not have been done completely.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess we know why the other lawyer was the PR guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He still took a drunk girl home to cheat on his girlfriend. That's probably not suspension worthy but it's gross.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The PA would not challenge a paid suspension.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He still cheated on his girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unlikely. That's only his second post in the thread and the first was a personal anecdote about the people he works with.

• Locked thread