Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Welcome to a story for the ages!

On a foreign, sandy shore, thousands of miles from the powerful citystates of Achaea, lies a city.It is a city beloved of many of the gods, filled with untold wealth. It’s name... is Troia. And just recently, it became home to the most beautiful woman in the world - Helen, and a thousand ships with a thousand thousand men from Achaea to bring her home to her husband the King of Sparta, Menelaus.

The Achaeans have made landfall, and the city of Troia is now under siege. Soldiers like you will play a decisive part in the victories made here, but heed the voice of the gods. For no mere mortal could turn from their fury, just as any true hero will shine with their favour.

Hello and welcome to a busb and Highwire soldiers mafia game.
This is the signups thread for the game so please post below if you wish to play!

Oh right, if you haven’t played a soldiers game here’s something I prepared earlier

RULES AND STUFF
The game is separated into two threads of 17 players. Each is headed by the respective thread ruler:
CCKeane: King Agamemnon of Argos, Ruler of the Achaean Thread
Pinterest Mum: King Priam of Troia, Ruler of the Trojan Thread

What is a soldiers game?

You as a player are only part of one thread, which is ruled by one of the chosen King. You win when the King of the opposing thread is killed. Each thread has a scumteam seeking to bring down the King, which the town needs to hang during the day. The two threads then fight each other every night.

Posting Rules - Wow Tao Jones really loved all caps

1: DON'T EDIT YOUR POSTS!
2: DON'T TALK ABOUT SPECIFIC NUMBERS OR IN LANGUAGE THAT CAN INDICATE SPECIFIC NUMBERS! "I am really strong at melee combat!" "I'm weak, don't make me fight coach!" are examples of OK things to say. "I have 6 combat skill" is an examples of something that is NOT OKAY to say. Most of the specific number stuff is gone in this iteration of the game, but if there is a role PM related number, don't talk about it.
3: DON'T TALK TO PEOPLE WHO YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO! THIS INCLUDES AFTER YOU'RE DEAD, PLEASE!
4: DON'T PUBLISH ANYTHING FROM A ROLE PM. "I do damage" "I'm a fighter, put me in the front" "I can attack multiple enemies" "I debuff people" are acceptable things to say. (See Rule 2 as a guide)

The first violation in a thread will result in the entire thread being WARNED.
The second and future violations in a thread will result in the offender being MODKILLED.
This means that if winvirus is in your thread and violates secrecy for the first time, and then you violate secrecy, he will generate the WARNING and you will be MODKILLED.

Winning the Game
You win the game when the rival thread's Ruler is eliminated. The King may be killed via being hanged by a majority vote, or being killed in battle. The best way to kill the enemy ruler is to reduce the population of the enemy thread in battle (and through other means, if available) as quickly as possible. Rulers may not take the field themselves until they cannot assign 5 other players to battle, at which point they MUST assign themselves to battle.

RULE: Deadlines & Battle Times
Hangings will be resolved and flipped at the same time for both threads, so there is no penalty for reaching a consensus early. Battle orders and battlefield location are due from the thread Kings 1 hour before the deadline time. Battle resolution will occur approx 24 hours after that. The attacking king chooses the battleground.

This game uses a dynamic hanging system which is determined by the defending king each day for both threads.

1) Regular Majority: A single player is hanged and is "instant" in that if a player gets a majority at any time, they are "hammered", may no longer post or use abilities, but discussion continues from the remaining players! The hanged player's cardflip will NOT be posted until the deadline mark.
2) Lights Out: As above, but any number of players may be hanged until the deadline hits, at which point all hanged players are flipped.
3) Double Plurality: the two players with the highest number of votes for them at deadline are hanged. In the case of ties, the players that reached the vote number threshold first are hanged first.

You may hang a player on your team's war party if you like, but if you kill him before the battle is resolved, he is dead and cannot participate in the battle. Any ongoing effects end when he is hammered.

RULE: The Scum
The scum are the only other faction in this game. As they are working to eliminate the ruler of the thread they're in, including scum in a raiding party can be extremely dangerous.

RULE: Cardflip
Cardflips come in the following format: Player Name, (Alignment, Role). No details about the player's powers will be posted, except for what you can assume based on that information.

quote:

Example TOWN cardflip: Highwire, town-aligned Achaean Phalanx, has been killed Night 0.
Example SCUM cardflip: winvirus, scum-aligned Trojan Slinger, had been killed Night 0.
Your Statistics

Every character will have active or passive abilities to use if they are picked to fight or otherwise.
Abilities are labelled:
melee: can target anyone in an adjacent row
ranged: can target anyone up to 1 row away
any: can target any player in combat
OoC: (Out of Combat) is a day or night action
Abilities are all secret, but generally affect one of the following three statistics:

COMBAT SKILL: proficiency at combat of any kind. The higher this is, the less likely you are to be injured in combat, and the more likely your enemies will be.

HEALTH: There are three health statuses in the game.
Healthy - you are fighting fit and are prepared to fight and take some blows
Wounded - You have been hurt, and are near death, you may still fight.
Dead - you have been mortally wounded and are dead. Resurrection is not a thing in Ancient Greece. Send a quick prayer to Hades and get back to it soldier!

DIVINE FAVOUR: Your capacity to win the favour of the gods to benefit you, or call down their wrath on your enemies. This is achieved through sacrificial offerings. Each night, if you are not part of the combat party, you may PM the mod to sacrifice as many offerings as you wish. Each player starts with a different amount, and offerings can be gained through different means throughout the game.
The thread that sacrifices the highest number of offerings that night wins a BOON and a WRATH, that certain players may bestow. The gods are fickle though, and you won't know how useful these are beforehand.

