Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wednesdays on ABC...

THE MIDDLE - 8/7c
Season 7

quote:

Forget about athletes, movie stars and politicians. Parents are the real heroes—but we think Frankie Heck (Patricia Heaton), must be some kind of superhero. A loving wife and mother of three, she's middle class in the middle of the country and is rapidly approaching middle age.

Frankie and her husband, Mike (Neil Flynn), have lived in Orson, Indiana, their whole lives. A man of few words (every one a zinger), Mike is a manager at the town quarry and Frankie is the third-best used car salesman (out of the three) at the local dealership. She may not be a high-powered career woman, but when it comes to her family, she'll go to just about any length. And with kids like these, she had better. There's Axl (Charlie McDermott), her semi-nudist teenage son conceived while under the influence of Guns N' Roses; Sue (Eden Sher), the awkward teenage daughter who fails at everything... but with the utmost of gusto; and their seven-year-old son Brick(Atticus Shaffer), whose best friend is his backpack.

Sometimes it seems like everyone is trying to get to the top, or struggling not to hit bottom, but we think Frankie and her family will find a lot of love, and a lot of laughs, somewhere in The Middle.

THE GOLDBERGS - 8:30/7:30c
Season 3

quote:

Before there were parenting blogs, trophies for showing up and peanut allergies, there was a simpler time called the ‘80s. For geeky and movie obsessed youngest child Adam (Sean Giambrone), these were his wonder years, and he faced them armed with a video camera to capture all the crazy. The Goldbergs are a loving family like any other -- just with a lot more yelling. Mom Beverly (Wendi McClendon-Covey) is a classic "smother," an overbearing, overprotective matriarch who loves her delicious kids, but still rules this brood with 100% authority and zero sense of boundaries. Dad Murray (Jeff Garlin) is gruff and sometimes oblivious, parenting with half his attention span but all his heart. Sister Erica (Hayley Orrantia) is popular and terrifying, doing her best to cover up that she's the smartest of the clan. Barry (Troy Gentile) is a passionate dreamer, who maybe dreams a little too big and who always gets the short end of the stick. Adam (Sean Giambrone) is the youngest, a camera-wielding future director who’s navigating first love, and growing up with his family. Rounding out the family is beloved grandfather Al "Pops" Solomon (George Segal), the wild man of the clan, a shameless Don Juan who’s learning as much from his family as he teaches them.

The Goldbergs stars Wendi McLendon-Covey (Bridesmaids) as Beverly Goldberg, Patton Oswalt (Ratatouille) as adult Adam Goldberg, Sean Giambrone as Adam Goldberg, Troy Gentile (Good Luck Chuck) as Barry Goldberg, Hayley Orrantia (The X Factor) as Erica Goldberg, with George Segal (Just Shoot Me) as Pops Solomon and Jeff Garlin (Curb Your Enthusiasm) as Murray Goldberg.

MODERN FAMILY - 9/8c
Season 7

quote:

Critically lauded for revitalizing the television sitcom, "Modern Family" is also quickly cementing itself as a culturally defining series. The recipient of four consecutive Emmy Awards for Outstanding Comedy Series and a Golden Globe Award for Best Comedy Television Series.

The Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clan is a wonderfully large and blended family with Jay Pritchett sitting at the head. By his side is his young, vivacious second wife Gloria, who resists his old-fashioned ways -- an impulse that will become all the more interesting now that he and Gloria have a new baby of their own. This exciting addition will bring more adventures to the family just as Gloria's son, Manny, is about to embark on an adventure of his own as he enters high school. Jay's grown daughter, Claire, and her husband, Phil, also have their son, Luke, heading to high school; their middle daughter, Alex, is full steam ahead on the college track, and the eldest, Haley, is back home figuring out her future. With the kids all growing up, this new chapter means Claire can explore returning to the workforce, which will have its fair share of missteps and victories. And this will be a big year for Claire's brother and Jay's grown son, Mitchell, who alongside his loving partner, Cameron, and daughter Lily, will have a lot of reasons to celebrate. Together these three families give us an honest and often hilarious look into the sometimes warm, sometimes twisted, embrace of the modern family.

