Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Played for about three hours last night. The most fun was letting my sons pick their own characters to get generated and naming the units after them. My youngest of course picked a prinny. Which is going to be a challenge for me, because I haven't bothered using a prinny since the first few maps in o.g. Disgaea in 2004.

So nice to go to such a colorful, frivolous game after a month of drab and grit with MGS5.

I am completely unimpressed with the VA for the main characters so far. I won't bother complaining about anime tropes because anyone familiar with the franchise, knows drat well what they're getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There's still a postgame, Baal and the Land of Carnage are still kicking around. There's just less of a focus on fighting and recruiting cameo characters as bosses. More quest maps and such. A lot more fighting jumped up generics, it seems from my research.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanpachi posted:

Someone on page 1 was lamenting a relative lack of postgame in this? Does anyone know anything about that? I imagine no one has finished the game this quickly, but I'm on the fence about buying.

There's stilly a lengthy post game, it's just that it is based around more generic stuff instead of cameo battles.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Ahh, brilliant. I basically skip the stories in these anyway. Thanks guys.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
isn't sera really the main protagonist? killia seems like the boring sidekick so far

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kanpachi posted:

Ahh, brilliant. I basically skip the stories in these anyway. Thanks guys.

Thursday!@

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

isn't sera really the main protagonist? killia seems like the boring sidekick so far

No, Killia is completely 100% the main character. Sera honestly fades to the background relatively quickly. Red Magus and the rabbit-prinny-ninja girl probably get the most plot after Killa, followed by Zerokin and Christo.

He is the straight man for the wacky characters but once the plot kicks in it is all about him.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
eeeccckkk i'm not sure how i feel about that, but i will swallow it anyway because its time to play some disagaea

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
'Other' Killia and in the end of episode vignettes is actually fine. It's just everyday lines by him that really get me. Eh it's fine. The VA for lost baddies is pretty casual and everyday for supposed soldiers too but w/e.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I truthfully haven't followed/cared about a story in Disgaea since D1 - to me it was the funniest and I've had real trouble caring about it since. I guess Valvatorez in D4 was okay.

D3 was really hard to get through, though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mune posted:

I truthfully haven't followed/cared about a story in Disgaea since D1 - to me it was the funniest and I've had real trouble caring about it since. I guess Valvatorez in D4 was okay.

D3 was really hard to get through, though.

Have you tried Disgaea D2 the direct sequel to D1?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Disgaea is the Saint's Row of Japanese SRPGs.

Quoting because it is perfect.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

pixaal posted:

Have you tried Disgaea D2 the direct sequel to D1?

Oh yeah. Don't remember much of the story to be honest, but the gameplay was phenomenal. Most fun I've had in a Disgaea so far.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

D2 is my favorite Disgaea as well. One of the main reasons was that the postgame was streamlined. You still bounced from plateau to plateau but there was none of the stupid RNG garbage. The Land of Carnage was just a switch in the Cheat Shop, and after you got that down, Rasetsu opened up whole new worlds of gameplay.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No, Killia is completely 100% the main character. Sera honestly fades to the background relatively quickly. Red Magus and the rabbit-prinny-ninja girl probably get the most plot after Killa, followed by Zerokin and Christo.

He is the straight man for the wacky characters but once the plot kicks in it is all about him.
Unfortunately this is true.

If it's any consolation, he at least gets to do some good old fashioned anime shouting later on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Seeing Proto darkdeath appear just makes me more upset that ZHP didn't get a real sequel.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Apparently NISA ran out of time or money or both and one of the things they cut was a bunch of the VO for generics. It's easy to see for yourself even if you don't understand Japanese - make a Samurai with the "Bushido" voice set. In English she has like three grunts and one line of dialogue, but if you switch to Japanese she talks her head off.

Bit of a shame, really. That was one of the more colourful parts of the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Has anyone found a practical use to monster throw?

Also I really hate the magichange system as usual

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The English VO sounds like it hasn't changed.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
I feel like I'm missing something obvious with class levels/stars -- my units are gaining subclass levels/stars way faster than their actual class (I gave my Brawler Maid as a subclass and he got the first two Maid stars before he even got the first Brawler star.) Is there some other mechanic going on here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Has anyone found a practical use to monster throw?