RULE: Battle Assignment
Raiding parties typically consist of 6 players: 3 in the front row, 3 in the back row.

RULE: Battle Actions
When you are assigned to battle, there is a 24 hour period between assignment and resolution. In that period, if you are in the raiding party you must PM your battle action to your thread’s mod before the 24 hours is up.

RULE: Battle Resolution
Battles are resolved like night phases in normal Mafia. Abilities in the round go off in the order: general abilities > abilities that compare statistics > healing.
1) Abilities are used according to which row you're in.
2) The Combat Skill of each row is compared to the corresponding row of the enemy thread, and the lowest Combat Skilled player in the lower combined row total is wounded.
2a) in the case of a tie, the lowest unbuffed skill takes the wound
2b) if still tied, whoever sent in their Battle Action PM last takes the wound
3) the lowest combat skill player left on either side takes a wound.
EXAMPLE:
code:
Battle for Trojan Battlements - Combat skill after abilities
R|M   M|R
2|4   6|2  
2|4* v 5|0* 
2|5   3|2* 
the two Melee ranks fight, 13 vs 14, the two players with 4 combat skill, one of the players was debuffed -2 from combat skill 6, so the untouched 4* player takes a wound
the two Ranged ranks fight, 6 vs 4, the 0* player takes a wound.
of the 5 players with 2 combat skill, two of them had a base skill of 1. The 2* player that sent in their night action last according to timestamps takes the wound.

The left party wins combat, taking 1 wounds to the right party's 2 wounds. the left thread now controls the Trojan Battlements.

Dying
If you are reduced to DEAD at any point during the DAY phase, you IMMEDIATELY die. If you are reduced to DEAD in a BATTLE, you do not die until the END of the battle!

RULE: Battle Victory
Battle victory is determined in the following order:
1) the number of deaths caused in battle
2) If the above is equal, then the amount of wounds caused in battle
3) Offense wins if both 1) and 2) is a stalemate.

busb fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Basically as a player, hang scum, kill enemy thread duders. Dont let your king die. Easy.

Achaean Thread :helladid:
  1. CCKeane :hist101:
  2. Asiina
  3. Beetphyxious
  4. bowmore
  5. Merk
  6. King burgundy
  7. Capitalist pig
  8. Diqnol (GIEUSEPPE PIZZAPIE)
  9. EccoRaven
  10. FoxTerrier
  11. Hiipfire
  12. Little Mac
  13. Mithross
  14. Opopanax
  15. Rarity
  16. THENABSTER
  17. TMM
  18. Verr

Trojan Thread::horse:
  1. Pinterest Mum :hist101:
  2. 100yrs
  3. Amoeba
  4. Betrayer (MEDS CURE SCHIZOS)
  5. Bifauxnen
  6. Birdstrike
  7. BottleKnight
  8. Kashuno
  9. Lumpen
  10. imgay
  11. Pecota
  12. Puntification
  13. Section 31
  14. Sodomeow
  15. tithin
  16. The Ninth Layer
  17. Tremendous Taste
  18. VENOM SOAG

Replacements:
  1. wins90210

busb fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 17, 2015

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
in

more like athrilles amirite

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I am so in :hist101:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Join me, friends.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah boyyyy

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Signing up duh.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
im so loving confused by this op

im in

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't read the op lets do it

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
This is not about communist confectionery crushing marshmallow peep capitalists so I won't pretend to not be disappointed but I'll sign up anyway cos I couldn't deny you all the pleasure of my company.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As one of the founding members of the CCKeane Fan Club I demand to be put on his team :colbert:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Keane thinks you can play mafia by making "japes". I'm looking forward to showing him that actually, it's very serious.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

me me

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I have a vague idea of what I should be doing in a Mafia game.

Ah well, sign me up boss.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I will battle

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Keane thinks you can play mafia by making "japes". I'm looking forward to showing him that actually, it's very serious.

PMom thinks he can play mafia.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah ok, I'll sign up.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dibs on Eris.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

In as Hector

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
in like flynn

e: dear King Keangamemnon always do Lights Out if you can thanks you are a wise and just ruler.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 27, 2015

Sodomeow
Sep 26, 2015
ill play

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to play

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Every Achilles needs a heel. I'm in.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Me me me!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I am in, to crush Cowardly Cowardly Keane.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
YES requesting to be on keane's side.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I'm in

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
busb you buffoon you forgot to announce the game in the announcement thread!

luckily I had your back

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm on team Keane

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'll play with gusto.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'll play with gusto.

I'm afraid Gusto won't be joining us this game, are you willing to play with CapPig instead?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
If you wish to play for a certain King then you'd better appeal to them directly!

They will be picking their threads one person at a time as was suggested in the discussion thread. It's out of my hands, friends!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I pick PMom.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Keane I was part of your fanclub pick me pls.

Also my alignment is really easy to tell, so that's a bonus for having me in your thread.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Keane, hold me. Hold me close to your heart.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Anybody who said "Please put me on Keane's team" I will do my best to pick!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
CCKeane is a false god, he is a trickster god. He is Sheogorath. He is a sheep in a jester's clothes!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

CCKeane is a false god, he is a trickster god. He is Sheogorath. He is a sheep in a jester's clothes!

All of these things are true, yes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CCKeane posted:

Anybody who said "Please put me on Keane's team" I will do my best to pick!

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Keane, pick me. I'm actually a God in human form so I mean things will go pretty well for you.

• Locked thread