Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

CommieGIR posted:

Juicing is a different way of saying "Cooking the books"

China masks actual growth numbers with artificial economic stimulation.

I don't think even the Chinese central government knows how fast the country is actually growing because local officials have an incentive to inflate growth figures so they get promoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

CommieGIR posted:

Juicing is a different way of saying "Cooking the books"

China masks actual growth numbers with artificial economic stimulation.

I don't think that's what Helsing meant.

And while we can debate the numbers, there is no question China has grown "a lot".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

asdf32 posted:

I don't think that's what Helsing meant.

And while we can debate the numbers, there is no question China has grown "a lot".

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2015/07/chinese-economy
http://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-true-growth-is-a-mysteryeconomists-weigh-the-clues-1430071125

No, they are not growing as much as they think they are. In fact, like Typo pointed out, its entirely possible the government is no longer even sure how much growth is real and how much is masked by inflated numbers and government stimulus.

What's more, China's growth, whatever growth is there, is steadily slowing. We can't be sure how much of the growth is real. They have grown a lot. But that doesn't mean their growth is sustainable or even fully fleshed out.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Typo posted:

Poor countries with really awful institutions grow pretty fast too, India and Egypt pre-2011 are two examples.
Yes, but that's also because Latin American countries are pretty rich relative to the world average.

Argentina, which is arguably the best example of lost economic potential in Latin America, is pretty much a first world country.

I mean more graduating from middle income to high income, which is what Latin America failed to do and has basically never been done outside of edge cases like South Korea, which is still at the poor end of developed countries

And no, wiki has Argentina at $13,000 GDP/capita, it's nowhere near the US or Western Europe

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 30, 2015

asdf32
May 15, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I mean more graduating from middle income to high income, which is what Latin America failed to do and has basically never been done outside of edge cases like South Korea, which is still at the poor end of developed countries

And no, wiki has Argentina at $13,000 GDP/capita, it's nowhere near the US or Western Europe

The other Asian tigers, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and then Japan before that are the primary examples.

The best conclusion is that it comes down to decent government which is able to improve institutions as the economy develops. With "bad government" (very hard to define) you stall like Argentina (which was unstable and made some huge mistakes).

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 30, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

asdf32 posted:

The other Asian tigers, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and then Japan before that are the primary examples.

The best conclusion is that it comes down to decent government which is able to improve institutions as the economy develops. With "bad government" (very hard to define) you stall like Argentina (which was unstable and made some huge mistakes).

Can you be more specific with your statement? Draw correlation to what you're saying and talk about what caused it? Provide information or at least "talk in theory"? Explain what parts are missing things like that.

I wouldn't be a hardass about it if the data wasn't out there already.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Veskit posted:

Can you be more specific with your statement? Draw correlation to what you're saying and talk about what caused it? Provide information or at least "talk in theory"? Explain what parts are missing things like that.

I wouldn't be a hardass about it if the data wasn't out there already.

I'm not sure what you're asking for but we're pretty far from the topic of the thread. Those are a list of countries which have succeeded at developing.

But development economics is far larger in scope than fiscal or monetary policy. Both play a role behind the scenes but are actually subordinate to the overall political/economic environment (I.E trade policy, regulations, stability, rule of law etc).

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Japan shouldn't really be on that list, it started industrializing in the 1880s. You might as well put Germany on there too.

The fact is that South Korea, Taiwan, and a handful of tax havens, oil baronies and city states don't really constitute a meaningful body of evidence that moving past the middle income trap is feasible for most developing countries

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

asdf32 posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking for but we're pretty far from the topic of the thread. Those are a list of countries which have succeeded at developing.

But development economics is far larger in scope than fiscal or monetary policy. Both play a role behind the scenes but are actually subordinate to the overall political/economic environment (I.E trade policy, regulations, stability, rule of law etc).

Explain how Agentina's "bad government" dictates fiscal policy and how it is crumbling their economy. Or come up with something more imaginative. If you bring up trade policy then that's always interchanged with monetary policy. Regulations are often fiscal policy driven, stability is can be about collecting. Do something.

icantfindaname posted:

Japan shouldn't really be on that list, it started industrializing in the 1880s. You might as well put Germany on there too.

