Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alt title: The man who fultoned the world

Metal Gear Solid V is the next and final game in the Metal Gear Solid series to be made by mad man Hideo Kojima. This entry borrows heavily from Peace Walker and brings in mission based gameplay with base building, all in an open world. We can research new items to take out on the field, get buddies to help us out and of course fulton every solitary thing that can be fulton'd

How will this LP work?
I'll do all the main ops and side ops, I'll try to vary my gameplay between stealth and going loud (they didn't put all those lethal weapons in for nothing!) as well as trying to show off what all the buddies can do. However I'm not Chip Cheezum, you aren't going to see perfect all stealth S ranks out of me.

I'll show off the different weapons and buddies, after a point I'll let the thread decide on what loadouts and buddies I'll take in misisons.

Also contrary to what the Metal Gear series is known for, this game lightened up on cutscenes and regulated it all into cassette tapes. Those will be in their own video.

Do I need to know anything about previous games?

This game does take place after MGS3, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes so it'll spoil those, also it'll reference the games further in the timeline. I'd recommend watching Chip's Let's Plays of the series but its not needed, I'll explain the who and what questions as they show up in the game.

Don't you have a few abandoned LPs to your name?

Yes, Mount and Blade got way too tedious and I'm having issues with X3 where there is extremely painful noises when navigating the menus that got impossible to edit around. If my reasons don't instill confidence that I wont abandon this as well, here is this:

:siren: :toxx: If I let this thread fall into archives give me a ban AND a month probation. If the thread is close to being archived and I make a non video post to stop it from being archived hit me with the ban + probation. :toxx: :siren:

Unless something happens I'll do 1 video per week at minimum, 2 a week is my goal. I ask though if Konami slaps me with take downs and strikes for the toxx to be nulled.

Hasn't the game only been out for like 3 weeks?

Yep, I gotta be first to get them mad LP dollas :jerkbag:

But seriously, I played around for some time and I will be editing out downtime inexperience causes. This isn't a full blind LP

Well I took so long between updates that I'm following the outdated 3 month rule :v:

Spoilers?

Don't spoil anything that happens in this game. Wanna spoil MGS1 or Peace Walker or Acid? Go for it. But nothing for this game, not even in spoiler tags.

:siren: NOT EVEN IN SPOILER TAGS :siren:

As an aside, you may wanna not look at the related videos on youtube cause I'm sure someone will have a related video with a gigantic spoiler in the title.

Videos:
(While I said the game is lighter on the cutscenes, its heavy in the beginning)

Prologue Intro (Cutscene)
Prologue 1 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Prologue 2 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 1 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 2 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 3 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 4 (Gameplay)
Chapter 5 (Gameplay)
Catch Up 1 (Gameplay)
Cassettes 1 (Audio)
Chapter 6 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Cassettes 2 (Audio)
Chapter 7 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 8 (Gameplay)
Chapter 9 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Flashback (Ground Zeroes)
Chapter 10 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 11 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 12 (Gameplay)
Chapter 13 (Gameplay)
Chapter 14 (Gameplay)
Chapter 15 (Gameplay)
Side Missions 1(Gameplay)
Chapter 16 (Gameplay)
Chapter 17 (Gameplay)
Chapter 18 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 19 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 20 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Side Missions 2 (Gameplay)
Chapter 21 (Gameplay)
Chapter 22 (Gameplay)
Chapter 23 (Gampeplay/Cutscene)
Side Missions 3 (Gameplay)
Chapter 24 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 25 (Gameplay)
Chapter 26 (Gameplay)
Chapter 27 + Ground Zeroes 2(Gameplay)
Ground Zeroes 3 (Gameplay)
Ground Zeroes 4 (Gameplay)
Ground Zeroes 5 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Ground Zeroes 6 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Ground Zeroes 7 (Gameplay)
Chapter 28 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 29 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Side Mission + Cassette Tape (Cassettes)
Chapter 30 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 31 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Side missions and cassettes 2
Chapter 32 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 33 (Gameplay)
Chapter 34 (Gameplay)
Chapter 35 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 36 (Gameplay)
Cassettes 3
Chapter 37 (Gameplay)
Cassettes 4
Chapter 38 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 39 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 40 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 41 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 42 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 43 (Gameplay/drat Good Cutscenes)
Chapter 44 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Cassets + Side Missions 5
Cassettes + Side Missions 6
Chapter 45 (Gameplay)
Chapter 46 (Gameplay)
Chapter 47 (Gameplay)
Chapter 48 (Gameplay)
Chapter 49 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Chapter 50 (Gameplay/Cutscene)
Final Cassettes + Side Missions

