Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

To be fair to the showrunners they never plugged the separation as a major thing, it was just something in a list of "this season on The Simpsons" that the media latched on to for some reason. Here they are doing damage control from back in June:
http://www.people.com/article/simpsons-marge-homer-simpson-separation-temporary-executive-producer-al-jean
But no one seemed to notice and kept acting like it was some running change rather than an episode plot.

I still like The Simpsons, but yeah, not one of their best episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Knormal posted:

I still like The Simpsons, but yeah, not one of their best episodes.

It's not as bad as the Gaga Episode.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

twistedmentat posted:

It's not as bad as the Gaga Episode.

That's not saying too much. http://www.weepodcast.com/rankings/

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

There are at least three legitimately good episodes on that list and another three that don't deserve to be there.

Edit: But I guess that's only the episodes they've done episodes of.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 29, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm curious as to which episodes you think are legitimately good? Regardless of internet hive mind deciding when the series went bad, I can't say I've thought an episode in a season with double figures was 'good' even when they were airing. Some were 'alright' in the same way that some Family Guy post-comeback (and in hindsight, pre-comeback) are 'alright'. Like, they didn't feel like a complete waste of half an hour but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch them again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm curious as to which episodes you think are legitimately good? Regardless of internet hive mind deciding when the series went bad, I can't say I've thought an episode in a season with double figures was 'good' even when they were airing. Some were 'alright' in the same way that some Family Guy post-comeback (and in hindsight, pre-comeback) are 'alright'. Like, they didn't feel like a complete waste of half an hour but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch them again.

I seem to remember the RIbwich episode ("I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can") to be good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll admit I purposely avoided that podcast precisely because there's plenty of post-classic era episodes that are well-hated but I'm quite fond of. And before the 20something seasons really showed how much they're willing to settle with bad plots and jokes; I got quite defensive with my continuing choice to keep watching the show against the righteous TV geek hivemind where every show needs to end as soon as they stop their perfect batting average. (Heck, I still do.)

I am really curious whether or not anyone within the show fought against the "it was a all dream" ending. I get that it's probably the showrunner who had the final say, but I wonder if the writers even had a real debate over bad story choices like Sunday's cop out.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EL BROMANCE posted:

The most recent episode that I think is genuinely good is "The Saga of Carl" from season 24.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

EL BROMANCE posted:

A Totally Fun Thing that Bart Will Never Do Again, Gone Maggie Gone, Behind the Laughter, the Book Job are all generally held in relatively high regard, and I have a soft spot for Treehouse of Horror XX, Midnight Towboy and Marge Gamer.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 29, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rog McDodge posted:

I always thought the future of The Simpsons lay in a spin off called "Springfield".

It could feature the many other characters in the show and opens up a lot of different story possibilities and further characterisation of much loved folk...

The problem is that many of the minor characters are voiced by the same actors who voice main characters, such as Dan Castellaneta and Nancy Cartwright. So if you're going to end up paying them, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Tres MacNeille, etc. the same salary they make for an episode of The Simpsons, might as well keep making The Simpsons instead of risking name recognition.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

BJPaskoff posted:

The problem is that many of the minor characters are voiced by the same actors who voice main characters, such as Dan Castellaneta and Nancy Cartwright. So if you're going to end up paying them, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Tres MacNeille, etc. the same salary they make for an episode of The Simpsons, might as well keep making The Simpsons instead of risking name recognition.

Also the only reason the show is still on the air is probably for merchandising purposes. It's easier to get a store to buy stuff for a still-running show than an off-the-air show. You lose that benefit by doing a different show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I don't believe this counts as a spoiler, because we knew it anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cacator posted:

A Totally Fun Thing that Bart Will Never Do Again, Gone Maggie Gone, Behind the Laughter, the Book Job are all generally held in relatively high regard, and I have a soft spot for Treehouse of Horror XX, Midnight Towboy and Marge Gamer.

I'm also a big fan of That 90s show, but I can see how 20 year olds might not have enjoyed it, thinking "oh great an episode full of the poo poo my dad likes".

Honestly, I think the only reason the Simpsons would go off the air is if one of the main cast died.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm also a big fan of That 90s show, but I can see how 20 year olds might not have enjoyed it, thinking "oh great an episode full of the poo poo my dad likes".

Honestly, I think the only reason the Simpsons would go off the air is if one of the main cast died.

My issue with That 90's show was that the jokes were :effort:. The show was in it's prime in the 90's, now it's just jokes about that decade. It was the ep that made me stop watching the show, not because it is terrible, but because I knew then the show is not worth my time.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was around 20 when That 90s Show aired and will keep defending that episode. My friends IRL who've seen that episode also enjoyed it a lot. To me, the story works; the jokes were funny; and paradoxically there's attention to detail. (It's the first episode to address the 10 year gap in Homer and Marge's life.)

