Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

I have never played a Disgaea game before, always wanted to. I really loved Final Fantasy Tactics a lot, but that was the only isometric strategy game I've ever played.

From what I see in videos and reviews, this game requires a lot, a lot, a LOT of tinkering with and breaking the mechanics. I watched a video on Youtube today where the player fights a "Super Overlord Baal" and I couldn't even understand what the hell was going on.

Is this a game a newbie can pick up, learn and enjoy? I mean, for example, I play XCOM on Classic Ironman and enjoy it, but this game seems like a whole different beast, it looks really confusing for a beginner. I downloaded the demo last night and played it to the end, I could understand the basics of the mechanics, but there was a LOT going on there as well that I just knew I just *kinda* understood. Never seen so many numers and menus in my life, frankly, and I used to play a lot of AD&D when I was younger.

Kinda scared of paying for a game that will be too much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Endorph posted:

It's not really complicated. Higher numbers = better. There's no real choice involved in which numbers to make higher, the game is just about grinding and ways to setup grinding.

Hahaha in that "Super Overlord Baal" video I watched there were some high numbers, alright. SOMEONE dealt 46 billion damage with one strike at some point but I couldn't understand who dealt the damage to whom, so... but that was a VERY high number, someone was definitely doing something right there.

Something scary was that the guy who made that video unlocked an EVEN HARDER fight after that one and from his description he would not even bother trying. And he sounded like a VERY, VERY experienced player and he just gave up!

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

The good thing about Disgaea is there are a lot of exit points. Like yeah Super Baal requires a ton of cheesing and billions in stats, hundreds of hours of setup for just that one fight. But that's the far end of the post game. You can usually beat the campaign in a Disgaea game at level 100 in 30-40 hours, with store bought weapons. At that point, there's always another boss mission juuuuuuuuust outside your reach, and it's up to you whether you want to go do it or not. It's quite nice. Or, in D5, you can just hide in a corner and chug sodas for an hour and become invincible to anything in the main plot.

IMPORTANT PROTIP: using an item in battle, even a 30 credit soda, will give you an eighth of a level no questions asked. Doesn't matter if it's level 2 or level 9999. So you sit in the tutorial level and pound 800 drinks? Congrats you can probably finish the campaign.

What the HELL? is that intended? Using sodas to level up like crazy like that??

But thanks for the answers everyone, I think I'll go ahead and buy it, yeah. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Also it's worth noting that people are currently doing the soda trick because the demo vastly restricts your options and it's faster than grinding on lv 4 enemies. In the actual game you will find much much faster ways to level up involving the cheat shop, Cave of Ordeals or similar, and the EXP share Squad.

Alright, about the demo then. There is a quest there that if I complete will unlock the Archer class. I need, from what I remember, a Fighter lvl 2 and a Mage or Healer lvl 2. I reached lvl 2 with both but didn't complete the quest. Is that intended or is the game talking about the STARS instead?

If so, how should I do to add more stars to a character type? By leveling up too?

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

It's class EXP, your "stars". I'm not sure if anyone has fully solved the mechanics of it, but it's not 100% tied to level exp. Best way to get it right now seems to be just killing dudes or breaking items like the crates in 1-2 with the unit. The enemies in 1-4 seem to give the best returns per time right now, but you'll need to be lv 4-5 to one shot them dependably.

Aaahh, alright! Thank you!

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah it's called 'class mastery' I believe. The recruiter has a blurb on it. It's a simplification of the 'ranks' idea from earlier games. If you fill a star in say fighter not only do you unlock the next fighter class for recruiting, your character I think advances into that class too which should mean better stat and weapon aptitudes.

Ahh nice to know. By the way, what is the "secondary weapon" for? Can I switch during the battle and use a bow instead of a sword, for example? Sometimes my character would swap on his own and I got confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Apparently the sub-weapons are designed so you can have two weapons equipped simultaneously, switching which is active on a free-action basis. To do this, highlight the attack command and hit d-pad right to switch to your sub-weapons. This allows, say, a Magic Knight, who constantly switches between melee and spells, to have both a staff and sword available. There will be later Evilities (special abilities) that allow you to dual wield and make an attack with each.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/835980-disgaea-5-alliance-of-vengeance/72544918

This was not communicated well in the demo.

Right. Cool, thank you.

Now it's only a matter of waiting some months until there's a good discount. Due to the economic crisis here in Brazil, our currency is now worth approximately poo poo. Therefore the game costs us ~250 credits. Completely unreasonable for a digital download.

• Locked thread