Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

gently caress it, I am in for some Disgaea. Need to do something with my PS4 besides Bloodborne, and eventually Persona 5. Haven't played any Nippon Ichi games since the PS2. Hopefully my lack of knowledge of any of the PS3/Vita stuff won't hinder me too much.

Edit: It is preloading on PSN right now.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After switching between the dub and sub a bunch I can safely say that Seraphina's dub VA does way better ohohoho laughs.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Go play Tactics Ogre instead, namely the PSP one "Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together". It's pretty drat great and fixes many issues with Final Fantasy Tactics.

Yea for real, the PSP Tactics Ogre is the best SRPG ever made, and it's not even close.

I'm looking forward to playing Disgaea 5 though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

eh tactics ogre is a good game and fun experience but mechanically it's a mess of an srpg

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
i like how the Presumably Midboss/Axel-equivalent of the game and the first special character you recruit are both attendents of the Hulk Hogan Promo School.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Oh god, you don't get any item levels when you skip floors now. :ohdear:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I didn't know this was out already! I played the poo poo out of the Japanese version earlier this year, so I'm happy to field any postgame or spergy mechanical questions anyone might have.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cake Attack posted:

eh tactics ogre is a good game and fun experience but mechanically it's a mess of an srpg

It's also presented pretty poorly because its on the PSP. Have fun figuring out what the classes are for the first hour or so.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Daedalus1134 posted:

I very, very, rarely skipped floors, but what?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is there anything I'm gonna miss out on in this game if I haven't played the previous ones?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Malloreon posted:

is there anything I'm gonna miss out on in this game if I haven't played the previous ones?

Some referential humor maybe but that's about it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Honestly after doing A LOT of the optional content in Disgaea 4 Vita I think I'm done. It was fun but like... at some point it really just devolves into doing something over and over hoping to get lucky. Combining abilities and stuff is still fun but like, clever use of abilities in this game will never make up the massive gap in levels if you don't grind yourself and your items.

That said running around in the item world and getting super high legendary equipment you shouldn't have had yet is always fun.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Malloreon posted:

Nothing at all. If anything, you might be better off without the baggage.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

God dammit. Today's the day and I'm not done with MGS5.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Daedalus1134 posted:

Wait is this true? Doesn't that absolutely RUIN Item World?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Daedalus1134 posted:

Are you 100% sure this is the case? Because boy that's a big and unwelcome new change.

E: yeah, getting multiple confirmations this is the case. However, they have balanced it by adding "gain item levels" to the bonus gauge and putting the Item Fortune Teller in every Innocent Town, apparently. People are also circumstantially reporting more level up spheres and similar. So it appears they've rebalanced the Item World to be more active.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 6, 2015

5er
Jun 1, 2000

projecthalaxy posted:

Are you 100% sure this is the case? Because boy that's a big and unwelcome new change.

E: yeah, getting multiple confirmations this is the case. However, they have balanced it by adding "gain item levels" to the bonus gauge and putting the Item Fortune Teller in every Innocent Town, apparently. People are also circumstantially reporting more level up spheres and similar. So it appears they've rebalanced the Item World to be more active.

I have spent years just 100% doing item worlds without skipping maps because I have some kind of completionist OCD. To wit, MGS5 I mentioned earlier, I've only got 3 missions left, and as of the point I went to bed last night, the previous 43 are all S-ranked and have all their objectives completed.
So, I'm not that ruffed with this.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I was a big fan of sneaking around items I had no business fighting and slooooowly leveling them up one or two at a time. So I'm sad about this.

Anyway I can't wait to play the full game. I wanna try out the Chara World board game and start obsessively minmaxing my squads.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, at work myself, but I am looking forward to trying it once I get home. Already have it preloaded and waiting. I didn't bother with the demo, so I am starting fresh. I played Disgaea 1 and 2 on the PS2 though, along with La Pucelle and Phantom Brave, so I have a pretty good idea of what I am getting into. Silly story with demons, good bit of customization, grindy postgame.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 6, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

It's supposed to be at my door in a couple hours and I'm definitely going to be sick tomorrow. How long is the item world and senate closed off for?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

It's supposed to be at my door in a couple hours and I'm definitely going to be sick tomorrow. How long is the item world and senate closed off for?

Senate (and squads) open up in Chapter 3, Item world at the beginning of chapter 4.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also Chapter 3 loving sucks. An entire chapter where the gimmick is big maps with poison oceans separating everything suuuuucks.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also Chapter 3 loving sucks. An entire chapter where the gimmick is big maps with poison oceans separating everything suuuuucks.

