Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
I found the interpreter mission a bit strange because in MGS3 BB could speak and understand Russian, and in any case you're now working with Ocelot who is Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPirateguy
Mar 18, 2015

Rasler posted:

I found the interpreter mission a bit strange because in MGS3 BB could speak and understand Russian, and in any case you're now working with Ocelot who is Russian.

They actually explain that if you interrogate someone with CQC before doing that mission. BB has brain damage due to the schrapnel in his brain. He forgot how to speak and understand Russian.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Section Z posted:

Ah yes, my archnemesis. Psychic Truck.

My other archnemesis is small rocks.
You'd think there would be a way to keep that from happening. Avoid spawning any enemies a certain distance from where your drop point is, or something, so a scout truck isn't literally right next to you when you show up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also, while Ocelot can speak Russian, he's not really prepared to do on-the-fly translation.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

You'd think there would be a way to keep that from happening. Avoid spawning any enemies a certain distance from where your drop point is, or something, so a scout truck isn't literally right next to you when you show up.

Alas, no matter when and where you are, they have that talent.

You know, even when they aren't stopping to walk around in circles by their truck yelling about lazy bastards 100 feet outside a guard post, because they sensed the presence of the unconscious man you shoved into a porta potty a full minute before they showed up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Section Z posted:

You know, even when they aren't stopping to walk around in circles by their truck yelling about lazy bastards 100 feet outside a guard post, because they sensed the presence of the unconscious man you shoved into a porta potty a full minute before they showed up.

"Hold up Bob, it feels like a graphics card just rendered us. Protagonist must be nearby."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rasler posted:

In Chapter 1 I tried interrogating a guard and Ocelot says "Looks like the shrapnel in your head took out the part that knows how to speak Russian" or something like that (despite knowing EXACTLY what the guard said, he said he couldn't speak English :colbert:). I tried another interrogation but it didn't trigger the dialogue, but Ocelot says:

quote:

Understanding a language, and being able to interpret from that language for somebody else, are two different things. Juggling languages at a rapid-fire pace is more difficult than you might think, so... in other words, while I do speak Russian, don't expect me to do your interpreting.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

It's the little things that make this game great, like the translator being a dick to the other soldier.

I wanted (in fact, I'll just add it in annotations) to add my own subtitles to what the conversation was in Russian before they spoke English. As an aside, thank you fans for having an article for the Russian Interpreter on the Metal Gear wiki :patriot: :

Soviet soldier: Really? Tell me something interesting that I can tell an American someday.
Interpreter: Alright, then repeat after me
(I slept with your girlfriend lines)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Great LP so far. I've been looking forward to this one, since I can't run MGSVTPP on my own computer.

I only have one question: Does the cardboard box still wiggle when you're wearing it?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Ocelot's full of poo poo. He's just lazy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Ocelot's full of poo poo. He's just lazy.

Give him a break, he's basically the head of DD's HR department.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You gotta wonder about Ocelot's hiring methods. He SAYS "bring people back to base, and if they're agreeable they may decide to join us" but it's not like anybody says no. You would think out of all these soldiers somebody would say "kill me if you have to, I won't betray my homeland."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

You gotta wonder about Ocelot's hiring methods. He SAYS "bring people back to base, and if they're agreeable they may decide to join us" but it's not like anybody says no. You would think out of all these soldiers somebody would say "kill me if you have to, I won't betray my homeland."

Outside of VIDEOGAMES, while I'm sure there is plenty of making them listen to Big Boss's mix tape until they crack, there is probably just as much if not more "Well, I hated my old job, Big Boss is famous, and I get to hang out on an oil rig doing nothing until I'm Miller fires me automatically for having D's in everything".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

My guess is that a handful of the "oh sorry, they got lost in the weather/they couldn't take take the stress of being fultoned" recruitment failures are occasionally Ocelot deflecting the blame of not being able to break a guy

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

JT Jag posted:

My guess is that a handful of the "oh sorry, they got lost in the weather/they couldn't take take the stress of being fultoned" recruitment failures are occasionally Ocelot deflecting the blame of not being able to break a guy

