Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Podima posted:

Reading old games, I assumed this was so people could share the burden of manual vote tracking responsibilities pre-votefinder?

I think it also had something to do with having someone available at all hours to make mod announcements (e.g. "shut the gently caress up, the hammer is down") when players and mods were in very different timezones. People are better at policing themselves these days, or at least listening to very simple instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

I wonder if there could be a postpone mechanic. If the majority of people don't feel confident enough to lynch anyone you could vote to postpone it to the next day, where now you have to lynch two people. Whether it'd be double plurality or just hammer, day continues until second hammer, I'm not sure. Also I'd probably limit it to just one per game. I dunno, just throwing ideas out.

Here's another idea: a game where if there's a no lynch, everyone becomes Hated until there is a lynch. Option A: stack levels of Hated, not that you'd really need to. Option B: have only people who didn't vote, or who voted for the lynch leader, become Hated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

No, what we need to do is start blacklisting people who regularly need replacing without giving a good reason.

Have we ever had a game of Quantum Mafia here? I have the tools and would be interested in giving it a go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

blacklisting is bad.

Quantum Mafia looks horrible, so I'm in.

OK, I'll throw up an OP tomorrow some time when I have more clarity to explain the rules. It's not your regular Mafia and there's a lot less to track, so it can probably run alongside the number of active games in progress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Quantum Mafia is now accepting signups. Everyone is guaranteed to be on the team they want to be on!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Quantum Mafia has enough players to start, but can always use more. Signups will remain open until 6pm UK time on Sunday.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sigh ... I need a replacement for Quantum Mafia - Rarity broke her wrist and needs to sub out. Still Night 0, nothing done yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I'm thinking about running a play-by-post email thread for some friends who've gotten into ON:UW. What's a good selection of roles for about 10 people who will be familiar with ON:UW's roles, but not super complicated?

Don't play with Doppelganger. Otherwise, anything goes. Ten is the maximum number of players so you'll need to use almost everything if you only have the base game. If you have Daybreak, then leave out Curator, PI, Revealer, Bodyguard and Village Idiot.

Also, whatever setup you play make sure you include: either the Seer or the Witch; the Robber; the Tanner; the Troublemaker; and the Insomniac.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

What do you think the proper town/scum balance is for a Role Madness game? Does 4:1 sound awful? Too little or too much?

When I do role madness I usually do it as 13 players with three scum. Town usually has a slight edge, but the scum need to be unlucky too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Come and play in Opopanax's final game!

Your final game? What's happening?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Would anyone be interested in trying a game of Tontine? It's a Mafia-like similar to Cash and Guns but faster and with less complications.

In summary: Everyone is trying to be the last survivor of a group to grab up to four bags of money (worth $3-5) in each round. Eliminations are decided by a blind vote that can't be changed once submitted. Once everyone has voted the mod reveals the votes, and every player with the most votes is eliminated - unless they chose to set an ambush instead of voting, in which case they survive and get a free kill on someone who voted for them. Every player who didn't vote with a majority is eliminated, and everyone who set an ambush but wasn't an elimination target is also eliminated. If everyone dies, the round restarts. If one player is left, he gets all four bags. If two players are left, they have to choose whether to share the bags, grab a single bag and run, or try to steal all four bags. However, if both players try to steal they both get nothing and every other player gets a bag. Then everyone comes back to life and a new round begins. Repeat until someone has $25 after a round, upon which the game ends and the person with the most money wins.

If we did play I'd be looking for 7-12 players and running to 24 hour deadlines. PMs are absolutely essential.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

That's what I'm aiming for. I'm just wondering whether the gimmick of death millers is more fun than frustrating? I think it looks fun, but as the creator I am biased.

I would never want to play a game with a Death Miller in it. There's no kind of fun involved. And your setup is worse because no flip can ever be trusted. Lynches may as well be random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Podima posted:

Instead of just crossposting, let me ask - does anyone follow this thread that does NOT follow the general Mafia discussion thread?

I stopped reading the general thread entirely when it became 96% spammed shitposts. Has anything changed?