Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Why haven't we run a second game? It sounds like fun.

Because I had an idea based on the novel W by Georges Perec, however it's actually a very somber novel and the reason for the absurdity is all the more depressing, so I figure Calvinball would be a better flavor.

That'd be really cool! The main problem with the game was that merk had to keep up with practically a billion rules and zones and points. He ended up doing a smart thing and limiting the number of rules a person could make a day, which streamlined it. Maybe starting off with that extra first rule would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Once I'm more stable and there's more interest, I might do something similar, maybe Dixit Mafia.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Why haven't we run a second game? It sounds like fun.

Because I had an idea based on the novel W by Georges Perec, however it's actually a very somber novel and the reason for the absurdity is all the more depressing, so I figure Calvinball would be a better flavor.

Having a mod have to adjudicate everything was the bottleneck. merk did excellently, but with the creating and revoking of rules and rules with interplay it became a monster. Having some way to ahve less need for direct mod interaction would have helped. Self policing maybe?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Grandicap posted:

Having a mod have to adjudicate everything was the bottleneck. merk did excellently, but with the creating and revoking of rules and rules with interplay it became a monster. Having some way to ahve less need for direct mod interaction would have helped. Self policing maybe?

Self policing MAY work. Especially if you add a prison zone if people break that rule or something. I may actually read the thread to game I haven't played.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

I think its still new enough to where archives arent needed, I was able to pull it up without archives.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Also calvinball was my absolute favorite game to read ever.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Podima, you should totally be a replacement for my game. Also you should offer to be a replacement for the soldiers game. Unless you're already one of those evil Trojans.

I already had to replace out of LM's game just last week because work went bonkers, and I'm not going to sign up/replace into any other games until I know I can dedicate the time to them without having to punk out again. :shobon: But thank you for the invite!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Looking for replacements for WoWfia. It's late enough that I'd really rather not modkill people.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I wonder if the rapidly-spiraling need for replacements in nearly every game is something where we should just start turning down all requests and then modkilling people for not posting. Games don't fill up, then by the time they do, people's schedules are hosed, so they need to replace out...I dunno. I'm just spitballing.

I do think we don't modkill enough, though. I took some time last night, in preparation for setting up my next game, to retroactively do a moddoc for the first game I ever ran, which ended up being slightly more difficult than expected, since I deleted most of the PMs from that game. In that game, I had a player who just up and vanished come day three. They got sacked at nightfall and the game continued just fine. What really almost derailed it was Christmas.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No, what we need to do is start blacklisting people who regularly need replacing without giving a good reason.

Have we ever had a game of Quantum Mafia here? I have the tools and would be interested in giving it a go.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jedit posted:

No, what we need to do is start blacklisting people who regularly need replacing without giving a good reason.

Have we ever had a game of Quantum Mafia here? I have the tools and would be interested in giving it a go.

pretty wolfy imo

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Blacklisting is mean, just make games with the caveat that you're RNGing roles and if you don't get one whelp and just magically slide the bottom of the pile s31's way

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
run it jedit

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
blacklisting is bad.

Quantum Mafia looks horrible, so I'm in.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Blacklisting is mean, just make games with the caveat that you're RNGing roles and if you don't get one whelp and just magically slide the bottom of the pile s31's way

I legitimately love not having a role.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

I wonder if the rapidly-spiraling need for replacements in nearly every game is something where we should just start turning down all requests and then modkilling people for not posting. Games don't fill up, then by the time they do, people's schedules are hosed, so they need to replace out...I dunno. I'm just spitballing.

I do think we don't modkill enough, though. I took some time last night, in preparation for setting up my next game, to retroactively do a moddoc for the first game I ever ran, which ended up being slightly more difficult than expected, since I deleted most of the PMs from that game. In that game, I had a player who just up and vanished come day three. They got sacked at nightfall and the game continued just fine. What really almost derailed it was Christmas.

Unrelated, I saw Lindsey, Stevie and Christine last night.
Related, Hal I can't believe you killed me.

Edit: Also I agree. Just modkill relentlessly and shorten deadlines to promote activity.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 22, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

blacklisting is bad.

Quantum Mafia looks horrible, so I'm in.

OK, I'll throw up an OP tomorrow some time when I have more clarity to explain the rules. It's not your regular Mafia and there's a lot less to track, so it can probably run alongside the number of active games in progress.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is A... It's a mafia game where I let you guys decide what role everyone is. Come join!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Quantum Mafia is now accepting signups. Everyone is guaranteed to be on the team they want to be on!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Quantum Mafia has enough players to start, but can always use more. Signups will remain open until 6pm UK time on Sunday.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sigh ... I need a replacement for Quantum Mafia - Rarity broke her wrist and needs to sub out. Still Night 0, nothing done yet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jedit posted:

Sigh ... I need a replacement for Quantum Mafia - Rarity broke her wrist and needs to sub out. Still Night 0, nothing done yet.

