Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That opening was loving terrifying and I'm 25. I feel bad for any kids watching (assuming children still watch The Simpsons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm always surprised every few years when I'm reminded that John K. still exists. He used to rail against shows like The Simpsons but I guess the guy has to eat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

I'm always surprised every few years when I'm reminded that John K. still exists. He used to rail against shows like The Simpsons but I guess the guy has to eat.

Animation has a way of uniquely embittering the people who pursue it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Nice touch having the Emmy in the cabinet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That one was kind of a mess.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

That one was kind of a mess.

Does seem like it would have been much more relevant at some point between 1998 and 2014.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And that one just sorta went nowhere.

Welp, they forgot to allocate time to anything. Good luck next year.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Welp, at least they gave us one good Halloween episode this year.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Godzilla bit felt it could have been better if its Hollywood franchise bashing had more teeth.

Third one just was. If not for the second act, I kind of wish this one made fun of those "found footage teens get superpowers" genre that's emerging from Hollywood. I did like Skinner correcting the spelling.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
They didn't show the "Treehouse of Horror" title card.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Sideshow Bob finally killing Bart and having to deal with everything that entails would be such a great premise, but instead we got whatever the hell that was. Homerzilla makes a great comparison piece to King Homer from season 4 to really drive home what's happened to this show over the years. I don't even know what was going on with that third one. Was is a parody of something? It was just kind of stuff happening and it was handheld style for some reason?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

robot roll call posted:

Sideshow Bob finally killing Bart and having to deal with everything that entails would be such a great premise, but instead we got whatever the hell that was. Homerzilla makes a great comparison piece to King Homer from season 4 to really drive home what's happened to this show over the years. I don't even know what was going on with that third one. Was is a parody of something? It was just kind of stuff happening and it was handheld style for some reason?

It's a spoof of Chronicle, which is actually a pretty good movie, but it came out three years ago and was a mild sleeper hit so I'm not sure why they decided that was gonna be their target.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

J-Spot posted:

John K will do anything for money nowadays. Last year he did animation bits for Miley Cyrus's tour, of all things.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I didn't see this as a particularly great episode, but my god did I love the line "Twenty-Four years of trying to kill a ten year old child finally pays off!"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Adder Moray posted:

I didn't see this as a particularly great episode, but my god did I love the line "Twenty-Four years of trying to kill a ten year old child finally pays off!"

Also the line about being in a bad New Yorker comic hit me in just the right way somehow.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Sideshow Bob one was decent, the other two were hot garbage. I miss when they were 8 to 10 minute stories or parodies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, first one was amusing, second started off okay, but it really fell flat. I'd rather not think about the 3rd.

Well, it was still better than farting Spider-Man.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

:geno: "Some stuff happens, and then the show ends." :geno:

Best description I can give for this instantaneously forgettable THOH.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It still astounds me that people still get excited for the THOH episodes, like they haven't been quickly thrown together, "let's get this out of the way" crap for the last 10-15 seasons. This was, as expected, no exception. Also as expected, they couldn't even follow through on their highly promoted gimmick of Sideshow Bob killing Bart. Why not just have him stay dead since its non-canon?? And of course Bob just stabs him without any buildup or fanfare. The other two segments were no different from any other non THOH trilogy episode they've done and fizzled out without any sort of conclusion.

Last week's episode, however, was surprisingly good. At this point I don't care if an episode is playing it safe and sticking to rehashed stories as long as it utilizes the characters well, tells a proper story with a beginning, middle, and end, and is funny. We also got the Adult Halloween song which was pretty good.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Adder Moray posted:

Yeah this line was fun

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite visual from the first one was Bob using barts guts to turn him into a backpack.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The first one was good, it had some nice visual gags with the many deaths of Bart and Sideshow Bob made some good jokes. The second one started good and had some funny lines (I still refuse to admit the old man was right!), but then fell apart halfway through. They should have just stuck to parodying the original Godzilla instead of trying to make lame jokes about reboots. The third one was bad and pointless.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I liked about the first segment was Bob being a snobby college professor, because the best thing about his character has always been his pretentiousness.

Godzilla parodies are so so SO tired, maybe it would have been less so 20 years ago? A joke about voice dubbing! A joke about Godzilla being a guy in a suit! - written by professional comedy writers in TYOOL 2015

The third segment was such a wasted opportunity. They haven't yet parodied the found footage genre as far as I know, and the POV shots were cool. Unfortunately they chose Chronicle of all things, and did nothing with it, and just as they've done for THOH segments for probably a decade now, the segment just kind of ends with no conclusion or anything resembling a proper story.

You know what would have been awesome? Present the whole episode as a parody of the VHS films, with all three segments being found footage or mockumentary. But that would require even the slightest bit of ambition.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My favorite joke was Homer, after finding his dead son, attacking Bob and shouting "That's for trying to frame Krusty!"

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
High Tension Wires! Never Been Snapped By Monsters

Was Agnes supposed to be Yubaba from Spirited Away? And she's flying around in the background of a Godzilla parody because Godzilla and Spirited Away are both Japanese, I guess?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Adder Moray posted:

This line was great but otherwise that segment felt really off to me. There's still not much joy to be had in watching a grown man literally play with a child's corpse for 10 minutes.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I liked the 3rd bit just because the theme of "Maggie secretly is super powerful / intelligent" has existed since the Tracey Ullman show.

What was that first thing she built? A Christmas Tree?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

First part was legitimately gross and full of good callbacks which is always nice. Probably about the best we could have got out of the idea. Agree that the second one could have just stuck to parodying the original Godzilla (bad dubbing jokes and all). And the only good thing about the last one was Maggie, as mentioned :3 .

At least this year they stuck to macabre/supernatural/scifi and left out all the garbage movie parodies (I still cannot believe the Smith parody exists).

Oh, and they did do a found footage thing with the Paranormal Activity one a few years ago.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PowerBuilder3 posted:

What was that first thing she built? A Christmas Tree?

I think it was a stacking rings toy

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Friend With Benefit

Lisa befriends a super-rich new kid at school and Homer happens to hit it off with the child's father, but the kid turns out to be a bully and Lisa attempts to end the friendship, which doesn't sit well with Homer, who's become accustomed to enjoying the good

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I want to go to Dessert Island.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This one was pretty solid, abrupt ending and all. (I get that their actual time is shorter than it's ever been but it's been years since the networks made that choice, they should be used to the pace by now.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This episode perfectly embodies every forgettable episode we've had for the past few years.

There's no red flag that I could single out as bad, but the whole thing has some numbing effect even though it lacks anything particularly offensive.

Did like the YVAN EHT NIOJ reference.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I am kind of upset the couch gag did not involve the family on the couch. Was that a first for a normal episode?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Lisa With an "S"

Broadway legend Laney Fontaine beats Homer for $5,000 at poker, and to square the bet, Homer must loan Lisa to Laney for a month. When Laney turns Lisa into a show-biz star, Marge and Homer feel they may have been too hasty in letting her go, and head to the Big Apple to bring her home.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Meh.

I liked Amish Flanders.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I like that they're basically admitting the tag is a waste of time.

It would be better if it weren't, but you take what you can get.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't help but that part was written for Elaine Stritch, even though she died a few years ago.

That was a pretty serviceable episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Paths of Glory

Lisa sets out to restore the tarnished reputation of Springfield's first female inventor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Paths of Glory

Lisa sets out to restore the tarnished reputation of Springfield's first female inventor.

uugh, State of the Union address instead.

• Locked thread