Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's called 'class mastery' I believe. The recruiter has a blurb on it. It's a simplification of the 'ranks' idea from earlier games. If you fill a star in say fighter not only do you unlock the next fighter class for recruiting, your character I think advances into that class too which should mean better stat and weapon aptitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok a few questions from someone who has only played the ps2 games:

For the recruitment quests that need rank 2 of x or y, what counts as a brawler? That word doesn't appear anywhere else in the entire game...

I made a female fist user from whatever class has the movement evade evility, I can't recall. Hopefully that qualifies? Levelling masteries in that, the mage, the healer, and the fighter is really slow as they're not as good as the uniques so maybe I'm not going about this the right way.

Is there no pupil arrangements any more? I'd like to put all elements onto a single skull for example. It feels like that is what scrolls or the skill shop are for now.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Finished up poisondose and a couple 10 floor runs last night. Everything was pretty hard for a while but I seem to have gotten over the hump. Here is my noob pro tip:

Give every character a subclass as soon as you unlock the assembly. They seem to grow at least 3x as fast as your actual class. You can even make your own class your subclass. I was getting nowhere on the unlock quests until I did this.

Now a question about interrogation. How does it work and what is it for? Maybe I need to put more guys in the squad but it takes forever (3+ levels worth) to wear someone down and once I do I get what, another generic I could have hired for a few k hl? I mean I do have a ton of empty squad and research slots I guess...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pixaal posted:

You say that like HL or mana is even a concern past the early post game. It will help to get there quicker sure but grinding your weapons is the real trick for power.

With the cheat shop they're all equivalent right?

Where's the option to change the base bgm anyway?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
'Other' Killia and in the end of episode vignettes is actually fine. It's just everyday lines by him that really get me. Eh it's fine. The VA for lost baddies is pretty casual and everyday for supposed soldiers too but w/e.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

dukerson posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious with class levels/stars -- my units are gaining subclass levels/stars way faster than their actual class (I gave my Brawler Maid as a subclass and he got the first two Maid stars before he even got the first Brawler star.) Is there some other mechanic going on here?

Nope I noticed it last night. Seems pretty essential. Stack mage on your mage to amp up the rate.

It's not clear to me what earning them does though.

1) Unlock the higher tier class at the recruiter
2) Progress towards new generic unlock quests
3) Eventually you get access to the class evility?
4) You can use class specials?

I haven't played any other Disgaea game with evilities. Some seem really good, like if you can stack the skull and mage ones together..

e:Another question, what's the deal with towers?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Huntsekker posted:

I have to say buying the season pass right off kind of feels like cheating. Having a lvl 1 that punches for 300-400 makes things a bit trivial.

For me it's how to put a party together what with the dozen or more great uniques I have access to now. Makes the story characters seem kind of lame. Of course with everyone in the twenties I don't even know what their eventual unlocks will be.

Ok another question, what are the sources of special skills?

Like, obviously there are the weapon based ones. Seems to be tied straight to mastery level.

Unique story characters have some. I assume they get them at certain character level.

Are there class based ones? Otherwise am I stuck hoping to get lucky finding a star scroll for flonne or whatever to branch out a caster? Can I earn them through subclassing?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ Are you beating it at 20 stars? I'm not there yet but that feels like it would be quite the jump...

Geokinesis posted:

What is the Season Pass DLC actually do, and how much is it? (So I can guess how much it'll be in the UK)

You get access to several uniques immediately and around 8-10 ~3 episode stories each with intro and outro cutscenes and 1-3 additional uniques per. You will eventually be able to get these episodes piecemeal for a bit more I think. Clear them all asap as they level up with your party and can get really hard imo.

So here's the thing I did that really, really, accelerated and opened up the game for me in a huge way: Always Be Researching! Every chapter or two another research ship slot unlocks. Do yourself a favour and create ten throwaway characters and send them off. I have seven teams going constantly now and the returns are really huge. There are tons of advantages:

- You can't go wrong. If the NW is too hard for them they just take longer. NBD if you have six other teams making progress. Something usually happens every completed map or two. Definitely in a run down to a mr gencies for example.
- The equipment I'm getting at this point is much much better than I can buy at the store, even with every 'more expensive items' bill available to me passed
- I don't need a capture squad as I get 2-8 dudes every couple of maps anyway. I'm making good progress leveling the squads I want with no effort.
- All my other characters are leveling just as fast as my party or better
- Beating NW overlords gives some kind of unique weapon. It's not totally clear to me what's up with them but they sort differently in the item box and are of course super OP for my level.
- It's basically no work. Go in to the dude, accept report, go to hospital or not, send them to the next on the list.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What are the odds anything will be ported over to the ps4?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I know it's a series staple and everything but I really wish you could minimize the amount of time you spend farting around in the hub. Even if it was just something like "on the mission select screen you can press square to bring up the netherworld hospital" that'd be good enough for me.

