Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

and so are textbook publishers

hmm time to publish a new edition of this best-selling textbook! *adds a few new blurbs on the empty sides of the pages* that'll be $150!!!

oh you want to sell that to your college bookstore when you're done with it? that;ll be $5 and a gently caress-you.

don't listen to your jackass professors when they say you need to buy any book. just photocopy the chapters you need from your friends or whatever. at the minimum wait until the semester is 1/2 finished, then ask yourself if you still need to buy a physical copy of that book.

I spent like $800 on textbooks that I used like once and never again. thinking back on this makes me feel like a retarded chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

gently caress you op

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i loke the first reply so im gonna pretend its the op, and i agree

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
they don't even sell them anymore, they rent them for 75% of the retail price and if you damage them, you pay the difference

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I mean, on one had knowledge progresses daily, not yearly.

On the other hand, 5k in textbooks cost with a .00000!% sell back.

Blow me knowledge.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
religion is :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
the college industry as a whole is the biggest scam of all time

i already have a job and i barely finished 7th grade. take that liberal academia!

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
why are you still in school and haven't just killed yourself? Do it

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
the new hotness is selling access codes for bullshit online components that consist of 30ish% of your grade, also if you want to buy only the code it costs the same as code+book cause gently caress you

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Outpost22 posted:

the college industry as a whole is the biggest scam of all time

i already have a job and i barely finished 7th grade. take that liberal academia!

sucking off sailors generally doesn't require a degree, in fairness

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

gently caress yeah it is

protip: Get a job at the book store and steal your text books

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Ive been able to find *free ebooks* for the majority of classes that actually require a text. Photocopying is so much more work.

only buy the textbooks if they have an aesthetically appealing hard cover, have 1,000+ pages, and an impressive title

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

OP doesn't even understand why he must buy the new edition.

It is because the order of information changes slightly (so page numbers from previous editions can't be re-used) and the writing prompts might change to be more relevant (i.e. cell phone/sexting instead of phone lines/prostitutes)

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
See OP, the reason they're priced so highly is because of the resellers, like Barnes and Noble. They are the only places that sell the books other than direct orders to the publisher, so they do whatever the gently caress they want because book stores are brutal and losing a ton of money because nobody buys any other kind of book anymore.

Pearson is insane rear end because they sell their books at the same markup if you buy from them directly, but other places (incl generally every software book publisher) are at least 50% lower than book store prices

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc1hGSZqN0

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Anyway I quickly realized that if I couldn't download the book from Google for $25 or less, I didn't actually need it. if your complaining your a bitch

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
buy an e reader torrent books this is poo poo you figure out freshman year

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

satanic splash-back posted:

OP doesn't even understand why he must buy the new edition.

It is because the order of information changes slightly (so page numbers from previous editions can't be re-used) and the writing prompts might change to be more relevant (i.e. cell phone/sexting instead of phone lines/prostitutes)

Tell me more about which textbooks talk about prostitution and sexting

are there any about licking booty hole?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
$800 was like one semester of law

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Happy Bear Suit posted:

and so are textbook publishers

hmm time to publish a new edition of this best-selling textbook! *adds a few new blurbs on the empty sides of the pages* that'll be $150!!!

oh you want to sell that to your college bookstore when you're done with it? that;ll be $5 and a gently caress-you.

don't listen to your jackass professors when they say you need to buy any book. just photocopy the chapters you need from your friends or whatever. at the minimum wait until the semester is 1/2 finished, then ask yourself if you still need to buy a physical copy of that book.

I spent like $800 on textbooks that I used like once and never again. thinking back on this makes me feel like a retarded chump.

You should loudly tell that to the student employee at the campus bookstore, that was always my favorite thing to hear!

edit: I also got 25% off all books and first access to the used books each semester, so I guess that made up for it.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Fun college fact: your professors absolutely 100% do not give a gently caress if you do this or any other way to not buy a textbook.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I downloaded all my books for free except the loving anthro and english ones because those students are too stupid to use a drat scanner. Even my art history books had pdfs available.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

deadking posted:

Fun college fact: your professors absolutely 100% do not give a gently caress if you do this or any other way to not buy a textbook.