Also I really hate the magichange system as usual

Monster throw isn't better than regular throw but it means monsters are not horribly crippled when it comes to movement at least.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

dukerson posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious with class levels/stars -- my units are gaining subclass levels/stars way faster than their actual class (I gave my Brawler Maid as a subclass and he got the first two Maid stars before he even got the first Brawler star.) Is there some other mechanic going on here?

Nope I noticed it last night. Seems pretty essential. Stack mage on your mage to amp up the rate.

It's not clear to me what earning them does though.

1) Unlock the higher tier class at the recruiter
2) Progress towards new generic unlock quests
3) Eventually you get access to the class evility?
4) You can use class specials?

I haven't played any other Disgaea game with evilities. Some seem really good, like if you can stack the skull and mage ones together..

e:Another question, what's the deal with towers?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

dukerson posted:

Generics with a subclass get mastery points for their subclass instead of their main class. They only added the ability for generics to take a subclass at all in a patch, so I'm only learning about it just now too.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Nope I noticed it last night. Seems pretty essential. Stack mage on your mage to amp up the rate.

It's not clear to me what earning them does though.

1) Unlock the higher tier class at the recruiter
2) Progress towards new generic unlock quests
3) Eventually you get access to the class evility?
4) You can use class specials?
4, no. 3, yes, with emphasis on "eventually". The Skill Shop can also teach a character the common evilities from any rank they've mastered. Most of them are not very good, but some of them are crazy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ooooh I was just gonna ask how to get class stars, alright I'll give everyone a subclass then, that's probably something they coulda mentioned as a mechanic.

Still, loving this game, the main guy sucks a lot but luckily you can just skip cutscenes where he pulls out his lovely gollum crystal and pretend he's just the straight man for the universe.

Please just make a Sera and Red Magus spinoff.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I do appreciate this game has both a character that is a ripoff of The Rock, and also a character that is a ripoff of Hulk Hogan.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just assigned everyone a subclass

I have no idea what the hell it does but uh, it's been done??

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you assign a subclass to the main characters, do they still get their special main character moves?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just assigned everyone a subclass

I have no idea what the hell it does but uh, it's been done??

If they are generic characters, they will now earn class XP as their subclass instead of their actual class. But they will earn class XP much faster.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

If you assign a subclass to the main characters, do they still get their special main character moves?
They do. Subclass doesn't affect skills at all.

projecthalaxy posted:

If they are generic characters, they will now earn class XP as their subclass instead of their actual class. But they will earn class XP much faster.
I don't think the part about earning class XP faster is actually true, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think there might just be some sort of scaling based on level, my level 50 fighter subclassed armor knight and got rank 2 in just like 5 attacks.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's based on how much progress you "would have" made if you had reincarnated and started as that class at level 1. For example, to master the first tier of Mage, you have to earn about the same amount of XP as it would take a Mage to level from 1 to 8. Like in the previous games, more advanced classes take more experience to "level up", and have to get to a higher "level" to go up a tier, but at level 50 the first tier of any class is going to be trivial.

Where it gets weird is that class XP has its own set of multipliers that are completely independent of normal XP multipliers - including the slider in the Cheat Shop, if I'm not mistaken.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really get the online stuff. I just got the netherworld shop and I see other peoples netherworlds at my base sometime but they don't seem to do anything? I know you can do research squad stuff on them too is that the only purpose?

Selane
May 19, 2006

Is it weird that one of my favorite new features is the fact that there is an autosave? I always saved after every fight anyway, so it saves me a bunch of time.

Also I'm glad that the random name generator is on point as usual in an NIS game. My first generic recruited was a red mage named The Hips Do Not Lie.

Selane fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 8, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Evil Canadian posted:

I do appreciate this game has both a character that is a ripoff of The Rock, and also a character that is a ripoff of Hulk Hogan.

it is good

i took the night off from being way to busy so i could play disgaea, thinking 'i will have the item world to grind in any minute now' and i'm on poison planet and still no item world. i think this is the longest a disgaea game has withheld the item world from me

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waiting on the randomizer to give me DeathSatan, as usual.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
A random names I got were Vapid Girl on Girl Action and U.N. Assembly

Muffled Screams was another good one

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I beat chapter 1 last night and then stopped but now i somehow don't know what the game wants me to do to progress the game. there's no new levels available in the dimensional portal

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I beat chapter 1 last night and then stopped but now i somehow don't know what the game wants me to do to progress the game. there's no new levels available in the dimensional portal

Talk to the prinnies around the base, they won't have an icon over their head or w/e

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh that did it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wish this came out on PC.

• Locked thread