Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

other jargon that may be helpful to new players: the "flip" is when a player dies and the mod reveals their alignment. such a player is said to be "flipped." This often the only way alignment is truly confirmed. "Claim" is word that has specific meaning in a game, it means to identify what your own role is. A "softclaim" is an allusion to having a role, a "hardclaim" is specifically saying that you have a role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rarity posted:

Perhaps a vocab section in the OP would be useful?

Probably!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

How would you feel about some sort of ambiguous mod announcement when it happened, perhaps tied into flavor? This would indicate that something happened to that player, but not necessarily what.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

I think the wiki covers most common vocab really well, and I suspect Foo just wanted to make a first post without saying "first post yeah woo."

i did want to firstpost but i was also addressing a couple of things that came up in the previous game i played, which had a bunch of new players in it!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

Agreed, though I think balance is a separate (but intimately related) issue to "is it fun for the player." Though something like this:

at a glance seems like a great way for it to be fun for nobody and super unbalanced.

People are hit or miss whether they read flavor at all. Some people skip over it and just look at the bolded results (even if the flavor tells a totally different story). Others read every word and then extrapolate a massive (incorrect) vision of the setup from it. That might be good in general re: balancing but it'd need something more consistently reliable I think.

==

oh cool! then I am (as we all already knew) just a jerk.

I was thinking a bolded flavor thing, e.g. i had a 1-shot deathproof player in one of my games; when that player otherwise would have died, the thread got the notice e.g. EccoRaven was gravely wounded Night 2!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

So would the town be told "Captain Foo was visited by Hal Incandenza" the next day or something? And then if/when Hal dies and flips cult recruiter the town has their work cut out for them?

perhaps, or something less direct, like EccoRaven had an unusual encounter! Just something that can be pointed to as an indicator that something happened, to avoid

Asiina posted:

A specific example I can only sorta remember is Ernie being town and changing to scum, but I could not believe that scum Ernie would behave a certain way D1 and D2, and I was right, since he wasn't scum then.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tremendous Taste posted:

Iliad mafia imo

i like that flavor

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Have you read my mafiathoughts.doc? I have this very same idea noted down somewhere. I eventually gave it up when I realized I had no where near the experience to try to balance such a game. My idea ranged across three players who affected it via good vs. neutral vs. chaotic (like D&D alignments). In the end though, I felt it wouldn't be particular fun for the non-god players and those actions could just as easily be done in a more fair way by the mod themselves.

please post the mafiathoughts.doc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hello would anyone like to take a look at a second draft of a setup for me so I can run a game soon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The duel thing should work fine. It sounds a bit like the mechanic in a temple game. I think the problem that would arise is if you get two townie dueling and scum just checking out seeing as they're not in harm's way.

It was known as Mafia Game Ideas. I had some other notes tossed here and there based on certain things. My Gods idea was a cult recruiter game with various competing cults. Most of my ideas were based heavily on the flavor of what I wanted to theme the game around, which would make for heavily imbalanced games, especially considering that I'm bad at balancing to begin with.

Take for example my idea for Old Man and the Sea. It would have a normal game featuring fish and sharks as town and scum respectively. The Old Man was going to be a 3p lyncher whose target was the 3p survivor Marlin. You can see how messy that can get. I have a bunch of dumb ideas like that.

oh, i gotcha

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kashuno posted:

This came up in a recent game, and I'm kinda curious about the thought behind it as no one seemed to feel it was weird but me. What is the point of claiming, but not full claiming, in some contexts? We had a player claim they knew, undoubtedly, that a player was scum but they would not reveal their actual role. Claiming you know someone will for sure flip scum seems like a great way to get yourself targeted for the NK, so why not fullclaim then and there?

Typically, to obscure how you know. Maybe you're a tracker, or a watcher, who spotted the previous NK. Maybe you're a Cop. Maybe you received a message. Maybe your masonbuddy is a cop. Maybe you're bluffing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I could run BroFia II or Wizard Mafia II, both of those games have straightforward setups, good flavor, and a little more going on than a basic F11. Both were originally closed-setup, but it's probably okay to recycle them if it's all new players (Both in general or to the setup)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

I could run BroFia II or Wizard Mafia II, both of those games have straightforward setups, good flavor, and a little more going on than a basic F11. Both were originally closed-setup, but it's probably okay to recycle them if it's all new players (Both in general or to the setup)

Ok i'm putting together Wizard Mafia II right now, stay tuned

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Ok i'm putting together Wizard Mafia II right now, stay tuned

Wizards Mafia II, a game for 13, is now open! I'd like to invite newer players. This game is not complicated, but there is a little bit more going on than e.g. a C9. Come play!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if only there was a game queue or something

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

I mean yeah but come on I've been talking for a while about opening a game today.

:rip:

idk what to tell you i guess

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Asiina posted:

I wonder if there could be a postpone mechanic. If the majority of people don't feel confident enough to lynch anyone you could vote to postpone it to the next day, where now you have to lynch two people. Whether it'd be double plurality or just hammer, day continues until second hammer, I'm not sure. Also I'd probably limit it to just one per game. I dunno, just throwing ideas out.

this is an interesting idea but i feel it will be unlikely to be used given our reliance on the (extremely excellent) votefinder

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rarity posted:

I totally agree with this. If you're convinced that someone is town then don't vote to lynch them. It's better to no lynch than lynch town and at the end of the day you're not the only person who can drop the hammer so you're only responsible for what you do. Even though it sometimes bites me in the rear end I'm still willing to take a stand to protect someone.

This is most commonly a problem on D1, imo, and it's very unlikely to be strongly convinced of anything D1 to make no-lynch the better option

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've got some good roles in my back pocket, but I never want to talk about them until they've seen play because I think some roles benefit from surprise.

agreedo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DuckHuntDog posted:

Where does the initial feed of text come from? Outside threads?

jerkcity.txt

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SirSamVimes posted:

So I'm running a game and I discovered one of the players doesn't have PMs. Should I get another means of contact and work around it, or just replace them?

I've used e-mail.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WIZARDS MAFIA II has ended!

* [http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744083 Wizards Mafia II: Return to the Ivory Tower] - Evil (Mafia) victory. Hosted by Captain Foo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kashuno posted:

I'm having an issue with votefinder. On the votecount tab, it's stuck on unresolved votes. If I choose any option from the dropdown, nothing happens. I've hit update and it will work for that instance, but if I go back to the webpage later it will be stuck on the unresolved votes again.

you killed mafia. Congrats

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JERKCITY II

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JERKCITY II HAS ENDED IN A FLAWLESS SCUM VICTORY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cats! for 9, new player friendly and welcome, is now open!