Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

With the changing seasons brings a change in the meals we may choose to make. Out are your summery slaws and grilled everythings. In comes your soups and your squashes and suchnots. How do you guys mark the passage into Fall with food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
I think it would be cool and good if we all talked about how we're going to have Turkey on thanksgiving, which will be a shocking revelation for many, I'm sure

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a sucker for cranberry sauce so I usually make some. It's not *too* expensive (cranberries can get pricey depending on if you get fresh or frozen - I don't think it matters really just defrost first obv) and it is delicious.

It's also an easy way to impress people at Thanksgiving because everyone gets the local store deli stuff at best and the canned poo poo at worst so if you bring some great homemade stuff they'll all be 'woah dude!'

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Desetr Eagle posted:

I think it would be cool and good if we all talked about how we're going to have Turkey on thanksgiving, which will be a shocking revelation for many, I'm sure

You know what? I'm not. I will no longer be a slave to Big Turkey. I'm going to smoke a ham.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
I like to buy chicken and tell my guests its turkey just so I can pick out the idiots

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I love fall for the squashes and would be super interested in hearing some new takes on them.

Typically I just do the super standard roast butternut squash of splitting it, rubbing it down with some butter and then some fresh cracked pepper and a little bit of salt, then pop that sucker in the oven for about an hour or until its soft and thats all there is too it! Super easy and super delicious.

For spaghetti squash I like to just get a little bit of jarred tomato sauce and cook up some turkey sausage in it to top the squash, hardly even "cooking" so any tips or recipes would be super appreciated!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've never really liked roast hams. Even at Christmas.

Just not a fan idk.

Butternut squash is good though.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

What's an equally festive alternative to pumpkin pie. I hate it but I'm not sure why, maybe a texture thing? Not a big pumpkin fan in general

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

social vegan posted:

What's an equally festive alternative to pumpkin pie. I hate it but I'm not sure why, maybe a texture thing? Not a big pumpkin fan in general

Baking a cake and putting a shitload of those trick candles on it?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Desetr Eagle posted:

Baking a cake and putting a shitload of those trick candles on it?

this sounds like an internet troll if i've ever seen one. v unimpressed when i'm looking for some real advice

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

grillin a pumpkin atm, lined it with pork ribs in case the pumpkin tastes like poo poo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Macasaurus posted:

grillin a pumpkin atm, lined it with pork ribs in case the pumpkin tastes like poo poo

rear end to Mouth??? how does that even work????

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Nooner posted:

I love fall for the squashes and would be super interested in hearing some new takes on them.

Turmeric and winter squash go very well together. I do a lot of pumpkin or butternut squash curries when the weather turns cold, but turmeric can hold up on its own as well. Sometimes I just cut a squash in half, scoop the seeds, sprinkle on a nice coat of turmeric and salt and roast it in the oven for an hour or so.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
Is zucchini technically a squash?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I really do like the way squash is so happy with turmeric based curries. There's something natural about it, same as curries with parsnips and carrots. I like Autumn for cooking. Out come all the reds and golds, on the leaves and from the ground. No reason to put the grill away or cease salading (still got many tomatoes coming) though. As long as it's not pissing down, still going to set fire to the charcoal. And for me smoke is an autumnal flavour. Reminds me of bonfires and burning effigies.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
I like my squash like I like my other vegetables. With copious amounts of butter & kraft parmesan cheese

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

social vegan posted:

Sweet potato pie. Similar flavors, but not the same, and different textures. Alternately, you could do a different style of pumpkin pie - http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2012/11/12-pumpkin-pies-for-thanksgiving-different-pumpkin-pie-recipes.html - and see if there's one that has a texture or flavor combination that works better for you.

Alternatively, late season apples make good pie. Ditto late season pears.

Alternatively to any pie at all, a lot of the fall seasonal flavors are spices (pumpkin pie flavor is more about the cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (and sometimes mace and clove) than about the pumpkin itself. Consider a pumpkin-spice ice cream, or just a cinnamon ice cream. Few things are more autumnal than a hot baked apple with a scoop of homemade cinnamon ice cream.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Test Pattern posted:

Sweet potato pie. Similar flavors, but not the same, and different textures. Alternately, you could do a different style of pumpkin pie - http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2012/11/12-pumpkin-pies-for-thanksgiving-different-pumpkin-pie-recipes.html - and see if there's one that has a texture or flavor combination that works better for you.

Alternatively, late season apples make good pie. Ditto late season pears.

Alternatively to any pie at all, a lot of the fall seasonal flavors are spices (pumpkin pie flavor is more about the cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (and sometimes mace and clove) than about the pumpkin itself. Consider a pumpkin-spice ice cream, or just a cinnamon ice cream. Few things are more autumnal than a hot baked apple with a scoop of homemade cinnamon ice cream.

Woof, thanks for all the suggestions, think I'll look to pressure relatives into sweet potato or apple. I might even try to make a pie but it will be my first but at least I will be around my parents who are responsible and can put out fires

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

social vegan posted:

Woof, thanks for all the suggestions, think I'll look to pressure relatives into sweet potato or apple. I might even try to make a pie but it will be my first but at least I will be around my parents who are responsible and can put out fires

Cool. I'm terrible at pie crusts, but good at pie fillings, so I buy roll-and-use crusts or use filo to make stuff baklava style (I made an Apple Butter Baklava that would go nicely at any autumnal festival meal). There's no shame in starting with shortcuts or hacks.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I picked up a Sweet Meat squash at a farm, which is a cultivar that's not easy to find outside of the PNW from what I understand, but makes awesome sweet pumpkin dishes. I don't want to go with the standard pumpkin pie usage, so I think I'm going to make a squash ganache and dark chocolate ganache, marble them together, chill them, scoop them out with a melon baller, and make squash-chocolate truffles by rolling those balls in melted milk chocolate, drizzling them in dark chocolate, and dusting in cocoa powder or chocolate shards.