After chapter 8ish you unlock a 'netherworld redesign shop' so I've placed all the important things next to each other. No more running around to get to the assembly or hospital or w/e. Every little bit helps.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jester Mcgee posted:

How does this work? The innocents come from the farm at level 1 and starred so they can't level in the farm and if your innocent farm squad is maxed they will be subdued already so you can't multiply them in the item world. Also I can't figure out how to combine subdued innocents with unsubdued ones in order to multiply them the way I did in D2. Basically I can't figure this stuff out.

Innocents can be born from subdued or unsubdued, maxed or unmaxed parent innocents. Their level be based on the level of the parents. You got a level 1 one probably because the parents were close to level one too. It looks like both newly born innocents and ones found on gear start at half their max level. (One exception to this is low level items where they start at .5 and 'round up ' to 1*)

This is how I bootstrapped my innocent stuff:

- Keep an eye out for innocents you want from returning netherworld research. This was by far my largest source of items and captured dudes. You can exit out then reopen the report to respawn the gear to scum for high level statistician/instructor/whatevers.
- While other poo poo is going on, let them sit in the farm and grow. Forget births for now and get those statistician 3s into 6* and 5s into 10* ones.
- Level your squads. Put the megaphone in your main char's subweapon slot to get lots of captees for leveling.
- Level interrogation high enough to drain everyone in one session. This was level max-2 for me using Killia.
- Max your innocent farm to boost birth rates
- Max your innocent capture squad (subdue ~5 to unlock. I got lucky and hit one of those treasure rooms fuil of them early on)

I did all this before any powerlevelling as I went through the story.

Then when you have a good supply of starred statistians (i.e. I had ~ 5 10*s, and 10 or so 8*s) go capture them.
- Fill out out your subdue squad to boost their appearance chance
- Use a legendary item to get six slots of potentials to find. Fill them up too, obviously.
- Skip fast to floor ten then pick the innocent route
- Move fast through floors and subdue with an innocent capture squad member. With the route bonus and capture bonus a 10* statistician will turn in to a subdued 80* (!!)
- Every ten floors leave, take care of NW research, swap out any subdued (I got ~1-3 per 10 floors) innocents for more 10* 8* or 6* ones.
- Repeat.

I got to ~1200 statisticians in like 70 floors and at most maybe a couple hours this way. I also had an item ready for the item god kill quest by doing this too.

Once you have two large innocents, likely from subduing, then you can leave them in the farm and they will birth a pretty large innocent too. Don't accidentally merge them! Once you have fat stacks of them you can pretty much ignore subduing as a mechanic and concentrate on other things.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rascyc posted:

Can you skip maxing aptitudes? That will definitely break me.

Being able to guarantee seeing miss evil for the +2percent to all is helpful. Also once you have a huge stock of items you can just taxi around or whatever for the aptitude up squares and additional shop spots.

Can someone explain how mastering classes affects stat growth? In D1 what your stats were at reincarnation and how many levels you had banked from previous reincarnations affected your lvl 1 stats which determined your final stats. It seems that's not so important any more and mastering classes is instead for some reason?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You really really shouldn't have a need to grind until about when you can handle martial training 1. Doing anything before is so inefficient by comparison as well as taking you out of the flow of the story I think it's counterproductive. I did exactly one extra run through of a level in the rooftop zone (~ch 8 map) that had exp & hl +50 added, but it's really truly unnecessary.

vv Agreed, I'm just saying something else. People grinding in chapter 2 or 4 are whatever are just hurting themselves. You can't even mess much with the cheat shop allocations at that point.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 20, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Welp don't make the mistake I did and level your rank 39 items any more than the minimum 80 to get the item god 2. I'm at +198 and the stupid thing has 30-40m in every stat and is impossible to steal from. I killed it twice with clever geo setups and boxins but plunder didn't proc. :/

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If you can spare the slots keep a plunder evility on your main killer. You'll be rolling in hundreds of incidental tier 37+ items incidentally.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo like that and endlessly doing chara world runs to up aptitudes for multiple characters is why I think I'm happy to call it quits at about 40M all stats I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's a great writeup Nakar and basically what I did. Though I ended up losing interest while getting 10M worth of extracts :)

• Locked thread