Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

What is Scream Queens?

Scream Queens is a new horror/comedy series from the hosed up mind of Ryan Murphy (Nip/Tuck, Glee, American Horror Story). The series is supposed to be an anthology format, meaning subsequent seasons will be standalone, potentially sharing actors in new roles.

The first season is centered at fictional Wallace University, which is rocked by a string of murders. Kappa House, the most sought-after sorority for pledges, is ruled with an iron fist (in a pink glove) by its Queen Bitch, Chanel Oberlin (Emma Roberts). But when anti-Kappa Dean Cathy Munsch (Jamie Lee Curtis) decrees that sorority pledging must be open to all students, and not just the school's silver-spooned elite, all hell is about to break loose, as a devil-clad killer begins wreaking havoc, claiming one victim, one episode at a time.

The show walks a fine line between black comedy and slasher film pretty well, IMO. It kind of occupies that space in between Scream and the Scary Movie series.

Here, have some gifs!

Tuesdays 8/7c on Fox

:siren:DEATH GIFS!:siren:

Original KKT 1995 Death

Sophia - Gave Birth In a Tub During TLC's Waterfalls and Bled Out

Red Devil "Deaths" and "Accidents"

Melanie Dorkess - Acid Spray Tan (Survived)

Ms. Bean - Killed By Deep Fryer Prank Gone Wrong

Chanel #2 - Stab Wounds During Texting and Tweeting

Tiffany "deaf Taylor Swift" de Salle - Run Over By Lawnmower After Singing Shake It Off

Boone Clemens - Faked Slashed Throat At Gym (Survived)

Shondell - Knife To The Throat

Coney - Mascot Rivalry, Shaved Off His Toppings With A Chainsaw

Misc. Dickie Dollars Scholar - Arms Lopped Off (Chainsaw > Baseball Bat) (?)

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

And I am ALL about watching the mayhem happen this way. Denise Hemphill and Zayday better not die. They've already beaten one horror movie trope the second episode with Boone being alive .

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Niecy Nash is wonderful on this so far. I hope she's in more episodes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Scream (MTV) stole some steam from this. Remains to be seen whether this can be better, a little disjointed so far but I like it okay.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm enjoying this so far, but coming from shows like AHS and Walking Dead, it's funny seeing how sad gore is on a primetime network show. In fact, I almost believed that the maid was still alive and killing people since her burns were so comically fake.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

criscodisco posted:

I'm enjoying this so far, but coming from shows like AHS and Walking Dead, it's funny seeing how sad gore is on a primetime network show. In fact, I almost believed that the maid was still alive and killing people since her burns were so comically fake.

I think that kinda added to the vibe in this case. This isn't American Horror Story where they're actively trying to disturb you and make you think; they're going more for a winking homage, and the absurd gore and effects play to that.

Also, everybody's pretty drat great, but can I fawn over Neckbrace for a bit? Aside from similar obsessive qualities, I don't see a bit of Rachel Berry in Lea Michele's performance, but her clingy death-obsessed weirdo act is amazing here.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Even in a TV show Ariana Grande dresses like a 12 year old hooker. Is she exclusively appealing to pedophiles in her career or something? If I already didn't know her age there is no way I would guess she is 22.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Even in a TV show Ariana Grande dresses like a 12 year old hooker. Is she exclusively appealing to pedophiles in her career or something? If I already didn't know her age there is no way I would guess she is 22.

I'm almost certain I read a thing a while back that she has in her contract or rider or whatever it's called that she cannot be filmed without the ponytail ever, and can only be photographed from one side, her "good side".

I don't know if that carries over to TV shows, but it sure seems to.

Also, it took until the lawnmower scene for me to realize that neckbrace is Lea Michele. I'm glad she was unrecognizable, because she played Rachel Berry for so long that I was starting to associate her personality with that character.

It's also nice to see the original scream queen doing anything but a diarrhea yogurt commercial.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I can't believe Lea Michele didn't get a solo. What fresh hell is this?

On a more serious note, I think the show is off to an ok start. Hopefully everything is wrapped up at the end of the season and it will be an anthology series like AHS. That should help keep the writing fresh.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

the truth posted:

That should help keep the writing fresh.

You would think, but then AHS: Freakshow happened.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

the truth posted:

Hopefully everything is wrapped up at the end of the season and it will be an anthology series like AHS. That should help keep the writing fresh.