He's also Mr "I like to torture people to death". So I imagine some of the losses are coming from there.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

RickVoid posted:

He's also Mr "I like to torture people to death". So I imagine some of the losses are coming from there.
Yeah, that's what "not being able to break a guy" ends up like when Ocelot is involved

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 4 :siren:

Today I show off the guard investigative AI, totally because I intended to and not because I make mistakes :shepface:

Delay again due to sickness. Pushing carts all day in California loving sucks, the wind is cold yet the sun is hot so wearing a jacket you get overheated and sweat, take off the jacket and now the new sheen of sweat covering your entire body make the wind feel even more chilly and next thing you know you can't talk for 2 weeks. Then boss retaliates by placing me on carts again for calling in sick, I get sweaty, its like a revolving door. At least my probation ended today and I finally have health insurance...

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

In case you don't figure it out later on, you have to be directly side on with the Radar to plant C4 on the side or wheel.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gideon020 posted:

In case you don't figure it out later on, you have to be directly side on with the Radar to plant C4 on the side or wheel.

Good to know, it is a bit of a nuisance though when you're worried about exposing yourself trying to get the perfect charge placement.

Though I guess it doesn't matter, you just need to be close enough :v:

Next video should come out tomorrow, I'm working the opening shift tomorrow and youtube wasn't cooperating with me tonight so the upload took much longer. In the meantime: Any goons with experience with youtube and automated claims in regards to music, do remixes of music get around youtube's automated contentid system?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 5 :siren:

Today we rescue the same man who worked on our prosthetic arm. Next video will be all the cassette tapes we've gathered so far.

Leal posted:

Next video should come out tomorrow,?

I'm just gonna stop making promises :negative:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Leal posted:

:siren: Chapter 5 :siren:

Today we rescue the same man who worked on our prosthetic arm. Next video will be all the cassette tapes we've gathered so far.
That base always gave me trouble until I found out that there is a third way in that bypasses the whole going uphill through the entire garrison and has me arrive right next to the building with the POW. :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've always preferred just shooting radios with silenced bullets, compared to blowing it up with C4 and alerting anybody left on the base something is up, if you were not doing a full clear anyways. (I have also noticed they are surprisingly resilient to hand grenades, I guess the wooden tables shield them from the blast due to hitboxes?). At least if it is not in an obviously visible high traffic area.

I just prefer the peace of mind of having the thing broken already, to having to fumble for the C4 detonator when things go loud. Especially with the AI's tendency to call HQ over things you didn't to personally. "HQ HQ, Somebody walked into a landmine! Clearly this was the work of the enemy!"

The radios in bedrooms are extra strange in that I've often seen guards on shift changes just go to sleep without caring there is a broken radio 5 feet away. But of course when I rely on that to happen, they notice :v:

EDIT: Also, if by "some things are green" you meant the Green names on the development screen, that is equipment your Motherbase soldiers are allowed to carry.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 21, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Section Z posted:

Especially with the AI's tendency to call HQ over things you didn't to personally. "HQ HQ, Somebody walked into a landmine! Clearly this was the work of the enemy!"

The enemy soldiers are just big babies, really. "HQ! I stubbed my toe! I need someone to kiss the boo boo to make it better!"

E: Sadly, Little Richard is still alive, so blasting "Long Tall Sally" from your helicopter is out of the question.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 21, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

radintorov posted:

That base always gave me trouble until I found out that there is a third way in that bypasses the whole going uphill through the entire garrison and has me arrive right next to the building with the POW. :downs:

:psyduck: drat, I never knew that one

quote:

I've always preferred just shooting radios with silenced bullets,

Maybe its cause I do it when a guard is close by but even with a suppressor guards hear the radio blowing up.

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Also, if by "some things are green" you meant the Green names on the development screen, that is equipment your Motherbase soldiers are allowed to carry.

Ack, too much Xcom so I thought "green=fast". Gonna annotate that

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

E: Sadly, Little Richard is still alive, so blasting "Long Tall Sally" from your helicopter is out of the question.