Last year, I brought sweet potato pave with orange cream and a sugar ornament to the family holidays. This year, truffles. Next year I'm going to have to outdo myself again. I'm not as good with desserts as savory food, so I'll have to get creative.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

social vegan posted:

Pecan pie is pretty easy and pecans are about to be in season. Buttermilk pie is fantastic any time of the year.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Cavenagh posted:

No reason to put the grill away

I agree; it's football season so all the tailgating favorites can come out and stay til the superbowl!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

bartolimu posted:

Turmeric and winter squash go very well together. I do a lot of pumpkin or butternut squash curries when the weather turns cold, but turmeric can hold up on its own as well. Sometimes I just cut a squash in half, scoop the seeds, sprinkle on a nice coat of turmeric and salt and roast it in the oven for an hour or so.

Yeah, it goes well with cumin, or just thyme as well.
You should try a za'atar blend, of sumac, thyme, cumin and sesame seeds on it.

Also, it's bloody spring here, and I've only had turkey 4 times in my life...

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, it goes well with cumin, or just thyme as well.
You should try a za'atar blend, of sumac, thyme, cumin and sesame seeds on it.

Za'atar works great, as does berbere if you want a spicy non-Latin kick. With berbere I recommend adding some citrus juice or a nice acidic white wine; za'atar gets that zip from the sumac.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I made apple pie today! Also a giant tray of roasted vegetables and wild rice. My first real time using the oven since the spring- I don't have air conditioning, so I don't bake in the summer.

This year I grew these monster pumpkins called Black Futsu and have 15 of them to deal with some time between now and December so I need all the pumpkin/ squash recipes!

Also I started baking cookies - that always makes me think of fall. I made ginger snaps and apple spice cookies.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When fall comes I start using all the "stew meat" cuts I get when I slaughter - which is basically all the bony scraps and such that doesn't make it into any other cut - by doing soup a lot. Usually this is in the crockpot, so in the morning before I leave I just sear off the meat, add water, onion, some barley, etc. and let it cook allllllllllll day (12 hours, maybe more) and then when I get home I get the bones out and add in a few other vegetables to top it off. I'll usually cook up a quick bread to go with it or will have started a yeast bread in the morning if I have time and bake that in the evening as well for a really great, warming meal.

When its cold enough that I start using the wood stove to heat the house, though, I do the same as above but instead of a crock pot I do everything in my big dutch oven and just keep it on the wood stove all day.

I mean, this poo poo isn't revolutionary or anything, but sometimes people forget how nice simple, wholesome stuff like scotch broth can be.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 26, 2015

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

social vegan posted:

Mince pie is my holiday favorite. Especially if the filling has chopped nuts.

For people who are terrible at pie crusts (me) this method takes a lot of the guesswork out. Here's the science behind it if you care. I like to replace some of the water with a splash of brandy for a little extra flavor!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Fall is kimchi season. Make a big batch when the weather is cool enough. Also venison.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Fresh lamb. Lots of it. And stuffed peppers since autumn is bell pepper season :d

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Force de Fappe posted:

Fall is kimchi season. Make a big batch when the weather is cool enough. Also venison.

How much kimchi do you make per batch?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What are some good autumn-y breakfast dishes? I'm looking to host a brunch next month and it would be nice to be seasonal if possible.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

guppy posted:

What are some good autumn-y breakfast dishes? I'm looking to host a brunch next month and it would be nice to be seasonal if possible.

scrambled eggs with pumpkin spice mix

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Libelous Slander posted:

How much kimchi do you make per batch?

More than a gallon at least. I wish I had a couple of those bigass Korean earthenware jars. Between the two of us we make it through before it gets too rancid, then I make another batch.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

social vegan posted:

I grew up with nation of Islam bean pies in the fall. Similar tasting pie made with black or red beans. Recipe is findable and they are very good

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

guppy posted:

Cinnamon buns! Apple fritters! Pumpkin pancakes! Apple muffins!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

guppy posted:

Sweet Potato Scones. I 'merrika it up with chocolate chips, as well as a side of a really tangy jam (IKEA lingonberry because I am terrible).
http://camillestyles.com/food-and-drink/the-perfect-bite-sweet-potato-scones/

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

fyodor posted:

With the changing seasons brings a change in the meals we may choose to make. Out are your summery slaws and grilled everythings. In comes your soups and your squashes and suchnots. How do you guys mark the passage into Fall with food?

I take this pile of peppers I just got from the garden and make some scorching hot chili.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Pumpkin spice latte from Panera, pumpkin spice pillsbury rolls, and some comfy Ugg boats to wear on my feet while I read Twilight.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
Buying a bunch of dried candy cap mushrooms, making candy-cap cookies, cheesecake and pumpkin pie, and then confusing everyone with your maple syrup-y BO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Butternut Squash Stew!

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Peanut-Butternut_Squash_Stew

• Locked thread