"Modern Family" stars Ed O'Neill as Jay, Julie Bowen as Claire, Ty Burrell as Phil, Sofía Vergara as Gloria, Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell, Eric Stonestreet as Cameron, Sarah Hyland as Haley, Nolan Gould as Luke, Ariel Winter as Alex, Rico Rodriguez as Manny and Aubrey Anderson-Emmons as Lily.

BLACK-ISH - 9:30/8:30c
Season 2

quote:

Andre 'Dre' Johnson (Anthony Anderson) has a great job, a beautiful wife, Rainbow (Tracee Ellis Ross), four kids and a colonial home in the 'burbs. But has success brought too much assimilation for this black family? With a little help from his dad (Laurence Fishburne), Dre sets out to establish a sense of cultural identity for his family that honors their past while embracing the future.

black-ish stars Anthony Anderson as Dre, Tracee Ellis Ross as Rainbow, Yara Shahidi as Zoey, Marcus Scribner as Andre Jr., Miles Brown as Jack, Marsai Martin as Diane and Laurence Fishburne as Pops.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Do not be fooled by my sweater... I am not "flappy"

Big Tasty & Lil Yum Yum

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 24, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Is Uncle Buck a spin-off of Black'ish, or just a show with an identical theme and premise airing on the same network?

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
"That's the saddest quilt since the AIDS blanket." Yowsa.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The black-ish premiere is on fire so far.

"It was arguably Denzel's best work!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Goldbergs started on fire, but they weren't kidding about Adam's voice breaking. That's gonna take some getting used to.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Modern Family is kind of background viewing for me anymore (though I got kind of sad when I thought they were writing off Adam Devine) but I'm really glad blackish looks like it's going to continue to be good. Cried laughing at Laurence Fishburne screaming about Jr. smelling like "wide-open rear end".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Black-ish premiere was firing on all cylinders. Hardest I've laughed in a long time.

"What's the other kind?"
"Rosie Perez."

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I loving love Modern Family. Glad it's back.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Black-ish is really great.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Paradox Personified posted:

I loving love Modern Family. Glad it's back.

It was a really solid episode. The fat-Andy makeup was terrible but Adam Devine is fantastic so I don't even care.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I was kind of sad it looked like they were writing off Andy like they do so many other Haley plots (remember when she went to college for like 2 episodes?) but it's awesome if he's going to keep being around. I hope they didn't forget about the legal weed millionaires next door though!

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
I am so so happy the Goldbergs are back! I giggled with joy when I saw it on my DVR.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Black-ish premiere was firing on all cylinders. Hardest I've laughed in a long time.

"What's the other kind?"
"Rosie Perez."

"He's such a disappointment" killed me.

As did "Talk to you later, slut!" Rainbow is consistently the best.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Wow, could that little Goldberg kid's voice change sound any worse?

Also, :lol: at their VCR pausing like a DVD player. I've seen youtube videos with better fake VCR effects.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

Also, :lol: at their VCR pausing like a DVD player. I've seen youtube videos with better fake VCR effects.

As a filthy Euro, in the 90s (and could've in the 80s if we had the right gear) I had a VCR hooked up to the TV via SCART - the best and worst connector there was for a multitude of reasons. But one of the plus points was that I could get a wicked pause on the VHS with it. Adam Goldberg SCART represent.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Sweet Roger Rabbit shirt.

Edit: Balls

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Blender nunchuks!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Pretty good night

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That weird kid with the Muppet voice.
My brother?
Yeah, Muppet boy.

It was Dad, not me.

Edit: Stop, No! Don't give up on robots! You could be a billionaire in 10 years!

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 8, 2015

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
I was bored over the summer and decided to binge Black-ish and I was really surprised by how funny it is. It tends to veer into NBC "very special episode" territory sometimes; but overall its really good.