Nope. They've said it's going to be kind of like MTV Scream where some people die, some don't, and those that do move on to the next season and a new murder mystery with them involved begins. It's like a new regionals with the cast being culled off and newbies put in... every year.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've never seen any Ryan Murphy shows but apparently he has a reputation? So level with me guys, will the show be as funny as those two gifs imply?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

I've never seen any Ryan Murphy shows but apparently he has a reputation? So level with me guys, will the show be as funny as those two gifs imply?

It's very Mean Girls meets Scream. But mind you, it's a dark-comedy, so you're getting hit in the face with a BUNCH of non-PC, hosed-up jokes that would not fly in real life conversation. It's satire. As a warning, some people who watched took it to heart and got really offended, some people find it in poor taste and bad/easy writing, and a lot more find it funny as hell.

The death scenes are hilarious, the character interactions are awesome, and if nothing else, the set design is really pretty.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

aBagorn posted:

Niecy Nash is wonderful on this so far. I hope she's in more episodes.

She's great so far and the scene with the phone number, even though originally an IT crowd joke, was so well executed I didn't mind it.

I'm just hoping they don't use her for too many "Chanel is so white and terrible" jokes though, because I got sick of that when she did the white eyeliner line

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Now that I see this thread might have some traction, on to the episode discussion/recaps. Standard TVIV rules apply, no need to spoiler aired content.

The obvious lingering question is "Which one of our current crop of cast is the baby from the 1995 flashback?" They seem to be setting it up to be Grace, what with the whole "dead mom" thing (and looking incredulously at Waterfalls, the best pop song of the 1990s, on the Kappa Party Mix CD), but I have a suspicion that Murphy won't play it so straight. My money is actually on Chanel, who was surreptitiously adopted by one of the other Kappa girls in 1995 and has no idea that her birth mom died in that very tub. A stretch? Yes.

I don't think Boone is in cahoots with the real killer. I think his stunt was just that, a stunt to play on his Dickie Dollars frat brothers. I could be wrong.

Wacky theory - Grace's dad is the killer, and is working with Dean Munsch.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I actually think Chanel #5 is the baby. She was awfully quick to get Grace the hell out the basement. She's the right age.

Plus, didn't they say at the beginning Grace knowing a bit of her mom since she was a baby ~2? Her mom lived enough to have pictures in the sorority and have a pin, meaning she passed pledge and became a full fledged sister. She was also described as kind. So, bearing in mind that she was alive for awhile when Grace was born and wasn't a total psycho, plus became a sister and not erased from the house's history, I'd wager she's probably the brunette chick that had pity for pregnant dead tub girl.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

aBagorn posted:

Now that I see this thread might have some traction, on to the episode discussion/recaps. Standard TVIV rules apply, no need to spoiler aired content.

The obvious lingering question is "Which one of our current crop of cast is the baby from the 1995 flashback?" They seem to be setting it up to be Grace, what with the whole "dead mom" thing (and looking incredulously at Waterfalls, the best pop song of the 1990s, on the Kappa Party Mix CD), but I have a suspicion that Murphy won't play it so straight. My money is actually on Chanel, who was surreptitiously adopted by one of the other Kappa girls in 1995 and has no idea that her birth mom died in that very tub. A stretch? Yes.

I don't think Boone is in cahoots with the real killer. I think his stunt was just that, a stunt to play on his Dickie Dollars frat brothers. I could be wrong.

Can't be grace though can it? She said on the drive to college that she lost her mom to house fire when she was two, I had to back it up to confirm that on the pilot as I assumed it was going to be Grace as well. I do think that the "Head" Kappa who is stuck in the 90's was one of the girls there though.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Active666 posted:

Can't be grace though can it? She said on the drive to college that she lost her mom to house fire when she was two, I had to back it up to confirm that on the pilot as I assumed it was going to be Grace as well. I do think that the "Head" Kappa who is stuck in the 90's was one of the girls there though.

Her dad could be lying to her, maybe? She might not even know how old she really is?

I actually don't think Head Kappa went to that school. That seems like it would be too much of a coincidence even for this show.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

aBagorn posted:

Her dad could be lying to her, maybe? She might not even know how old she really is?

I actually don't think Head Kappa went to that school. That seems like it would be too much of a coincidence even for this show.

I thought it was heavily implied that she was the girl holding the baby after it's mom died. She said her doctor told her she was stuck in the 90's because of a traumatic incident.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

criscodisco posted:

I thought it was heavily implied that she was the girl holding the baby after it's mom died. She said her doctor told her she was stuck in the 90's because of a traumatic incident.

