Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Look Under The Rock posted:

I'd be interested to see a mechanic based on petitioning gods, who would be players outside of the game with boons to grant and alignments/win conditions but no knowledge of who has which role and no ability to post within the thread. They can only influence the outcome of the game by privately granting boons that they are asked for publicly; for instance, one god might get to decide what the order of operations for night actions will be, one might grant a one-shot ability to beg a boon privately instead of needing to ask it in thread, one might give a token that empowers or complicates existing role abilities.

Any thoughts on this?

Have you read my mafiathoughts.doc? I have this very same idea noted down somewhere. I eventually gave it up when I realized I had no where near the experience to try to balance such a game. My idea ranged across three players who affected it via good vs. neutral vs. chaotic (like D&D alignments). In the end though, I felt it wouldn't be particular fun for the non-god players and those actions could just as easily be done in a more fair way by the mod themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

wall monitor posted:

I'm thinking about getting back into Mafia now that my life is a bit less busy (among other things, i bought and moved into a house). I wanted to get initial thoughts on a setup I'd been thinking about running...

Shovel Knight Mafia
9-12ish players
Regular town/scum split (1 scum per 2.5 town?)
Instead of voting, there is a dueling mechanic. Anyone can challenge someone to a duel, at which point a vote between the two starts. Whoever gets a majority of votes or :redhammer: gets lynched, and this triggers night phase as usual.
People might have powers (themed as each Knight's signature magic weapon) that influence the dueling mechanic... not sure if the dueling mechanic is too complex already or not though.

Thoughts?

The duel thing should work fine. It sounds a bit like the mechanic in a temple game. I think the problem that would arise is if you get two townie dueling and scum just checking out seeing as they're not in harm's way.

Captain Foo posted:

please post the mafiathoughts.doc

It was known as Mafia Game Ideas. I had some other notes tossed here and there based on certain things. My Gods idea was a cult recruiter game with various competing cults. Most of my ideas were based heavily on the flavor of what I wanted to theme the game around, which would make for heavily imbalanced games, especially considering that I'm bad at balancing to begin with.

Take for example my idea for Old Man and the Sea. It would have a normal game featuring fish and sharks as town and scum respectively. The Old Man was going to be a 3p lyncher whose target was the 3p survivor Marlin. You can see how messy that can get. I have a bunch of dumb ideas like that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Look Under The Rock posted:

I'm gonna work on the gods setup. It should be far less of a nightmare than the Gossip Girl setup I've been avoiding looking at again.

Anyone care to suggest flavor? Doesn't have to be divine flavored. I'll make it work if I think it's good.

Rodents who worship different types of cheese.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kashuno posted:

This came up in a recent game, and I'm kinda curious about the thought behind it as no one seemed to feel it was weird but me. What is the point of claiming, but not full claiming, in some contexts? We had a player claim they knew, undoubtedly, that a player was scum but they would not reveal their actual role. Claiming you know someone will for sure flip scum seems like a great way to get yourself targeted for the NK, so why not fullclaim then and there?

Expanding from this when claiming why are not allowed to explicitly copy paste our mod given role? Everyone just types it or says it directly enough even when para-phrasing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

An Idea for an experimental game:

Everyone is a Survivor: The way it works is that you take, say 9 players, 7 town and 2 scum. Everyone's vanilla and there is no night/nk. If the town mis-executes alignments are re-rolled. The winners are the last two players who can't vote one another out. The game can also end in a town victory if town successfully executes the two scum in a row, since if the first execution is successful then the alignments won't be re-rolled.

While it may seem that every day is D1 in fact the player will start to pick up differences in the D1 behavior of each player. At least I'd like to think so. I think it could be fun to see people trying harder to convince others not to vote them, with less effort being made to get the right vote.

Some fears: it may just end up being a glorified popularity contest with players just abritrarily choosing who to vote out as long as it isn't themselves. Also I'm not so sure what to do in the case of a successful execution followed by a mis-execution. Either I re-align with a 2nd scum again or the game just ends if they manage to catch the 2nd scum position on the future re-roll.s Also in the case of 2 scum and 2 town I can either just say scum won, but I'd rather then make it 3 v 1 until the game is whittled down.