The fact is that South Korea, Taiwan, and a handful of tax havens, oil baronies and city states don't really constitute a meaningful body of evidence that moving past the middle income trap is feasible for most developing countries

What's the middle income trap?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Veskit posted:

Basically the inability of a country, once it has progressed from a subsistence economy to a basic industrialized one, to continue increases in productivity and GDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_income_trap

quote:

The middle income trap is a theorized economic development situation, where a country which attains a certain income (due to given advantages) will get stuck at that level.[1]
A country in the middle income trap will have lost their competitive edge in the exportation of manufactured goods because their wages are on a rising trend. However, they are unable to keep up with economically more developed economies in the high-value-added market. As a result, newly industrialised economies such as South Africa and Brazil have not, for decades, left what the World Bank defines as the 'middle-income range' since their per capita gross national product has remained between $10,000 to $12,000 at constant (2011) prices.[1] They suffer from low investment, slow growth in the secondary industry, limited industrial diversification and poor labor market conditions.[3]
Avoidance

Avoiding the middle income trap entails identifying strategies to introduce new processes and find new markets to maintain export growth. Ramping up domestic demand is also important—an expanding middle class can use its increasing purchasing power to buy high-quality, innovative products and help drive growth.[4]

The biggest challenge is moving from resource-driven growth that is dependent on cheap labor and capital to growth based on high productivity and innovation. This requires investments in infrastructure and education--building a high-quality education system which encourages creativity and supports breakthroughs in science and technology .[5]

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 30, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Basically the inability of a country, once it has progressed from a subsistence economy to a basic industrialized one, to continue increases in productivity and GDP, usually because of bad institutions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_income_trap

I think I learned about this back in school a while back in where countries try sending their bright students to foreign colleges to gain a ton of knowledge and then they never move back and waste a lot of money being unable to fund education themselves and get stuck in that cycle.

You could devalue the currency a lot but unless you have something to export besides cheap rear end labor then you're stuck in that. Is India on the cusp of being there?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Veskit posted:

Basically, that there is a intrinsic difficulty for "middle income" states (12-30k GDP per capita PPP ish) to move to higher income status for a variety of reasons. One of them is simply the cut throat nature of manufacturing where usually the lowest wages win and thus investment will flow to stable low income states such as India, Bangladesh and Vietnam.

Anyway, Taiwan/South Korea/Japan all have the similarity of being US allies that heavily invested in electronics manufacturing during the post-war period. However, this doesn't seem to be an immediate path to success that is easy to copy especially since electronics manufacturing has become far more globalized over time. That said, there are plenty of things that went wrong in Brazil, Argentina, and Russia and there isn't a whole lot to fix it. Hell, it even looks like Chinese growth is slowing long just as they reached middle income status.

Ultimately, I think Taiwan/South Korea/Japan grew during a "goldilocks" zone from 1945-1997 when global competition was limited, and there was gigantic ROI in manufacturing, especially for the US market. Admittedly, stability helped as well as an successful invested strategy, and a open and prosperous potential market.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Veskit posted:

I think I learned about this back in school a while back in where countries try sending their bright students to foreign colleges to gain a ton of knowledge and then they never move back and waste a lot of money being unable to fund education themselves and get stuck in that cycle.

You could devalue the currency a lot but unless you have something to export besides cheap rear end labor then you're stuck in that. Is India on the cusp of being there?

India's not even at that point yet, middle income is usually around $10,000/capita/year GDP, while India according to Wikipedia is at $1800. Middle income countries are basically Latin America, China, Russia and Eastern Europe, along with the less hosed up parts of SE Asia and the ME like Turkey and Malaysia

But the point is that even once you've gotten past the immediate barriers to development that face the poorest tier of countries, like civil war and political dysfunction, lack of capital to invest in basic industry and infrastructure, etc, there are still shitloads of very hard to fix institutional issues standing in the way of growth

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 30, 2015

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Veskit posted:

Explain how Agentina's "bad government" dictates fiscal policy and how it is crumbling their economy. Or come up with something more imaginative. If you bring up trade policy then that's always interchanged with monetary policy. Regulations are often fiscal policy driven, stability is can be about collecting. Do something.

I don't have a clue what many of the answers are except some of the bigger picture observations of the Asian tigers or the first world before them.