Last year's Goldbergs started out with some musical episdoes as well and I didn't like them as much. I'm hoping tonight will return to the funny, despite the little kid going from 10 to 15 over a summer.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
It was cool to see Andy Daly show up on blackish. Wish he would've had more than a couple lines, though.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Loved it when they blurred Johnny 5 swearing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Jimmy 5.

Also I only just found out about (the real) Adam Goldberg's credentials. Among other things (writing for How to Train Your Dragon) he was a producer on Community.

Now looking forward to a Rick and Morty crossover episode.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"Bribed an ambassador to get them off separate but equally gruesome murder charges..."

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Poor Phil (and Claire for that matter) but the ducks are cute.

And The Goldbergs present: awkward testicle talk with your mom.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Goldbergs and Fresh off the Boat used the same song this week, heh (Alive and Kicking - Simple Minds)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"God is everywhere! Except WNBA games. Nobody watches those."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Culturally.

EDIT: "There's no take-backs at black church."

"That does sound like a real, established rule."

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 22, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Goldbergs was great last night. I like how we know Barry's relationship is never really in jeopardy (and secured even better now) because that pairing is so good. Also kudos to the show runners for not including Adam until the stinger, a lot of shows (*cough* Modern Family *cough*) feel like every character has to be involved in every plot, and he would've just gotten in the way. He has a ton of A-plots, so not having him around for a week gave the other characters some space to breathe and it worked great.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Adam's girlfriend from last season (I guess they're still technically together) is now on Gotham.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Adam's girlfriend from last season (I guess they're still technically together) is now on Gotham.

And she's back.

Pretty sweet robot costume.

"You were a terrible brother.... but I love you"

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 29, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Help your mother! You have 30 seconds to comply!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Amazing episode. Whoever did the costume work needs a raise, and I'm glad they weren't just throwaway gags.

It's not just me, this has been the best season so far yeah? (Goldbergs, just in case there was confusion).

E: also love that Beverly dropping the f-bomb in front of kids constantly has been a running gag for a while now n

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

EL BROMANCE posted:

E: also love that Beverly dropping the f-bomb in front of kids constantly has been a running gag for a while now

This is something I have been noticing a lot in ABC comedies in the last 3 years or so. They arent afraid to have their characters swear. Sure the mouths are blurred and its beeped but thats going a lot further than it ever used to. Can only hope we're entering an age where its ok to swear on tv, as long as you dont use one of the heavy hitters I guess.

Episode itself was ok. The costumes were great and all but since it was mainly an Adam centric episode it wasnt nearly as good. Last weeks was a whole lot better as it was a Berry centric and we all know Berry is the greatest and has the most testosterone.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 30, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope in 2030 we get the Friends reunion episode 'The one where Ross call Rachael a oval office'.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Barry with puppies :3:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
We need an episode that revolves around The Wonder Years for some deep meta nonsense

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Charlie and Diane's mutual dislike of each other is the best running gag on Blackish.

Then again Charlie is just awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's Thanksgiving episodes tonight!

quote:

The Middle
Episode: Thanksgiving VII
NEW
S07, E08

Frankie is forced to take a job at Heritage Village, which requires her to work on Thanksgiving; Sue hopes to run into Logan during her holiday break; Axl becomes emotional about how his life has turned out.

quote:

The Goldbergs
Episode: In Conclusion, Thanksgiving
NEW
S03, E08

Beverly wants the entire family to get together for Thanksgiving; Pops asks Erica and Barry to take over the holiday toast.

quote:

Modern Family
Episode: Phil's Sexy, Sexy House
NEW
S07, E07

A conversation about a house Phil is helping to sell gives everyone the idea to sneak in to enjoy it themselves; Jay and Gloria's plan to pay for a surprise family trip to Miami turns into a surprise for Gloria and then a bigger surprise for Jay.

quote:

blackish
Episode: Chop Shop
NEW
S02, E08

Before the family Christmas card shoot, Dre takes Junior and Jack to get a haircut from his lifelong barber, T., but Junior chooses another barber.

• Locked thread