Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009

etalian posted:

this my favorite local bar:

I live near that bar, is it really any good? I've passed it a few times on my way to ramen dojo and was curious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar

Salem Saberhagen posted:

I live near that bar, is it really any good? I've passed it a few times on my way to ramen dojo and was curious about it.

Lets be honest. There are no good bars in San Mateo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you should move to Wisconsin, OP. there are parts there where you have 3 bars for every grocery store

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Y-Hat posted:

you should move to Wisconsin, OP. there are parts there where you have 3 bars for every grocery store

basically, the pubs from everywhere else in America mysteriously moved there for reasons as yet unexplained :tinfoil:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
the terrible secret of Wisconsin

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i walked by a bar where people were drinking and watching jurassic park on a big screen with the lights way down
pretty cool imo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gary oldmans diary posted:

i walked by a bar where people were drinking and watching jurassic park on a big screen with the lights way down
pretty cool imo

i think you walked by that alamo theater place that throws you out if you talk to your friends or accidentally sneeze or whatever

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the terrible secret of Wisconsin

that's the brandy old fashioned sweet with olives actually

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
There's a bar a block away from me where people like to hang out and drink, trouble is it's next to a mini mart where I can get six beers there for the price of one at the bar. I usually go to the mart, go home then drink by myself in the dark.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Nooner posted:

Why so hostile I thought we were friends :confused: I'm just confused cause drinks aren't like that anywhere ive been other than clubs or hipster bars

every bar in SF is expensive as sh1t

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Serious answer: It's dying. There's not much a local bar can provide that can't be found elsewhere. It used to have exclusive things you couldn't find anywhere else: Large screen TV's, booze, and socializing with people who were watching the same game you were. Now everyone has a giant TV, many grocery stores have a liquor store inside them, and you can chat on the internet with people watching the same game around the world.

I work in an industry that services bars. It's been a "slow year" for a couple years now. The only places that are going to survive long term are bars in lovely areas where people don't have cars, bars that are also something else - restaurant, arcade, pool hall, etc, and bars that are just fronts for illegal activity.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
this is all Jon Taffer and Robert Irvine's fault

like most of history you can blame the large, loud, obnoxious white men

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Luvcow posted:

this is all Jon Taffer and Robert Irvine's fault

like most of history you can blame the large, loud, obnoxious white men

The majority of the bars they "save" shutter with in months, sometimes due to city officials seeing the show and realizing the renovations aren't up to code, investigate the place and shutting it down.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

every bar in SF is expensive as sh1t

Hey man, just because the bars are expensive doesn't mean SF doesn't have super gross dives.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Domus posted:

Serious answer: It's dying. There's not much a local bar can provide that can't be found elsewhere. It used to have exclusive things you couldn't find anywhere else: Large screen TV's, booze, and socializing with people who were watching the same game you were. Now everyone has a giant TV, many grocery stores have a liquor store inside them, and you can chat on the internet with people watching the same game around the world.

I work in an industry that services bars. It's been a "slow year" for a couple years now. The only places that are going to survive long term are bars in lovely areas where people don't have cars, bars that are also something else - restaurant, arcade, pool hall, etc, and bars that are just fronts for illegal activity.

People that weren't ever really cool with going to a bar no longer have much reason to. People that always enjoyed going to bars still go to them with gusto. The market may change a bit but I promise you, there will always be thousands of people drinking in bars.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Domus posted:

chatting on the internet with people watching the same game around the world is the most boring and sad thing ever in the world holy poo poo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Y-Hat posted:

Yeah as a Wisconsin resident I can confirm this. Tons of bars in small towns and I always see the same people come in. Of course I consider this to be a bad thing because I don't want to get recognized at a bar.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
Go to a college town there are lots of pubs. The county I live in only has two mixed drink licenses, and one beer license, so EVERYONE goes to one of three venues. They did finally open a liqour store, inshallah

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
My local bar is the only bar that lets you smoke inside in like an hour's drive in any given direction so it's doing all right. Although it's usually just the same twenty or so chain smoking alcoholics. Never not knowing someone at your local place is pretty cool though.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Moridin920 posted:

idk where are you

move somewhere better

My response as well

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
a bar fact: third shift bars open at 6 am in some places so you can be an alcoholic all day long and still have a local

