Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
System Mastery podcast? Seth Skorkowsky did this to a few systems, but he only reviews poo poo he actually plays, so there's not a lot of videos like that in his portfolio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, i think the challenge is finding channels that actually play the stuff being reviewed, because most review material i've seen comes off of just reading the thing, and then riffing off of internet comments about how it plays, rather than through playing the stuff. Of course, that's a real problem in board game reviews, too, almost every review is after at most a teach game.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The RPPR non actual-play show has good game design episodes. Caleb Stokes is one of the only RPG designers who playtests his games extensively and learns lessons from other people running them.

For Youtube shows Seth is the best you're going to do. I don't know of anyone else who actually plays everything they review.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

busalover posted:

Not really what this thread is about, but I figure you guys might know about it: Is there a Youtube channel that presents different systems, takes them apart and reviews them? Kinda like Shut Up and Sit Down, but for RPGs.

Knights of the Last Call will do an episode devoted to a system occasionally. It is by no means comprehensive.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

busalover posted:

Not really what this thread is about, but I figure you guys might know about it: Is there a Youtube channel that presents different systems, takes them apart and reviews them? Kinda like Shut Up and Sit Down, but for RPGs.

https://www.ludonarrativedissidents.com/ perhaps?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Me, Myself, and Die also occasionally does system reviews (under the "Sage's Library" playlist) but they're generally systems that Trevor has already had a good amount of experience with.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I had high hopes for Ludonarrative Dissidents but I had to stop after the third episode of "James and Greg argue about typography". I don't think they even read every game they review, let alone play it.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
This is loving cool and everyone should know about it and listen to it and support them. https://www.skulltenders.com/episodes/s01e01

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kerro posted:

If you haven't already, I'd try Mayday Roleplay's 'Doomed To Repeat' arc. It can get pretty loving dark (appropriate for the setting and subject matter) but it's amazing if you want commitment to the fiction and characters since it's pretty much 100% in character and incredibly well edited and produced.

I was utterly enthralled by this series.

Also I should jump back into PTBP, maybe at the second season so I don’t have to re-establish so much context.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

mellonbread posted:

I had high hopes for Ludonarrative Dissidents but I had to stop after the third episode of "James and Greg argue about typography". I don't think they even read every game they review, let alone play it.

Ross has played the majority of the stuff they talk about and definitely reads them, but I was also disappointed by that show. Greg Stolze has great game design chops, Ross has read and run more RPGs than almost anyone else out there, but James Wallis brings a persistent negativity towards so many games that really made it hard for me to enjoy.

Majkol posted:

This is loving cool and everyone should know about it and listen to it and support them. https://www.skulltenders.com/episodes/s01e01

I haven't listened yet but it has SA alum Voidburger and looks real cool.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 3, 2023

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Do y'all have any good reccs for VtM/VtE Actual Plays? I tried to get into LA by Night but just straight up couldn't.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

mcclay posted:

Do y'all have any good reccs for VtM/VtE Actual Plays? I tried to get into LA by Night but just straight up couldn't.

Vampires of Pittsburgh was really good. First season unfortunately has sex pest Thomas Middleditch in it, but he's cut after that.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCXy5RnfhYuqOOSCFTirbBaG7SAK6wFX-&feature=shared

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mcclay posted:

Smaller group but Queen's Court Games has the All Night Society: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmBv35C8c0&list=PLhwM3P_fX7HHeV6OCcsGM5xMl6QvVs0Cq

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Loading Ready Run did a VtM actual play called Not a Drop to drink, Vancouver Island by Night. I always tap out of actual plays after a few episodes, but I liked what I watched.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

mcclay posted:

Not a Drop to Drink from LoadingReadyRun:

https://youtu.be/uzR4nHH-GkQ?si=IEQ9MvUMXW-zFShV

Two seasons plus some excellent Session Zeores and character studies pre-S2. It's smaller stakes than LA but it's great.

e: S3 is coming at some point when they can schedule it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pinwiz11 posted:

Not a Drop to Drink from LoadingReadyRun:

https://youtu.be/uzR4nHH-GkQ?si=IEQ9MvUMXW-zFShV

Two seasons plus some excellent Session Zeores and character studies pre-S2. It's smaller stakes than LA but it's great.

e: S3 is coming at some point when they can schedule it.

Nice. I've seen Jacob's stuff before elsewhere. He had a delightful first playthrough of Vampire: Bloodlines which was very entertaining because he knew the lore and made the appropriate buy-ins.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Any recs for a Delta Green or Esoterrorists AP that can give a good idea of the serious tone of the game? Starting a DG campaign soon as the GM and want to do some research. I tried Pretending to be People and its good and I plan to continue through it but it is not remotely the style of game we will be playing.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Rppr usually will handle your Delta green needs
God's teeth

Impossible Landscapes

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Twibbit posted:

Rppr usually will handle your Delta green needs
God's teeth

Impossible Landscapes

Hell yeah thanks. Imp Land might be the first campaign arc we dive into after some one shots.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I read this a few days ago, might come in handy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeltaGreenRPG/comments/185a1xw/good_impossible_landscapes_actual_plays/

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Question for people who listen to Actual Plays that go through modules: have you ever played through a module after listening to an Actual Play of it, or vice versa? How did it affect the experience if at all?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I have. As long as you’re not so influences that you try to match it beat for beat there shouldn’t be any issues. I find hearing little tweaks can give you ideas to work into your world or make you narrow in on parts of the module that need to be altered instead of realizing on the fly that part is pants and totally winging an audible

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Question for people who listen to Actual Plays that go through modules: have you ever played through a module after listening to an Actual Play of it, or vice versa? How did it affect the experience if at all?