The point that you should take at the moment is that it's not smart to try and lump everything under fiscal or monetary policy. They're just a subset of overall economic policy and not the most important. It's fine to talk about them. But you can't expect the major developmental questions of our time to be phrased in terms of them alone. Which is what it seems you're askin me to do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

Middle income countries are basically Latin America, China, Russia and Eastern Europe, along with the less hosed up parts of SE Asia and the ME like Turkey and Malaysia

The contrast between Latin America and Eastern Europe, including Turkey, is quite illustrative of the main problem facing these countries, I think. Eastern Europe has been doing really well, almost invariably, since the fall of the Iron Curtain, and especially since the beginning of their EEC association. Latin America in contrast has been generally struggling, for decades, to get out of stagnation.

There are some apparent possible causes, like different structural paths of development, but the truth is that even countries that didn't rely on e.g. the structural shortcut (i.e. skipping to a service economy without having prior extensive industrial economy), that is mostly countries influenced by the doctrine of Latin American structuralism (Celso Furtado etc.), and which as a result followed a path similar to that of Eastern European countries before the 1990s (national interventionism in preferred industries with little focus on securing foreign investments and emphasis on income distribution), saw themselves falling into one crisis after another. So what is the key difference between the winners and losers in this middle income category?

I'd argue it's a systematic predisposition for protectionism in the Latin American countries, borne arguably out of the structuralist legacy and intrenched in institutional path dependency, vs. dedication to open markets in Eastern Europe, Turkey etc., even if such dedication had to be enforced from above, by intergovernmental and supranational processes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What effects have the Eurozone bailouts had on the relative value of the Euro? I would think that it would have remained similar or increased in relative value as lenders were investing money into these countries, but I'm pretty new to finance, especially on large-scale levels like this.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has there ever been any situation where high interest rates have led to job growth?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Has there ever been any situation where high interest rates have led to job growth?

They might have existed at the same time but I doubt there's any mechanism where raising interest rates also decreases unemployment.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

The intention is to stabilize the economy to prevent a future bust. That's the main benefit. Job growth isn't really it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

They might have existed at the same time but I doubt there's any mechanism where raising interest rates also decreases unemployment.

asdf32 posted:

The intention is to stabilize the economy to prevent a future bust. That's the main benefit. Job growth isn't really it.

So is it safe to say that it's nearly impossible to have good job growth without reasonably low interest rates?

Cause I would think this would be a fairly easy way to rebut conservative claims that tight money is good for the economy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

So is it safe to say that it's nearly impossible to have good job growth without reasonably low interest rates?

Not... really

It's shown that lower rates do help with unemployment, but that's a tough thing to show when there's so many variable that it could be a hard fact. Plus you're supposed to raise the rates as unemployment is going down so it makes it even harder.

Also austerity is pretty much proven to be good for the economy... when you're rich anyway. It's also good when you have too much growth in the Keynesian sense.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Cause I would think this would be a fairly easy way to rebut conservative claims that tight money is good for the economy.

Not necessarily. Brazil had good job growth with like 11% interest rates, it just depends on what rates people are used to. If they've been at 10% of 20 years people get used to it, if you raise them up to 15% it will lead to job loss (probably).

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
High interest rates encourage saving (because savings accounts will earn more interest). Low interest rates encourage investment (because investing your extra money becomes more profitable compared to saving it) and borrowing(because it's cheaper to take on debt). Thus low interest rates encourage inflation (more people and companies buying things increases demand and therefore prices), and high interest rates encourage the opposite effect.

A smart central bank will use interest rates to balance the extremes of economic growth. If the economy is going strong and inflation is rising, the central bank will raise interest rates to slow growth and lower inflation before bubbles form, pop, and crash the economy. If the economy is poo poo and there's not enough demand, the central bank will lower interest rates to ward off deflation and accelerate the recovery. That's what the federal reserve has been doing since 2008.

So insofar as raising interest rates is a tool a central bank can use to keep the economy on track, it can lower unemployment in the long run. But right now high interest rates would be counterproductive.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Interweb posted:

Very low interest rates sustained for a long time will probably lead to a bubble and job loss, so the answer is that while moderate or high interest rates don't stimulate job growth per se, they are important to actually protect jobs from imploding.

E; FB, should read all replies before posting.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Japan is on the list because Japan industrialized without benefiting from cultural or geographic proximity with western european first world countries. The 1880's is almost a century later than some of the first industrial states.

The point is that the middle income trap is only a trap in modern times given that dozens of now first world states got through, many of them with no real problem. The question of the trap is whether built-in economic advantages now exist that are holding back other states or not. I think the asian tigers are pretty powerful examples that significant economic barriers probably don't exist. Personally, like I said, I think the main barriers are political and still poorly understood.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The classic middle income trap countries seem to all have monstrous inequality.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there any interesting data on what inequality was like in advanced countries before 1945, say?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

Makes sense from the Kuznets Curve theoretical perspective.