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Venom Snake (Big Boss)

Our protagonist, Venom Snake or Big Boss, was first playable in MGS3 and in Peace Walker. He is known as the legendary soldier, usurping his mentor simply known as Boss in MGS3. His genetics was used to make clones of himself, in the future his clones were Solid, Liquid and Solidus Snakes. After the events in MGS3 he formed his own PMC, Militaires Sans Frontières, stationed on the Barranquilla Coast of Columbia. He would accept a job from Ramon Galvez and Paz Ortega to invade Costa Rica, being given an offshore base as a gift from Ramon. During this time Snake uncovered a plan by the CIA to bring nukes into Costa Rica, along with the Peace Walker project which was yet another robot built to launch nukes.

Bringing us to now, in the Ground Zeroes incident, where Mother Base was attacked and destroyed by Cipher. Cipher pretended to be UN inspectors inspecting the base for nukes,and attacked when allowed onto the base by Huey Emmerich. Attempting to escape on a helicopter Snake finds 2 bombs inside of Paz, disposing of the first but ultimately Paz jumps out of the helicopter when the second bomb explodes, sending Snake's helicopter on a collision course with another chopper. He was in a coma for 9 years, bringing us to the start of the game.

Revolver "Boom Shalashaska" Ocelot

Ocelot was a reoccurring antagonist in MGS3. He was a cocky showoff, letting his pride get the better of him which Snake exploited. At the end of MGS3 he has respect for Snake, ending their final duel by exchanging first names so they could be real men to one another and not just animals. He was a double agent, playing both the CIA and KGB. He would later embed himself as an interrogation officer for the Russians to keep an eye on Snake while he was in a coma. He would take over Diamond Dogs during Kaz's capture, and would save Snake at the end of the prologue. In later games he would be the host for Liquid Snake, having the arm cut off during MGS1 replaced with Liquid's arm which allowed Liquid to dominate Ocelot's mind.

Kazuhira Miller

Miller first appeared (Well, sorta...) in MGS1 as a codec support character that gave Solid Snake advice. However it turns out he was killed by Liquid a few days before the events of MGS1 who assumed his identity. Miller first met Big Boss 2 years before Peace Walker, as a revolutionary going against the Colombian government whom Big Boss was working for. Big Boss attempted to have Miller surrender, Miller played along and attempted to kill the both of them with a grenade he concealed. BB however was impressed with Miller's spirit and eventually convinced him to join MSF where Miller would take up administrative duties. During Big Boss's coma Miller would reform MSF as Diamond Dogs, and went to Afghanistan to train the Mujahideen where he would be attacked by the Skulls and lose an arm and a leg and become a Russian POW. He manages to get a message out to Ocelot to rescue Big Boss, being rescued by BB at the start of the game.

D Dog

DD is the most adorable dog you can take with you in a mission :3: Found as a puppy in Afghanistan, Big Boss fultons DD back to Mother Base. After successfully testing the hyperbolic time chamber in the back of Mother Base DD grows to a full sized dog and can be taken as a buddy into missions. DD acts as a passive radar, marking nearby enemies, gun emplacements, vehicles and mines. He can also howl to distract enemies from a further distance then knocking, and can directly attack enemies to distract them. He can also be upgraded to kill or stun enemies.