I think 2 had the exact same problem, early game always has some stupid chapter like that

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok a few questions from someone who has only played the ps2 games:

For the recruitment quests that need rank 2 of x or y, what counts as a brawler? That word doesn't appear anywhere else in the entire game...

I made a female fist user from whatever class has the movement evade evility, I can't recall. Hopefully that qualifies? Levelling masteries in that, the mage, the healer, and the fighter is really slow as they're not as good as the uniques so maybe I'm not going about this the right way.

Is there no pupil arrangements any more? I'd like to put all elements onto a single skull for example. It feels like that is what scrolls or the skill shop are for now.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ok a few questions from someone who has only played the ps2 games:

For the recruitment quests that need rank 2 of x or y, what counts as a brawler? That word doesn't appear anywhere else in the entire game...

I made a female fist user from whatever class has the movement evade evility, I can't recall. Hopefully that qualifies? Levelling masteries in that, the mage, the healer, and the fighter is really slow as they're not as good as the uniques so maybe I'm not going about this the right way.

Is there no pupil arrangements any more? I'd like to put all elements onto a single skull for example. It feels like that is what scrolls or the skill shop are for now.

Yeah brawlers are male or female martial artists. Your fist user should be fine.

The pupil system has been replaced by both skill scrolls and a Squad that allows the leader to learn squaddies skills.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is it actually worth making generics? I seem to remember from the older games that the only characters that really mattered were named. You get enough of them through the story anyway.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Is it actually worth making generics? I seem to remember from the older games that the only characters that really mattered were named. You get enough of them through the story anyway.

I've not played enough of D5 to comment on this game specifically but yeah it's usually worth making a few at least. A thief is always handy for stealing, having some skulls/mages around to teach spells to your uniques if nothing else, ditto healer. Plus at least one of the monsters usually have some handy gimmick or Evility, plus you'll need them for Magichanging.

Broadly, your uniques tend to be better, but a lot of generics have a specific role to fill.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I always like to make a full team of generics and slowly replace them with story characters. Probably a bad idea because that experience could have gone to someone else but its fun.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, at work myself, but I am looking forward to trying it once I get home. Already have it preloaded and waiting. I didn't bother with the demo, so I am starting fresh. I played Disgaea 1 and 2 on the PS2 though, along with La Pucelle and Phantom Brave, so I have a pretty good idea of what I am getting into. Silly story with demons, good bit of customization, grindy postgame.

I preordered a hardcopy on Amazon like half a year ago and got the email yesterday that it started shipping. I wasn't even paying attention. If Fed Ex / UPS gently caress up delivery and it doesn't get here til tomorrow (they do this with every third or fourth thing I order from Amazon), I won't be too chagrined as I probably have 100 hours left of MGS5 poo poo to do :/

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just doing some entry level Item World stuff...

Huh..Oh well this can't be too bad, this is like a level 20 item.

:whitewater:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I don't think Darkdeath Evilman is having any of your nonsense, friendo. He's not here for a fair fight.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I'm weird, I use about half generics and half story characters. Towards the end of the games I always use one super-generic and nobody else.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wish this was on pc. I don't want to buy a console for 1-2 games only.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Wish this was on pc. I don't want to buy a console for 1-2 games only.

I have made my peace with it. At Target you can get the PS4 bundle with the new Destiny game for $400, comes with $50 target gift card.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
What's the deal in Chapter 2 after you clear out all the maps on the first Netherworld and it's just like "No new maps! Go gather some information"? Not sure what you're supposed to do

mune
Sep 23, 2006

goferchan posted:

What's the deal in Chapter 2 after you clear out all the maps on the first Netherworld and it's just like "No new maps! Go gather some information"? Not sure what you're supposed to do

Talk to the people in your pocket Netherworld.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

I thought generics' main benefit is that the upper ranks of them have higher stat growth percentages and you can assign them bonus base stats. And the way stats work is that they're some product of the unit's level, bases, and growths?

unique characters have fixed growths and bases right?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just doing some entry level Item World stuff...

Huh..Oh well this can't be too bad, this is like a level 20 item.

:whitewater:

Ah, the fine tradition of accidentally biting off more than you can chew in Item World continues.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The first time I played Disgaea 2, I had some level 80ish pirates invade like the second floor during the mandatory chapter 2 item world trip. My highest dude was like 6 lol. They were at a choke point before the exit, and murdered me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not sure how to feel about a 35 dollar season pass. Even though it probably is a big discount than buying everything as it comes out.

• Locked thread