Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Waiting on the randomizer to give me DeathSatan, as usual.

Name randomizer is a big fan of KoF.

Anywho would there happen to be a list of the named character abilities anywhere? I am curious to see them since I haven't gotten any since basically the start of the game and I am on chapter 5 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My adult son and I can't figure out why or when you'd want to set a subclass. We would like an example or two if anyone can help, thanks.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Lorini posted:

My adult son and I can't figure out why or when you'd want to set a subclass. We would like an example or two if anyone can help, thanks.

You can set a named character to a subclass so that they count for unlocking new classes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So theoretically you could field 5 people with subclass 'Mage' and they'd all be counting for unlocking more Mage stuff without any of them actually being a mage? Is that what's being said?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Anywho would there happen to be a list of the named character abilities anywhere? I am curious to see them since I haven't gotten any since basically the start of the game and I am on chapter 5 now.
There's heaps of info about everything on the Japanese wiki. I can translate some of it for you if you tell me what you're looking for in particular.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 8, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I made a Maid and her auto name was "My Cup of Tea", so basically this game is perfect.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I gotta get my Maid a better weapon, right now she's awful at everything.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Bloodly posted:

So theoretically you could field 5 people with subclass 'Mage' and they'd all be counting for unlocking more Mage stuff without any of them actually being a mage? Is that what's being said?

Only need 1 person to pick that class, having multiples won't help. To the best of my knowledge the unlock classes you want have your story characters pick those, for your other characters make sure they are set to themselves for subclass, as they will not level up in their main class if they are set to something else.

FractalSandwich posted:

There's heaps of info about everything on the Japanese wiki. I can translate some of it for you if you tell me what you're looking for in particular.

Right now just wondering what levels do the storyline characters unlock new abilities is all.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I just pretend Killia is an ultra-serious parody like Garth Marenghi, and that everything he says is supposed to be overdone and funny. It works!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Speedball posted:

I gotta get my Maid a better weapon, right now she's awful at everything.

Her main use will pretty much always be to be the item monkey with a side of assisting for damage it feels like, but My Cup of Tea has a spear and does well enough.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Right now just wondering what levels do the storyline characters unlock new abilities is all.
8, 42 and 80, not counting spells. There might be some that are story-related instead, but if there are I'm not telling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

8, 42 and 80, not counting spells. There might be some that are story-related instead, but if there are I'm not telling.

I will, but under spoilers. No plot spoilers are here.

Characters will upgrade their Overlord abilities in the progress of the plot. Those plot characters without abilities will unlock them at that point.

Partway through the game you unlock combination attacks between the various plot characters.

Late in the game Killia unlocks two new special attacks.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Just don't talk about the part where they brought back the vehicle system from Makai Kingdom. That's too big to spoil.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Just don't talk about the part where they brought back the vehicle system from Makai Kingdom. That's too big to spoil.

Don't play with my heart.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Another handy use I've found for subclassing is leveling classes you don't care to actually use. I don't have any archers or maids on my combat team, but subclassed my Warrior to them to unlock the other classes that rely on their stars, as he can accrue them quickly.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I want someone to guide me - I'd bought Disgaea 4 on the Vita, but have hardly played it, maybe for the first two chapters. I don't think I have it in me to play two or more games in the series throughout post game and I'm actually interested in this game, but story mode in Disgaea, dumb as it might be, seems easy enough to complete and actually somewhat funny for the most part, so the question is: regarding post-game, which one is stronger/more interesting? I imagine I'll just complete the main story mode of the one that has the weaker post-game and leave it at that, so as to not burn out. Still, I'd appreciate it someone could offer an opinion on the quality of this game's story mode and its quality compared to, say, the first game (the only one I've actually completed).

Thanks in advance!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr. Egg is my favorite. He looks like if someone gave him a knife he'd just start murdering people.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

I will, but under spoilers. No plot spoilers are here.

Characters will upgrade their Overlord abilities in the progress of the plot. Those plot characters without abilities will unlock them at that point.

Partway through the game you unlock combination attacks between the various plot characters.

Late in the game Killia unlocks two new special attacks.

no amount of attacks will make me use curry girl

plip!!!

Szurumbur posted:

Still, I'd appreciate it someone could offer an opinion on the quality of this game's story mode and its quality compared to, say, the first game (the only one I've actually completed).
Umm D1 will always have the best story for me since it was my first Disgaea. D4 Vita is probably my next favorite. D5 after that I'd say? The rest are garbage in my opinion.

That said when I say story I mostly mean the jokes and characters. Valvatorez of D4 Vita is great.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 8, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm actually surprised at how non annoying Usalia is. I expected her to be either the typical "emotionless cold smart child who makes stabs at everyone" or "super cutsey annoying voice excited girl" character. Don't really think I'll use her though.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 8, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

no amount of attacks will make me use curry girl

plip!!!

You're missing out, she's absurdly powerful. She gets multiple 9x9 or larger attacks, really good base evilities, and her Overlord ability is broken as poo poo. Also her higher level Magichange attack is basically "please use this for exp farming: the attack."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I know, I had this poo poo with Desco too. I always lose at Disgaea character lottery!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

A random names I got were Vapid Girl on Girl Action and U.N. Assembly

Muffled Screams was another good one
I was more than happy to encounter "Jeremy Spoke In" last night.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Death License is the best battle music the series has gotten in a while.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I unlocked item world and got to my favorite part of the game where "watch out Killia the guy who did this is probably on the other side waiting for you" and I come busting out at level 50+ crackling with power.