Quiet

Quiet is a sniper working for XOF, taking out various Soviet officers. She would fight Big Boss and join Diamond Dogs after she loses to him. She has a condition where she breathes through her skin, and as such has to wear basically nothing. She can be taken as a buddy where she thankfully retains her great sniping abilities, she can also scout bases where she marks enemies and drops supplies around the base. She can be equipped with a lethal or non lethal rifle, and she can relocate very easily making her, frankly, overpowered.

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 9, 2016

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I love the fake-out at the beginning of the game. This has to be one of my favourite intro sequences of all time.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Good Luck!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I love the fake-out at the beginning of the game. This has to be one of my favourite intro sequences of all time.

It really is, you get this thought of "Oh I can have my own avatar be big boss!" then nope! It actually took me a bit the first time I played to realize it cause I made my avatar look similar to big boss.

Thanks, I'm confident nothing will happen this time around. Unless outposts suddenly have a thousand soldiers mounted on armored horses sniping me I'm not gonna get fatigued.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I see Snake has already earned the ire of the King of Fire.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Why do the masked troopers hold the SMGs on their side?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Gideon020 posted:

They may be using some SMGs that have a magazine on the side of the gun. Otherwise, because Kojima.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gideon020 posted:

Considering someone in MGS3 uses a Mauser Broomhandle that way so that 'the recoil lets her sweep horizontally!' I don't think you should expect very sensible gunplay in the land of knifeguns, fire kings, and The Prince of All Cowboys.

Mind, this is an action movie, so there's nothing wrong with that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gideon020 posted:

Because they have gas masks on. Apparently it's a real thing.

mecharick
Nov 4, 2009

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Yeah...I had to put down the controller at that point and call my brother to ask just what the gently caress is going on right now

....I tried to make him look like Original BB from the original Metal Gear, so, Sean Connery.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RatHat posted:

Because they have gas masks on. Apparently it's a real thing.

Yeah I've read its because the gas mask doesn't allow one to rest their cheek against the gun while aiming.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Night10194 posted:

Considering someone in MGS3 uses a Mauser Broomhandle that way so that 'the recoil lets her sweep horizontally!' I don't think you should expect very sensible gunplay in the land of knifeguns, fire kings, and The Prince of All Cowboys.

That's a thing, and so is this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's a thing, and so is this.

I'm just trying to imagine how on God's earth you hit anything that way and also don't jam the gun. Doesn't holding them sideways mess with the feed?

It's always weird seeing Kojima stuff because the most ridiculous tiny detail will be right, but it'll be in with, again, fire king and it's really hard to tell what's him being obsessive about obscure stuff and what's him being ridiculous.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Night10194 posted:

Doesn't holding them sideways mess with the feed?

Ejection. Handguns are usually not made to eject upwards and as such don't always get enough force to get the spent casing out before trying to feed a new cartridge. However, the Scorpion (the submachine gun the gasmask soldiers were wielding) ejects out the top from the start, just like the Broomhandle; tilting it makes it eject to the side which it can do with ease.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'm looking forward to this.

Sorry, but did I miss the explanation as to why there's a sci-fi prosthetic forearm in 198X?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LashLightning posted:

Sorry, but did I miss the explanation as to why there's a sci-fi prosthetic forearm in 198X?

There was one in the previous game, Peace Walker, which was set in 1974. There were also giant robots. Technology in Metal Gear universe is a mix between real-world stuff and fantastic scifi stuff. The line is sometimes harder to distinguish than you'd think; the first Big Boss game in the Metal Gear Solid series, #3, took place in the sixties and the Soviets had flying jet platforms which were only somewhat more reliable than actual prototype hovercraft they had back then.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
Metal Gear Tech is sort of crazy.

But at least, it's consistently crazy. You don't get any of that "Well, we had that in the 60s, but now it's gone with no sign it ever existed."

Instead you get "Remember that thing? Here's a better version/something that makes it obsolete."

LashLightning posted:

Soviet Bionic research in the 70s.

90% of all crazy tech in Metal Gear can be traced back to the Soviets' research programs.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 24, 2015

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I imagine each MGS game is kind of a sci-fi setting taking place in that time period.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I like how everyone's talking about gun-kata and sci-fi tech after a series of videos that included a giant fire-whale eating a helicopter.

Did Ishmael share the Boss' voice actor? For that moment where his model freaked out in the first video I was thinking he was some weird Third Man Effect of the Boss'.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Atomikus posted:

Ejection. Handguns are usually not made to eject upwards and as such don't always get enough force to get the spent casing out before trying to feed a new cartridge. However, the Scorpion (the submachine gun the gasmask soldiers were wielding) ejects out the top from the start, just like the Broomhandle; tilting it makes it eject to the side which it can do with ease.

Definitely not a Skorpion.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Definitely not a Skorpion.

Derp. Yes, that's an SA.23 which ejects from the right side. It might have issues ejecting if held sideways. Don't know how I could've made that mistake.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

Did Ishmael share the Boss' voice actor? For that moment where his model freaked out in the first video I was thinking he was some weird Third Man Effect of the Boss'.

Yes

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

citybeatnik posted:

I like how everyone's talking about gun-kata and sci-fi tech after a series of videos that included a giant fire-whale eating a helicopter.

RIP Ishmael. Dude seemed nice, deserved better than to die in that car crash. Also his wound from having a knife thrown at him seemed to had disappeared with no holes on his gown. Was Ishmael sent to look after Snake by Ocelot? I don't remember Ocelot mentioning him.

Were fire-dude and fem(?)!Psycho-Mantis on Snake's side? Lil' Mantis seemed to be saving Snake's butt a lot, but fire-dude switched between attacking Snake and attacking the Military that were trying to kill Snake.

I'm not sure if fire-dude and Lil' Mantis collaborated on fire-whale or if one or the other did it. Also, where did fire-dude get a flame-retardent unicorn-pegasus from? Are we to suppose this all came from one of them Soviet Science things?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

LashLightning posted:

RIP Ishmael. Dude seemed nice, deserved better than to die in that car crash. Also his wound from having a knife thrown at him seemed to had disappeared with no holes on his gown. Was Ishmael sent to look after Snake by Ocelot? I don't remember Ocelot mentioning him.

Were fire-dude and fem(?)!Psycho-Mantis on Snake's side? Lil' Mantis seemed to be saving Snake's butt a lot, but fire-dude switched between attacking Snake and attacking the Military that were trying to kill Snake.

I'm not sure if fire-dude and Lil' Mantis collaborated on fire-whale or if one or the other did it. Also, where did fire-dude get a flame-retardent unicorn-pegasus from? Are we to suppose this all came from one of them Soviet Science things?

Not gonna lie, haven't played the game or anything, but I'm pretty sure Ishmael was never there to begin with. The only thing I've got to suggest otherwise is that he shoots one soldier, but iirc, the gun he got was from an already dead soldier, so it could have been Ahab doing the shooting himself. In addition to the above, he shrugged off bursting into flame quite well, and no one seemed to respond to his "distraction" that let you try to sneak around. Also, the hellway sequence where the soldiers start shooting from both ends, we see Ishmael push his way to the front, then we see a man that looks exactly like him (hospital robe, bandaged face) gunned down, then he miraculously appears out of the closed room to drag Snake to safety. Also the bit with Ishmael pissing himself maybe but wait, it's actually an IV bag. This still doesn't explain who fought the assassin, if not Snake himself (although it's interesting that Ishmael was throwing things with his right hand, which is the one hand Snake has), or how the van got anywhere with Snake buckled into the passenger seat and no one driving, but still.

Hopefully we get a good explanation for why Johnny Storm is really pissed off at Snake, and why Psycho Mantis has Meryl hair.

