Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I am really lazy and got busier than I thought today so instead of writing something up I plagiarized wikipedia.

Sesame seed is a common ingredient in various cuisines. It is used whole in cooking for its rich, nutty flavour. Sesame seeds are sometimes added to breads, including bagels and the tops of hamburger buns. Sesame seeds may be baked into crackers, often in the form of sticks. In Sicily and France, the seeds are eaten on bread (ficelle sésame, sesame thread). In Greece, the seeds are also used in cakes.

Fast-food restaurants use buns with tops sprinkled with sesame seeds. About 75% of Mexico's sesame crop is purchased by McDonald's for use in their sesame seed buns worldwide.

In Asia, sesame seeds are sprinkled onto some sushi-style foods. In Japan, whole seeds are found in many salads and baked snacks, and tan and black sesame seed varieties are roasted and used to make the flavouring gomashio. East Asian cuisines, like Chinese cuisine, use sesame seeds and oil in some dishes, such as dim sum, sesame seed balls (Chinese: 麻 糰; pinyin: mátuǎn or 煎堆; Cantonese: jin deui), and the Vietnamese bánh rán. Sesame flavour (through oil and roasted or raw seeds) is also very popular in Korean cuisine, used to marinate meat and vegetables. Chefs in tempura restaurants blend sesame and cottonseed oil for deep-frying.

Sesame, or simsim as it is known in East Africa, is used in African cuisine. In Togo, the seeds are a main soup ingredient and in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and in the north of Angola, wangila is a delicious dish of ground sesame, often served with smoked fish or lobster.

Sesame seeds and oil are used extensively in India. In most parts of the country, sesame seeds mixed with heated jaggery, sugar, or palm sugar is made into balls and bars similar to peanut brittle or nut clusters and eaten as snacks. In Manipur, black sesame is used in the preparation of thoiding and in singju (a kind of salad). Thoiding is prepared with ginger and chili and vegetables are used in the spicy singu dish. In Assam, black sesame seeds are used to make til pitha and tilor laru (sesame seed balls) during bihu. In Punjab and Tamil Nadu, a sweet ball called pinni (پنی) in Urdu and ell urundai in Tamil, ellunda (എള്ളുണ്ട) in Malayalam, yellunde (sesame ball, usually in jaggery) in Kannada and tilgul in Marathi, is made of its seeds mixed with sugar. It is eaten in various forms during the festival of Makar Sankranti.

Also in Tamil Nadu, sesame oil used extensively in their cuisine, milagai podi, a ground powder made of sesame and dry chili is used to enhance flavor, and is consumed along with other traditional foods such as idli. In Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, sesame oil is used as a preservative, as well as to temper the heat of their spicy foods, pickles, and condiments.

Sesame seed cookies and wafers, both sweet and savory, are popular in places such as Charleston, South Carolina. Sesame seeds, also called benne, are believed to have been brought into 17th-century colonial America by West African slaves. Since then, they have become part of various American cuisines.

In Caribbean cuisine, sugar and white sesame seeds are combined into a bar resembling peanut brittle and sold in stores and street corners.

Sesame is a popular and essential ingredient in many Middle Eastern cuisines. Sesame seeds are made into a paste called tahini (used in various ways, including hummus bi tahini) and the Middle Eastern confection halvah. Ground and processed, the seed is also used in sweet confections.

In South Asia, Middle East, and East Asian cuisines, popular confectionery are made from sesame mixed with honey or syrup and roasted into a sesame candy. In Japanese cuisine goma-dofu (胡麻豆腐) is made from sesame paste (tahini) and starch.

Mexican cuisine refers to sesame seeds as ajonjolí. It is mainly used as a sauce additive, such as mole or adobo. It is often also used to sprinkle over artisan breads and baked in traditional form to coat the smooth dough, especially on whole-wheat flatbreads or artisan nutrition bars, such as alegrías.

In Sicilian cuisine, what are commonly called "Italian sesame seed cookies" are known as giuggiuleni . A giuggiulena usually refers to a cookie, while a giurgiulena usually refers to a nougat-like candy, often made as a Christmas food. Both are alternative spellings for "sesame seed" in the Sicilian language.