Legit surprised STUPID PUNK KID didn't join me though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I like the new Item World. The whole no skipping thing is strange, but the whole experience is tightened up. I like that there are now level spheres you break and level fish you carry, the procedural generation seems to be improved (I haven't had anyone over on an inaccessible island yet), I like that there are now like nine paths instead of two or one in previous, it's all great. I need to do some grinding anyway, so I think I'll just stay here and build some items for a while. The fact that mystery rooms just happen between floors unannounced now instead of having a Mystery Gate is kinda interesting. Not sure how I feel about that one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are most of the little bonus rooms in the item world just free areas to change your gear out? A lot of them just have NPCs saying funny stuff but a couple have been directly interactable. Just curious if each one has something special in it or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are most of the little bonus rooms in the item world just free areas to change your gear out? A lot of them just have NPCs saying funny stuff but a couple have been directly interactable. Just curious if each one has something special in it or something.

Almost every one has a hidden trigger which turns it into a fight, usually by talking to a specific NPC multiple times.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh neat. Thanks.

One more thing...I just hit chapter 8 and was sort of half paying attention and approved a "I want to train martial arts" bill, I thought it said that was a new squad but I don't see it on the list and googling just brings up a bunch of stuff about the class...What exactly did I just unlock?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh neat. Thanks.

One more thing...I just hit chapter 8 and was sort of half paying attention and approved a "I want to train martial arts" bill, I thought it said that was a new squad but I don't see it on the list and googling just brings up a bunch of stuff about the class...What exactly did I just unlock?

You unlocked the Martial Training level. It's basically a level dedicated entirely to grinding. Once you finish it once every successive visit to the level has +EXP geostones in place for easy grinding. Advancing in the game allows you to unlock higher and higher levels. The second to last is just a 3x3 square of 800~ level enemies on a +Mana + EXP grid. The last is nothing but Lucky Assholes of various types.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh neat.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm only in chapter 2 but I like this game a whole lot. I haven't played an N1 game since like... La Pucelle, I think. Lots of fun.

Oh-hohohohoho

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My favorite part is buying it off the store and playing it off the hybrid drive. Load times in this game were always the worst part.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
I have to say buying the season pass right off kind of feels like cheating. Having a lvl 1 that punches for 300-400 makes things a bit trivial.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for all the subclassing/class level info. Makes a lot more sense now.

Another thing I'm noticing (and this is the first Disgaea I've played since the original, so maybe this has been a thing for a while) is that a lot of the advanced classes are more sidegrades than straight-up upgrades, at least at the first level. I remember Shinobi + Ninja being unequivocal upgrades over Fighters/Brawlers but now there are more tradeoffs, which is neat. Any recommendations in terms of strong unique skills?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Huntsekker posted:

I have to say buying the season pass right off kind of feels like cheating. Having a lvl 1 that punches for 300-400 makes things a bit trivial.

For me it's how to put a party together what with the dozen or more great uniques I have access to now. Makes the story characters seem kind of lame. Of course with everyone in the twenties I don't even know what their eventual unlocks will be.

Ok another question, what are the sources of special skills?

Like, obviously there are the weapon based ones. Seems to be tied straight to mastery level.

Unique story characters have some. I assume they get them at certain character level.

Are there class based ones? Otherwise am I stuck hoping to get lucky finding a star scroll for flonne or whatever to branch out a caster? Can I earn them through subclassing?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

dukerson posted:

Thanks for all the subclassing/class level info. Makes a lot more sense now.

Another thing I'm noticing (and this is the first Disgaea I've played since the original, so maybe this has been a thing for a while) is that a lot of the advanced classes are more sidegrades than straight-up upgrades, at least at the first level. I remember Shinobi + Ninja being unequivocal upgrades over Fighters/Brawlers but now there are more tradeoffs, which is neat. Any recommendations in terms of strong unique skills?

They changed that special stuff to evilities. Ninja wasn't better than a warrior and visa versa. Ninja could just dodge from all directions and counter good. Warriors had a lot of hp. The damage all comes from weapons and through grinding is reasonably pointless to argue which is better outside of the sizes of special moves. Remember the numbers are limitless.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, you use HL instead of mana to recruit new units. You don't even need to go to the Dark Assembly to get new guys now.

How many chapters in do I have to be before the Assembly and the Item World open up?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Swagger Dagger posted:

Oh-hohohohoho

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Speedball posted:

Huh, you use HL instead of mana to recruit new units. You don't even need to go to the Dark Assembly to get new guys now.

How many chapters in do I have to be before the Assembly and the Item World open up?

the start of chapter 3 i think

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I wish there was an easier way to manage/keep track of all your different characters. Like, have a separate screen for your research dudes, etc. It's kind of annoying to be honest.

Also waiting for my Statisticians to have babies at my Innocent Farm is taking forrrrrever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Annoyingly, there isn't a help explanation for what Capture Squads DO or what capturing enemies does for you.

So, what do they do?

• Locked thread