Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Earlier this year, I was in a really bad place following a car accident and losing a job and ended up going to a food bank a couple times before my EBT kicked in. That wide range of foods that were given away was just mind-boggling. I got some chicken quarters (which were really appreciated), a bunch of containers of milk (actually too much for me), a little smashed up carrot cake muffins from Trader Joe's, some really fancy loving English cheese, two bags of raspberries and a bread bowl. Just all over the place.

The biggest surprising thing was the Gaylord container full of 25 pounds of lentils. I'm guessing they got it from a food service place like a hotel or restaurant. Hardly anyone picked at it. I thought about it for a moment, but realized that I don't think I could even eat 25 pounds of lentils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

I've been there, and hearing someone else say it out loud is heart-breaking. I'm homeless right now and went to my first food bank yesterday. The people were very nice and kept trying to give me extra stuff that I couldn't/wouldn't use. I wish I had started going sooner befor my situation was this dire. If you have a home and a fridge, pay them a visit! They will help you and they're really casual too
Some banks will give you bus tokens or taxi vouchers btw.

You can also trade with folks if you have no need for some of the extras. I hadn't thought about it at the time, but I remember people asking me if I had gotten pet food because they'd be willing to trade for an extra bag of that. I could have trade some of those extra milks for instance that eventually spoiled for something else someone had had.

Szyznyk posted:

I like to donate the Banquet Homestead Bakes and big-assed containers of oatmeal. For ten bucks it's 2 dinners and breakfast for half the week.

A container of oatmeal and peanut butter goes a long way. Probably longer than a loaf of bread and peanut butter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

empty sea posted:

I made the worst dish I've ever eaten once out of desperation with all food bank ingredients on the last week before we could go back--- cheap mac n cheese and tuna but without any butter or dairy of any kind. The closest equivalent I had was water and chipotle mayo. That was the worst thing I've ever eaten. I don't even know how to describe the taste but it was soul-killing.

I forgot, I received a bag of mint chocolate chips one of the times I went to the food bank. I thought I'd never actually use them, especially after EBT funds, but not only did I start snacking with them, but I started making these grilled mint chip sandwiches out of desperation.

I wasn't exactly proud of finding this combination but it tasted pretty well.

• Locked thread