Sesame oil is sometimes used as a cooking oil in different parts of the world, though different forms have different characteristics for high-temperature frying. The "toasted" form of the oil (as distinguished from the "cold-pressed" form) has a distinctive pleasant aroma and taste, and is used as table condiment in some regions, especially in East Asia. Toasted sesame oil is also added to flavor soups and other hot dishes, usually just before serving, to avoid dissipating the volatile scents too rapidly.

Although sesame leaves are edible as a leaf vegetable, recipes for Korean cuisine calling for "sesame leaves" are often a mistranslation, and really mean perilla.

Welcome to ICSA Sesame! Here are the rules:

You must make at least FIVE dishes, including one dessert and one drink. All dishes must include sesame in some form, and you must use both black and white sesame at least once. Acceptable forms include whole seeds, sesame oil, tahini, and sesame butter, although you are also welcome to make those yourself. Entries are due by midnight Pacific time on October 25th. No late entries, you have a whole goddamn month.

Prizes:
1st prize - a copy of our lord and saviour Kenji's new book (or equivalent, if you already have it) and a $30 gift card to Penzey's
2nd prize - $30 gift card to Penzey's
Chairman's prize - something I'll dig out of the couch cushions

Drink and Fight fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Wow five dishes. I'm assuming it doesn't have to be made all at once?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Rurutia posted:

Wow five dishes. I'm assuming it doesn't have to be made all at once?

Encouraged, but not required. I don't think most people ever really did that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Oh snap!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I will definitely be taking part. And doing all five courses in one, because that's what I always do.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This is a gorgeous picture.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Wow, actual prizes, a good OP, and decent theme. gently caress it, it has been forever since I've ICSAd, I'm in.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I want to but I'm not sure if I will have the time/money. I feel like the drink will be the hard part... I might start infusing something with toasted sesame soon

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm not afraid to admit that this is beyond me. All I've ever used Sesame for is the oil, and bread. I don't really think I can come up with five competitive courses.

I might do 3 courses and a drink just for funsies and a pat on the back, if that's okay. Because I've never had a 5 course meal in my life.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I couldn't really even do the three course ICSAs, so I'm out as well. I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries, though!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm not afraid to admit that this is beyond me. All I've ever used Sesame for is the oil, and bread. I don't really think I can come up with five competitive courses.

I might do 3 courses and a drink just for funsies and a pat on the back, if that's okay. Because I've never had a 5 course meal in my life.

Google some of the dishes in the OP for inspiration!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drink and Fight posted:

Google some of the dishes in the OP for inspiration!

Unfortunately, I really feel that doing other countries or cultures dishes without any foreknowledge or understanding of them is inherently disrespectful. Absolutely not judging anyone else here, I just feel like a shill when I do it, and can't resist stupidly 'americanizing' dishes for my own convenience, which I have been yelled at for before. I also would have no loving idea what I was doing, and the entire post would consist of me fumbling around and cheating to make things look edible. I want to take a stab at Sesame noodles, sesame ginger soup, and some sesame treat. I would like to maybe venture into Dry Kyay oh salad, but that would be a lot of guessing and futzing, and not do the original dish it's merit. It's also kinda hard to find sources in english for this dish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjn3jRGOU4Q is adorable, but not the source I need it seems.

Unless we can make this "Experiment with and possibly destroy a national culture with sesame" and promise no-one or their grandma is going to be super annoyed when I bacconate their beloved homeland's food.

I'm just concerned is all.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 29, 2015

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just make a food. I'm British, so I've bastardises other people's cultures in pretty much every ICSA I've done, and it's been fine.

Edit: and I'm going to do the same thing this time, too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

"Experiment with and possibly destroy a national culture with sesame"

Sounds like a great idea tbh

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Really. Cultural appropriation via the table is pretty much our raison d'etre.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm busy with work, so I was going to sit this one out. However, we eat a lot of sesame in my house, so Mrs. Squashy is excited about the theme.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

Sounds like a great idea tbh

All right, I'll give it a shot, but y'all better not skewer me when I gently caress up your traditional food.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

All right, I'll give it a shot, but y'all better not skewer me when I gently caress up your traditional food.

:rolleyes:

Contemplating this.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

:rolleyes:

Contemplating this.

Can we have an 'intentionally bastardizing beloved cuisine' thread/party/contest some day? Then everyone can be mad, but also full, so it's harder to really fight. Even the GBS emigrants can get in on it and have a safe space to gently caress around! Le the Bacon Cheeseburger Matzo Ball times roll.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Can we have an 'intentionally bastardizing beloved cuisine' thread/party/contest some day? Then everyone can be mad, but also full, so it's harder to really fight. Even the GBS emigrants can get in on it and have a safe space to gently caress around! Le the Bacon Cheeseburger Matzo Ball times roll.

Hell I was thinking about doing that with this one just to be funny. Wanted to think a bit longer on some actual recipes 1st though before going that route.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Suspect Bucket posted:

Dude, in my country, Chinese food (home cooked as well as Chinese restaurant made) is predominantly Indonesian,
so yeah, I guess I win thát contest.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have bought some ingredients! There is now no turning back. Better invite some game and willing people round for a possibly abhorrent meal!

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I've never done one of these things before and it seems that most of the old ones require archives to view, so could someone please fill me in on how it works? Do you just make stuff according to the guidelines and then post the pics/description in this thread? How does judging work? What differentiates a good entry from bad one?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PDP-1 posted:

Do you just make stuff according to the guidelines and then post the pics/description in this thread?

Correct.

PDP-1 posted:

How does judging work?

A poll is posted after the submission deadline ends and is voted upon.

PDP-1 posted:

What differentiates a good entry from bad one?

Effort. Creativity. Photos. Humor.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

PDP-1 posted:

I've never done one of these things before and it seems that most of the old ones require archives to view, so could someone please fill me in on how it works? Do you just make stuff according to the guidelines and then post the pics/description in this thread? How does judging work? What differentiates a good entry from bad one?

post a photo journal of the steps you take to make some good food, and post final dish pictures. narrate it. well.

judging is a poll thread. a good entry is someone who spent a lot of time thinking about their meal conceptually, took great photos, played to their audience, and narrated their thread with aplomb.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Dunno if I'll be able to handle 5 dishes, but whether or not I enter, I'm looking forward to everyone else's entries!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hells yeah. In.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Are black sesame seeds sold in a specific kind of store? I've only ever seen the white ones where I am. I always assumed black sesame seeds in pictures were just toasted white sesame seeds.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

contrapants posted:

Are black sesame seeds sold in a specific kind of store? I've only ever seen the white ones where I am. I always assumed black sesame seeds in pictures were just toasted white sesame seeds.

I buy mine from ethnic stores, either indian or asian. They are unhulled so a little different.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

contrapants posted:

nope, they are not the same...I buy them in ethnic stores, but cannot find them in every ethnic store (generally in big stores)

edit to add that those are typically stores run by Chinese people

second edit to add that black sesame ice cream goes extremely well with ripe mango...

paraquat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 30, 2015

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I got mine off Amazon, because I am lazy.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
An opportunity to bastardize/insult two of my favorite cuisines, Turkish and Levantine? Aw yeah, I'm in.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

e: vvv OK, I get it now. I didn't understand why there were so many ICSA threads floating around with similar titles.

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 4, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that all looks pretty good. traditionally you make your own thread though, tagged with ICSA - you should c+p your post and do that!

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Alrighty, new entry thread is up!

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

OMG I HAVE A REAL KITCHEN NOW and this is such a terrific battle!!! WOOO!!!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just had my guest list increase by one. Now my primary concern has stopped being the food: where the gently caress am I supposed to find a FIFTH chair?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I just had my guest list increase by one. Now my primary concern has stopped being the food: where the gently caress am I supposed to find a FIFTH chair?

Walmart probably

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Stack your beer cans and put some cardboard on top. You now have a chair for the lightest person. For fun poke one can with a pencil while the guest is sitting in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Get a really lovely folding chair from the salvation army and scowl at them all night for messing up the seating arraignments.

• Locked thread