I really appreciated the !MGSIV loading screen cigar smoking Snake was doing there. Well played, Kojima.

Edit: I was going to correct the hellway misspelling, but chose to leave it as is.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 25, 2015

UseBees
May 9, 2012
this has bugged me since the first gameplay trailers:

how do the soldiers not spot you or ishmael crawling around? is the brightness cranked for recording purposes or do they just have traditional MGS tunnel vision?

also I'm really excited to see this LP since I'll never have a chance to play this game myself.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RickVoid posted:

Not gonna lie, haven't played the game or anything, but I'm pretty sure Ishmael was never there to begin with.

Yeah, Ishmael does have kind of a Tyler Durden aspect to him, doesn't he?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

Yeah, Ishmael does have kind of a Tyler Durden aspect to him, doesn't he?

Okay, I'm probably going to sound like I'm up my own rear end here for a bit, so forgive me in advance.

If I was going to write sequence in which someone has been gravely wound, is having memory issues, and is completely out of their depth to the point where their sanity has fractured, this is exactly how I'd do it. Snake's memory and grasp on reality was pretty hosed after waking up to find he'd lost nine years and an arm, and was clearly having trouble remembering a fair bit more. But the Id sees all, and knows all, and it wants to survive. Well, it wants to murder the poo poo out of half of everything, and gently caress the other half, but I digress. So to get Snake through this bit of helplessness, Snake fools himself into thinking that there is another person there, doing all the poo poo he doesn't remember how to do/doesn't think he can do, while he watches as a silent observer. That bit where Ishmael sets Snake's arm, "Next time you'll have to do this yourself"? rear end in a top hat comment coming from someone else, a subtle reminder that "you can do this, buddy" when you're saying it to yourself. Ishmael acts like a running inner monologue through the entire sequence. You ever seen a horror flick where the protagonist talks to themselves as a way to get through the trauma? "You are my lucky star", as my personal favorite example? Yeah, this feels like that exactly.

Every time Ishmael tells Snake he can do something, Snake suddenly realizes "Oh hey, I can do that" and then has no problem continuing to do it. And when does Ishmael disappear? Just when he doesn't need him anymore/ the trauma is over/ another human being shows up.

TL/DR; What we saw isn't actually what happened, it's colored by Snake's perception of the events, at least up until Ocelot shows up.

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Johnny Storm or why he decided to attack Snake with a giant flaming whale, unless Snake/Snake's Id just imagined the wave of fire to be shaped like a Whale in order to complete the Moby Dick delusion. Given that the Id is exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat that would do such a thing, I know where I'm placing my money.

In regards to someone's kinda question about if Psycho Mantis was a boy or girl, I don't think that's ever been a thing that has been specifically stated. And since Mantis thinks it's all gross anyway, it doesn't matter, really. (Although Mantis does have a weird emotional fixation on Solid Snake, though that could be because Snake was... fairly nice to him/her when they fought, though if Mantis is protecting Big Boss here maybe it was less that and more that those feelings transferred from BB to Solid Snake?

... It's loving impossible to talk about anything in this series without it getting weird/making you sound like psychotic sperglord. Goddammit, Kojima.

MagicBoots
Mar 29, 2010

How about we pump the atmosphere full of methane?
You put me on Cargo handling optimization?! I am the premier defense specialist in the entirety of the UN!
Don't you dare pull my funding!
You can't cut back on funding!
You will regret this!

Did you miss this bit in the prologue cutscene: https://youtu.be/kEztYtrfwY0?t=17m27s

"Who are you...?"

"Who am I?"

"You're talking to yourself."

Also they share the same voice actor.

MagicBoots fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 26, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

MagicBoots posted:

Did you miss this bit in the prologue cutscene: https://youtu.be/kEztYtrfwY0?t=17m27s

"Who are you...?"

"Who am I?"

"You're talking to yourself."

Also they share the same voice actor.