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

you dont live in any real city unless you live in nyc hth

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The local dives here draw crowds of desperate rednecks but those people aren't fun to be around imo

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nonsense posted:

you dont live in any real city unless you live in nyc hth

Nothing says city like streets overflowing with garbage

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol if nyc is still using manual trash labor and didn't just make robot trucks like everywhere else has been using for 20 years.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What do you mean "if"?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Do people talk about how crack houses aren't as good as crack houses used to be?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

One by one every "local pub" will be bought and transformed into a millennial den with lots of wood with sheet metal screwed onto it and super dim $8 light bulbs hanging prominently all over the place. Sorry

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Nothing says city like streets overflowing with garbage

Small price for literally everything else

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Is it a wisconsin/upper midwest thing to have neighborhoods that are house/house/house/bar/house/factory/house going down the street?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Skeleton Ape posted:

One by one every "local pub" will be bought and transformed into a millennial den with lots of wood with sheet metal screwed onto it and super dim $8 light bulbs hanging prominently all over the place. Sorry

good.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The majority of the bars they "save" shutter with in months, sometimes due to city officials seeing the show and realizing the renovations aren't up to code, investigate the place and shutting it down.

I always assumed basically all the bars they saved ended up closing just because without the cameras there the barely functional alcoholic owners and long pouring bartenders went right back to doing exactly what ruined the business in the first place

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm from rural california but there's always at least 15 people in all 3 of the town's bars from opening to closing regardless of day. and its not usually old drunk hobos buying beer with their VA disability, either.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There's a local pub near me and it's loving garbage; its filled with 4 - 5 of the same old men every day, starting their drinking day at 11AM, if anyone they don't know gets too close to the bar they start snarling and foaming at the mouth. Its just a big good 'ol boys' club and it stinks, so please, local pubs, please die out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

a bone to pick posted:

There's a local pub near me and it's loving garbage; its filled with 4 - 5 of the same old men every day, starting their drinking day at 11AM, if anyone they don't know gets too close to the bar they start snarling and foaming at the mouth. Its just a big good 'ol boys' club and it stinks, so please, local pubs, please die out.

Stop being a pussy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

notZaar posted:

Yeah as a Wisconsin resident I can confirm this. Tons of bars in small towns and I always see the same people come in. Of course I consider this to be a bad thing because I don't want to get recognized at a bar.

Yeah.... so at "my" local bar in Wisconsin I don't even have to order. They see me and start pouring a massive beer. Sometimes the owner will sit down at the bar and have dinner with me and my friend while we shoot the poo poo.

I saw Lewis Black at Summerfest in Milwaukee years ago and he did that bit that was posted. For some reason it was very small tent and we were all just standing around him on tiny stage. I was maybe 10 feet from him and the crowd LOVED him calling us alcoholic fuckers. He did note how polite Wisconinites are though. :unsmith:

Also this. The statistics. Drinking deeply ingrained in Wisconsin's culture :smith:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I have never heard an American speak the word "pub" out loud unless it was preceded by "Irish" or followed by "crawl".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
If anything the trend on bars that I have noticed is that bars tend to fall into complacency after being around for a while. So, over the years certain things drop off, and in an effort to keep the regular customers coming back they stop changing anything. Eventually, it's mostly just the regular customers that are there every day.

Case in point, the bar I go to, most evenings would be literally the same 6 people after 7, and showing up on a Wednesday night after 9, there was likely only one or two other people in there. New owners came in a few years ago, refreshed the menu, added craft beers, brought live music in on Wednesday nights, cleaned and repaired the place, and made a bunch of other changes, now it's packed most nights of the week.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Mine got shutdown by an unlicensed jukebox. Was thus purchased by a foreign group who are actually making repairs. Not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

exmorte posted:

My local bar is the only bar that lets you smoke inside in like an hour's drive in any given direction so it's doing all right. Although it's usually just the same twenty or so chain smoking alcoholics. Never not knowing someone at your local place is pretty cool though.

The no smoking thing has really hurt locals too. The kind of people who would go to a local are often the kind of people who smoke or at least don't care if others do. The Applebee's and gastropub people are the non-smokers, so that kind of place wasn't hit as hard with all the bans.

• Locked thread