Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

(buy it here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/383980/)

Rivals of Aether is a "Platform Fighter" (Smash and Friends) that's available on Steam Early Access right now. It's very similar to Smash. Your goal is to rack up damage on your opponents, who get knocked back further as they get more damage and can hold a direction to change the direction they get thrown by attacks, until you can land a hit that's big enough to knock them out of the stage. It's got the same basic control scheme as Smash, with attacks requiring only 1 button and a direction, but there are key differences that establish it as a unique game:

Attacking out of air dodge
In this game, like Melee, you have a directional airdodge that you can use once per airtime. Also, like in Melee, you can wavedash by airdodging diagonally towards the ground. Unlike in Melee, however, you are not helpless after your airdodge. In fact, airdodging into attacks is a very important part of playing. I'm sure you can envision the setups that could happen if you were able to act out of airdodge in Smash.

No throws
Smash has a lot of very powerful strategies involving followups from grab. In this game, however, you cannot throw your opponent. You have to attack with attacks. But what do you do when they're blocking? That leads me to my next point...

Don't shield, parry!
When you press the dodge button on the ground, you attempt to parry an incoming attack. If you land the parry, one of two things will happen. If the attack was a projectile, you reflect the projectile the direction it came form. If the attack was a melee attack, you freeze your opponent for one second, which is a really long time in this game. There's great visual communication so you know exactly what happened, and it's a much bigger payoff than reading a shield and going for the throw.

Don't ledge grab, wall jump!
Recovery mechanics in this game are fun. After you use your up-B, you're falling helplessly. But if you make it to the wall under the stage, you can wall jump once and go for another up-B. It introduces different kinds of ledge recovery mixups. Are you gonna try to get onto the stage immediately? Are you gonna bait them to try to punish your recovery and hit them before they can hit you? Are you gonna accidentally airdodge the wrong way after wall-jumping? Who knows?

Also, the game has a cast of all-new characters. They're all unique and so far they seem pretty balanced against each other.

Forsburn

Forsburn's goal is to confuse the opponent and get big combos by ruining their attempts to escape. He spews smoke, clones himself (which works great when you're behind his smoke, btw), and can turn the opponent around with his smash attacks. His attacks are good at chaining into each other, and his if he's got his decoy out he can use him to extend combos.

Zetterburn

Zetterburn is a cross between Fox and Wolf, and he's the Mario of this game. His gimmick is that he has several moves that can briefly light your opponent on fire for residual damage and increased knockback. That's not all he has, though. He has a fireball game, excellent dash-attack-into-dash-attack strings, a good run speed, and smashes that kill super-early when charged.

Wrastor

Wrastor is a bird! He has 4 jumps, can smash in the air (yay!) but only in the air (which is fine), and has the ability to leave air streams on screen that provide a temporary boost of speed. Imagine Jigglypuff mixed with Falco.

Maypul

The most important mechanic to understand for Maypul is her mark. Her neutral and side B attacks put an icon on your opponent. Her up B teleports her to the mark, and her down B traps them if they walk through it. She's got all kinds of fun setups; I played a person who planted a trap on a platform and knocked me to the trap from the floor of the stage. Also she's got an aerial attack that sprouts from the ground. She's tricky and fun and I wish I weren't garbage with her.

Kragg

Kragg a rock-elemental stag beetle. He's heavy and strong, but he's got good stage control too. He can lay rocks that he can break to send gravel flying, and he has a great up-B. He creates a pillar of stone reaching from the bottom of the screen to his current location, and it stays around until it gets attacked. He can use it for wallbounce combos and to scoop an opponent to his current location, at the top of the screen, to kill off the top with an up-air. Lots of people play him, he seems really good.

Orcane

Orcane is goofy. His mechanic is a puddle. The puddle is an attack when it comes out, and it serves 3 purposes. First, it's the exit point for his up-B, regardless of where Orcane is when he executes it, which makes that move good for offense or recovery. Second, it functions like a trap. Third, it increases the range, damage, and knockback of his smashes. He's got screen carry combos and is a quadrupedal whale.

The online is lag-free most of the time and there are lots of people playing. The game feels good, the controls make sense, and once you get the hang of recovering and remember that this is not Smash Bros, you can focus on getting better at your character.

Add me! Fight me! Let's get good at this game.
Steam Id: HaosimanMaxiu

it is fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i haven't looked at videos but the sprites look really cool

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I think this game looks cool. I hope it does well.

What they really need is a heavy-hitter who's also really good in the air, similar to Dedede.

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 25, 2015

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Glad to see game studios pandering to the furry demographic these days.

• Locked thread