Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
hey are you a true loving believer in strapping a cell phone screen to your face and flopping your dorky dick out to anime girls

then do I have the show for you

Oculus Connect 2, where tons of nerds gather in LA to arc their poisoned semen all over each other for a couple days or whatever

Keynotes from John Carmack, Michael Abrash, and that other guy who is CEO or whatever start tomorrow at 10am PST https://www.twitch.tv/oculus

expected announcements: new mobile VR thing, since Carmack said at GDC to wait until after oculus connect if you were going to buy a phone for VR (it's going to be a samsung whatever, probably with an interlaced display tech to fake higher fps)

confirmed not going to be announced: preorders for oculus CV1, positional tracking for mobile VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
video games are for children

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Triglav posted:

video games are for children

completely agree

Here's carmack talking about some bullshit i guess http://uploadvr.com/john-carmack-talks-difficulty-mobile-position-tracking-relationship-google/

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

occulus is going to be a cool thing to use once at a friends house but probably not a cool enough thing to buy and then lock oneself in a dark room and use for prolonged periods of time

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

occulus is going to be a cool thing to use once at a friends house but probably not a cool enough thing to buy and then lock oneself in a dark room and use for prolonged periods of time

I have no friends and no life so i'm really looking forward to it

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

can't play dota on occulus so it doesn't matter

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
not yet...

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://www.pcgamer.com/creature-prison-inside-the-vr-designs-of-rick-and-mortys-co-creator/ apparently rick and morty guy loves vr

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

And he has a dota voice pack, this means that dota is coming to the rift!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
You'll put your oculus rift on and see a computer monitor in front of you to play dota, duh

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

SpaceAceJase posted:

You'll put your oculus rift on and see a computer monitor in front of you to play dota, duh

This was literally the first demo they showed running on the consumer Rift during their announcement event

The very first clip was someone sitting in a living room playing an Xbone game on a virtual couch looking at a virtual TV

people were pisssssed

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Any piloting/driving game will womp rear end on the rift and I can't wait

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mad.radhu posted:

This was literally the first demo they showed running on the consumer Rift during their announcement event

The very first clip was someone sitting in a living room playing an Xbone game on a virtual couch looking at a virtual TV

people were pisssssed

and she looked bored as hell

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

vr is a dumb gimmick that's going to bomb harder than 3d

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

people were pisssssed

but if you like a clean living room, it's easier to go vr than clean up

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Probably Not

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack 21 minutes ago

I still have my voice after five hours of hallway conversations today, and the keynote tomorrow unlocks super exciting topics!

Cmarmak tell me your secrets

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Endless Mike posted:

el zuckerino is going to shovel money onto the vr bonfire until it's a $500 standalone device and then more or less overnight it's going to replace entire industries

like, why bother buying a tv when you can have your own portable imax in outer space

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

el zuckerino is going to shovel money onto the vr bonfire until it's a $500 standalone device and then more or less overnight it's going to replace entire industries

like, why bother buying a tv when you can have your own portable imax in outer space

because you can't invite cute girls over to watch zoolander on your vr headset. mom and dad can't get Uncle Walt to babysit little johnny and debbie with just one headset. vr will never supplant tvs except for lonely nerds who have no chance for social interaction or people who already brag about not owning a tv

maybe i'm wrong and it won't be a massive failure, but, at best, it will supplement industries, not replace.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I got one of those gearvr things as a gift. Got a long flight in lovely coach coming up. Gonna watch movies on that thing to see what it's like. The movie theatre experience is pretty good.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://www.twitch.tv/oculus 15 minutes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
imagine echinopsis sitting next to his wife in bed while theyre both watching vr tv and shes jerkign him off but they get tired and just pass out with their rifts still attached to their faces. this is based on a true story

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it sure is

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smythe posted:

imagine echinopsis sitting next to his wife in bed while theyre both watching vr tv and shes jerkign him off but they get tired and just pass out with their rifts still attached to their faces. this is based on a true story

no because echi would whine that it costs more than $1 and doesn't enhance his handjob experience

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

and they might actually update the software which he doesn't want ever

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Endless Mike posted:

because you can't invite cute girls over to watch zoolander on your vr headset. mom and dad can't get Uncle Walt to babysit little johnny and debbie with just one headset. vr will never supplant tvs except for lonely nerds who have no chance for social interaction or people who already brag about not owning a tv

maybe i'm wrong and it won't be a massive failure, but, at best, it will supplement industries, not replace.

actually im just gonna brag about having neither a tv nor a dumb vr thing you strap to your face

poty
Jun 21, 2008

wow feels like im right in the middle of a desert where nothing at all is going on except some cgi wreckage

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

poty posted:

wow feels like im right in the middle of a desert where nothing at all is going on except some cgi wreckage

Welcome to the desert... OF THE REAL

/pulls off your vr goggles, nothing changes

poty
Jun 21, 2008

at samsung were all about relentless innovation

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

using phones as a display is not a good way to push VR I M O

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Welcome to the desert... OF THE REAL

/pulls off your vr goggles, nothing changes

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Endless Mike posted:

mom and dad can't get Uncle Walt to babysit little johnny and debbie with just one headset.

kids will already have their own because it'll be way cheaper to have virtual classrooms than to maintain a physical buiding

besides, why do you need baby sitters when you lost your job piloting a burger printing drone over vr and the guaranteed minimum income isn't enough to cover the cost of a pregnancy credit anyway

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

angry_keebler posted:

kids will already have their own because it'll be way cheaper to have virtual classrooms than to maintain a physical buiding

besides, why do you need baby sitters when you lost your job piloting a burger printing drone over vr and the guaranteed minimum income isn't enough to cover the cost of a pregnancy credit anyway

great now i'm projectile vomiting irl

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

black mirror season 3... shapin up...

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i'm going to watch michael abrash's keynote when I get home because i believe in virtual reality

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
and abrash does fun stuff in his presentations like this

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

football

Cat Face Joe