I listen to modules before GMing them sometimes, typically Call of Cthulhu one-shots. I find it useful, some adventures are complicated enough that it helps to have an example of how someone actually ran them. Never listened to anything that I've played as a player afterwards, though.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The only actual plays I listen to anymore are modules I've run or played. Even good shows are just contextless rambling most of the time, but if I've already played the scenario I get to see how other people handle the same challenges. Knowing what lies in store for the players adds tension that's usually absent in a format where the hosts constantly crack wise or go on tangents.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That's useful to know. I've avoided listening to a couple when I've known someone who was planning to run the game so I wouldn't accidentally ruin surprises for myself or accidentally metagame. I can see how listening as a GM would be very useful, definitely.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Not quite the same thing but I've listened to multiple actual plays of the same scenario(s) and/or campaigns and the beauty of roleplaying is that the combination of different players and different characters tends to lead to the same basic story components spiraling into very different paths and outcomes. Like, I think I've heard people run the example Delta Green scenario where you're cleaning up after a former agent dies of natural causes four or five times now and it never goes well but the outcomes (and how much that haunts future events) have varied widely.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've heard at least 3 shows do the Mines of Phandelver and played through it at least twice. Makes me worried about people that everyone typically kill the chained wolves, although knowing that and saying it when it happens has caused it to not happen in my playthroughs.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Are there any actual play podcasts that run OSR or old editions of D&D as a group? I've only found solo play stuff.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you search for specific OSR modules on Youtube, there are usually groups recording themselves playing them. Are you interested in anything specific system or modules?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Are there any actual play podcasts that run OSR or old editions of D&D as a group? I've only found solo play stuff.

3D6 Down the Line plays Old School Essentials. They have two series so far, one starting with Winter's Daughter then exploring more of the Dolmenwood campaign setting, and their second (still ongoing) one is going through the Arden Vul megadungeon.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I'll check them out!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Friends at the Table is doing a Counter/Weight prequel as an interlude in the current arc. Which is really interesting because in my very slow Counter/Weight re-listen is "I would listen to a show about some of the events that lead up to the world."

There's always a thing with prequels where sometimes it's better to have mystery in the past rather than answers about it but considering the story takes place like +20,000 years or so after current earth history (if I'm even remembering that right) there's plenty of room to cover lots of stuff and still leave a healthy amount of ambiguity.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Only nine months behind, but I started up My First Dungeon's arc on DIE after a few years of wondering if the RPG ever actually came out.

Turns out it did, and hearing Kieron Gillen and Grant Howitt talk about the design choices followed by Nathan Yaffe, Carolyn Page, and a few others build their characters and world and actually play the game is an absolute delight. The next arc is Good Society, the Jane Austen RPG that Dimension 20 borrowed some mechanics for for A Court of Fey & Flowers.

The amount of captivatingly weird AP out there never ceases to amaze.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Has there ever been a Chronicles of Amber / Lords of Gossamer & Shadow Actual Play?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Inkspot posted:

Only nine months behind, but I started up My First Dungeon's arc on DIE after a few years of wondering if the RPG ever actually came out.

Turns out it did, and hearing Kieron Gillen and Grant Howitt talk about the design choices followed by Nathan Yaffe, Carolyn Page, and a few others build their characters and world and actually play the game is an absolute delight. The next arc is Good Society, the Jane Austen RPG that Dimension 20 borrowed some mechanics for for A Court of Fey & Flowers.

The amount of captivatingly weird AP out there never ceases to amaze.

On the one hand I have no more time for any new APs. On the other I would really enjoy listening to someone playing through the Die RPG.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Has there ever been a Chronicles of Amber / Lords of Gossamer & Shadow Actual Play?

There's a couple of sessions on Youtube.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rick posted:

Friends at the Table is doing a Counter/Weight prequel as an interlude in the current arc. Which is really interesting because in my very slow Counter/Weight re-listen is "I would listen to a show about some of the events that lead up to the world."

There's always a thing with prequels where sometimes it's better to have mystery in the past rather than answers about it but considering the story takes place like +20,000 years or so after current earth history (if I'm even remembering that right) there's plenty of room to cover lots of stuff and still leave a healthy amount of ambiguity.

I think I'm going to check this out just to see if I like their new stuff or not. I bounced off Twilight Mirage hard the first time I tried to listen to it, and just skipped ahead this week to start Spring in Hieron and at least finish out Marielda. Obviously that'll take a while to get through either way, but if the Counter/Weight prequel is good, that'll give me more confidence to try getting back into their space stuff when I finish this season.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Rick posted:

On the one hand I have no more time for any new APs. On the other I would really enjoy listening to someone playing through the Die RPG.

Finally finished the game and post-game conversation the other day and it is maybe the most fun I've had watching and/or listening to someone else play a TTRPG. It has a ton of goofs and a ton of pathos and the whole thing is wrapped up in ~15 hours. Absolute must listen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Did anyone else find the Second Spring episodes of Spring in Hieron exhausting? I'm four episodes in so far, and the fourth episode was admittedly more entertaining than the others, but overall it's just been sooooo slow, and putting miniature GM hats on everyone just highlights my biggest criticism of FATT, which is that Austin is a lot more clever and interesting than most of the players. I really hope it keeps the momentum from the fourth episode going in the last two, because the ones before that were pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Did anyone else find the Second Spring episodes of Spring in Hieron exhausting? I'm four episodes in so far, and the fourth episode was admittedly more entertaining than the others, but overall it's just been sooooo slow, and putting miniature GM hats on everyone just highlights my biggest criticism of FATT, which is that Austin is a lot more clever and interesting than most of the players. I really hope it keeps the momentum from the fourth episode going in the last two, because the ones before that were pretty bad.

I liked it over all, but sometimes I feel like Keith is just railing against following a cool narrative that has set up to just do some random thing that just disrupts or deflates other stuff people are trying to do.