Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

achewood making GBS threads on finlands is like diarrhea making GBS threads on a solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I live right next to finland

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
achewood can even make finland sound interesting

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

TwoFire posted:

achewood making GBS threads on finlands is like diarrhea making GBS threads on a solid

hmm

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Zzulu posted:

I live right next to finland

Which side?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Im 100% finnish but i live in sweden and almost all finns ive talked to revere their homeland like mad. But deep inside we all know its a frozen hellwaste straight out of a lovely post-apoc movie. National sports include axe throwing (kirveenheitto), boot throwing (saapasheitto) and carrying your wife on your shoulders in a race to win her weight in beer (ämmänkanto). Sauna and beer is legit though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Waci posted:

Which side?

the good side

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
I'm want to migrate to central Iraq

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

BelgianWaffle posted:

I'm want to migrate to central Iraq

better than finland

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

BombiTheZombie posted:

Im 100% finnish but i live in sweden and almost all finns ive talked to revere their homeland like mad. But deep inside we all know its a frozen hellwaste straight out of a lovely post-apoc movie. National sports include axe throwing (kirveenheitto), boot throwing (saapasheitto) and carrying your wife on your shoulders in a race to win her weight in beer (ämmänkanto). Sauna and beer is legit though

I like the frozen wasteland part of Finland. All the best places for driving fast, hunting forest rats and practicing your outdoor skills. Shame it's about to get over-regulated or sold to large multinationals soon.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
I want to visit both Mongolia and Finland very much. Cos I like Finlandia and cold summers and am really interested in mongolian history and culture.

Hell, if i was finnish i would be really proud to have common ancestry with a nation that ruled 1/4 of the earth's landmass at one point.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Finland doesn't really have cold summers though. except this last one was kinda cold and lovely

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
So how's August? Is it the cruelest month over there as well?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
finland is the inbetween bastard child of the real scandinavia and the slavs of eastern europe

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Finland seems great.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

H.H posted:

sometimes warmest

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
why do i keep getting anime pictures when i google for finland

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

are they drunk

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

why do i keep getting anime pictures when i google for finland
it's your search history

google knows

meanwhile, google gave me this:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/09/finland-groups-attack-refugees-150925123046167.html

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
insane, angry young racists are cool and good

probably wasted, too

quakster fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 26, 2015

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

its happening

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Linguistically Finnish is related to Hungarian and at least Finland isn't full of literal fascists like Hungary so they have that going for them. (Baltic peoples get as much of a pass as you can for liking Hitler because he was actually nicer to them than Stalin which is a pretty awkward history.)

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Amazing craftmanship.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I'm Swedish on my mother's side (fair Swedish maiden), Finnish on my father's (roving mongol rape train), and let me tell you: being part Finn is the greatest curse of all.

To know you could have been so much more, if not for the sluggish mongol blood in your veins.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im mongole as fukc,

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I was gonna post how I'd like to move there, or at least go visit for a while, and then I remembered my username/av and realized I'm the Finnish version of a weeaboo. :(

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

seems like mongol territory in general isn't very attractive to refugees

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

i once asked a finnish man what the real way to pronounce "Teuvo Teräväinen" was and it basically sounded like a baby crying so i decided "tay-vo" is good enough

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

H.H posted:

In Helsinki region summers can last until October, it's atm pretty balmy outside and my dad just took on his bike to go swimming in a lake.

Yes, I am drunk right now, why do you ask

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

isnt finland just like norway and sweden in that there is nothing to do but get drunk but also booze is like 10x as expensive as everywhere else

i mean it really does sound like hell

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

isnt finland just like norway and sweden in that there is nothing to do but get drunk but also booze is like 10x as expensive as everywhere else

there are also imported tv shows to watch like the bing bang theory

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Finland is like Sweden and Norway, except worse in every single way

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

eSports Chaebol posted:

A quick rundown of nature in the Nordics:

Norway: Fjords and mountains.

Sweden: Endless forest.

Denmark: Fertile farmland.

Finland:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I remember once drinking in a Kuopio dive bar during the winter. There was a bunch of students in the next table, one of them had already gotten to the stage where he sat motionless with his face down on the table. One of his friends lifted his head, looked at him and yelled triumphant, in a thick Savo accent: "HE CAN STILL DRINK MORE, HIS EYES ARE MOVING!"

Oh, gotta get back to Kuopio soon, they really know their booze there :allears:

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
When they tell you it's “A Land of a Thousand Lakes”, what they're really saying is that it's full of bogs, swamp and peatland.

They're clever like that, the asiatics.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 26, 2015

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

When they tell you it's a “A Land of a Thousand Lakes”, what they're really saying is that it's all bog, swamp and peatland.

Gotta say, this is 100% fact, except this is basically the view from my family summer home:

I used to think that everyone around the world drives twice every year away in the woods to spend a week drunk, alone, looking at the sun rise and set from the peace of your own log cabin. Finland has some good things going for it.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

When they tell you it's a “A Land of a Thousand Lakes”, what they're really saying is that it's full of bogs, swamp and peatland.

Hey now, one look at the map and you'll see who's Lake Boss of the Nordics. Then look at the rest of Europe and their sad lakeless existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
we like finland the way it is: empty

kindly gently caress off from our swamps

• Locked thread