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there any interesting data on what inequality was like in advanced countries before 1945, say?

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2011/09/picture.htm

This article has some graphs for couple dozen countries between 1900 and 2010, unfortunately their resolution is pretty awful.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

It's because those countries either never had the postwar middle class phase, or had it forcibly dismantled by the IMF and friends. Applies to Latin America, possibly/probably Turkey, possibly Russia if you squint a bit, etc

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The contrast between Latin America and Eastern Europe, including Turkey, is quite illustrative of the main problem facing these countries, I think. Eastern Europe has been doing really well, almost invariably, since the fall of the Iron Curtain, and especially since the beginning of their EEC association. Latin America in contrast has been generally struggling, for decades, to get out of stagnation.

There are some apparent possible causes, like different structural paths of development, but the truth is that even countries that didn't rely on e.g. the structural shortcut (i.e. skipping to a service economy without having prior extensive industrial economy), that is mostly countries influenced by the doctrine of Latin American structuralism (Celso Furtado etc.), and which as a result followed a path similar to that of Eastern European countries before the 1990s (national interventionism in preferred industries with little focus on securing foreign investments and emphasis on income distribution), saw themselves falling into one crisis after another. So what is the key difference between the winners and losers in this middle income category?

I'd argue it's a systematic predisposition for protectionism in the Latin American countries, borne arguably out of the structuralist legacy and intrenched in institutional path dependency, vs. dedication to open markets in Eastern Europe, Turkey etc., even if such dedication had to be enforced from above, by intergovernmental and supranational processes.

Can you go into more detail about this? I was under the impression that it was protectionism, and pretty heavy-handed protectionism at that, which allowed places like Taiwan, Korea and Japan to get to where they did.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

tekz posted:

Can you go into more detail about this? I was under the impression that it was protectionism, and pretty heavy-handed protectionism at that, which allowed places like Taiwan, Korea and Japan to get to where they did.

In that case though they found a ready export market to the US, so they had the best of both worlds. Basically, Taiwan/South Korea found something to export and Latin America didn't at least to the same extent. South Korea and Taiwan were both rather corrupt dictatorships of various forms for quite a while as well, so institutionally they really weren't that different.

I guess the question is why South Korea and Taiwan did so well at electronics manufacturing, and why the US was so open in allowing market access.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 4, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cold war. Cool kids club has perks.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

tekz posted:

They did but protection isn't a binary and import substitution policy which broadly speaking was practiced in Latin America is completely different than the export driven policy of the Asian Tigers.

Import substitution is true protection oriented around building internal industries and protecting them from global competition. The export driven policy of the Asian Tigers subsidized internal industries but then then forced them up against competitors in the global market (think Hyundai).

One take from wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import_substitution_industrialization posted:

Given import substitution's dependence upon its developed and isolated markets within Latin America, it relied upon the growth of a market that was limited in size. In most cases, the lack of experience in manufacturing, plus lack of competition, reduced innovation and efficiency, which restrained the quality of Latin American produced goods, while protectionist policies kept prices high.[14] In addition, power concentrated in the hands of a few decreased the incentive for entrepreneurial development.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Didn't the chaebols have a stranglehold on internal markets for a long enough while to be considered to be practicing 'import substitution'? At what point were they exposed to global competition?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

tekz posted:

Didn't the chaebols have a stranglehold on internal markets for a long enough while to be considered to be practicing 'import substitution'? At what point were they exposed to global competition?

In the export market. They very well may have remained protected at home but that doesn't help Hyundai sell Excels in the U.S. The domestic market was tiny and their growth was fueled by exports. And again, besides increasing trade in general this encouraged continued improvements because while the government may have been happy to subsidize it had every reason to want greater return and that meant industry needed to compete on the global market.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I think this will fit in here.

Do gun buybacks work, or buybacks of illegal goods in general work? Is there a price point you have to hit like market value or something like that, or does making it illegal persuade people to bring it in at a discounted rate. With all of the shootings happening over here I was wondering if anyone knew much about that?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Some TFR folks have followed past attempts at gun buybacks and would know more, but like you alluded the implementation matters a lot. Past buybacks have moronically offered a flat rate exchange, allegedly leading to people abusing the system by scooping up worthless or low-value junk and exchanging it for a profit. In addition to that, the exchange rates have been low enough to not offer much incentive to anyone who thinks critically about the situation for two seconds.