..except if it is one they have written, which is about 95% of the case these days.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Amazon will let you rent books for :10bux: each if you order them early enough, which is nice

if it turns out you don't need it you can just return it in 30 days for a full refund too

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TwoFire posted:

..except if it is one they have written, which is about 95% of the case these days.

only the english/lit profs, from my experience

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

The best is when a professor puts books that he wrote on the required book list. That happened to me twice.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Robo Reagan posted:

only the english/lit profs, from my experience

I had to buy a 1100 page self published novel about how much my prof hated the internet because kids trashed him on rate my professor. Not even a joke. "What a Tangled Web" look it up. Got about 2 weeks in before I harassed the english department dean into allowing me into another class that was full.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

THE PENETRATOR posted:

See OP, the reason they're priced so highly is because of the resellers, like Barnes and Noble. They are the only places that sell the books other than direct orders to the publisher, so they do whatever the gently caress they want because book stores are brutal and losing a ton of money because nobody buys any other kind of book anymore.

Pearson is insane rear end because they sell their books at the same markup if you buy from them directly, but other places (incl generally every software book publisher) are at least 50% lower than book store prices

The campus bookstore that I worked at was owned by B&N :) The complaints were the same, 20 years ago, before Amazon/Craigslist/Ebooks were even a thing

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hobohemian posted:

I had to buy a 1100 page self published novel about how much my prof hated the internet because kids trashed him on rate my professor. Not even a joke. "What a Tangled Web" look it up. Got about 2 weeks in before I harassed the english department dean into allowing me into another class that was full.

i hope from that point on everyone gave him a bad rating on rate my professor just to gently caress with him

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
No OP, the college system in the US is the bigger scam. This thread is basically complaining about a scam within a scam.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

My university had a textbook rental system, and it was ridiculously easy to steal whatever wasn't a rental. I may be hosed forever buy student loan debt, but at least I got my books for free.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

The campus bookstore that I worked at was owned by B&N :) The complaints were the same, 20 years ago, before Amazon/Craigslist/Ebooks were even a thing

Hey fellow B&N campus bookstore former employee! :hfive:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BowieFett posted:

The best is when a professor puts books that he wrote on the required book list. That happened to me twice.
Me too but those guys either lead or in one case invented the course field.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

OctoberBlues posted:

Hey fellow B&N campus bookstore former employee! :hfive:

#687 represent :hf:

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

computer parts posted:

Amazon will let you rent books for :10bux: each if you order them early enough, which is nice

if it turns out you don't need it you can just return it in 30 days for a full refund too

Do not rent amazon books. They said gently caress you to me aND I was out 350 bucks since amazon isn't directly involved with the book rentals they won't do poo poo.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Robo Reagan posted:

i hope from that point on everyone gave him a bad rating on rate my professor just to gently caress with him

god how could you not, like that should be the test he gives on who gets the A in the class

possibly the most meta english class ever...

the man might be a genius

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can't even :filez: them anymore as the new hotness is an "access code" that lets you log in to read your book and do the homework. I was just torrenting all of them for awhile but they realized people weren't getting gang-rear end-raped on prices. Now they don't even bother changing two words and the numbering on the homework questions. It's the exact same poo poo from year to year you just have to have the code to see it so they can save money by not having it redone or materials costs to ship the new poo poo. Prices have, of course, gone the exact opposite of down with these cost saving measures implemented.

They'll say dumb bullshit buzzwords like 'integrated learning environment' and expect anyone, ever, to believe it when it's just "gently caress you got mine".

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maybe u should stop whining and get a better paying job op

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
its hard to think of a worse buzzword than integrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

One thing I've noticed in the last few years is they don't even offer textBOOKS, they're moving towards selling you the pages of the book, but so you can put it in a three ring binder of your own. No more hard or soft covers, just the paper within, so now you can have a backpack full of four huge binders you need to lug across the completely packed campus parking lot, up stairs, ect. Ever flipped a page in a binder and tore one of the holes against the ring? Lol damaged instantly, good luck selling a bunch of loose papers second hand to someone else, because campus bookstores refuse to buy them outright.

One of the authors of the book got divorced or changed their name, got another degree under their belt, or knighted? Better change the edition to 27 and charge everyone $400.00 to make it so. College is a business, you are the product, and little care is given as long as money is funneled into the right pockets.

Just loving lol.

• Locked thread