Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I volunteered at a soup kitchen, a few stories.

1) A place literally gave us a crate of near-rotten apples, like with worms and poo poo. And the other volunteers were putting them on the trays until I went through and threw away all the garbage ones to replace with something else.

2) We ran out of the stew or whatever we were serving one day, so the chef told the last 20 people in line that he was going to heat up some fried chicken for them. This caused uproarious cheers among the crowd.

3) I tried to interact with a kid by asking him what kind of dessert he wanted, you know since he's a kid and all. He gave me the most melancholy look imaginable and muttered "It don't matter do it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I worked in the kitchen for some food for poor old people program in highschool and they had weird tax fraud deals with all the local farms of like 'give us 8 pallets of strawberries but 4 of them can just be all the moldy gross junk you want to throw out so you can write it off as donations for taxes"

That makes a lot more sense in why they'd send us literal garbage. What really pissed me off was that the other volunteers were just putting them on people's trays, as if because they were poor enough to need free food they should eat rotten produce. I made some fruit cocktail cups for them instead.

• Locked thread