I'd probably go with the latter in both situations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That does make more sense.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think 2v2 should be a scum victory. You have a town victory condition, but not a scum one. It's basically just a formality, anyways, at that point. Two scum left alive, they control the dunk. First town to vote another townie loses the game, basically.

The thing there is that it's just chance whomever gets scum in the 2v2 situation, even if that's the case throughout the whole game. At the worst I could grant the scum-team victory and then continue running it with those 4 last players. In the same vein that can be done for every 'town' victory that occurs on the way to get there. Heck if you want to keep track every successful execution can grant a point for town and every mis-execution can grant half a point (since there'll be so many more) to scum. Total points wins at the end.

But even then no one is wholly scum or town and the real goal is to be the last two people surviving.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

But yeah there's not much more to it than that. If there's genuine interest in trying out such a thing I'd be happy to set it up for sign ups on Friday and get it going by next Monday. I'm still worried it may just degenerate into a popularity contest, but I figure if our general mafia games don't devolve into that then it should be ok.

Also I can't read it since it's been archived, but how exactly did Calvinball work? It gets referenced a lot and I just imagine it involves everyone making up rules (though different ones) up on a whim and running with it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yes there'd still be just one scum. But you're right the name is just a label. The key would ideally be that people aren't looking for necessarily 'scummy' behavior but rather descrepancies between the ways people post when they were town as opposed to when they roll scum. Also since in the end everyone is in some sense playing against one another it's both a case of being more persuasive than everyone else and convincing them why you shouldn't die. If you can prove yourself 'town' then you can move closer to one of the town victories.

But I get why you think it all seems kinda hollow.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Eight Dollars posted:

It's basically what you're imagining with people creating rules and zones and throwing balls and voting.

It eventually lead to whaling voyages, diplomatic ties, detective novels, shop deals, bone zones, Cthulu worship and a final Phoenix Wright-style trial with a twist at the end I can't spoil.

Why haven't we run a second game? It sounds like fun.

Because I had an idea based on the novel W by Georges Perec, however it's actually a very somber novel and the reason for the absurdity is all the more depressing, so I figure Calvinball would be a better flavor.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Grandicap posted:

Having a mod have to adjudicate everything was the bottleneck. merk did excellently, but with the creating and revoking of rules and rules with interplay it became a monster. Having some way to ahve less need for direct mod interaction would have helped. Self policing maybe?

Self policing MAY work. Especially if you add a prison zone if people break that rule or something. I may actually read the thread to game I haven't played.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Flying Leatherman posted:

yep, definitely would want to start it no earlier than, like, next Friday or the following Monday (since weekends seem to be a little slow sometimes). I just want to get the setup straightened out if I can before then. Certainly don't want to detract from anyone's awesome soldiers experience (I will be following that game religiously myself, it looks amazing)

You should keep an eye out for replacements. I don't want to jinx the thing, but they're common than we'd like and could easily give you a chance to sign up for the game sooner or later.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well I'm a dope. Turns out I had a copy of Shadowrun Returns sitting in my inventory from a gift train way back when.

Anyone who wants a copy of Shadowrun Returns please either PM me your steam ID or just quote this with it posted. Sorry for the trouble!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kashuno posted:

I think it was Tomm? who tried to run a game where one role was the main gimmick and it got killed d1 and things were messed up from there. IMO start with what kind of game you'd like to run, think of 3-5 roles, and branch from there. the reason you see so many mafia games that are based on other forms of media is because it really makes it easy to let the flavor lend a direction (although not dictate) roles

This got me in trouble once or twice when I was making games. What I ended up doing was basing roles on the flavor and then just randomizing it. Even if it resulted in completely mis-matched roles and flavor it definitely prevented that nasty flavor argument situation. That or come up with good fake claims.