Sorry! I hope it goes well, it sounds like an awesome concept!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

World of Warcraft Mafia has ended with a Town Victory.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Looking for someone to review a setup for balance reasons. It will be a semi-CYOR game with Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup flavour.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I'll do it Sam.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Townies, come out to playyy-ayyy

Danger Zone, an Archer-themed mafia game for 20ish people, is now recruiting!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
What's everyone's favorite mid-size (13 to 17 people) setup? I want to run Epsilon Plus's Burgandy 1996 Buick Park Avenue Mafia to commemmorate my lovely car, since it has become too expensive to maintain and I need to get a new one.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am going to open a Soldiers game TBA January 1st (as soon as :siren: Secret Santa 2015 :siren: winds down). It'll have FIFTY PLAYERS GOSH GOLLY HUGE GAME OMG. 25 players per thread. I consider it a spiritual successor to Tao's Fantasy World at War game (since Tao helped me design this game and provided a lot of help and advice). Only, since I'll be modding it, it'll actually finish (:v:).

I would like a comod for it if only to manage a second thread by posting votecounts and noticing/prodding lurkers in it. This is an easy job, the biggest sacrifice will be being unable to play the game since it's sure to be a lot of fun. PM me if you are interested. This position may be compensated depending on how intense the game plays out and how well you comod.

The background flavor and the official game announcement is in the following post.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Today it may seem impossible to imagine a world where the Empire of Arrentia didn't stretch from the Chue Seas in the west to the edges of Cazan in the east, where millions of people of hundreds of cultures and languages all live commonly and relatively peaceably under one crown, where the beasts of the air and sea are tamed and where petty tyrants and river kings are extinct. But even just a few centuries ago things were very, very different. Arrentia was simply one state among many, vying for power along the shores of the Morze.

Arrentia expanded most rapidly during the reign of Queen Krelo the Just: uniting with the Kingdom of Mereaux by marriage; subjugating the rocky hills and desolate valleys of Bishadh; resolving the anathemas with the Kermish matriarchates; conquering the Nemchek and pushing Her Imperial Legions deep into the woods and tundra of Ruzelia; purchasing the Republics of Rubirge and Rossetia and building a merchant empire spanning every corner of the Morze; and playing queenmaker to the throne of Kirane.

Knowing how history played out, it is easy to think all her victories were inevitable, that it was assured that one by one the nations of the world would submit to Arrentish legions. But in life nothing is for certain, as even the tiniest variable can have far-reaching consequences. There is an old Mereaux expression that goes: "for the want of a nail, a queendom may be lost." Every soldier at every battle, from the mightiest general to the lowliest scout, plays a part in its outcome, and even a nobody from the tiniest village can find themselves the savior of a nation (or maybe the butcher of one).

A good example is with the Nemchek Campaign led by Krelo's eldest daughter Jocasta. Krelo ordered her daughter into the black woods of Nemchy to subdue the barbarians there, and entrusted her with her elite Praetorienne Guard. When Jocasta arrived, however, she found the tribes had organized themselves under the dark wizard Qal into a powerful army, bringing with them many of Arrentia's enemies as their allies. What followed was the stuff of legends: epic battles of good and evil, sword and sorcery clashing into spark and flame, games of intrigue and spycraft as a deceit unraveled, and the hopes of millions put to the test as two of history's finest warriors at their height of power and strength met face to face. Indeed, the Conquest of Qal was one of the most exciting moments in history whose outcome would echo for millennia to come.

vs.

COMING JANUARY 1ST 2016

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 2, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

What's everyone's favorite mid-size (13 to 17 people) setup? I want to run Epsilon Plus's Burgandy 1996 Buick Park Avenue Mafia to commemmorate my lovely car, since it has become too expensive to maintain and I need to get a new one.

I like rolling C9++ until something not completely moronic comes up.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The setup Lumpen used for slack mafia 2 was solid and fun. I think he posted it earlier in the thread and called it the nailbiter.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ecco I didn't read that post at all but those are the art for some magic cards so I'm in

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SirSamVimes posted:

The setup Lumpen used for slack mafia 2 was solid and fun. I think he posted it earlier in the thread and called it the nailbiter.

Yeah, I think if/when I get around to trying my hand at running Mafia I might give that one a try. It seemed nifty!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm having an issue with votefinder. On the votecount tab, it's stuck on unresolved votes. If I choose any option from the dropdown, nothing happens. I've hit update and it will work for that instance, but if I go back to the webpage later it will be stuck on the unresolved votes again.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
POPCON: Creative Writing Edition

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kashuno posted:

I'm having an issue with votefinder. On the votecount tab, it's stuck on unresolved votes. If I choose any option from the dropdown, nothing happens. I've hit update and it will work for that instance, but if I go back to the webpage later it will be stuck on the unresolved votes again.

you killed mafia. Congrats

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Huh, votefinder is broken now and I can mess with it anymore. Thanks

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I blame JakeP for his bad vote

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Captain Foo posted:

you killed mafia. Congrats

A Life Poorly Wasted: The Story of Forums Mafia