Even with proper incentives, the theory behind buybacks and reducing gun crime is very dubious, but that's getting off-topic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

asdf32 posted:

In the export market. They very well may have remained protected at home but that doesn't help Hyundai sell Excels in the U.S. The domestic market was tiny and their growth was fueled by exports. And again, besides increasing trade in general this encouraged continued improvements because while the government may have been happy to subsidize it had every reason to want greater return and that meant industry needed to compete on the global market.

Right, also the Latin Ameriican states suffered from what I called path dependency: Their bureaucratic authorities responsible for economic policies were not interested in resisting the import substitution elites, it was easier for them to approve budgets helping the import substitution industries, than to deal with the fact those industries were a drain on national welfare.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/p/briefing/factsheets/2015/10/08/wall-street-work-for-main-street/

I read through Hillary's wall street plan and thought it was neat. Some key points to it with either questions or comments:

• Hillary said that she would pass legislation that would allow shareholders in a company to vote annually on executive compensation. Is this a good way to curb or even going to happen? Don't CEO's own a ton of stock and would make it really hard to have something like that happen to begin with?
  • Is the "risk fee" proposed within presidential power to enact that fiscal policy?
  • Can the executive branch or federal reserve restrict the liquidity requirements more in the non banking financial institutions, or does a law need to pass through congress to force those institutions to have more liquidity?
  • What would the Volker Rule do to these financial institutions?
  • Didn't even think of extending the statute of limitations. Good call
  • Ohhhh yeah losing a lawsuit is an expense and thus is tax deductible :911:
  • Raising the cap on whistle blowing payments :toot:

Overall good stuff to read I hope the other candidates have equally detailed plans to pick apart. I'd especially like to see a reasonable republican and Sanders do something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This thread kind of dropped of my radar so I didn't realize anybody had responded to my posts. Apologies this is coming in late.

asdf32 posted:

China has sustained growth through periods of US and western recession. And at this stage the first world is diminishing in terms of its share of world consumption.

The upshot here is China, like other successful industrializing nations, relied heavily on the United States (and to a lesser degree, the West in general) as a consumer of last resort. China used export oriented growth to develop rapidly, and the United States made this possible by running a gigantic trade deficit. This has continued throughout boom and bust, so bringing up US recessions is irrelevant when the US hasn't had a trade surplus since the 1970s.

Without the United States acting as the buyer-of-last resort I'm not sure how successful various export oriented economies would have been. In a sense the US economy has been stimulating the rest of the global economy with its large trade deficit which is not necessarily the most balanced or desirable path for global growth.

quote:

So I don't think bubbles or "juicing" have played a necesary role in 3rd world export growth.

Well then answer my original question: "If we imagine a world where China and the US aren't juicing their economies and buying up so much of what the rest of the world sells then what might the world economy look like right now?"

quote:

I also don't see why you'd associate bubbles with [long term] growth. They're inneficient and potentially destructive.

Around the middle of the 1970s economic growth in the developed areas of the world slowed dramatically, and the postwar Bretton Woods system broke down. One of the responses that the share of GDP going toward financial activities began to increase significantly. Since this process of 'financialization' began some forty years ago the economy has behaved differently than it did in the past, with growth tending to produce unstable bubbles that inflate and inflate until they collapse and trigger a major crisis.

As a result it's very hard to identify countries that with high growth rates that haven't experienced serious problems with bubbles. This seems to have been the case in America, Japan, the 'Asian Tigers', Southern Europe, Canada and, of course, China. Other countries that have done a bit better like Germany or Australia (which I understand may also have a pretty big housing bubble) have in large part succeeded because their economies are oriented around exporting to the bubble economies, in particular the US and China.

So this comes back to my original question. Remove the US and China - both of which operate under their own rules and behave in very particular ways compared to the rest of the globe - and what would the global economy look like? How much of the current economic order is based on the very particular behaviour of these two countries, and how sustainable is this arrangement? How stable and desirable is it?

asdf32 posted:

Sorry I didn't help you more with this: That's a perfect example of how and why Chinese growth doesn't depend on U.S. bubbles

If you actually want to have a discussion I'm afraid you're going to have to unpack statements and actually explain why you think they support the case your making.

• Locked thread