I've only watched the prologue this one time, so yeah, I missed that. Clever bit of dialogue there.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Plus there's the fact that bits and parts of the intro sequence don't exactly feel real. The guards suddenly decide to stop shooting the bodies. Ishmael jumps off a landing and just... disappears. BB witnesses the assassin killing the nurse without attempting to alert the doctor (even though he can gesture and talk by this point). Johnny Storm is riding a flaming flying unicorn at one point. At several points, the guards don't notice you even though they totally should have. Whatever it is, the intro keeps insisting to you that what you're seeing and hearing might not be entirely real, and it does it in so many subtle ways.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

RickVoid posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Johnny Storm or why he decided to attack Snake with a giant flaming whale, unless Snake/Snake's Id just imagined the wave of fire to be shaped like a Whale in order to complete the Moby Dick delusion. Given that the Id is exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat that would do such a thing, I know where I'm placing my money.

In regards to someone's kinda question about if Psycho Mantis was a boy or girl, I don't think that's ever been a thing that has been specifically stated. And since Mantis thinks it's all gross anyway, it doesn't matter, really. (Although Mantis does have a weird emotional fixation on Solid Snake, though that could be because Snake was... fairly nice to him/her when they fought, though if Mantis is protecting Big Boss here maybe it was less that and more that those feelings transferred from BB to Solid Snake?

First of all, Psycho Mantis is very much a boy. Second of all, Psycho Mantis is a mind-reader and Snake was just told his new name was Ahab, it's not a far stretch to say fire whale was all Mantis's doing.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
Remember to always pay attention to Psycho Mantis's appearance.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 26, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I really wish some jerk hadn't spoiled a big plot point of this game for me, and I do hope it doesn't happen to anyone in this thread.

The way people go on about this game, I'm undecided about whether I'm going to watch this LP or get it myself.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Happy to see an lp of this game up here, I can't wait to see more!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Lotish posted:

I really wish some jerk hadn't spoiled a big plot point of this game for me, and I do hope it doesn't happen to anyone in this thread.
Was it that one dude posting an unmarked spoiler in the PYF "stuff dragging this game down" thread a few days ago? Apparently it was intentional, as he was doing the same thing in other PYF threads. He managed to spoil one of the major plot events for me, although that really just raised more questions.

Anyways, I've been playing this for about 40 hours and my completion percentage is 18%. I love the game and it's already my favorite Metal Gear (or at least tied with the first MGS, which I actually never played until a couple of weeks ago), but I'm not sure if I have the patience for games this huge anymore. The same thing happened with Witcher 3, which I completely burned out on after ~30 hours despite enjoying it. :saddowns:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was thinking to myself about wars I'd enjoy seeing Kojima cover and I hit on the perfect one.

I'd love to see Hideo Kojima's take on the Great Emu War.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Night10194 posted:

I was thinking to myself about wars I'd enjoy seeing Kojima cover and I hit on the perfect one.

I'd love to see Hideo Kojima's take on the Great Emu War.
Metal Gear EMU

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
It always bugs me in games like this is characters have no common sense; if the fireman is immune to all the bullets, stop shooting bullets at it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Doc Morbid posted:

Metal Gear EMU

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear...

Metal Gear Cassowary.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Plus there's the fact that bits and parts of the intro sequence don't exactly feel real. The guards suddenly decide to stop shooting the bodies. Ishmael jumps off a landing and just... disappears. BB witnesses the assassin killing the nurse without attempting to alert the doctor (even though he can gesture and talk by this point). Johnny Storm is riding a flaming flying unicorn at one point. At several points, the guards don't notice you even though they totally should have. Whatever it is, the intro keeps insisting to you that what you're seeing and hearing might not be entirely real, and it does it in so many subtle ways.

The intro manages to outdo most survival horror games and I absolutely love it. I was just disappointed that literally every major beat up until Ocelot shows up was shown in the original Phantom Pain reveal trailer. I really did find myself envying people going in fresh.

• Locked thread