Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I had to visit the food bank for a while while I was living with my Dad and going to school and the money from EBT wasn't near enough to stretch between food, gas, rent and his girlfriend's need for jewelry or wtf. I remember a ton of canned veggies and tuna being the staples. Plus random stuff like nectarine juice, veggie "ground beef", a lot of pre-packaged fresh meals on their last legs and weird pastries, like gigantic cinnamon rolls. I used the vegetarian ground "beef" to make spaghetti. It was ok? Just a weird sweetness to it, but perfectly filling and edible. You could tell it wasn't meat, so the whole dish was a little off-putting but hell, I ate that for 3 days.

The worst part was getting all these parts of meals but not being able to make a whole traditional meal. Like, I could throw canned veggies together but that wouldn't be a stew, it would just be vegetables in hot juice because I rarely got tomato paste/sauce, etc to even make a veggie stew. My experience with food banks was mainly eat anything remotely fresh as soon as possible, then stare at canned food until I could find an acceptable combination.

I made the worst dish I've ever eaten once out of desperation with all food bank ingredients on the last week before we could go back--- cheap mac n cheese and tuna but without any butter or dairy of any kind. The closest equivalent I had was water and chipotle mayo. That was the worst thing I've ever eaten. I don't even know how to describe the taste but it was soul-killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread