Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015
Hehe gently caress 3O.

It's so fuckin funny bein an rear end in a top hat 1%er making GBS threads on the common man lmao. He should be a mod lol.

Seriously, gently caress him, ban him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you are the best troll

He's being truthful, insomuch as that's what Dallas PD does/says. They went into a hardcore crackdown on homeless recently, especially in the downtown area.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lard Goat posted:

Hehe gently caress 3O.

It's so fuckin funny bein an rear end in a top hat 1%er making GBS threads on the common man lmao. He should be a mod lol.

3O isn't even close to 1%

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
He doesn't worry about rent or mortgauge. He doesn't have to decide between buying animes and buying food. That puts him above 99% of goons.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

genesplicer posted:

Last winter we had, what for us anyway, was a series of bitterly cold nights. We do have a few homeless in our town that Mrs. Genesplicer and I recognize. We had gone to our local supermarket to buy groceries, and saw one of the local homeless in the liquor section looking over the various bottles and counting coins, to see if he had enough. Mrs. Genesplicer and I were nearby, looking at some booze for ourselves, and we went over to talk to him. We asked which bottle he was considering. He pointed out a fifth of vodka, but said he wasn't sure if he had enough. I looked over the coins, and estimated he had 3 or 4 bucks. Not quite enough. Mrs. Genesplicer looked at me and nodded. I handed him a ten and said "This should help. But please, go get something from the hot food display, too. It's a cold night."

He took the money and looked at us with disbelief. I think it was because we gave him money at a time when it was obvious he was going to buy booze, and were not judging him. We wished him well and went on our way. Later, in line, we saw him in the next lane, with his bottle of vodka and a hot chicken meal. He saw us and smiled.

Some people might criticize me for helping support his addiction. I don't care. I figure that most homeless people would not be homeless if they had a choice, and something put them in that lovely situation. If I can do something to ease their suffering and give them a little comfort, I will. I have taken some homeless to shelters. I even once gave a guy the jacket off my back because he was obviously freezing and I was headed home in my nice, warm truck. I have more. He didn't. Mrs. Genesplicer and I have bags of supplies that we give out, as well as a few bucks in each bag.

The people who just want to shove them elsewhere are dicks. I hate to tell you, but if you don't want to help, you are a dick, too. You don't have to give out money, but little things like not treating them like dirt as you walk past. Not calling the cops to move them along. They get harassed enough as it is. Something as simple as dry socks on a wet day can really do wonders for them. Little ways to acknowledge they are part of the human family and not forgotten.

You and Mrs. Splicer sound like pretty solid folks.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

genesplicer posted:

Last winter we had, what for us anyway, was a series of bitterly cold nights. We do have a few homeless in our town that Mrs. Genesplicer and I recognize. We had gone to our local supermarket to buy groceries, and saw one of the local homeless in the liquor section looking over the various bottles and counting coins, to see if he had enough. Mrs. Genesplicer and I were nearby, looking at some booze for ourselves, and we went over to talk to him. We asked which bottle he was considering. He pointed out a fifth of vodka, but said he wasn't sure if he had enough. I looked over the coins, and estimated he had 3 or 4 bucks. Not quite enough. Mrs. Genesplicer looked at me and nodded. I handed him a ten and said "This should help. But please, go get something from the hot food display, too. It's a cold night."

He took the money and looked at us with disbelief. I think it was because we gave him money at a time when it was obvious he was going to buy booze, and were not judging him. We wished him well and went on our way. Later, in line, we saw him in the next lane, with his bottle of vodka and a hot chicken meal. He saw us and smiled.

Some people might criticize me for helping support his addiction. I don't care. I figure that most homeless people would not be homeless if they had a choice, and something put them in that lovely situation. If I can do something to ease their suffering and give them a little comfort, I will. I have taken some homeless to shelters. I even once gave a guy the jacket off my back because he was obviously freezing and I was headed home in my nice, warm truck. I have more. He didn't. Mrs. Genesplicer and I have bags of supplies that we give out, as well as a few bucks in each bag.

The people who just want to shove them elsewhere are dicks. I hate to tell you, but if you don't want to help, you are a dick, too. You don't have to give out money, but little things like not treating them like dirt as you walk past. Not calling the cops to move them along. They get harassed enough as it is. Something as simple as dry socks on a wet day can really do wonders for them. Little ways to acknowledge they are part of the human family and not forgotten.

lol you had to ask your wife's permission to use $10

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

RideTheSpiral posted:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i gave a homeless man 10 dollars once and it made him very happy and he shook my hand and gave me a hug because he was going to be able to eat and maybe score some crack

but i dont give a poo poo what he was doing with that money

its his money at that point and it made the dude happy to have it

made me feel good to have helped a person in need

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
non-homeless people ask me for a few dollars for beer

not some spare change for bus fare
or a couple dollars for something to eat
i get asked for typically in the range of 3 to 5 dollars by people who are clearly not homeless for beer

and then i see them spending money they already have from their normal-person wallets

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
In America all it takes is one major finance strain(unemployment, medical emergency, property damage) and a missing support net and you can end up on the streets too! If you don't believe me, check out all the foreclosed homes!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

genesplicer posted:

ur a good egg

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

gary oldmans diary posted:

non-homeless people ask me for a few dollars for beer

not some spare change for bus fare
or a couple dollars for something to eat
i get asked for typically in the range of 3 to 5 dollars by people who are clearly not homeless for beer

and then i see them spending money they already have from their normal-person wallets

dont give money to hipsters

if you think about it they are the lowest scum on the earth

already have money but also move into the only place where homeless can get assistance by providing competition by being "ironic"

kill them imo

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
just avoid eye contract with them like a normal person god

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

RideTheSpiral posted:

cool story that never happened

happened to me once. i gave a dude a buck and then he asked if i had a five. not like the guy had anything to lose from asking for more.

if i'm at a fast food place and a homeless type asks for a burger i'll get that for them, and a side of fries. the way i see it's win win. he gets a meal, i get the fuzzy feeling of helping someone, and the satisfaction of knowing that down the line all those burgers will kill him and then he'll be off the street forever

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Lard Goat posted:

Hehe gently caress 3O.

He's a perfect Vonnegut character. We can't spare that.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Lard Goat posted:

Hehe gently caress 3O.

the common man is not homeless, makes you think

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

tetsuo posted:

the common man is not homeless, makes you think

yeah the homeless are lumpenproletariat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Uh, it's pretty obvious that 3O is not endorsing what the fuzz told him. I think the opposite, actually.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
keurig cups

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you're homeless please don't get in my face, I don't want whatever germs you're carrying in my lungs

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
God forbid I get the plague on my pubcrawl

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

RideTheSpiral posted:

I didn't ask. She nodded to let me know we were on the same page.

Gulluoglu
May 4, 2009
I lived in London a couple of years and some guy asked me for 20p when I was in Camden Town. I felt around in my pocket and gave him the 10p I had, and he started complaining that it wasn't what he wanted. Bitchy Brits. Just ask the next guy too

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I hope you lose everything you own and are reduced to panhandling, OP.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
Also make sure that if you see a homeless sleeping on the sidewalk you call 911 immediately, give no pertinent information regarding the situation, then walk away feeling very smug & self assured that you're an amazing, kindhearted citizen. Everyone who works on an ambulance will thank you. Namaste.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

three olives do you have siblings

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I like buying homeless guys the largest bottle of cheap vodka I can find. I get a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing that I was able to help contribute to their early deaths.

One time a homeless guy in my area was acting crazy and got hit by a car on the freeway. I'm pretty sure it was the same guy I had purchased a bottle for earlier that night.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

3O jacking off to the responses ITT

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6r3-sQr58

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I ran into a man at Tower City (it's a transit hub and shopping center) in Downtown Cleveland who said he was hungry and pleaded with me for help. I smiled, told him it was lunchtime, and I offered to get him anything he wanted at the food court.

He looked at me oddly, and explained he needed money and got belligerent, asking what I thought he was going to use the money for. I left giving him nothing. :smith:

Creative Bicycle posted:

Also make sure that if you see a homeless sleeping on the sidewalk you call 911 immediately, give no pertinent information regarding the situation, then walk away feeling very smug & self assured that you're an amazing, kindhearted citizen. Everyone who works on an ambulance will thank you. Namaste.

If it's a night where the weather is below freezing, DO call 911 so they can try and get that person some help or to a shelter.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 27, 2015

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMTPrLNDgGc

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Back in college a friend bought a bag of chips for a guy that hung outside a gas station. We started walking away and glanced back and the guy was throwing them into the garbage. It was a nice thought, at least. :smith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

3O isn't even close to 1%

he lives in Dallas not SF

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

he lives in Dallas not SF

Isn't he some cubicle slave in suburban Dallas? That's not even 1% for texas.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlazPgxKrA

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
during my jerk university days, i was 'pre-loading' on a bottle of vodka on a bench before going into a club to meet friends and a homeless dude approached me, asking if he could have a swig. told him he could have the rest of the bottle (about half left) if he chugged it in one.

he did it.

of course i'm still a tremendous jerklord so i'd do it again, but i've also given money so uh yeah, that's my story.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i slip 'em a little extra strength heroin but imply its just some mild poo poo... works every time

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlQobO7SHB0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

suck it homeless spikes