Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Goldbergs started on fire, but they weren't kidding about Adam's voice breaking. That's gonna take some getting used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

Also, :lol: at their VCR pausing like a DVD player. I've seen youtube videos with better fake VCR effects.

As a filthy Euro, in the 90s (and could've in the 80s if we had the right gear) I had a VCR hooked up to the TV via SCART - the best and worst connector there was for a multitude of reasons. But one of the plus points was that I could get a wicked pause on the VHS with it. Adam Goldberg SCART represent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Goldbergs was great last night. I like how we know Barry's relationship is never really in jeopardy (and secured even better now) because that pairing is so good. Also kudos to the show runners for not including Adam until the stinger, a lot of shows (*cough* Modern Family *cough*) feel like every character has to be involved in every plot, and he would've just gotten in the way. He has a ton of A-plots, so not having him around for a week gave the other characters some space to breathe and it worked great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Amazing episode. Whoever did the costume work needs a raise, and I'm glad they weren't just throwaway gags.

It's not just me, this has been the best season so far yeah? (Goldbergs, just in case there was confusion).

E: also love that Beverly dropping the f-bomb in front of kids constantly has been a running gag for a while now n

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope in 2030 we get the Friends reunion episode 'The one where Ross call Rachael a oval office'.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just started watching Goldbergs, and if the closing scene isn't the real life Adam Goldberg remaking a Beastie Boys video I'm going to be super disappointed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WescottF1 posted:

They do that every episode. Usually it's a video, but sometimes a photo, that shows whatever it was in Adam's adolescence that inspired it.

Yeah I've seen every episode, it's the anticipation of seeing the real life video that makes the show so good. The inevitable beastie boys video at the end made up for its lack of quantity with quality. It's a shame he didn't do a full mv like he's done before, but hey.

E: can see where the confusion set in, by 'just started watching Goldbergs' I meant the episode, not the show. Loved it since day one (back in nineteen eighty something).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I will never tire of offhand references to Barry's rivalry with a/multiple horses.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zero One posted:

I'M NOT A HAMSTER, I'M A HUMAN MAN!

:argh: Handsome Ben

:lol: Great reveal at the end with the real Handsome Ben (and Regular Amy)

And what we all wanted to see: Barry running the Double Dare course.

Yeah that was a great moment. Goldbergs final 2 minutes are generally better than most shows entire episodes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was it as good as the Camichael Show that covered BLM last year? I'm really looking forward to that coming back.

Goldbergs won show bingo yesterday, mainly for hitting a Barry/Horse reference, and Beverley dropping an f-bomb.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, every week I'm impressed just how much effort they put into those bits.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really hope that Barry just appearing at a table with a plate of tater tots becomes a new thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zero One posted:

Something I just learned (from this Goldbergs special):

There is no real Erica Goldberg.

There is an ERIC Goldberg who is the oldest brother.

Apparently he didn't take the casting wonderfully originally. Think he got over it though. Does kind of suck that they can't use his real footage though, and why "Erica" is never mentioned.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of Goldbergs, I watched this earlier - http://abc.go.com/shows/the-goldbergs/episode-guide/season-3/99-an-80s-rewind

It's just an overview of the show but has some fun out takes and talking head bits. The kid who plays Adam really feels like the character, same with the grandpa who couldn't remember what Transformers were and just calls the 'the episode we did with the boxes'.

It misses a beat by not having the real Adam Goldberg or anyone from his family involved, but it was a pleasant enough watch and it looks like they have as much fun on set as it looks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That big tasty freestyle was gold. Especially the inclusions of 'on fleek'. Best part of the episode by a mile, the rest was just meh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Middle - now on Tuesdays I think, I saw an ad for it but didn't pay much attention to it as I never really cared much for the show, and that one kid freaks me out more and more each season.

Goldbergs - maybe not quuuuite as good as I'd like because I love Breakfast Club so very much, but no complaints from me. Ah, fond memories of trying to think of new looks to line up with new schools.

Speechless - has its own thread but might as well mention it here too. Felt like a lecture rather than a sitcom. Legit did a better job having storylines around someone with disabilities, has people I like in it but overall a chore to watch. Horrendous cover of a Jimmy Eat World song to put the final nails in the coffin at the end.

Modern Family - Jesus, can this show PLEASE think of something new beyond 'one party lies to another to hilarious consequences ' and 'two parties miss seeing each other by a brief moment', they've absolutely run both to death over the years. It doesn't work every episode, but yet they try any way. Luke has aged more than Lily in the off season yet again, somehow.

Black-ish - 30 minute long advert for Disney World in lieu of a premiere. Can't say it persuaded me to give this show another shot (I ran out of time to keep up with it during s1, but reviews seemed very positive). Was nice to see Jim Rash, at least.

Overall rating for the night: meh. Goldbergs the only thing that was worth a watch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm maybe. I know they brought it up on last seasons 'behind the scenes' thing, which was actually quite good and shows the kid who plays Adam really is just like he acts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's not been the best. I don't understand why everyone around them is shipping them really hard too, don't they like her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zero One posted:

Also ABC is working on spinoffs for both Goldbergs and Blackish. The GB one will focus on the teachers at the school and be set in the 90s. The pilot is directed by Jay Chandrasekhar (Super Troopers)!

Despite my hatred of Broken Lizard, this is quite intriguing. Not sure we need another 90s throwback alongside FOTB (unless they want to magically bring back Chris Meloni's show, which was gold), but always willing to give it a shot.

We're on what, 4th season of goldbergs now? I still lose my mind whenever something in the episode is an absolute shot for shot remake of something real. And love it when the real people are in the episode about their characters.

It also seems to be veering away from my main criticism, which was every episode was falling into the same formula of the kids pushing Beverly away only to realize they shouldn't and reconnect at the end. Too many times.

• Locked thread