I've been trying to think of what kind of music to play, my main fear is getting picked up by content ID. Again, I don't care about monetization (as Konami claims them all anyways) I just don't want my videos getting muted/taken down/country restricted.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Try a search of public domain music? For example, Scott Joplin's The Entertainer as the Soviets are getting mowed down, or a clip of the Overture to William Tell.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's cliche, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETveS23djXM

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
It helps to unlock as much as possible, particularly camouflage once a certain gameplay mechanic becomes prevalent.

Oh yeah, be careful about your sightlines, even at night. Those guards have some drat good eyes.

Gideon020 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 22, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

How much does camo affect your visibility? Since the guards can see so much better than before, I imagine not much. LOS might be more important.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

There's also always Flight of the Valkyries

Could do Mars, Bringer of War too

Anything orchestral with a big upswing will do

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

How much does camo affect your visibility? Since the guards can see so much better than before, I imagine not much. LOS might be more important.

I've found that camo's quite useful, actually; If you're wearing something suited for low brush and scrub in afghanistan, you can lie flat in some low grass and guards will have to get within ten-ish metres before trying to investigate; closer if you're in a low spot so they can't see you very well.

In comparison, a camo that clashes with the environs, such as olive drab or jungle in a sandy area is going to get noticed; I've had some guards call in a 'We see something wierd' moment from 30+ metres away, while I'm laying prone.

In general, though, staying in low spots, moving quietly, and staying low to the ground to break line of sight is still the best way to avoid alerts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
An update not taking 2 weeks to come out? :monocle:

Catch up 1

Cassettes 1

Bonus update, I run through the missions I've done thus far and finish their secondary objectives (and point out the ones I cannot finish yet) as well as half the cassettes collected so far, all of them together was almost 45 minutes and I didn't want to do that to you guys.

E: Hey so I thought about the secondary mission things, would you guys prefer I put them all in one bunch in a separate video or to cut it into the main videos?

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 24, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Definitely cut completing secondary objectives into the main videos. Bonus updates get a ton less views, just by nature. They're necessary for things like the cassettes, but for gameplay like this try to keep it in the main videos, so more people see them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, dumb question in hindsight. Only reason why I didn't think of doing that before was because on making the LP I was going to not bother. But hey if this LP is going to only have 5 missions done thus far and its been... 5 months I should put extra effort into the LP

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

JT Jag posted:

Definitely cut completing secondary objectives into the main videos. Bonus updates get a ton less views, just by nature. They're necessary for things like the cassettes, but for gameplay like this try to keep it in the main videos, so more people see them.

Indeed. Side ops are also a huge part of the game as most of your income and resources are acquired during Free Roam (Unless you play the online mode a lot)

Oh wait we are talking about objectives. Yeah, that too.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 24, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 6 :siren:

In this mission we retrieve a weapon, and see that even the game itself is telling me stop taking so long between updates :v: E: I apologize in advance for how long this video is (41 minutes!), even speed ups and cuts only managed to trim a few minutes

Quick question for a silly easter egg: Is it possible to get the "You stink" cutscene multiple times? Say if I wanted to show off every variation of it?

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 15, 2016

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Your voice is really low compared to the game audio

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's fine. This game is worth waiting for. Now, we're getting into the good stuff anyway.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Atomikus posted:

Your voice is really low compared to the game audio

ffffffFFFFFF :shepface:

I don't know why I have such problems with audio levels. I blame Movie Maker

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Minor nitpick: the Stinger was designed to shoot down helicopters, not armored vehicles. :eng101:

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
In some cases you can actually load *TWO* extra shells over what you can fit in a shotgun's tube magazine via ghost loading. You load the tube up, rack the pump/bolt to the back, replace the shell that just got fed from the tube, slide the pump/bolt a little bit forward, push the shell on the elevator down, and then pop a shell into the chamber. Viola, +2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You got me to buy this game and i have been addicted to it ever since. DDog is absolutely the best. He is a Good Boy :3:

I haven't played Metal Gear game since MG Solid 2, so thankyou for introducing me to this masterpiece.

• Locked thread