People who hate it talk about how Homer is quintessentially a boomer so the characterization sucks, but I always related to Home as a kid and teen way more than Bart. I loved the tongue-in-cheek meta nature of the whole thing (a show that was popular in the 90s having a period episode in the 90s), not unlike a lot of the show's other good meta episodes.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

twistedmentat posted:

this is none of the reason it's one of the nadirs of the series

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking if the writers are any good, the whole "Smithers comes out!" thing should be greated by "okay, thats fine, but Barts been drafted!".

Because in 2015, is it shocking to have a gay character, especially someone who has been known to be gay for what, 20 years, be revealed as such? They probably won't and we'll get a worse version of Homers Phobia.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

Because in 2015, is it shocking to have a gay character, especially someone who has been known to be gay for what, 20 years, be revealed as such?

The boat house in 1993 was the time. :(

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking if the writers are any good, the whole "Smithers comes out!" thing should be greated by "okay, thats fine, but Barts been drafted!".

Because in 2015, is it shocking to have a gay character, especially someone who has been known to be gay for what, 20 years, be revealed as such? They probably won't and we'll get a worse version of Homers Phobia.
Al Jean did an interview this week and clarified that the plot was about him coming out to Mr. Burns specifically. Supposedly the rest of the town is already aware at the time of the episode, but I imagine they'll awkwardly shoehorn Homer into the plot somehow.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Cue Detective

A TV superchef challenges Homer to a BBQ smoke-off, but Homer's secret cooking weapon is stolen, so detectives Lisa and Bart turn up the heat and grill some suspects in an attempt to smoke out the culprit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mister Kingdom posted:

Cue Detective

A TV superchef challenges Homer to a BBQ smoke-off, but Homer's secret cooking weapon is stolen, so detectives Lisa and Bart turn up the heat and grill some suspects in an attempt to smoke out the culprit.

Novelty Grill?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Plot seems simple and unambitious enough. I have moderate expectations for this.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I think this is a Matt Selman episode so it may be alright.

The use of the actual movie footage is interesting.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Bender!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Do not read our Yelp reviews

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Also, I died.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is a fairly accurate depiction of Bobby Flay.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This is the episode is the bare minimum of what I'd wish every modern Simpsons episode would have.

Why couldn't this have been the season premiere?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That was in a completely different league from last week's show. Why hasn't anyone at FOX stepped in and just given the show runner job to Matt Selman?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Echo Chamber posted:

This is the episode is the bare minimum of what I'd wish every modern Simpsons episode would have.

Why couldn't this have been the season premiere?

Didn't have a celeb guest voice?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't have a celeb guest voice?
It did. But the plot used them in a way that was not contrived or shoehorned in.

By bare minimum, I mean there's a plot that's resolved. There are jokes, some of which work well. It doesn't betray the characterizations of the Simpsons that I'm familiar with. I liked how the episode portrays Homer (and Bart, Lisa, and Maggie)'s sadness. Homer lying on the ground isn't from just from his laziness, but that compounded with having the one thing that motivated him taken away from him. Bart and Lisa's attempts to resolve the issue are endearing, but they too fall victim to defeat. It's the kind of pathetic despair that's amusing yet I can relate.

The episode as a whole isn't too special. But I miss the days when an episode like this was still considered average for the show, rather than a highlight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea that episode was, decent for this era. I liked the mystery and the kids investigating, and the dog with its head stuck in the jar was pretty funny. Also those stupid plugs are gross and dumb, and I love the visual of the kids using it to restrain the whole foods guy.

Weird usage of the True Detective theme though.

I swear, all the decent Simpsons writing is in Tapped Out. The halloween event just dropped and its way better written than the show.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 7, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Puffless

The news that their father really died of lung cancer induces Selma and Patty to quit smoking, but when Selma returns to the habit, a ticked off Patty moves in with Marge and Homer.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Interesting premise, buy they literally had to quit smoking last year when they were living with the Simpsons, they used e-cigs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also how is Marge's father a character that's never been on the show before? Seems perfect for jokes suited to the lazy writing of the last 15 years.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Jack Gladney posted:

Also how is Marge's father a character that's never been on the show before? Seems perfect for jokes suited to the lazy writing of the last 15 years.

Clancy Bouvier.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack Gladney posted:

He was in the navy, and his excessive swearing almost cost him a job as a baby photographer.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

He was in the navy, and his excessive swearing almost cost him a job as a baby photographer.

Was he the subject of a Paul Anderson film?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

greatn posted:

Was he the subject of a Paul Anderson film?

I don't think he hung out with a thinly veiled L Ron Hubbard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

J-Spot posted:

My god does Julie Kavner ever sound rough these days. If they could go ahead and write Marge out of the show that would be fine with me.

Tonight is the first episode of the season I've watched and the last recent seasons episode I saw was probably back in May. She sounds really really harsh now, it's really distracting. It feels like a really awful thing to say about a performer because it's not like there's anything they can do but man.

• Locked thread