That was my take on it as well. as to her dad lying, yes that is a possibility, but what about the house fire and the "burnt" kappa pin?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Her dad would have to be lying to her on several levels, I think, because the incident/birth took place roughly 20 years ago and Grace tells Pete that she's 18. Of any of them through the second episode, I'm kind of inclined to think it's Pete, because he puts his age at 19/20, clearly hates the poo poo out of Kappa, and I don't think the baby in the intro scene was actually assigned a gender in that moment, was it?

(They're also obviously setting up Chad as a potential answer to that question with his severe death/mom issues.)

Pierson posted:

Probably the show will be very funny to you. Ryan Murphy shows tend to have a very short/severe shelf-life, as he only has the attention span to write interesting/coherent material for maybe a season or two at most before his method devolves into "gently caress it, throw everything at the wall, most of it probably won't stick but who even cares anymore".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

maybe the candle vlogger?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This show is great. It seems like the writers know all the tropes and are both playing them straight and ironically, so you can never tell what's actually happening and what's a joke. I was hooked from episode one.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

maybe the candle vlogger?
My husband didn't get why I was laughing so hard at her until I explained to him that candle vloggers are real and get very heated when it comes to candles. He is so innocent.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Illuen posted:

get very heated when it comes to candles

:v:

I'm not sure if that was intentional or not but it made me laugh a lot.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Illuen posted:

My husband didn't get why I was laughing so hard at her until I explained to him that candle vloggers are real

gently caress off.

...wait, what?

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Illuen posted:

candle vloggers are real

:ughh:

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

I did not know this either, and words are failing me now....

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

My husband thought that was the funniest part because one of his best friends is totally obsessed with candles. There is a bunch of special lingo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just finished the pilot. So far seems like pretty pitch-perfect and straight faced satire which is hard to pull off.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

aBagorn posted:

The first part of this is literally what everyone I watched it with thinks. Dad's super attached. His daughter is going away and he can't take it/keep her safe so he creates this whole thing to make sure she's his and only his. He's obsessed with 1995 too (from the car mixtape thing) and is watching the house... yadda yadda yadda.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Active666 posted:

I did not know this either, and words are failing me now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QabHjRJ2Hss

You only have to get about 1 minute in to see why candle vloggers are their own breed. I didn't know how to find the original video, so this is of a drag queen doing a tosh.o thing on it. Sorry about that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nothing bad ever happens in a Best Buy parking lot.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

You have NO idea how many people this joke just flew over their heads. I asked at a viewing party and was told these varying degrees of understanding:
  • People having sex in the back of cars and getting caught
  • Stealing from Best Buy
  • Overnight parking without permission
  • Black Friday

NOBODY got Serial the podcast! Nobody remembered the murder of Hae Min Lee and how they picked up her body at the Best Buy parking lot. Or the crass tweets Best Buy made after Serial aired that portion of it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Honestly, it went over my head, too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

xeria posted:

Probably the show will be very funny to you. Ryan Murphy shows tend to have a very short/severe shelf-life, as he only has the attention span to write interesting/coherent material for maybe a season or two at most before his method devolves into "gently caress it, throw everything at the wall, most of it probably won't stick but who even cares anymore".
Now that I recall I think I asked this question in the Glee thread as well, and I took goons advice, enjoyed the first half-season and then just didn't watch any more. If this ends up the same way so be it, I'm down for a season of schlock.

Thanks for the input dudes. :)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I laughed in my head, and then thought that Ryan Murphy wouldn't be clever enough to make a Serial reference, and then read that it was and got very happy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The dad being the killer is almost too obvious, but I'd say it's possible.

Actually, the way this show is going, everyone is too obvious for everything, so all bets are probably off. I mean, Munsch being the killer would also be super-obvious, as would Chad and the mascot geek dude.

Chanel #5 is an actual perfume so I immediately assumed she's important.

And there are people who do vlogs reviewing frozen pizzas, at least candles are something that anyone in the world might ever care about a review of.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009
Finally got around to watching the second episode and thought it was great. So much dark and off-humor comedy I am loving it. Some thoughts I had are Coffee shop guy is the baby, and I believe the rumors about Munsch Box covering up the death and baby birth are true.
It feels to much like Scream for there to be only one person involved with the killings.
I absolutely love Neckbrace and hope she sticks around, her obsession with death and body disposal were just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

wormil posted:

Scream (MTV) stole some steam from this. Remains to be seen whether this can be better, a little disjointed so far but I like it okay.

I've watched both and seriously, it didn't. Scream Queens embraces the hammy-ness and tropes of the material its playing up while the best Scream could do is echo the Kevin Williams formula while everybody save 2 actors (the nerd and the Bex Taylor whatever) are just horrible performance machines.

A better summary of Scream Queens is 'SCREAM mets HEATHERS'.

• Locked thread